Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extracting sounds

Default Extracting sounds

Most of you probably already know this if you've taken a look at the file structure, but here's how to extract sounds:

1. Download Vercingetorix's XIDX-extractor.
    2. Unzip the files included and copy+paste "xidx.exe" and "extract_sounds.bat" to your "M2TW\data\sounds\" folder (by default "C:\Program Files\Sega\Medieval II Total War\Data\sounds")
    3. Double click on the bat-file and it will automatically begin extracting all music, voices and SFX.

And here's how to replace the music (will write a more extensive tutorial once we get tools for unpacking the .pack-files and getting the txt-files available)

1. Find a track you want to put in the game. Determine what kind of music it'll be (ie strat map, battle, mobilize, victory etc.), and find the song you don't like (ie the one you wanna replace your own with). These can now be found unpacked in "M2TW\data\sounds\data\sounds\music".
      Rename your own song the same as the song you're replacing, and paste over the original song.

Now either:

1. Cut out the Music folder and paste it in "M2TW\data\sounds\data\sounds\", then delete the "music.dat".

OR
    2. Use the XIDX to repack the new music. Copy and paste the "pack_example_music_idx.bat" to the "\sounds"-folder, and right click on it and select "Edit". You should now see this:

Code:
      .\xidx.exe -cf my_music.idx data\sounds\music\*
      pause
      Rename the "my_music.idx" to "music.idx", then save, delete the original music.dat and run the bat. It should now (if you did everything correctly) create a new "musid.dat"-file including your own music!

NOTE: Before you do anything, it is good to backup both the original "music.dat" and "music.idx", incase something happens :wink: (Just copy them and paste them there )

PS. Wasn't really sure where I should put this, there is no audio forum anymore, didn't really think this is a tut (though move it if you think ) so it was safe to post it here. :wink:

Default Re: Extracting sounds

Nice work!

But is it only me? Now when I have opened it I think it is far too few sounds, one-liners to the battle speeches and so on. Gah, shouldn't have opened it. =/

What do you mean? How many do you see? They are one liners, but when combined they make long speeches :wink:

doesn't work ... followed your instructions twice and both times there is no music being played. Extraction of the sounds worked fine but when it came to playing them ingame Music.Dat & Music.idx both change file sizes (24bytes) and just having the music in the folder like which was possible in Rome does not work also.

anything else to suggest?

Where were the idx.exe and the bat files when you packed them?

in the data/sounds folder .... should they be in the data/sounds/data/sounds folder?...

Hmm...

We've been told that it is possible to pass the packing with the mod's, ie make a mod folder in data and add some thing in the preference. Now you just put the folder there (with the right structure), and it should overwrite the vanilla music. (Haven't tried this yet, but in theory it should work).

good, thanks ...
    Last edited by mikehood; November 22, 2006 at 02:07 AM.

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

I've run into the same problem. I've talked to Vercingetorix, too, and he says it's possible the tool isn't compatible with M2TW.

In addition, when I did this with the Voice1 idx, upon starting the game, the idx and dat files were reduced to 24 bytes each. Good thing I had backups...
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

download is broken. can someone host the file else where?

It worked perfectly well for me.

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Quote Originally Posted by The Strategy-Player View Post
    It worked perfectly well for me.
    Then tell me exactly how you did it, because the above instructions didn't work for me.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Master Nikolaos's Avatar Decanus

I'm trying to get Vercingetorix's tools, but the download link is bad. Anyone have it who can give it to me?

plasticfigurine's Avatar Ducenarius

Here's an alternate link to the IDX tool
    http://www.mizus.com/files/files/RTW/Tools/

Scroll down and it's the second to last link.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm running into the same problem that Beiss and RedDevil are getting. Music.dat and music.idx are 1KB each and no music plays when I start up the game.
    Last edited by plasticfigurine; November 27, 2006 at 02:09 AM.

glad to know im not the only one with these problems. Guess we will have to wait until the patch /w modding tools before we get to play our campaigns with custom music.

Master Nikolaos's Avatar Decanus

Thanks a bunch plasticfigurine

Where were the bat and exe files when you repacked them? I've run into the same probs with RTW before.

plasticfigurine's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Arakorn-eir View Post
    Where were the bat and exe files when you repacked them? I've run into the same probs with RTW before.
    Still in the main sound directory (M2TW/data/sounds). Should they be in data/sounds/data/sounds?

Hey, I'm getting a fatal error when I go to download the XIDX extractor, I can't find another mirror anywhere, and it's not on the .org

Anyway anyone can email it to me?

wups.... missed the alternate download post...

my bad! Thanx

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast