Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: In death all are equal, just ask this atheist.

Default Re: In death all are equal, just ask this atheist.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Zimmerman's let off is not of any consequence. Whether he was cleared or not, the result would have been the same, someone killed over a misjudgement. A world without armed busibodies is undoubtably a safer one.
    Hm.. then the ones left holding the guns would be the ones who refuse the law, ie. the criminals, who now have a sheep hunting fest on the disarmed civilians. Not to speak of black markets, like in USA alcohol ban before the first New Deal with Roosevelt.

The whole gun debate thing is messy and depends on country culture and situation. I don't think a world consensus exists, in some countries gun ownership makes sense, in others it doesn't. That's how I see it.
    Last edited by fkizz; February 26, 2015 at 04:16 PM.

Senator

On a personal level, I am opposed to the existence of things like the Hijab. However, despite that, and despite my avowed atheism, I don't believe it is the business of the state to enforce dress codes on the populace. I dislike religion in general. I dislike authoritarianism far more.
    If I had to choose between betraying my friends and betraying my country, I hope I would have the guts to betray my country.

Zimmerman's let off is not of any consequence. Whether he was cleared or not, the result would have been the same, someone killed over a misjudgement. A world without armed busibodies is undoubtably a safer one.
    What you miss is your misguided want for new laws doesn't stop the lawbreaker. Also, Zimmerman was let off because the prosecutor didn't charge him for manslaughter because politics. Get over it.
    Last edited by Aikanár; February 27, 2015 at 04:07 PM. Reason: offensive order removed
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    Hm.. then the ones left holding the guns would be the ones who refuse the law, ie. the criminals, who now have a sheep hunting fest on the disarmed civilians. Not to speak of black markets, like in USA alcohol ban before the first New Deal with Roosevelt.

The whole gun debate thing is messy and depends on country culture and situation. I don't think a world consensus exists, in some countries gun ownership makes sense, in others it doesn't. That's how I see it.
    Don't they have police foirces in America? Judging from all the cop shows I have seen I have reason to believe there are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    What you miss is your misguided want for new laws doesn't stop the lawbreaker. Also, Zimmerman was let off because the prosecutor didn't charge him for manslaughter because politics. Get over it.
    I expect criminals will use whatever tools necessary to carry out their profession. My issue in this thread is with angry idiots who seem to be allowed to walk the streets, and apparently enter people's property armed and unchallenged. That the state was merciful on Zimmerman is of less importance than the fact he can walk around tooled up in the first place. Confine the stand your ground law to one's own property and public safety can be improved without interfering with the tribal idea that citizens must be armed to the teeth.
    Last edited by Aikanár; February 27, 2015 at 04:08 PM. Reason: continuity
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

classical_hero's Avatar Senator

So people don't get killed unless someone has a gun in their hands?

That the state was merciful on Zimmerman is of less importance than the fact he can walk around tooled up in the first place. Confine the stand your ground law to one's own property and public safety can be improved without interfering with the tribal idea that citizens must be armed to the teeth.
    If the state was "merciful" instead of playing the necessary politics and the demands of the people on Zimmerman they'd have had a shot at a conviction because they'd have charged him with something lesser than murder and might have been able to prove it. The stand your ground law had absolutely nothing to do with the trial or anything at all except for words being said a few times by the Mother in an annoying fashion. But of course you have it backasswards because you're talking from emotion and not analysis.
    Last edited by Gaidin; February 26, 2015 at 05:41 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-in-bangladesh

Here we had another incident of an atheist blogger hacked to death in Bangladesh. Its not the first time that this is happening although to be fair this happens at a time of high political tention in Bangladesh with members of the top Islamist party being sentenced to death by the government

Brihentin13's Avatar Campidoctor

So, let's get rid of police and security guards!

Criminals, yes and rarely, but never vigilantes.
    Yes, criminals get guns, regardless of laws, hence the whole "criminal" thing. A "vigilante" is one who takes the law into their own hands and thus breaks it. So vigilantes are also criminals, which we've established will break laws to get guns regardless.

reckon most people are not competent to possess deadly weapons such as guns.
    With that argument, realize that most people are not competent to drive motor vehicles either. Cars can be rather deadly. Today, my life was endangered several times by stupid people who can't drive worth a damn, but not once by a gun. If we are assuming that man is inherently stupid and irresponsible, then man does not need rights, he needs a nanny government to direct his life so that he does not harm himself or others. A properly trained government worker should take away your car, then transport you to and from your government controlled job, where you will be watched and led about carefully so you don't harm yourself or others.

Free Kekistan

SorelusImperion's Avatar Vicarius

So, let's get rid of police and security guards!
    In the US that might actually be helpfull given that dangerously many seem to suffer from "digitus scabiosus"
    Last edited by SorelusImperion; February 27, 2015 at 10:04 AM.
    Frederick II of Prussia: "All Religions are equal and good, if only the people that practice them are honest people; and if Turks and heathens came and wanted to live here in this country, we would build them mosques and churches."
    Norge: "Give me a break. Nothing would make you happier than to see the eagle replaced with a crescent."

Ummon:"enforcing international law will require that the enforcers do not respect it"
    Olmstead v USA:"Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that in the administration of the criminal law the end justifies the means-to declare that the government may commit crimes in order to secure the conviction of a private criminal-would bring terrible retribution. Against that pernicious doctrine this court should resolutely set its face."

Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who can't defend themselfs.
    When you stand before god you can not say "I was told by others to do this" or that virtue was not convenient at the time

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

Digitus scabiosus?

Finger Scabies, not quite the translation for itchy trigger finger. Scabies being when small mites burrow into the skin.

prurigine means itching.

Prurigine Digitum.

Still love the reference so +1 rep.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Brihentin13 View Post
    Yes, criminals get guns, regardless of laws, hence the whole "criminal" thing. A "vigilante" is one who takes the law into their own hands and thus breaks it. So vigilantes are also criminals, which we've established will break laws to get guns regardless.
    Yet this vigilante wasn't locked away until murder charges were brought. Zimmerman wasn't even locked away.

With that argument, realize that most people are not competent to drive motor vehicles either. .
    Correct, that is why God gave us driving liciences. Crap, mad, and drunk drivers aren't allowed to drive.

I have read examples of such incompetents as the mother who killed herself fiddling with a loaded gun in her bra (why conceal a weapon in your own house and why have a round in chamber when your gun is resting on vital organs?) and the trainer who gave a 9 year girl an Uzi and didn't live to the the 180 degree spread of bullets.
    Last edited by mongrel; February 27, 2015 at 03:08 PM.

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

So anything loosely connected to atheism is motivated by atheism despite no clear solid causal links. So Christianity makes people paedophiles. Cool.

Brihentin13's Avatar Campidoctor

Yet this vigilante wasn't locked away until murder charges were brought.
    ...after he was assaulted, then defended himself.

Correct, that is why God gave us driving liciences
    You also need a license to carry a concealed firearm. People who are packing unlicensed are already breaking the law.

I have read examples of such incompetents as the mother who killed herself fiddling with a loaded gun in her bra (why conceal a weapon in your own house and why have a round in chamber when your gun is resting on vital organs) and the trainer who gave a 9 year girl an Uzi and didn't live to the the 180 degree spread of bullets.
    "I have read examples," is a bit anecdotal, but I'll go ahead and address this anyway. Stupid people did stupid things and hurt themselves. One does not hide a firearm in one's breasts and expect it to end well. Hell, one does not place a wallet in one's breasts and expect it to end well. The stupidity of some should not repress the rights of others. As for the child shooting a man with an Uzi, once again, stupid actions have stupid consequences. I never said to give children firearms. While some parents justifiably want empower their children with knowledge and training of safe firearms operation at a young age, this should be done in a certain setting in a certain way. Just letting a child loose with an automatic weapon(which, recall, is already banned for general use, even in America) is going to end badly. The trainer should have been holding the child's arms in place to compensate for the recoil. Once again, the stupidity of some should not effect the rights of others.

Free Kekistan

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    So anything loosely connected to atheism is motivated by atheism despite no clear solid causal links. So Christianity makes people paedophiles. Cool.
    Read the damned thread before you post.

...after he was assaulted, then defended himself..

Still a vigilante with a gun, if he wasn't the former or didn't pack the latter, there would be one more person alive right now.

..You also need a license to carry a concealed firearm. People who are packing unlicensed are already breaking the law. .
    I understand that they are as easy to acquire as One Direction fan club memberships, in some places.

."I have read examples," is a bit anecdotal, but I'll go ahead and address this anyway. Stupid people did stupid things and hurt themselves. One does not hide a firearm in one's breasts and expect it to end well. Hell, one does not place a wallet in one's breasts and expect it to end well. The stupidity of some should not repress the rights of others. As for the child shooting a man with an Uzi, once again, stupid actions have stupid consequences. I never said to give children firearms. While some parents justifiably want empower their children with knowledge and training of safe firearms operation at a young age, this should be done in a certain setting in a certain way. Just letting a child loose with an automatic weapon(which, recall, is already banned for general use, even in America) is going to end badly. The trainer should have been holding the child's arms in place to compensate for the recoil. Once again, the stupidity of some should not effect the rights of others.
    Stupid people shouldn't have lethal weapons. No problem with competent people having them, in controlled circumstances.
    Last edited by mongrel; February 27, 2015 at 03:30 PM.

SorelusImperion's Avatar Vicarius

The stupidity of some should not repress the rights of others.
    It's not about wallets we are talking about powerfull tools who if handled improperly are extremely dangerous not only to the person making the mistake but also to innocent bystanders.
    Frederick II of Prussia: "All Religions are equal and good, if only the people that practice them are honest people; and if Turks and heathens came and wanted to live here in this country, we would build them mosques and churches."
    Norge: "Give me a break. Nothing would make you happier than to see the eagle replaced with a crescent."

Ummon:"enforcing international law will require that the enforcers do not respect it"
    Olmstead v USA:"Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that in the administration of the criminal law the end justifies the means-to declare that the government may commit crimes in order to secure the conviction of a private criminal-would bring terrible retribution. Against that pernicious doctrine this court should resolutely set its face."

Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who can't defend themselfs.
    When you stand before god you can not say "I was told by others to do this" or that virtue was not convenient at the time

Stupid people shouldn't have lethal weapons. No problem with competent people having them, in controlled circumstances.
    I couldn't resist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxMMrPoBq0M
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Define stupid. And define lethal weapon.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Kitchen knife, baseball bat. Presumably he wants mittens stapled onto their arms to prevent them holding any handled object.

Why?

Why?
    So that law enforcement has something resembling a policy. You do know how this works, right? If you can't define these two things in any useful manner your wanted law will again be written off as an off the cuff rant and ignored. It won't even be countered because it's just plain useless. For the tenth time in this thread alone.
    Last edited by Gaidin; February 27, 2015 at 05:31 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson