Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Total War: ATTILA Official Game Guide

Default Re: Total War: ATTILA Official Game Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    Lol, I can't even begin to describe how childish this post was
    That's because you lack the will

A direct assault on a province capital without artillery or siege equipment is only possible after allowing a siege to escalate over time, causing breaches in the settlement walls through which your troops can attempt entry.
    So you just wait one turn, then you throw torches at the gates and storm the town? Or do you have to wait for the walls to collapse?
    Last edited by pansarskott; February 11, 2015 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pansarskott View Post
    So you just wait one turn, then you throw torches at the gates and storm the town? Or do you have to wait for the walls to collapse?
    You have to wait for the walls to collapse.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Quote Originally Posted by pansarskott View Post
    In one of the streams they were besieging a small ERE province and it said like 7-8 turns before surrender, for otheres it was 11 turns. So waiting will be a factor.
    I hope immediate sieges will carry a bigger risk, be kinda lame to wait 11 turns when you could have taken it just as easy the first turn

Where's the chapter on torches, you know which nullifies all the siege elements you created in the first place?
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

So if you have to wait for the walls to collaps, then what's the point of torches? I mean either the ai brings siege artillery and destroyes the walls...or he waits untill they fall down and then storms trough...

Lord Baratheon's Avatar Decanus

On this topic ,can you please just ditch the encyclopedia entirely? Its so damn annoying and slow. Just return to the unit/building information scrolls. Honestly who the heck is making these terrible design choices?

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    Lol, I can't even begin to describe how childish this post was
    Wut? His post was a simple statement of fact. It's a fact that on issues like siege AI mods will never be better than direct intervention/patching from CA. God I swear, there's a definite correlation between anime avatars on this forum and... gah, nevermind.
    Remember, remember, the third of september, the Rome II treason and plot. I know of no reason why pre-order treason should ever be forgot.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    You trying to take my job, bro? But yea, he`s right. Can you just confirm if torch use to open gates are in? because we`d like to know. It`s a buy or no buy situation for me. As you know, Craig, sieges have been my favourite parts of warfare. You have the siege mechanic with the engines and AI about right, so those torches aren`t required.
    One can think what he wants about those torches but one thing is sure, it's more the one year that I see this man fighting his battle here about this feature and I admire how strong he is in his purpose.

I love sieges like you, I was waiting for them in Rome II as never I've waited before. I cannot avoid a certain delusion, also about performance impact during massive sieges in big cities. AI now is decent.

Torches are pointless, especially if Attila will start from where Rome II ended its path of fixes.

So much feature, siege machines...why torches? I mean, look at Theodosian Walls, can they be ruled down by a bunch of torches? (otherside I agree with them about wooden walls and wooden Towers in small acampments).

BUTAN: yes, Humble (he's not my friend and I'm not his Perry Mason, my feelings are spontaneous) Always gave me the sensation he's one of the very few people who really loved deeply that series and CA work. H

e loves it and to be optimist I would say that in Attila torches will be less relevant than in RomeII.

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

"when troop transports are bearing artillery or cavalry into an amphibious assault, theirpassengers, mounts and equipment are pre-deployed onto the coastline to enable them to be usedto full effect in the land engagement."

PRAISE THE LAWDDD
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

Barricades: bla bla blab bla ........

as we see in many videos, is totall useless! The enemy destroy under 5 sec... (

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baratheon View Post
    On this topic ,can you please just ditch the encyclopedia entirely? Its so damn annoying and slow. Just return to the unit/building information scrolls. Honestly who the heck is making these terrible design choices?

Wut? His post was a simple statement of fact. It's a fact that on issues like siege AI mods will never be better than direct intervention/patching from CA. God I swear, there's a definite correlation between anime avatars on this forum and... gah, nevermind.
    Its not even an anime avatar... Anyway his whole premises about "the will" was very childish.
    Just as your generalization is my lord Stannis Baratheon.

Perhaps we won't be able to attack the settlement (on the battlefield) without siege equipment or unless siege escalation has occurred. Then when the siege equipment is destroyed in battle the AI will probably use the torches (is siege escalation hasn't occurred). This is the only way I can make sense of their comment.
    That's how I see it. Torches are a last resort but in order to attack the town you need either siege equipment/weapons to begin with. Once everything is gone then it'll resort to torches just like every other TW game since Shogun 2....

One can think what he wants about those torches but one thing is sure, it's more the one year that I see this man fighting his battle here about this feature and I admire how strong he is in his purpose.

I love sieges like you, I was waiting for them in Rome II as never I've waited before. I cannot avoid a certain delusion, also about performance impact during massive sieges in big cities. AI now is decent.

Torches are pointless, especially if Attila will start from where Rome II ended its path of fixes.

So much feature, siege machines...why torches? I mean, look at Theodosian Walls, can they be ruled down by a bunch of torches? (otherside I agree with them about wooden walls and wooden Towers in small acampments).

BUTAN: yes, Humble (he's not my friend and I'm not his Perry Mason, my feelings are spontaneous) Always gave me the sensation he's one of the very few people who really loved deeply that series and CA work. H

e loves it and to be optimist I would say that in Attila torches will be less relevant than in RomeII.
    But if torches are used as a last resort after all equipment and siege weapons have been destroyed then technically speaking you will very rarely see it. Ever since CA patched it in RTW2 I've yet to see the AI use torches in the siege battles as they always stick with ladders and towers.

Thank you for your exelent lesson of physics! CA team must be awarded with the Nobel of History and Physics because they are the first in the entire human history that claim that walls crumble and fall by watching them or ussing the army's trumpets! Congratulations CA... You officialy created the "Jericho Syndrom"!!! Be proud of it! Are the trumpets part of units equipment in battles???
    You are aware that sieges took years and that it took months or years to break down the walls? This was done through sapping or using siege weapons to weaken and batter the walls over a period of time. That's what the siege escalation means. Even a 5 year old understands that. You also know that when you siege a city that you see multiple siege weapons and equipment surrounding it right?

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Yes, Nameless, you said the truth (this is way I'm quite a bit more optimist): the use of torches seems reduced now, but I've experienced the game not still enough during last months, being busy and using Rome only to test new units (and having absurd performance hit in regular big sieges). The idea I have is that the silly total use of torches was related to an embarassing AI. AI is now decent and in some ways also better than expected and prabably ti now deals in a better way with the priority of uses leaving torches as last resort.

What I want to say is that, to make a siege more funny, would be good get easier and quickly siege machines and remove torches (at last in Medieval II we were able to manage the game also without torches). It's boring to see AI units throwing torches while being under fire and have all around a great well built city they could surround and attack on several sides (avoiding blobbing of units around the gates).

To come back on topic, this is what I expect in Attila, something we cannot feel through a official guide but only playing the game. this is what I will doo hopefully soon testing immediately a huge siege

Yo just for the record I'm not totally onboard with the torches either and I think it should be removed or replaced with a invincible battering ram that cannot be destroyed but the fact that it's been in Shogun 2 says enough. People only complained about it in RTW2 because the AI was not performing properly but it does now so I'm just calling out on that. If it was that serious they should've complained since Shogun 2 but they didn't meaning that it's not as big of a deal as they make it out to be.

I just don't see it being anymore different than RTW2 where if you have siege weapons as defenders just don't destroy the siege equipment that's coming at you and you'll have your big siege battle anyways.

Now the question is : will the AI go for torches or use every other alternatives before (both on the campaign map and in battles), or a priority mix.

In R2 there already was a surrender timer, possibility to recruit siege units and siege engines to create while besieging, and what did the AI do ? 95% of the time they assaulted day 1 even when its a suicide with torches/auto-ladders.
    With siege escalation added the complexity of the AI decisions is increased so they need even more development to make it work. I really have doubts on how the CAI will handle it.

Would be funny if they still mostly assaulted day 1, in a game where most siege options takes even more turns than in R2 to begin to be worth it.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I just thought i`d take a moment here just to tell the naysayers that asking for something reasonable is not a waste of time. It takes patience and a stern politeness, but things can happen by it. I would ask the naysayers to not throw hurdles in front of those of us who are trying to make the game great for everyone. A true fan is not afraid to critique. It may or may not happen, but if we don`t try and make our voices heard it definitely won`t happen.

Hi,

I am looking for tips to play the Lombards please...Strategy guide for Lombards and how to win. At the start of the campaign I have bad famine and I had to destroy my City and retrograde to the basoc colony to end it..Is it normal? My troops were starting to desert my ranks.
    Great Attila TW lover.
    Member of Imperial Splendour mod for Empire Total War

Wasn't sure whether to make a new thread or post here, so decided to post here first.

Does anyone know how 'combat works'. By that I mean, all the numbers, how do they fit together?

So a unit has a 40 weapon damage, 30 melee attack, 20 defence, 30 armour, etc.
    What does that mean? and how does it all fit together.
    Now I think we all get the basics.
    Damage vs Armour.
    Attack vs Defence.
    etc

But does anyone know what is happening behind the scenes? The number crunching and formulas if you will.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the answers.

I would edit my post, but I can never seem to on this forum!?!?

I've since discovered a guy on YouTube who touches on some of the in-game mechanics.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQg...fDMw7gspgN84KQ

Haven't found all the answers I'm after yet, but its still educational

it ..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast