Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: An Official note on ATTILA & Performance

CA Developer Icon An Official note on ATTILA & Performance

Hi guys!

There’s a few threads popping up with people worried about their kit running the game, we just wanted to clear up a couple of misconceptions that might help you out.

1) The “Recommended Spec” is not the spec that is required to run the game on full max quality settings at 1440p. It is a spec which we believe gives you a good experience of the game as we’d recommend it is played. If you have better hardware you will get better results.

There are 5 quality presents you can select in Total War: ATTILA (you can always go into ‘Advanced’ and tweak yourself of course).

• ‘Max Performance’ – integrated chipsets and older cards
    • ‘Performance’ – low end cards
    • ‘Quality’– mid range cards
    • ‘Max Quality’ – high end cards
    • ‘Extreme Quality’ – future cards – no card is set to this out of the box

The official “Recommended Spec” is pegged to the ‘Quality’ setting at 1080p ‘out of the box’.

‘Extreme Quality’ also activates 4XMSAA, which will have a particularly big performance impact. Please note, that the ‘Extreme Quality’ setting is meant for future graphics cards, not for current gen. This is why it's above Maximum Quality.

2) The Min and Rec specs are higher than ROME II, it is a new game that is going on two years more recent and is based on a newer iteration of our TW Engine. As a result it is more demanding, if you ran ROME II at a certain combination of settings, ATTILA will be different. If you have high end kit though, ATTILA will certainly look more impressive.

Note also that the ‘Extreme’ setting is not the same in each title.

3) There has been work done on performance and optimisation since the review build. How much that might effect your particular spec though we wouldn’t be able to say.

4) The way the game handles texture resolution has changed. In ROME II it was tied to the quality setting. In ATTILA it is based on available VRAM.

Finally, make sure you update all your drivers to the latest versions before you play on Tuesday, that is likely to make a huge difference.

Default Re: An Official note on ATTILA & Performance

Extreme quality meant for future graphics cards...

Hohoho pull the other one...are you serious?

This is going straight up at guru3d...they will love this..

Nice, future proofing is always welcome.

From my understanding there is no MSAA x2, any reason for that? Its a nice sweet spot between jaggys and performance, especially on 1440p displays.

Quote Originally Posted by agent 47 View Post
    Nice, future proofing is always welcome.

From my understanding there is no MSAA x2, any reason for that? Its a nice sweet spot between jaggys and performance, especially on 1440p displays.
    Hi agent 47,

Thanks for your message. We are looking at adding 2xMSAA and 8xMSAA post launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico CA View Post
    Hi agent 47,

Thanks for your message. We are looking at adding 2xMSAA and 8xMSAA post launch.
    what no x2 msaa...and whos the 8xmsaa for 4x980 sli on 1080p?

oh wait sli isnt working so pray tell what use is 8xmsaa?

Hi agent 47,

Lovely stuff, thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    Extreme quality meant for future graphics cards...

Hohoho pull the other one...are you serious?

This is going straight up at guru3d...they will love this..
    Hi Totalheadache,

Thanks for your message. We are also planning for the future with Total War: ATTILA so that the game can make the most of graphics cards that are yet to be released.

what no x2 msaa...and whos the 8xmsaa for 4x980 sli on 1080p?

oh wait sli isnt working so pray tell what use is 8xmsaa?
    SLI is working according to Nvidia, They've said they already have profiles setup for Attila

Hi Totalheadache,

Thanks for your message. We are also planning for the future with Total War: ATTILA so that the game can make the most of graphics cards that are yet to be released.
    How it that possible when you dont know what they are??????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by damien007 View Post
    SLI is working according to Nvidia, They've said they already have profiles setup for Attila
    Seeing is believing...
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; February 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: dp/merged

The settings are designed to use more power than is currently available (outside of 4xSLI). But will be available with graphics cards in the future?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Dev house usually gets prototype of in development GPU (and CPU).
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Please note, that the ‘Extreme Quality’ setting is meant for future graphics cards
    I just couldn't resist signing up to comment how silly this is You don't get to hand wave it like this. You can't rely on something that doesn't exist to solve your problem, because that something might not come to existence in the first place. True, future video cards will have more shaders, more memory, higher clock, but if the video card makers don't include driver-specific optimizations it will take many many years until the performance is satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Dev house usually gets prototype of in development GPU (and CPU).
    Sorry to say but I think thats baloney. Have been a member of a tech site for years and have never heard of or seen it done.

Wait I'll ask the owner of the site...

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Hi Totalheadache,

Hahahaha, funny thread! I cant really believe my eyes. There is always a first time for everything but seeing an official dev already with an excuse for bad performance is an entirely new experience.

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    Hahahaha, funny thread! I cant really believe my eyes. There is always a first time for everything but seeing an official dev already with an excuse for bad performance is an entirely new experience.
    What bad performance ? Here's merely stating they added extra graphic options for future GPUs.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Hi Totalheadache,

What cards are those? I want to start saving for one.

‘Extreme Quality’ – future cards – no card is set to this out of the box
    "Extreme Quality" setting is not supported by the old Warscape engine, I strongly suppose.
    A new 64 bit graphic engine based would have worked a lot better without the need of any future GPUs, as you sad previously.
    An engine as Warscape not fully supporting DX11 (and multi-core CPU high-end PCs) won't passably run Attila TW at extreme quality, so buy a new GPU is just a waste of money!
    Last edited by rafmc1989; February 13, 2015 at 12:02 PM.

I don't understand.........
    RECOMMENDED:

• Processor: 2nd Generation Intel Core i5
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti or AMD Radeon HD 5870
    • DirectX: Version 10
    • Hard Drive: 35 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: PC integrated graphics chipsets require 64 bit Windows, e.g. Intel HD series.

Im guessing the HD5870 is considered Max or Max Performance? If so then since my HD7870 being a couple of generations newer should be able to handle Quality or Max Quality. Where does that leave the placement of the R290/X series? In all the benchmarks ive seen so far the R290 hasn't gotten great scores at all.
    There are just so many things that don't add up nor pass the smell test.

I honestly think this is all a ploy, the engine has reached it's end of life cycle with Rome 2 and it's not just performance that's an issue, it's other things as well like unit interaction, etc.... and now they're just polishing a turd, which I sadly think they will do even for the next title as well.
    To break it down I mean, if the game and Warscape ran flawlessly and were well optimized I would buy their excuse of
    "We're future proofing with extreme settings for ""future"" cards of the future"
    But none of this has anything to do with what GPU we have, Warscape has never been about GPU power, it's always been about CPU bottlenecks

The only sense this statement from them makes is that they know Attila going to perform like junk like Rome 2 did for many users, and they just want to have some sort of excuse ready for when it happens. So when the complaints start pouring in, they can just sit back and say
    "Oh yea but we told you, we are future proofing for future configurations to keep your gameplay smooth for the future"
    as if Warscape 32 bit belongs anywhere in the present, let alone the future, especially a future that looks so bright with Dx12, Mantle, etc...etc....

These guys are digging in, because they seem to know now more than ever that they have a major issue with performance now, there's no covering behind waiting for Nvidia or AMD, etc... anymore
    Now if Attila 2 performs better than Rome 2, I will have shut my mouth and take back everything I said here (still doesn't change my opinion on Warscape however) but from benchmarks I have seen, the game is on it's deathbed, and if they try Warscaping one more time for their next title that would be crazy
    Last edited by Sagat; February 13, 2015 at 12:40 PM.

They will tell you anything to make you buy the game. So they made up the story about next gen GPUs. But we all know, that CPUs are the bottleneck of any TW game. Warscape engine barely handles 3-4 CPU cores. The engine is almost 10 years old. It's not about future generation of hardware, it's about their engine not being able to fully use capabilities of current and previous generations of hardware. Stop lying CA, start being honest. And stop being SEGAs tool for milking gamers.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast