Thread: Requesting advice from the community.

isa0005's Avatar Senator

Default Requesting advice from the community.

So I've submitted a few things to the TWC over the last couple of years, things of various genres, themes etc and unfortunately and somewhat depressingly they've garnered little attention. So my question to the TWC Creative Writing community, what makes a good submission? What do people like to see in the Writer's Lounge? Furthermore what do you like reading?

"In the shadow of the Eagle"
    A Napoleonic Adventure
    AND

A Cyberpunk Short Story
    By isa0005

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 宮體詩人
    Content Emeritus

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Requesting advice from the community.

You should write whatever you want to write Don't let other people dictate your writing, since that kind of defeats the point of it all. The best advice is to stick with it and persevere. The longer you work on a project and the more invested you as a writer are in it, the more attention it will garner. Post something in the advertising thread and try your luck in the MAARC or MCWC.

For example, I have my own story preferences; certain types, genres, games I'll want to check out more than others. These can be in the minority a lot of the time though, so there's always a ton of stuff that doesn't tickle my fancy as much and I have nowhere near enough time to read them all. For example, Roman stories are something I don't often read, simply because I'm so unfamiliar with the setting that they can be quite difficult to read at first. But if someone has been working on a story for a while, advertised it a little, commented on my own stories and maybe entered some competitions, it's likely to stand out on my radar and I'll probably give it a read, even if it's typically not something I'm drawn to. Even posting a thread like this is a great start

Above all, we like community spirit If you take the time to integrate into the community, post in the chat thread, comment on stories and get to know everyone, then that's the sure fire best way to get an audience. So write what you want, have some patience and get involved
    Yokai
    Chapter 50 - 11.3.16

Otousan

isa0005's Avatar Senator

Thanks for the advice!

"In the shadow of the Eagle"
    A Napoleonic Adventure
    AND

A Cyberpunk Short Story
    By isa0005

Be willing to experiment a bit until you find something you're comfortable with. If it's a subject, genre, topic etc. that you enjoy writing on, don't let it discourage you if there are people who don't read it. Simply keep plugging away at it, the more practice you put into it, your writing will improve in the way you write characters, plot, story pacing and development, dialogue and so on. Also, don't be afraid to venture into genres that aren't necessarily your forte, because by stepping out to explore, you can push the boundaries of what you thought you could write, and you might find out you like it by accident. But the whole point is: keep working at developing your skill.

Maybe the reason your previous efforts didn't garner much in the way of attention could be, simply, that readers didn't get enough samples of your work over a continuous stretch to form an overall opinion. If you post 2-3 times a month, it'll give your work increased exposure, and if people begin seeing noticeable improvement over a long period, it might attract an increased number of people to your stories, poetry, or AARs.