Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS2.5 graphics for RTW1

Default RS2.5 graphics for RTW1

Hello all, I don't suppose there's any way of adding RS2's graphics to RTW1 1.5, is there?

I like RTW1 but the graphics to me aren't very good. In fact, they bug me too much to replay it anymore. I did find the 'Vegetation Mod' and it's patch and I think I've installed it properly. I have played the first 'Battle' as the Julii in the Roman campaign where we're told to take that first settlelment, (1 play without the mod, 1 play with the mod and 1 play with mod and patch), and I think I see a slight change. Maybe the grass is slightly darker and there may be a few small bushes, but there doesn't really seem enough of a difference.

So I DL'd Roma Surrectum 2.5 (I thought I'd got the 2.6 patch as well, but I'd just copied the install instructions and forgot to get the patch ) and I've played it a little bit. I think the graphics are exactly what I'm looking for, but in the first turn the game pitches me into a battle I practically can't win (ambushed by Hannibal, even when I had my spy stood between Him and me in the hope that would stop 'me' being too surprised so that I could at least form up before the battle). A few turns later and I'm getting big Roman rebel armies with cavalry, archers, velites, principes and triarii popping up out of towns that I could only train Velites in! How can they do that? Surely a rebel army from a town would only have units that can be trained in that town, maybe with a few mercenary units and 1 or 2 units from other close-by same-faction rebel towns?

Aaanway, I'll be trying to install patch 2.6 and seeing what that does.

If I'm still finding too annoying/difficult (I ain't no Hannibal, yer know), I'll drop it. Meanwhile I'm hoping that RS2.5 graphics can be aded to RTW1. Or that

I had hoped to install the Shogun mod, (I do have BI, but I don't like it), but I can't get it to.

Default Re: RS2.5 graphics for RTW1

Just play any campaign of your liking with 2.6 on medium/medium difficulty. I'd suggest Rome 1 turn like you've been doing. Remember that at the start of the roman campaign you can encounter some difficulties. Try to amass 2-3 armies with the troops given at the beginning. Get scipio from emporiae and sicily to help crush hannibal/rebels. Also the rebels will likely get capua. Nail them capuans to the cross first.

As for hannibal; flaminius nepos has some room to fill his army. Get some triarii extra there and perhaps that one campanian cavalry. Don't get ambushed, just attack him. Place half of your infanty as a main line for holding the enemy. Manuever some cohorts around hannibals line to stick them in the back with your pilae, and try to kill hannibal himself asap. Especially on medium this should be very survivable.

Oh and be sure to preset your own desired settings in the launcher. For example, set the amount of garrison troops the AI can spawn, or set them to none at all.

Remember Roma Surrectum is about fun and challenge. Not about getting yourself asskicked or pwning the AI. Roma surrectum balances this very good in my opinion .

Thanks for the reply, LT. Early on I did as you suggest and got 3 extra units in with 1 cavalry (can't remember which one though) and I did attack him, but the picture was quite dark so I couldn't really see what was going on. On a re-start I did manage to get myself ambushed but with enough time to set out my army (I'd see it on a "Let's play", so I thought I'd have at least 'some' chance ). All I can say is : "RTW1 doesn't really teach much, does it?"

I installed the patch and for me it made things a bit more difficult, with only being able to train generals over 2 turns and not velites over 1 turn at the start in most towns, which meant I couldn't reinforce anywhere.

Why do 'naked fanatics', with only sword and shield take as much damage as fully armoured Roman units?

How can soldiers get 'knocked down' by a sword or spear but manage to get back up again 3 or 4 times?

Anyway, Carthage having 2 big armies and a town close-by with a decent amount of reinforcements and at least two big 'Capuan' armies, and me only having 1 big army and the rest spread out, (even on 'easy') will prolly annoy me too much to keep playing, unless I can find a 3rd or 4th braincell from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by seany65 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, LT. Early on I did as you suggest and got 3 extra units in with 1 cavalry (can't remember which one though) and I did attack him, but the picture was quite dark so I couldn't really see what was going on. On a re-start I did manage to get myself ambushed but with enough time to set out my army (I'd see it on a "Let's play", so I thought I'd have at least 'some' chance ). All I can say is : "RTW1 doesn't really teach much, does it?"

I installed the patch and for me it made things a bit more difficult, with only being able to train generals over 2 turns and not velites over 1 turn at the start in most towns, which meant I couldn't reinforce anywhere.

Why do 'naked fanatics', with only sword and shield take as much damage as fully armoured Roman units?

How can soldiers get 'knocked down' by a sword or spear but manage to get back up again 3 or 4 times?

Anyway, Carthage having 2 big armies and a town close-by with a decent amount of reinforcements and at least two big 'Capuan' armies, and me only having 1 big army and the rest spread out, (even on 'easy') will prolly annoy me too much to keep playing, unless I can find a 3rd or 4th braincell from somewhere.
    Ah. well I see what you mean. From what I can picture you are indeed entirely outnumbered etc. Best to stop this current campaign, or if you like a tragical campaign (which some of us here would surely like to see) you continue to the last soldier.

IF, you plan on giving Roma Surrectum another chance (which I strongly suggest) than do the following:

- Start roman campaign
    - script activates automatically the first time, 10001 denarii in chest
    - set ALL taxes to very high if possible. Not that doing this for more than a couple of turns will result in bad effects
    - withdraw troops from emporiae, dyhrrachium and sicily, in order to have an extra army ready. This may take 3 turns or so to move over the sea. Let the eldest scipio lead this one.

- the other army standing next to Hannibal CAN do the following, I always do the same: attack. Pray to mars that it'll go well and that hannibal is stupid enough to throw himself in your pointy sticks. With luck and a cunning control over the battlefield, you can win this battle and with both hannibal dead and his army routed, theres only one half a carthaginian stack left and Genoa. With heavy losses on your side replenish some units on this army , and let Nepos attack this half stack, and then Genoa.

- considering hannibals treat over; now is the time to retrain units, and leaving ONLY govenors in cities.
    - after some turns the southern states rebel, probably Capua, Crotona and/or Rhegium. You'll possibly lose another one to the rebels. Make sure when theres a rebel city with an army outside, attack this army so you'll have a chance to easily reclaim the city. Do this with both Nepos and Scipio.

- this could go on a couple of turns, in the meantime some arverni and cimbri diplomats beg you for a truce. Here you can earn some extra cash, albeit reasonable for them to accept.

- once you are done killing and crucifying the rebels, lower taxes to high and start building some things like shrines, first aid centres, and tribal justice.
    - Consider yourself victorious over both hannibal and the rebels when your faction leader gets a trait like: "former dictator" ..."your leader has stepped down by request of the senate bla bla"

Comparing to RTW vanilla it may be somewhat difficult at first to learn how units behave in RS. I've had my share of difficulty as well. No longer can you suddenly use an entire cohort when not paying enough attention to it. It can fend for itself in defense. Soldiers now have more hitpoints like you mentioned getting 'knocked down' This is probably to simulate the professional armies and its durability.

Naked fanatics have an overal stronger attack and will kick the crap out of a single cohort when morale is low. Although when sprayed with javelins or arrows, and then a brutal cavalry attack from the back will rout them quickly.

Like I said it may take time to fully comfort yourself with the behaviour of some units, but most of the time it'll work like expected.

There would be three bibles more I could type about the roman campaign and how it goes most of the time. But I think its up to yourself to experience it, get better at it, and most of all, enjoy the crap out of it. When the aforementioned danger is over, you can focus on securing the italian peninsula and more. When reaching 24.000 people in Akragas, the REAL pleasures of the roman campaign begin

Good luck. And may Jupiter Optimus Maximus be with you.

are you asking to play RTW vanilla with RS2 graphics?
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

I think that's what he's after. Isn't this the original download for the environments?: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-the-Community

I know a couple years ago that Granto had also run around to every major (and many minor) mod and released a version specifically for those mods also. I'm not sure if he pre-packaged one specifically for vanilla...

(P.S. I think applying the the RS2 environment to vanilla is like putting lipstick on a pig...make that a flaming pig.

To all: Thanks for the replies and detailed info.

@ Lt. Speirs, On a later play I did as you suggest and immediately started the process of abondoning the outer provinces and bringing the soldiers back to form an army, but by the time I'd managed it, I'd lost to Hannibal (again), and he'd besieged one town and the other carthiginian army besieged a second town and two big stacks of capuans had turned up, and all I had was a half stack together and a few bits in the towns I had left! Bah!

@ century x, Yup, that's exactly what I was after.

@ Risasi, Thanks for the link. I have clicked on it, but firefox is having trouble loading that page, so I'll check again later. I have recently re-started RTW (mainly while waiting for help with getting RNJ2.8 to not quite to the desktop when I click on the 'start' arrow) and the battles etc. do seem a little too easy and quick. Is there a way to make RS2 a bit easier apart from just choosing 'Easy', to get the game a sort of 'half-way' between 'very hard' in RTW and 'Easy' in RS2?

I'd played the previous attempts at 'Moderate' and then 'Easy' but was still having difficulties. This time, (on 'Easy'), however, Hannibal did a suicidal charge at a cohort on my right flank and I was able to surround him and kill him, and after a while I totally destroyed his army, as in 'it disappeared' and I still had most of mine left. I used the same one to attack the other army and I beat that, I besieged their town and when the ventured out they just stood there with their slingers and archers doing nothing, even though I got my army close enough to chuck their pilums. Inbetween the second and third battles the capuan rebellion happened, and I reloaded the game 'cos I wanted to try something, I moved the medium sized army I'd assembled out of a town (so now niether capua nor croton? had an anyone in them) and then took the 'turn'. There was no capuan rebellion! And it hasn't turned up. Is this right, or is there something wrong?

That doesn't sound right. Maybe Tedric will be by to fill the both of us in, I believe he plays Rome quite a bit. You are tempting me to start a Roman campaign. To be honest I haven't played the Roman faction hardly at all, and since at least ver. 2.5. I have a soft spot for some of the others like Armenia and Parthia.

- When you say you reloaded the game, did you exit the game completely and restart RS2 and then make sure to click on a city to load the script? I know there are problems if you load a game, start the script and then close it only to start a new game without completely terminating the program.
    - Also, did you actually get ver. 2.6 installed or are you still on 2.5?

Hmmm, maybe I've broken the ruddy thing...

Anway, what I did was : exit that game, went back to the game's main menu and loaded an earlier game, I did not close the entire thing and re-start by clicking on the desktop icon. Wonder if there's any point playing any of the saved games? I didn't know about having to click on a town to get the script going. As far as I was aware the game 'Roma Surrectum 2' was running and therefore the script was running. Hmmm, having said that though, the 'advisor' has popped up a few times telling me to click on the advisor's portrait to get the script running (during various plays). I also do usually click on towns to see what they're building/training, but I may not have done this time as I think I'd already sorted that side of things out before saving the game I reloaded.

I think I'd better clear things up: After re-installing the game, I started a 1-turn roman campaign, organised what my towns were to build or train and set the tax etc., Hannibal comitted suicide and I wiped out his army and almost all of the other one and then set what I had left in that stack towards the carthiginian town. I also got a decent stack into Croton, sent my ships towards that small spanish town and set the town in greece to build a ship so's I could abandon it. Expecting the capuan rebellion I saved the game. I clicked on 'turn' and tha capuans rebelled, including Croton. I went back to the game's main screen, loaded the game I'd saved and moved the 'stack' out of Croton and clicked on turn. There was a message about roman rebels but no town went rebel capuan blue.

It would've been nice to have the "click on a town to get the game's script running" in the readme, or, perhaps better, on one or more of the game's screens. I just didn't notice this info anwhere on this forum. Not saying it's not on here somewhere, though.

I had put the 2.6 patch in a previous install, but as I could only train a general's unit in most towns instead of a velite unit I decided it wasn't for me, so now I'm back on 2.5.

Phew, not 'broke'. Loaded the game saved from the point just before the capuan rebellion and clicked on a town, and things have worked. Although I have noticed something different : Now, after I beseige the carthaginian town (I forget it's name), 10 or 11 new carthaginian units turn up in there?

Sounds like you're referring to the garrison script. It's there for the extra challenge.
    From the Launcher; Click "Edit RSII Preferences", "Other RSII Parameters". Change garrison scripts to Off.

Basically if you siege a city, after you end turn they get a garrison. Sort of a call to arms for the besieged. The retired military folk pull out their mothballed shields and spears. Another option is to just blitz them, if no walls just assault before ending your turn...or bring a key (siege weapon to bust down the door)

Thanks for the info, Risasi. I hadn't even thunk of retired soldiers coming out of retirement. Is this extra garrison actually proportional to the size of population and length of time a faction has occupied the town?

Quote Originally Posted by seany65 View Post
    Thanks for the info, Risasi. I hadn't even thunk of retired soldiers coming out of retirement. Is this extra garrison actually proportional to the size of population and length of time a faction has occupied the town?
    Nope. Like the emergency left script spawns they are magic.

As the Romans I would NEVER abandon Greece or Emporiae. Why because I role play. Sure you want to consolidate to one front, or one and a half with Sicily. but the Romans are determined to defend all their holdings and I do just t hat. Scipio with his single line of soldiers hold Emporiae until I can send the young Scipio to give him a punitive force of one Roman and one Allied line of troops. A similar full stack in Greece for Flaccus and another full stack in Sicily to protect against the betraying Syracuse and help defend Sardina.

Once you defeat Hannibals army and Maharabls reinforcements, you head south to put the Rebelling allies in check and restore order. Taxes have to be raised up and down and its touch and go. But that's what the Republic has to do to represent themselves properly. Weakness can't be shown.

Hello all, I don't suppose there's any way of adding RS2's graphics to RTW1 1.5, is there?
    Hi there! I am surprised there are still people playing RTW I thought I was the only one.

Just like you I've always wanted the vanilla game to have better graphics. I've been looking for a mod that does just that for ages, but I've never found one. All mods temper with the game in one way or the other. I decided to take a closer look at some of the mods as well as the RTW game directory and I found a pretty easy way to change the look of the vanilla game using parts of mods.

What you want to do is:

1 - Download Roma Serrectum 2.5 and extract its content
    2 - Go to the data directory of your vanilla RTW
    3 - Delete the following folders: "Animations", "Banners", "Models" and "Terrain"
    4 - Go to the Roma Serrectum Data folder and copy the "Animations", "Banners", "Models" and "Terrain" -folders back to your vanilla RTW Data directory
    5 - Enjoy playing a better looking vanilla RTW

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Weasel View Post
    Go to the Roma Serrectum Data folder and copy the "Animations", "Banners", "Models" and "Terrain" -folders back to your vanilla RTW Data directory
    Oouuch... even i did not played vanilla RTW since RS, i don't van't to see my beloved "romans_scipii" with billy goat banner

But seriously, DVK published the RS2 enviroment changes, as a gift for RTW modding community almost five years ago.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-the-Community
    Last edited by ferike_2007; February 26, 2015 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ferike_2007 View Post
    Oouuch... even i did not played vanilla RTW since RS, i don't van't to see my beloved "romans_scipii" with billy goat banner

But seriously, DVK published the RS2 enviroment changes, as a gift for RTW modding community almost five years ago.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-the-Community
    Thanks for pointing this out. I did have a look at it, but to be honest I have no idea what to do with it (yet). I've read the entire thread and it didn't look that easy peasy to me Maybe I need to look into it a little further? I have tried to copy and paste it into the data folder, but my game CTD at start up so there is more to it than that. If you can link me to a proper guide how to install this I would be grateful.

PS
    I like those banners

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

Regarding the banners: just joked , i like the RS2 banners too!

Regarding the enviroment patch: there are some instructions gived in thread, so you have to pick some features for vanilla from it, and some are not compatible without furter modifications.

Regarding the game: playing vanilla RTW when there are so many great mods, especially RS2, is like having a Lamborghini or Ferrari and going with bicycle at a downtown party instead.... I don't say people don't need to nostalgize from time to time but when you taste the excitement RS2 provide, you are never able to play too much on vanilla. My opinion, of course.

I guess I am just a little uncomfortable with using RS2 because I know the vanilla game so well. I know each and every building, unit, stat, costs etc. by heart after playing the game for 10 years now. RS2 looks a little intimidating

Just by replacing those 4 directories, the campaign map as well as the battlefields and the animations (and the banners of course ) look better. The changes are subtle but very noticeable. I think the only thing that I'd like to change now is the vegetation and the Roman General character... but that's not that easy. Changing the FOV and camera speed also contributes to better game play, but I have yet to figure out how to change the min/max zoom. I found a cheat code for that, but it doesn't work

The most important thing is that I am pretty pleased with the way my game looks now. I think this is the easiest way to change the looks and feel of the vanilla version. Little effort, good result

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast