Thread: Is VH/VH Really The Hardest? Or Not?

Bellus88's Avatar Ducenarius

Icon5 Is VH/VH Really The Hardest? Or Not?

I recently downloaded 9.0 and I will start playing again eventually but what is really the hardest difficulty? I heard before that Hard is harder than "Very Hard" for battle and campaign difficulty, is it still true for this mod?

Default Re: Is VH/VH Really The Hardest? Or Not?

Yep, hard/hard is recommended.

So H/H is really harder than VH/VH? You are 100% sure?

Actually this mod is balanced for M/M. But vanilla-wise I think H/H is harder, something about a bug with VH/VH

What do the house rules say about difficulty?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellus88 View Post
    What do the house rules say about difficulty?
    M/M

Is M/M really harder than H/H or VH/VH on this? Has anyone had experiences with this?

I know this forum is practically dead but can anyone who has a lot of experience with this mod please share their experiences with this?

I made the mod and playing on H/H you will never finish the campaign. Playing on M/M helps the player hang in there. SPQR was never designed with EASY in mind. You can always playing Medium for strategy and Hard for battles but the casualties will get very high. Read the readme and also the info at this forum and it will help you, the first time you play you will see that M/M is better, but remember in the vanilla the game gets easier as you play, in SPQR the campaign gets very Hard late in game. Also play with the script activated and dont forget to reactivate the script every time you load a saved game.

I hope this helps. sorry for the late reply but many have lost interest since RTW2 came out which is a piece of Arcade garbage. :-)
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956 View Post
    I made the mod and playing on H/H you will never finish the campaign. Playing on M/M helps the player hang in there. SPQR was never designed with EASY in mind. You can always playing Medium for strategy and Hard for battles but the casualties will get very high. Read the readme and also the info at this forum and it will help you, the first time you play you will see that M/M is better, but remember in the vanilla the game gets easier as you play, in SPQR the campaign gets very Hard late in game. Also play with the script activated and dont forget to reactivate the script every time you load a saved game.

I hope this helps. sorry for the late reply but many have lost interest since RTW2 came out which is a piece of Arcade garbage. :-)
    Yes it helped but I am still tempted to try it on H/H, I want a really hard experience. I might not end up playing your mod for a very long time since I am playing a campaign in THERA:The Great Torment, a fantasy mod for the kingdom expansion. I have also been neglecting that game due to the multiplayer games I play that occupy most of my gaming time, Planetside 2, Star Trek Online, Command and Conquer 3 Kanes Wrath and Halo The MasterChief Collection on Xbox One. Maybe in 1-2 years I will play your mod, I am missing the classic graphics/RTW1 game engine.

Yes, Rome 2 is an arcade like piece of crap but the Mods for it have really made it better so it isn't like that but I would not know for sure since I have not played Rome 2 or any of it's mods yet.

SPQR is the only thing bringing me back to RTW and any other TW game actually. Paradox games stole me from TW, the diplomacy is just unsurpassed

Give it a go - its not easy I can tell you that though. I've dabbled in a VH/VH campaign and the core aspects that make SPQR are transformed on steroids. Logistics, planning, and managing the economy (just to name a few) became really really really really important (Did I mention really?). Attrition is tough to deal with however, as the enemy will eat up your units even quicker, due to the +7 Attack they receive on VH. That makes it nasty but still somehow fun experience when waiting to retrain your legions for 20 turns. I do have to say though the experience level of your troops will save you. After you reach the 4th or 5th level barracks +an academy or higher, you do have a good shot of defeating everyone (you'll have more confidence before battles that much I can confirm). But...by then as your empire grows, its no some much about the other factions...as it is about whats going on inside, such as the roman rebels.