Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Border Princes Redone Mod (Preview 18.04.2015 - Shield Guards)

FakeTwin's Avatar Libertus

Default The Border Princes Redone Mod (Preview 18.04.2015 - Shield Guards)

Okay, I have to admit: at first, I didn't want to announce this before it was at least half done, but I really can't wait any longer - too excited ;-)

MOD DESCRIPTION:

You never played the Border Princes, because you thought it was too generic? Rejoice, because after a long abscence (You might remember my mercenary units Norse Dwarf Warriors, Norse Dwarf Crossbows, Shield Maidens and Berserkers (all inlcuded in the last release of COW); as well as my units for the Border Princes Carlssons Infantry and Carlssons Cavalry (to be included in the upcoming version of COW - at least as far as i know)), I started modding again!

So, what is this mod about? To be short: a complete revision of the Border Princes faction: They will field a variety of low level, rather weak levies and militias, as well as some high-end but VERY expensive units that are also weak in numbers.

FACTION DESCRIPTION AT A GLANCE:

- Strengths: Diverse army, many ranged units

- Weaknesses: Elite units expensive and few in numbers, weak artillery

ROSTER:

Because I don't know how many slots for new units will be left after the upcoming 1.6 Release of Rage of the dark gods (unfortunately there is a hardcoded limit of 500 units...why, CA, why?), the unit roster is extremely work in progress. A few units, namely Catapults and Tilean Triumphalists will remain as they are. The others will be completely new or remodelled/reskinned. Maybe I will be forced to cut some of the planned units (as I mentioned: unit cap), but my concept looks like this:

INFANTRY:

- Peasant Milita: spearmen; weak but numerous, lightly armoured

- Badlanders: missile infantry; armed with throwing weapons (daggers) and one-handed weapons, no shields, can hide in long grass, lightly armored

- Spearmen Milita: spearmen, slight remodelling+reskin of existing unit, lightly armored

- Crossbow Milita: missile infantry; slight remodelling+reskin of existing unit, lightly armored

- Border Rangers: missile infantry; archers armed with bows and spears, can hide in woods and long grass, lightly armored

- Yeomen Militia: missile infantry; longbowmen capable of taking up a melee fight as well

- Carlssons Guards: light Infantry; armed with swords and shields, comparable to Empire Swordsmen - will already be included in 1.6 as far as I know

- Enforcers/Bounty Hunters (don't know how to call them yet): missile infantry; armed with throwing weapons (nets) and two 1-handed weapons

- Hinrikness Axemen: missile infantry; norse-influenced soldiers armed with 2-handed axes/two 1-handed axes (not decided yet) and throwing axes

- Shield Guards: heavy Infantry; armed with 1-handed weapons and shields; slightly better than Empire Swordmen but weaker than Greatswords - DONE! (for screenshots, please take a look at post #2)

- Doppelsöldner/Double Mercenaries (don't know how to call them yet): heavy infantry; heavily armored soldiers wielding 2-handed swords - equivalent of Imperial Greatswords - DONE! (for screenshots, please take a look at post #2)

- Landsknecht Pikemen: spearmen; comparable to units like the Alcatani Fellowship, Leopolds Leopard Company etc.

- Vidovdan Guard: heavy infantry; remodelling+reskin of existing unit: Will be 2-handed Axemen instead of pikemen

- Barak Varr Mercenaries: missile infantry; elite of the elite: heavily armored dwarven mercenaries with handguns, shields and swords

- Tilean Triumphalists: same as before

CAVALRY:

- Rough Riders: missile cavalry; mounted archers with okay melee capabilities

- Outlaw Pistoliers: missile cavalry; armed with -you bet it!- pistols - DONE! (for screenshots, please take a look at post #2)

- Carlssons Cavalry: light cavalry; armed with one-handed weapons - will already be included in 1.6 as far as I know

- Gentry/Burgher Milita (don't know how to call them yet): heavy cavalry; heavily armored but otherwise not very remarkable

- Outcast Nobles: heavy cavalry; best regular unit of the Border Princes, slightly worse than imperial knights

- Kataphracts: heavy cavalry; remodelling+reskin of existing unit, general unit only

ARTILLERY AND SPECIAL UNITS:

- Catapults (same as before)

- Carronades: short ranged cannons; only capable of grapeshot

- Amber Wizards (remember good old Allor from "Shadow of the Horned Rat"? He's back and brought some friends!)

THINGS TO DO WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE IS DONE:

- Custom projectiles for Amber Wizards

- Custom projectiles for Badlanders (maybe)

- Custom animation for Rough Riders (a very, very big "maybe"!)

- Officers, musicians and standard bearers

- Unique generals with custom models+skins (taken from official and unofficial sources). Planned so far are: Sven Carlsson (already included in 1.6 as far as I know), Lord Durant of Akendorf, Duke Beauchamp of Brovska, Lietpold the Black

SPECIAL THANKS AND CREDIT

Models and/or textures used from the following mods:

- Call of warhammer

- Rusichi

- Modders resource "12thC_Knightly_MAA_v4" made by paleologos

Partly inspired by the army book "Warhammer Border Princes" made by Prince Nuada
    Last edited by FakeTwin; April 18, 2015 at 01:10 PM.

Default Re: The Border Princes Redone Mod

SCREENSHOTS:

1. Doppelsöldner/Double Mercenaries:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Description: The Border Princes are the frontier of the Old World and constantly under assault by Greenskins and Beastmen. Many Dogs of War hail from the Border Princes and few of the Princedoms maintain standing armies, preferring instead to hire mercenaries to fight their battles. These flamboyant mercenaries are well-trained and experienced swordsmen. Clad in heavy armor and wielding massive two-handed swords, they volunteered to fight in the front line, taking on extra risk, in exchange for double payment.

2. Outlaw Pistoliers:

Description: These young mercenaries are fairly inexperienced, but make an exceptional rapid response force. Under the guidance of their disillusioned leaders they have abandoned the Empire to fight outside the law. In combat their skills are average but they carry pistols, which only have a very short range yet are powerful enough to penetrate most armour.

3. Shield Guards:

Armor Upgrade 1:

Armor Upgrade 2:

Description: These grizzled veterans are covered in the scars from a life of war. They are among the best warriors these lands can give and so they often form the only standing fighting force of a region. Paid by the communities or rich individuals, they constantly train for battle and can afford good armour and weapons in order to unleash their fury towards the enemies of the Border Princes.
    Last edited by FakeTwin; April 18, 2015 at 01:10 PM.

Vette's Avatar Civis

For some reason I cant see the pic you posted.I realy want to see that pic lol.
    BP totaly needed "facelift".Hope you will manage to retexture all the units you planed.

@ Vette: How about now?
    Last edited by FakeTwin; February 14, 2015 at 04:48 PM.

Vette's Avatar Civis

Ugh still cant see it.Seems like its someting on my side I will try to find a way to fix it.

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

This looks awesome FakeTwin. Looking forward to see more previews.
    +1

Added a couple of screenshots -of somewhat better quality- to post #2.

david8291's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by FakeTwin View Post
    Added a couple of screenshots -of somewhat better quality- to post #2.
    very nice .Congratulation for your work!

Looks awesome, this would make me want to play Border Princes finally.

You had me at Kataphracts *sniff* you had me at Kataphracts.

Vette's Avatar Civis

I can finaly see them .Very nice work!

Sneak preview of Yeomen Militia (note: textures aren't final yet):

Last edited by FakeTwin; February 28, 2015 at 11:05 PM.

Great job, FakeTwin! We actually came to the same idea, that Border Princes must be a mix of local militia and a bunch of hire swords, but hands, hands... So it is great, that you are working on them

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Damn, excellent work Fake Twin. Have some more rep.

Vossie's Avatar Decanus

Nice to see someone working on the Border Princes, they needed some love!
    Imperium Romanum

My latest finished unit: Outlaw Pistoliers!

Screenshots:

Description: These young mercenaries are fairly inexperienced, but make an exceptional rapid response force. Under the guidance of their disillusioned leaders they have abandoned the Empire to fight outside the law. In combat their skills are average but they carry pistols, which only have a very short range yet are powerful enough to penetrate most armour.
    Last edited by FakeTwin; March 22, 2015 at 04:35 PM.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: The Border Princes Redone Mod (Preview 21.03.2015 - Outlaw Pistoliers)

Nice preview, fake twin and some top quality units for sure! Lookign forward to see some more. Here's some suggestions from official warhammer source material:

Default Re: The Border Princes Redone Mod (Preview 21.03.2015 - Outlaw Pistoliers)

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    Here's some suggestions from official warhammer source material:
    Interesting! Which book are they from? I would like to take a closer look.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Warhammer fantasy battles, Renegade Crowns.

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    Warhammer fantasy battles, Renegade Crowns.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast