Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: An Official note on ATTILA & Performance

Default Re: An Official note on ATTILA & Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    Pics or it didnt happen! Sry I find this hard to believe...unless ofc you are running an extremely low res with a very very beefy cpu.

And no 30fps is not "just fine". Its poor.

Btw just so we are clear good performance is around the 60fps mark...
    30 FPS is fine. 60 is better but 30 is perfectly playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22111 View Post
    how about "human eye can only see 25 fps" thing?

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Freud View Post
    how about "human eye can only see 25 fps" thing?
    If someone's eyes can only see 25fps, then their eyes or brain is clearly damaged.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

For me the performance seems really nice... runs just as well if not slightly smoother than Rome 2 and simply looks better. Rome 2 always annoyed me that is kinda looked worse than Rome 1 if you weren't playing on full settings, which I can't. Atilla looks a lot better though for the same performance. Kind of like Empire vs the beautiful optimisation and improvement in Napoleon.

Playing on max settings with-

Core i5-4590 3.3ghz
    8 GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 960

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22111 View Post
    I knew this would crop up. No actually 30fps isnt because if this is an average then you could see as low as 20fps which becomes like a slide show....

It's pretty common knowledge that ideailly you want to be running vsync (which eliminates tearing) and running a constant 60fps.

The most optimised titles will let you run at 60fps with very minor dips in framerates. However due to Attilas poor performance trying to reach a smooth 60 is hard. Even 2x980's cant cap 60fps...(thats around £900 just on gpus')

In fact no total war has ever run smoothly period due to the engines limitations. (massive armies you will always get some slow down...obviously if you had x2 980's and were on 1080p with a 5ghz cpu playing something like medwarkingdoms i'd expect it to be nr perfect). This is due to poor cpu optimisation and it being 32bit.

Fingers x for some improvements. Personally am gonna upgrade cpu soon which should see me make a 10 or more fps gain hopefully...well perhaps in a yr.
    Last edited by Totalheadache; February 18, 2015 at 05:53 PM.

I knew this would crop up. No actually 30fps isnt because if this is an average then you could see as low as 20fps which becomes like a slide show....

It's pretty common knowledge that ideailly you want to be running vsync (which eliminates tearing) and running a constant 60fps.

The most optimised titles will let you run at 60fps with very minor dips in framerates. However due to Attilas poor performance trying to reach a smooth 60 is hard. Even 2x980's cant cap 60fps...(thats around £900 just on gpus')

In fact no total war has ever run smoothly period due to the engines limitations. (massive armies you will always get some slow down...obviously if you had x2 980's and were on 1080p with a 5ghz cpu playing something like medwarkingdoms i'd expect it to be nr perfect). This is due to poor cpu optimisation and it being 32bit.

Fingers x for some improvements. Personally am gonna upgrade cpu soon which should see me make a 10 or more fps gain hopefully...well perhaps in a yr.
    I actually talk about 30 as being ok to play with because (for me anyway) it tends to be the low point not the high point or average.

Have you guys -with the fps problems- checked whether your game perhaps runs with the internal graphics of the CPU instead of your (external) hardware video graphics adapter ?
    That could seriously be an option for the bad performance you're experiencing....

I am sorry, are you saying that FX-3150 and Titan Z isn't good enough for this game? I had the same issues with Rome 2 and they have been easily sorted out by patching the hell out of the game, now you say it's actually our rig's problem? How will you explain that the game on recommended settings and on extreme settings has a difference of 1 fps? It seems to me someone didn't learn his lesson and decided to release a poorly optimized game once again. I have no trust left for CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Horizont View Post
    I am sorry, are you saying that FX-3150 and Titan Z isn't good enough for this game? I had the same issues with Rome 2 and they have been easily sorted out by patching the hell out of the game, now you say it's actually our rig's problem? How will you explain that the game on recommended settings and on extreme settings has a difference of 1 fps? It seems to me someone didn't learn his lesson and decided to release a poorly optimized game once again. I have no trust left for CA.
    FX-3150, can't find any info about that CPU. But since the Total War series engines are pretty much a single core processes and the AMD's processors really only shine in multi-core applications I suspect that your CPU might be bottlenecking games which are very CPU intensive.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi guys,

I just finished and uploaded the Hyperthreading and multicore support benchmarks:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14360604

I can imagine most of you may be satisfied that you can finally play this game, but It would make me very happy if anyone of you can take some time to contribute in the benchmark thread with a personal result. Please read the rules how to post your benchmark results.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Lurtz's Avatar Laetus

Is there a way to inject SMAA for Attila?

Quote Originally Posted by Lurtz View Post
    I tried sweetfx....didnt seem to work. Could try turning off mlaa and forcing some kind of AA via nvcp.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

LuciferHawk released GEM 1.08, which I have heard is already working in Attila.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

I just tried forcing fxaa and running mlaa in-game. Seems to improve things...could be placebo so unless someone else tries...

Lurtz's Avatar Laetus

I just tried forcing fxaa and running mlaa in-game. Seems to improve things...could be placebo so unless someone else tries...
    MLAA is way too blurry for my taste.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

If you preloaded the game and are having various performance issues verify the game's cache. Some files did not download during the preload causing the menu lag among other issues described.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

I wonder if everyone who is complaining about the "Extreme" preset being for "Future" GPUs raged similarly hard over Crysis when it came out or if they, like many others, respected that game for pushing the limits and are only raging at Attila because it's a CA game...

Quote Originally Posted by The High King of Ireland View Post
    I wonder if everyone who is complaining about the "Extreme" preset being for "Future" GPUs raged similarly hard over Crysis when it came out or if they, like many others, respected that game for pushing the limits and are only raging at Attila because it's a CA game...
    Eh crysis and total wars? Yeah right...

You think Attila is pushing boundaries and it's somehow introducing something amazing. Pull the other one. It's the same engine as Rome2, yes I admit campaign map is improved but the units and battle map...look pretty much as they did in Rome2.

So where are these new boundaries you talk of? There's more fire....ok...great you might say, but improve the engine then introduce these things.

CA got things backward and are making excuses. Pure and simple for whatever reasons they dont want to spend the money on an engine and now the "it's designed for new gpus in mind" excuses. Tosh.

BALONEY!

P.s and crysis...overhyped and overatted. I actually never saw the point of fiddling with a game to try and eek out more perf. Same goes for the witcher. Yeah they look good but I prefer my games to look good, run at 60fps and play well. if they dont I dont lose sleep over them...

Quote Originally Posted by The High King of Ireland View Post
    To be fair Crysis wasn't a CPU bottleneck where it barely used more then 1 core and was never 100% use.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurtz View Post
    Ive used this for a couple of games with good results and it adds FXAA, bloom, HDR etc.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/20110...-injector.html

Disclaimer* use at your own risk* although I never had any issues.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast