Thread: Dipomacy: Call to Arms

Default Dipomacy: Call to Arms

Greetings

I have been approached recently by two other members who expressed an interest in an ALL TWC Diplomacy game. If GarretJax is still around and is still interested that if 4 out of 7 players needed for a game. If you are interested, send me a PM or VM or reply in this thread.

1. mad orc
    2. Dr. Legend
    3. PikeStance (myself)
    4. Aexodus
    5. GarretJax*
    *As not logged on since June 2016, so we likely still need 3 players.

CALL TO ARMS: The Game of Diplomacy

I am wondering if there are any Diplomacy fans on TWC interested in starting an all TWC game on this site.
    The Length of turns, choice of powers in the game , and other details can be discussed once we have a core group of players.
    If you had never played the game, please read the information below. The online version of the game is not has interesting as personal contact, but it does have its interesting elements that would not exist in a more personal setting.

Basic Information and Rules

Diplomacy is a game which is easy to learn but impossible to master. The rules are all very intuitive, lots of people pick them up just by playing, but this document will familiarize you more quickly.
    There are SEVEN Powers/ Factions you can play: Germany | France | Great Britain | Russia | Austro- Hungary | Italy | Ottoman Turks

The objective of Diplomacy is to be the first to get 18 supply centers.

Supply centers are recognized on the map as territories with a dot in them. Supply centers sustain military units. You get a new unit for each supply center you occupy, and lose a unit whenever a supply center you own gets occupied by someone else.

To give orders to your units: click the unit and choose the command type (move, support, convoy, hold). To move, click the destination area. A unit can only move to adjacent territories. A unit can only move once per turn. All turns for all players are processed at the same time, when the deadline expires.

All units are equally strong. To move into an opponent's square, you must have support. Use one unit to attack, use the other unit to support the attack.

To give support, the supporting unit must be adjacent to the territory the attacking unit is trying to capture. Click the unit you want to give support with, click the area the attacking unit is coming from, click the area you want the attacking unit to move to. This unit is now supporting the attacking unit into the area.

Note that you have to give each unit separate orders.

There are three phases in the game: Order, Retreat, and Build.
    • Order:
      This is the most important phase. You give orders to your units and try to capture new supply centers.
    • Retreats:
      In this phase any units which were attacked and forced to retreat are told where to retreat to.
    • Build:
      If any players have more supply centers than units they can place their units in this phase. For every 2 Order phases (Spring and Autumn), you get 1 Build phase (Winter). If any players have more units than supply centers, they have to choose which units to destroy.

Units
    • Army:
      This unit can only move on land.
    • Fleet:
      This unit can only move in the sea, and in coastal territories (land areas with a coast). It can also convoy armies across sea territories using the convoy move.

The 5 move types
    • Hold
      The unit will defend if its territory is attacked, but otherwise do nothing.
    • Move
      The unit tries to move into(/attack) an adjacent territory.
    • Support hold, support move
      Support is what Diplomacy is all about. As no one unit is stronger than another you need to combine the strength of multiple units to attack other territories.
    • Convoy
      You can use fleets to carry army units across sea territories, this is called a convoy. You can also string multiple convoys together to move an army unit large distances overseas in a single turn.

A Nice New Player's Guide
    Last edited by PikeStance; November 11, 2017 at 08:03 AM.

Default Re: Dipomacy: Call to Arms

I'd be interested in joining this. I've used that website to play with friends for years.

I haven't played in some time. I did use it has a teacher. Back then, there wasn't a "teachers" version of the game. The admin of the site were very good at accommodating as best they could at the time. I am glad to see that they found a way to do it.

Anyway,
    Hopefully we can grab 5 more interested people.
    Here is a nice youtuber who discuses the opening strategy of each "faction." Historygamers.com This is link to a compilation that starts with the basic rules.
    If prefer to read, this is nice page to read about the game.

diplomacy-archives.com
    Last edited by PikeStance; February 10, 2015 at 12:56 AM.

Since there have been interest shown in the past couple of weeks, I will bump this to see if there is more interest now that we are closer to 7 people.

There are only two basic guidelines in diplomacy.

1)Make Treaties
    2)Break treaties.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Never played this before but seems fun, Id be willing to give it a go
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Its like a group chess with different rules and limited pieces .But unlinke chess you can do whatever you think is best.Alsop in chess you cant do under the table side deals.

Great...added to the list.
    Have a look at the Youtuber. He does a great job explaining the rules and basic strategy for each faction. Post #3

Advertise it in the Discussion and Debate Community Thread, maybe?
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Earlier i was going to play it for leisure.
    But now i have to travel again to the middle of the Sierra Nevada for some business related to the army so.................i will have to play this as a stress buster.In that vile place they make you do hard jobs.

Maybe we should start a game and wit for people to join before starting it. People are more likely to join a game that's already been created.

Could we do it on Webdiplomacy? It's much more user-friendly.

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Here is a list of available maps.

http://webdiplomacy.net/variants.php

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

I haven't played on that server. I will have to give it a go. I am hoping to get newbie players, introduce them to the basic game and then explore these other variants.

So..............umm what next.Why dont we persue a more aggressive advertising campagian.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

So is there a game we can join yet? I'd be happy to send a few PMs around
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

I have no idea who i would PM about a non- total war game. If you have the energy and the patience you can scan this forum to find out who are board game enthusiast. Board gamers would most likely be inclined to play Diplomacy.