Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: An Official note on ATTILA & Performance

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

Default Re: An Official note on ATTILA & Performance

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Wait for next gen GPU are out like AMD 300x series and the next NVidia Pascal.
    I can run every game on max settings but since Atilla is soooo graphically demanding im going to have to dish out more money to buy a future GPU

Why ?

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorPrince View Post
    Yes the engine isn't optimized well. But it sounds like you would be happy if they just removed the extreme quality and let max be the highest just so you can say you can play on the highest settings. There really is nothing wrong with having a graphical setting which is currently too demanding... just don't use it if you can't! It may be a weird choice, but I fail to see how some level of future-proofing is bad.

Please note I am not saying that the game engine is optimized to a satisfactory level, but we are well beyond any chance of that for this game.
    That is exactly what i want to point out. The game is not optimized but CA are lying to us. I swear i would feel alot better if they just said:

"hey guys, really sorry, we haven't had much time to polish the game due to all the new features we put in so the game might be a little slow but we promise that we'll fix that a couple of weeks after release, sorry again "

Instead of posting drivel about how the game is so graphically awesome (it really doesn't look it) that the highest setting is only for cards in the future and at the moment there is no card alive that can meet the demands

I mean it's practically insulting !
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee786 View Post
    I can run every game on max settings but since Atilla is soooo graphically demanding im going to have to dish out more money to buy a future GPU

Why ?
    I will answer by giving another question. I want to play Attila. Why should I upgrade my old MS-DOS based pc ? Why ? If you can answer mine, you'll get yours.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Laetus

I can pretty much GUARANTEE that SLI won't work at 4K, for this game with certain builds. I have 2x GTX 980's in SLI at 3840x2160, and SLI gives me flickering screens unless done in windowed mode for almost every game (Rome 2 especially). Check out my extensive thread on Nvidia's forums about this ongoing (since launch of the 980's) and absolutely bloody shameful support of their drivers at: https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...-980s-thread-/.

The drivers WILL NOT WORK if this game uses the same engine, people will say that I won't know until it comes out, but I do!

CA flat out DOES NOT deliver what they promise (decent games, but never fully what they say), and Nvidia flat out lies... If a product says that it will work with SLI it damn well better!

I will answer by giving another question. I want to play Attila. Why should I upgrade my old MS-DOS based pc ? Why ? If you can answer mine, you'll get yours.
    Because your old MS-DOS system can't run ANY graphically demanding game on the highest settings.

Whereas mine can run EVERY game on the highest settings, except attila ofcourse since there is no gpu alive currently that can run that game on the highest settings, according to CA !

Now do you understand ?

Matamoros's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Nico CA View Post

Please note, that the ‘Extreme Quality’ setting is meant for future graphics cards, not for current gen.
    Oh ok, thank you for the heads up. So, can you guys tell us how do we get a flux capacitor?
    Nuestra Señora de Las Mercedes ha resurgido del fondo del océano para concluir su viaje.
    200 a
    ños después los piratas pierden. El oro vuelve a España. Misión cumplida.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Because your old MS-DOS system can't run ANY graphically demanding game on the highest settings.

Whereas mine can run EVERY game on the highest settings, except attila ofcourse since there is no gpu alive currently that can run that game on the highest settings, according to CA !

Now do you understand ?
    Not so long a ago a Core2Duo rig with GTX280 can practically run every game on the planet with the highest setting. Your rig wont be a high end rig anymore in 6 to 12 months.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Not so long a ago a Core2Duo rig with GTX280 can practically run every game on the planet with the highest setting. Your rig wont be a high end rig anymore in 6 to 12 months.
    Why, what revolutionary game is coming out in the next year that i wont be able to handle it ?

Yes that's in 6-12 month,. however the game is coming out in 2 days.

In 12 months time CA will probably be announcing a new total war game. By that time this business of future proofing Atilla will be irrelevant !!!

And anyway your'e missing the whole point im trying to make. CA is lying to us when they say that the highest settings can not run on any gpu in existence at the moment.

The truth is that the highest settings have not been properly optimized !

[QUOTE=kamikazee786;14362142]
    CA is lying to us when they say that the highest settings can not run on any gpu in existence at the moment. QUOTE]

No, CA would be lying to you if they said the highest settings can run on any gpu in existence at the moment.

Archimonday's Avatar Senator

I was completely flabbergasted by some of the benchmarks coming out. I just spent good money on my 290X, mobo, and processor, and some of these benchmarks are telling me that the game is only going to run at 15 - 20 frames. That is ridiculous. I almost refuse to believe them.

What is causing this terrible performance? The lack of 64-Bit CPU support? Poor use of memory? What? I mean I can run almost every game that has come out between 2013 and now on the Highest Possible settings at 1440X900 and higher resolutions with 50-60 frames with my current set-up, what makes Atilla different? Atilla is coming out now, not in ten years, it should run on the hardware we have now, not what we might have in a few years.

I shouldn't have to go out and buy a new GPU just to run your product when I already have one of the most modern ones out there. While I'm sure the difference between Max Quality and Extreme Quality is minimal, still.

I usually reserve my pessimism for when I actually get a chance to test things, but this is another 30 GB download of steam that I'd like to know is going to run after I wait the 10 hours on my slow-regional-internet to try it.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Keep it serious... Core2Duo and GTX 280 was long ago, please stop defending Lestat, you are not obligated to it.

Release date of Nvidia GTX 280 6/17/2008
    Release date of first Core2Duo 2006

That's lightyears in IT Captain Buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by von stoker View Post
    No, CA would be lying to you if they said the highest settings can run on any gpu in existence at the moment.
    That's obviously correct.
    Last edited by alQamar; February 14, 2015 at 07:15 PM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Am I the only one that finds it funny that they have renamed low and medium to "max performance" and "quality"? Actually its not funny at all and somewhat similar to a politician telling you that water going onto your boot is only rain.

The worst thing about all of this to me anyway, is that this series is a PC only exclusive..... it just boggles my mind at how incompetent they are when it comes to making something PC specific.

Most games we get on PC nowadays are crappy console ports, but after all these years of working with PC architecture you would think they learned how to give you a solid performing game, but it just keeps getting worse and worse

StormOfRazors's Avatar Foederatus

Why ?
    Firstly, I would like to start by saying I agree Total War needs a lot of optimising or a new engine. And CA's business practices to late leave a lot to be desired. Also, we dont know how the day 1 version of the game will perform yet, as it is allegedly 'improved' from the press preview build. (Ill have to see it to believe it but whatever)...

BUT, I think that you are exaggerating a bit. Run every game at max settings? What resolution are you using, What FPS average are you personally content with, do you enable MSAA and other enhancements etc?
    I think you will find that this will be different for different people, and your broad statement implying that attila is the one unoptimised game on the market you cant handle is ridiculous.
    Be aware also that as has been said before, these are presets - you can go advanced and customise it to your liking, and by removing 4xMSAA you should get a huge frame boost that will make the rest of the 'extreme' settings within range of a modern card. I did something similar in Rome 2, I didnt care for MSAA or other effects like heat haze, and this led to a good experience with the rest of the settings maxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Am I the only one that finds it funny that they have renamed low and medium to "max performance" and "quality"? Actually its not funny at all and somewhat similar to a politician telling you that water going onto your boot is only rain.
    Yes I wish they didnt name them like that. Its like changing the words 'job layoffs' into 'workforce restructuring' - because euphemisms will totally trick PC gamers into thinking their low end rig is more powerful. *facepalm

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

So if this is the case, how well will Attila run on low end computers... for example a MacBook Pro (non retina display) using boot camp?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    Keep it serious... Core2Duo and GTX 280 was long ago, please stop defending Lestat, you are not obligated to it.

Release date of Nvidia GTX 280 6/17/2008
    Release date of first Core2Duo 2006

That's lightyears in IT Captain Buzz.
    I'm not defending anything. Obviously you did not understand my point. What is your attacking anyway ?

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

And they should rename "extreme quality" into "legendary quality."

Where are the memes, folks?

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Let's just all agree that this new 'uber quality' setting is simply based on one thing. The engine is outdated and not capable of the task at hand.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Quote Originally Posted by Nico CA View Post

There are 5 quality presents you can select in Total War: ATTILA
    (you can always go into ‘Advanced’ and tweak yourself of course).
    Euhmm..... I don't want to tweak myself: I'm already satisfied the way I am

What is "Proximity fading"? It's in the options

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast