Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

Default Re: Better Call Saul

Well i think at this point TV is the best place to be anyway. For Gilian. In a way it brings now much more prestige/validity then it used to be, and i belive it is now more and more a midium for adults. In contrast with Cinema, were it is more and more the realm of teen/young adult blockbusters, well american cinema anyway.
    Generaly speaking.

It is no coincidence quite a few of movie actors seek to partake in TV more and more.
    And i think it is already this way for quite a while now.
    I personally can't help by take Chuck's side here, though it begs the question if he had not betrayed his brother and let him stay on if he could have straightened him out.
    Yep, seeing someone trying to change its ways, and in a big way acomplishing it, only to be treated like this ...
    i cant see anyone else reacting other way then the way Jimmy did. Specialy when it is people very close to you, its what realy hurts the most, in a big way.

And we are talking about siblings here, there is often a hierarchy dynamic, that predates adulthood in its establishment, and the conformity of expectations of each person.
    Given that is family, and close family none the less, things are much more complicated, from the emotional point of view. ( What jimmy did puting up with, all chuck crazyness and standing for him at the Hospital, and defending him at HJM) He probably wouldnt need to do that, i mean it wasnt necessarly his responsability. ( or rather he didnt had to do it, but he did) All those stuff, does have its toll too imo.

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

You knew Chuck would screw Jimmy over - there were so many hints - but I'm sure few didn't feel moved by those last 5 minutes.

As someone said before, Vince isn't a M. Night. Shyamalan [or whatever his name is], he's not pulling easy twists all the time. BB, when you think about it, didn't have that many twists - but when it had them, it had them for real.

As I always say, if I had lobster and delirium tremens every day of the week it wouldn't take me long to hate seafood and beer. There's some virtue in those silly Catholic theories - you just don't go ahead and feast on everything tasty you come across with: that goes for twists as well.

I was pretty disappointed by the season finale.

It seemed like a "bonus" episode, I was expecting the Chuck betrayal to hit Jimmy much harder and the death of his friend was kind of muted by the fact that aside from early flashbacks we never hear much about him. There was simply not enough focus on the betrayal to the point that everything almost went 'back to normal" by the end with only the ring's reminder snapping Jimmy back to where he was at the end of last week.

What was the point? That he would rather die in an alley living like Marco than toil like a sucker? That this is who he is, and he can't hide from it? If so it wasn't really shown as well as it could have it been. He didn't really seem that affected by it until the very end, and then he seemed to turn down the deal with less reason than he would have had directly after the end of the last episode.

Another development with Chuck or someone else should have pushed him further towards moral ambiguity. That or he should have had an opportunity to be more like Saul surface at just the right moment. None of that happened, the whole episode just seemed unnecessary to his character except for the ring. The rest of the season was so great though it more than makes up for a (relatively) weak finale.

I have to wonder if they originally planned more episodes this season, but had their order cut. The final episode was kind of haphazard and strangely edited (out of nowhere he ends up in Chicago it seemed like there could/should have been a scene there after his breakdown where he explains to someone how he has to go to Chicago or "just get out of there", since obviously he told the love interest about it which they instead showed us with that awkward/uneventful phone call during the funeral or even just a moment alone in his office where he takes stock of his life. Or just cut the Bingo scene altogether.) and maybe if it had been 2 or more episodes it would have been more effective.

Oh was this the season finale? meh it was a weak episode it felt like a placeholder for something else, and that ending didnt made much sense. Or rather i didnt think it worked very well.
    Regardless, fantastic Show.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I too was surprised at the general meh-ness of the finale. By no means was it a bad episode, it just didn't do anything special whatsoever. Also, Jimmy's motivations feel a bit weird to me. What made him turn around at the last moment? It's like he isn't really living in reality

Also, that whole monologue in the bingo was kind of tedious.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    I too was surprised at the general meh-ness of the finale. By no means was it a bad episode, it just didn't do anything special whatsoever. Also, Jimmy's motivations feel a bit weird to me. What made him turn around at the last moment? It's like he isn't really living in reality

Also, that whole monologue in the bingo was kind of tedious.
    Well he was looking at the ring so obviously Marco had an impact on him.

My guess is it was supposed to show how this was not his world. Marco's point that he was "doing it wrong" because he wasn't making real money which he obviously could and had plenty of opportunity to (held back only by the false hope that he could redeem himself in his brother's eyes), and how everyone at HMM/Kim seemed to just kind of pity him this episode. He would have to again accept their help, and still live under the shadow that his brother didn't approve of him, getting help from Howard of all people who he previously hated to protect him from his brother but who is now the good guy.

Meanwhile Marco had been trying to live straight as well, but even as he lay dying said that this was the best week of his life. It was an acceptance of how by being a "scammer" he had real value, but being Jimmy all he got was pity. It was a point better made throughout the season, and if anything I think this episode backtracked a little. Including Marco could have been good, but without the Bingo scene and maybe a scene with another criminal or even just the scene with Mike earlier would make the ending seem more natural.

The worst part of the episode to me was when he was at Marco's apartment and telling him he had to go back for his brother, because it is his brother. That didn't make much sense to me. On the other hand Marco telling him that his brother doesnt' even like him was a good addition (even someone so far removed saw it).

Yeah, a surprisingly lackluster episode. Not bad by any means, just not exactly what I expect from a season finale. The last scene was pretty bitchin though :p

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by DarthShizNit View Post
    Yeah, a surprisingly lackluster episode. Not bad by any means, just not exactly what I expect from a season finale. The last scene was pretty bitchin though :p
    Agreed. Deep Purple, Smoke on the Water, baby, yeah!

I probably sound like an old person for saying that, although I'm not that old, for Christ sake.

You are NOT Kevin Costner!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    You are NOT Kevin Costner!!

Looks pretty close to me.

OH MY GOD. I'm dying! I'm dying here. The latest episode (#7). It's the full on rebellion of slippin Jimmy at the office. Funniest goddamn episode in the whole two seasons and I'm not even done watching it. Christ, if you haven't been watching this latest season, get off your ass and do it.

Marvelous episode.
    And of course i have been watching second season

Mike is a bad ass this season as well.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; April 04, 2016 at 05:06 PM.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

They should have a flashback of Mike's experiences in Vietnam. THAT would be a great episode.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Saw the whole season in the span of a couple days I think. Pretty good, will definitely see the next season.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Saw the whole season in the span of a couple days I think. Pretty good, will definitely see the next season.
    Uh...there are two more episodes left, bro. You're not done yet!

Patrician

wait it's still going? !

Edit: I'm pretty sure season 1 ended unless you are talking about season 2. I couldn't find any new episodes on Netflix at least
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; April 08, 2016 at 09:50 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I was talking about season 2. I thought that's what you were talking about.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Patrician

I didn't even know that season 2 was out.

Hector, who killed Gustavo Fring and is shown in this series strong-arming Mike and threatening his grandchild, is literally Satan.

Apparently he reincarnated into Satan after Al "Scarface" Pacino shot him for...you guessed it...trying to kill someone else's kids again!

WARNING: movie clip above contains some bad words that violate the ToS.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Wow, Chuck at the end of season 2.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast