Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A Long Way From Home - A Skyrim AAR [updated 20th May 2018]

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: A Long Way From Home - A Skyrim AAR [updated 7th March 2017]

Chapter Thirty-Seven: Companionship

It was very early this morning – yesterday having been the day we fought a whole roomful of draugr – when Farkas and I emerged from the underground bandit hideout to the most beautiful sky I've ever seen. I was reminded of photographs of the Northern Lights, but it was so much better. The difference between a still photograph and the real, moving thing, I suppose. I'd never realised how overwhelmingly glorious the Northern Lights are. I was surrounded by walls of rippling colour, purple and blue dancing joyfully together. Above and behind them, the stars shone, and a moon – larger, or closer, than the moon I'm used to – loomed magnificently behind a castle perched on the tallest mountain I could see. My soul sang in delight at the wonder of it, and at the wonder and ecstasy of still being alive to see it. We stood and watched, awed, until the tongues and flames of purple faded in the light of daybreak, and then Farkas set off towards the road, and towards Whiterun.

As I followed him, lost in my own thoughts about the aurora we'd just seen, I heard a sound from ahead of me. Thinking Farkas was talking to me, I jogged to catch up with him, and discovered that in fact, he was singing. I suppose he was feeling as uplifted as I was by the aurora. It sounded like a folk song, haunting and lyrical, and I was surprised to discover that Farkas has a singing voice to match it.

When the song finished, I didn't want to break the silence. Anything I said would have been an anticlimax after the aurora and Farkas's singing. We walked on through the growing daylight, companionable but unspeaking.

Closer to Whiterun, we began passing other people on the road, and then farms, and the stables, and then we were through the great gates and into the bustling streets of Whiterun itself, and the beauties of the morning seemed to fade somehow into the background as we navigated around the people cheerfully haggling in the market and drawing water from the well, while the smells of fresh bread and cooking meat drifted from the inn door and reminded me I hadn't had breakfast.

And then Jorrvaskr was ahead, looking down on us from the top of its steps as we climbed, and I realised I still had no idea what I was supposed to do with all the things I'd brought back from the bandit lair. Just as Farkas pushed the door open, I finally broke the silence between us.

“Farkas? Who am I supposed to give all the stuff we collected to?”

He looked at me blankly. “Whoever you want.”

“Oh. Right.” I was kicking myself. I should have worked out for myself that I could hand the confiscated items to any of the Circle. If the Companions don't have a leader, then any of the senior staff would be able to deal with it. Obviously. “Do you think you'll be able to track down many of the original owners?”

This time, he stopped and stared at me.

“Why would we do that?”

I gaped at him. Why wouldn't they do that? All the stuff we'd picked up had almost certainly belonged to victims of the bandits. What else would you do except try to return it?

Suddenly, Farkas face brightened. “Oh… You think we were hired to find the stolen goods. No.” He shook his head, just slightly. “This time we're working for ourselves. So what you brought back is your pay.”

I was still gaping. I was supposed to just keep the things we'd collected? Even if they really belonged to someone else?

Farkas clapped me cheerfully on the shoulder and headed purposefully towards the great barrel the Companions were filling their mugs and tankards from, greeting the people who were already there as he went. There seemed to be fewer people than I'd expected, but perhaps the other bandits had set up camp further from Whiterun than ours, and the other groups were still on their way home.

“Not drinking?” An authoritative voice behind me made me jump. When I turned, I saw Vilkas, holding a half-full tankard in one hand and a large cake – they call them 'sweetrolls' – in the other.

“Not yet.” Vilkas didn't walk away. I started to feel that I should be having some kind of conversation with him, but I had no idea what to say. In the end, I blurted some question about whether Farkas had been right to say I should keep everything – and regretted it almost immediately.

“You think my brother doesn't know his job?”

“I… No… I… just wasn't sure I'd understood right…” My voice trailed away in the ferocity of Vilkas's stare.

“Well.” I really, really wanted to shuffle backwards, to be just ever so slightly further away from Vilkas if this was about to turn violent, but I was sure moving would get me into trouble. I just about managed to hold my ground. Eventually, Vilkas let his breath out in an explosive sigh.

“Yeah. My brother isn't always good at explanations. His brains are – not his strong suit.” A smile twitched momentarily at the corners of Vilkas's mouth. No doubt he was contemplating the fighting that undeniably is his brother's 'strong suit'. I couldn't help wondering if Vilkas knows how well Farkas sings. “But this time, he's right, and you understood right. If someone employs us to retrieve stolen goods, that's what we do. But sometimes, like this job, we take on the bandits without being hired, because they're too big a threat to ignore. Those times, whatever we find during the job is our pay. Now, I was sent to find you. Come with me.”

He put his tankard down on a nearby table, and led me out to the back yard, collecting Farkas and Skjor from the group of drinkers as we went. Farkas seemed confused by the summons, asking, “Now? Shouldn't that be this evening?” but Vilkas said something about needing to get it (whatever 'it' was) done in a hurry, and Farkas shrugged and came along.

The backyard is where the Companions do most of their training. It's a big empty space edged by part of Whiterun's defensive wall, and containing archery targets and dummies you can practice your sword-swings against. It's overlooked by a kind of roofed patio – maybe what the Americans would call a verandah, although I'm never sure whether those have to go all the way round a house – where there are tables, and generally people sit and watch the training, or drink, or talk, if it's a nice day. There was no-one there now, but Aela and Kodlak were standing outside, in the training area. As the rest of us arrived, Kodlak began to speak:

“Brothers and Sisters of the Circle, today we welcome a new soul into our mortal hold. This man has endured, has challenged and has showed his valour. Who will speak for him?”

To my surprise, Farkas answered:

“I stand witness to the courage of the soul before us.”

“Would you raise your shield in his defence?”

Gradually, as Kodlak and Farkas exchanged what were obviously ritual questions and responses, I realised this was some kind of initiation ceremony. Which was bad. I didn't want to be initiated. I just wanted to learn to fight well enough to survive the journey to Winterhold.

“I would stand at his back, that the world might never overtake us.”

Despite myself – despite not wanting to be some kind of official Companion, and despite the fact that the words had no doubt been used for every initiation for the past hundred years – I felt oddly touched. These people were prepared to consider me part of their group. Maybe they weren't quite friends of mine, but they were prepared to be my colleagues.

“Would you raise your sword for his honour?”

“It stands ready to meet the blood of his foes.”

“Would you raise a mug in his name?”

I suppressed a smile. I didn't think there was much doubt about the answer to that one.

“I would lead the song in triumph as our mead hall revelled in his stories.”

“Then the judgement of this Circle is complete. His heart beats with the fury and the courage that have united the Companions since the days of the distant green summers. Let it beat with ours, so the mountains may echo and our enemies may tremble at the sound.”

As soon as Kodlak had stopped speaking, the others moved briskly away, nodding amiably at me if they caught my eye, and checking their weapons as they went. I heard several comments about 'the plan'. I'd have asked one of them what was going on, but Skjor came over to me. Skjor is one of the most senior of the (all theoretically equal) members of the Circle. He always makes me a bit nervous, so I didn't dare ask about 'the plan'.

“We need you to go to Shimmermist Cave.” He pulled out a hand-drawn map, spread it on one of the outdoor tables, and described the route to the cave. Once he was satisfied I could find my way there, he told me why he was sending me.

“Rinna Black-Blade. She's been kidnapped. There are rumours that her mother inherited a fortune from an aunt last year, and the kidnappers are demanding a share of the wealth. Siri Black-Blade says she inherited nothing but an old cooking-pot, so she can't pay the ransom. Whether or not that's true, she's paying us to rescue Rinna. We think there's only a small group behind it, so you should be fine on your own.”

“On my own? Wouldn't it be better to send a couple of us?” I was panicking a bit. How big was this 'small group'? On my own, I'd have had no chance against even three of the bandits Farkas and I had fought yesterday.

Skjor looked at me darkly. “One of the groups of bandits is causing us some trouble. The rest of us are all needed there.”

I couldn't hold in my astonishment. “All of you?” If it needed the whole of the Circle, it must be pretty serious.

Skjor was grim. “All of us. They have vampires with them. Among other things.” I saw his jaw clench, and wondered just how bad things were. “Kodlak will be here, so you can report to him once you've taken the girl home.” He paused, and glanced down at my belt contemptuously. “Get yourself a decent weapon from Eorlund at the Skyforge before you go, instead of that… thing.” And he, like the others, set off round the side of Jorrvaskr at a jog.

I shook my head, thinking that I really need to get home soon. I'm starting to just accept things like vampires as if that's normal. Honestly, though, vampires?! If they turn out to be all twinkly and engaged in a feud with some werewolves, I'll know I'm hallucinating!
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; April 24, 2018 at 10:05 AM.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

This makes me want to play Skyrim again!

I'm enjoying this, I like how even now he is still so confused by this all! XD It is refreshing and interesting! Fabulous writing!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

You're very kind, Tigellinus. Thank you.

(I think there's plenty left in Skyrim for Yannick to be baffled by. It's a fairly weird place... )

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Great stuff, love the picture at the start.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

waveman's Avatar Decanus

*gasp!*

A lonely Yannick certainly doesn't seem like it will go well....... but.... perhaps a chance to bring Lydia along?

My AARs/writing: Link
    Letters for writing: þ, ð æ Æ

Socrates1984's Avatar Decanus
    Citizen

Caillagh, you have to stop writing such great things, because my vocabulary for praising isn't that extensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus
    This makes me want to play Skyrim again!
    I, one the other hand, *don't* want to play Skyrim again! This AAR brings to life the inhabitants and the environment of Skyrim in a way that if I play again I will be disappointed by how flat they are in the game. I mean, there are phrases written casually in various parts of the text that make Skyrim a place with real people. One example that I very much enjoyed (it actually made me stop reading):
    Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh
    ...he was singing.
    and later
    Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh
    I couldn't help wondering if Vilkas knows how well Farkas sings.
    This is just an example. Another one I have to mention is the first picture and its description. Sure the picture is beautiful, but it is limiting at the same time. Its description though is not! Despite being very accurate, it gave me enough stimulus to feel and to visualize the picture in a million different ways!

Ah, there are probably too many good things to say about this chapter (and about this AAR in general).

I've been kind of putting off doing this, because... well, how on earth do I reply to comments like these? Still, it would be even worse to say nothing, so here goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Great stuff, love the picture at the start.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by waveman View Post
    *gasp!*

A lonely Yannick certainly doesn't seem like it will go well....... but.... perhaps a chance to bring Lydia along?
    The evidence so far does rather suggest that Yannick has a better chance of surviving if he has help, doesn't it? And why wouldn't he take Lydia? She's a trained fighter, after all, and he's been sent after a bunch of - possibly desperate - kidnappers...

...so, maybe he will (it would definitely be sensible to take somebody) and maybe he won't. I'm not telling (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates1984 View Post
    Caillagh, you have to stop writing such great things, because my vocabulary for praising isn't that extensive!

I, one the other hand, *don't* want to play Skyrim again! This AAR brings to life the inhabitants and the environment of Skyrim in a way that if I play again I will be disappointed by how flat they are in the game. I mean, there are phrases written casually in various parts of the text that make Skyrim a place with real people. One example that I very much enjoyed (it actually made me stop reading):
    and later

This is just an example. Another one I have to mention is the first picture and its description. Sure the picture is beautiful, but it is limiting at the same time. Its description though is not! Despite being very accurate, it gave me enough stimulus to feel and to visualize the picture in a million different ways!

Ah, there are probably too many good things to say about this chapter (and about this AAR in general).
    Socrates, I fear neither my vocabulary nor the available assortment of little yellow people is sufficient to express my (very gratified) embarrassment at your comments. I am sadly restricted to these two people: and they are just not enough to express my reaction to such overwhelming praise. Thank you.

(The writing will probably all go downhill from here on, though... )
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; March 14, 2017 at 09:32 AM.

In order to not always quethe "Great chapter", "Great update" or anything in the manner of this, because it is evident that every chapter in this AAR is inherently of uttermost illustriousness and augustness (Yes, I did have to look them up), I will say this: Noice. Okay maybe a bit too much but seriously, there is not much else to say... Again a chapter I enjoyed and the thoughts of Yannick when the Companions spoke about him were nice!

Shimmermist Cave - this playce brings back dark memories of my very first playthrough at the beginning... it didn't end well .

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

A moment of beauty and serenity, such as the vision of the aurora and Farkas' haunting singing, can provide an effective contrast for moments of fear and danger - so I wonder what threats Yannick will face on this risky-sounding solo mission. The last line about vampires and werewolves is good!

Thank you, theSilentKiller! ("Illustriousness" and "augustness", hmm? I have a lot to live up to...)
    Quote Originally Posted by theSilentKiller View Post
    Shimmermist Cave - this playce brings back dark memories of my very first playthrough at the beginning... it didn't end well .
    Oh... I'm sorry for bringing back bad memories. Skyrim has several places that still reliably do that to me, sadly. (I'm a bit incompetent, especially when I keep stopping to take screenshots. )

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    A moment of beauty and serenity, such as the vision of the aurora and Farkas' haunting singing, can provide an effective contrast for moments of fear and danger - so I wonder what threats Yannick will face on this risky-sounding solo mission. The last line about vampires and werewolves is good!
    Thank you.

Threats? You mean apart from the kidnappers? (And probably some wolves - there always seem to be wolves.) I think kidnappers is enough to be going on with, personally!

Default Re: A Long Way From Home - A Skyrim AAR [updated 2nd April 2017]

Chapter Thirty-Eight: Shimmermist Cave

It wasn't till I saw Lydia coming down Breezehome's stairs that it occurred to me going back to the house might not have been such a good idea.

I'd gone there because the things I'd brought back from the bandits' lair were heavy, and some of them were pretty bulky. I didn't want to have to carry everything to the cave Skjor had sent me to – I might have to fight the kidnappers, or carry the little girl, so I didn't really want to be weighed down by a load of stuff I didn't need. On the other hand, I still couldn't decide what I ought to do with it all. Should I really sell it, when it surely belonged to other people? So my plan had been to leave all the things from the bandits' lair at my new house – and work out what I should do with them later, after I'd been to the cave.

What I'd forgotten when I came up with this idea was that it wasn't just my house; it was also Lydia's home. And if she was in there was bound to be an awkward conversation about me running off to do dangerous things without her.

I was surprised, when I walked through the front door, at the change in the place. I'd expected it would take a while – several days, at least – for all the cleaning to be done and for new furniture to arrive. It seemed that Lydia was some kind of cleaning and furnishing miracle-worker. The dust and cobwebs were gone. There was a bright, welcoming fire in the fire-pit, and the place was full of the kind of solid, practical furniture that somehow manages to be more comfortable than it looks. I could happily have sat myself in one of the chairs by that fire and relaxed for a while, maybe with a book, if I'd only had the time. But I didn't. If it had been any other job, I might have told Skjor I wasn't going to do any more jobs for the Companions, but I couldn't quite bring myself to desert a little girl who'd been kidnapped. And I probably need whatever money I can earn – I still need food and equipment to get me to Winterhold. I suppose there are far worse ways of earning money than by doing jobs for the Companions.

I was unloading the cloaks and the swords and the random unidentifiable objects into a cupboard when I heard footsteps on the stairs and turned to see Lydia.

“You came back.” Lydia's tone of voice wasn't giving anything away. I had no idea whether she was relieved I was alive or disappointed she wasn't rid of me yet. I decided to change the subject.

“I like the new furniture.”

She nodded. “Good.” Her face was still expressionless. There was one of those awkward silences. I carried on piling things into the cupboard. I guessed that if I said the wrong thing, Lydia's calm would disappear like ale up at Jorrvaskr, so I stayed quiet. It seemed to work. Lydia went over to the fire-pit and sat in one of the chairs, and when I'd finished transferring bandit loot from my rucksack to the cupboard, I walked over to where she was sitting. It seemed rude just to leave without saying where I was going. She spoke before I had chance to:

“Danica,” she said pointedly, “thinks that once she's healed my leg again this evening, I should be able to fight again without damaging it. So you won't need to rely on Farkas to protect you any more.”

“That isn't why Farkas was with me!” I knew perfectly well I'd have been killed in the first fight in the bandits' lair if I'd been on my own, but even so, I was stung by Lydia implying that I needed looking after. “We were sent to deal with a whole gang of bandits. We were both sent!”

“I see.” Lydia's tone was so unnaturally calm that even I realised it was a sign she was angry. Or upset. Or something. Something bad. “So, in fact, it would have been possible for you to take your housecarl with you.” She stood, and faced me, giving me a stare that would have done credit to Medusa. “Your housecarl, whose job is to protect you.”

I thought I'd had a pretty good excuse for not taking Lydia.

“Danica told you not to fight or you'd lose the use of your leg. Of course I couldn't take you.”

“The bandits couldn't have waited a couple of days?”

I held back a frustrated sigh. Lydia was never, ever going to trust that I had a decent reason for anything. “The bandits might have waited. The Companions wouldn't have done. It was a co-ordinated raid – three bandit hideouts at once. Apparently the gangs were all working together. If Farkas and I had waited, our gang might have helped another gang fight off one of the other teams of Companions. And one of the other raids is going badly anyway. If our bandits had joined in with that fight there might be no Companions left. Farkas and everyone else have been sent off to help as it is.” I couldn't help worrying about that a bit. Any fight that needed all the Companions had to be pretty serious.

“Everyone except you. Or are you on your way there now?” She sounded as if she didn't believe I would be any help even if I went. Which made it even more awkward to have to admit I'd been sent to do a job on my own.

“No.” I paused, trying – and failing – to work out a good way to phrase it. “Skjor sent me to Shimmermist Cave...”

“Right, then.” She picked up her sword. “Let's go.”

“Lydia, I can't take you. If I take you and your leg is permanently damaged, you'll never be able to fight again, and I'll be responsible for that.”

“Then wait till tomorrow.” I should have seen that coming, after the conversation about the bandits.

“I can't.” She turned away from me, obviously not believing a word of it. “Lydia, it's a little girl who's been kidnapped. Skjor sent me to rescue her. I don't think that should wait.”

I could hear Lydia's teeth grating as she ground them together in frustration. “This is just another excuse not to take me, isn't it? You don't mind taking Farkas to fights, but you won't take me. What's wrong with me?”

“Nothing!” I thought about that for a moment. “Well, nothing except an injured leg. Look, I don't want to dishonour you. And I'd much rather be taking you with me. But Skjor thinks this is an easy one-person job – that's why he gave it to me.” I thought about that for a moment. “Mind you, they all thought Farkas and I could handle the bandit gang.”

“So?” She looked back at me, bemused. “You did.”

“We – I – nearly didn't.”

We looked at each other. She still looked fierce. I still couldn't take her with me. “And you'll be here looking after my household affairs – you said housecarls do that – and getting your leg healed so that when I come running back here because I can't rescue Rinna on my own you'll be fit to come with me.”

She made a disgusted-but-resigned sort of noise and turned away from me. After a moment she turned back, as fierce as ever.

“Make sure you do.”

It was my turn to be confused. “Make sure I do what?”

“Come running back here if it's too much for you. If I let my thane get killed by a bunch of kidnappers I'll be humiliated.”

It would have been nicer to think she didn't want me to die because she liked me, but that was never going to happen. At least she doesn't want me to be killed. By other people, anyway…

The route Skjor had described to Shimmermist Cave was straightforward. Most of it was along the road, so I didn't have to concentrate too hard on direction-finding. That gave me plenty of opportunity to think, and by the time I'd reached the place where I needed to turn off the road, I'd realised I had some questions about this 'kidnapping'. For a start, how come Skjor knew where the kidnappers were? It's not as if kidnappers usually put a return address on their ransom notes, so how did Skjor know? And how did Skjor know there was only a small group of kidnappers? Come to think of it, exactly how big did Skjor think a 'small group' was?

The sky was darkening, threatening rain, as I stepped from the cobbled road onto the pathway of worn earth, but even so I decided to scout around a bit rather than heading directly into the cave. If nothing else, surely a bunch of kidnappers would have a lookout or two stationed somewhere, and it would be nice to find them before they could raise the alarm. I could see where the path led – the entrance to the cave was quite low down in a notch in a rocky outcrop. There was no lookout there, so they must be stationed somewhere else. Probably higher up. The lowest part of the outcrop was almost a cliff, but there did seem to be flatter places above that, and some of them had trees and rocks that a lookout could hide behind. Looking around, I saw a path leading off to the right which seemed to head upwards, and I set off that way.

Before I had taken more than a dozen steps, the rain began. Heavy, cold, unrelenting rain, the kind that blurs your vision and soaks your clothes in seconds. I kept going. Either I'd find a lookout, or I might find some kind of shelter – and with any luck the storm would pass quickly and I could get back to rescuing my kidnap victim. I was fortunate. I found shelter under a large overhang of rock.

This place seems to be some kind of memorial. There's a statue of a man killing a dragon – I suppose he's the local St George figure, since I'm sure there's a statue quite like it in Whiterun. There are candles around it, and people have left coins and flowers and food beneath it. There's even someone's sword. The food and flowers are fresh, so either it's a memorial to someone who died recently, or whatever happened here must have been something significant. Or maybe it wasn't something that happened here; the war memorials back at home often commemorate events a long way away if a lot of local people died in those battles. I hope no-one will think it's disrespectful of me to shelter here for a while.

It looks as if someone's coming. Two, maybe three people in long robes, I think. It's hard to see through the curtains of rain. Maybe I should start a fire, so we can all dry out a bit while we wait for the storm to move on. There isn't any sign of a previous fire here, though. If they're here to visit the memorial, they might think a fire is inappropriate. I'll just wait till they get here, and ask them.

Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; April 24, 2018 at 10:06 AM.

That's a great conversation with Lydia. It sounds like Yannick not only had to defeat the kidnappers, he has to work out whether he can defeat them before he fights them - otherwise he will be in big trouble with Lydia! I'm intrigued by the people who are coming to the memorial. Maybe they will know something about the kidnappers, so that Yannick can stay out of trouble?

Lydia's calm would disappear like ale up at Jorrvaskr
    I don't know why but I find this line great! (or rather: Greater than the other, already great lines of this chapter!) I wonder if Lydia and Yannick will ever achieve a consensus in anything - Yannick apperantly doesn't think so.

Can't wait to see who Yannick will meet at the "memorial"!

Thank you both.

That's a great conversation with Lydia. It sounds like Yannick not only had to defeat the kidnappers, he has to work out whether he can defeat them before he fights them - otherwise he will be in big trouble with Lydia! I'm intrigued by the people who are coming to the memorial. Maybe they will know something about the kidnappers, so that Yannick can stay out of trouble?
    Oh, I think Lydia would be happy - well, as happy as she's ever going to be, given that she's been left behind - if Yannick manages to escape and ask for her help. I don't think she's all that bothered about whether he decides to do that before or after he starts fighting the kidnappers, though.

Yes, I'm sure the approaching strangers will turn out to be lovely, kind, helpful people. That's how everybody is in Skyrim, right?

I don't know why but I find this line great! (or rather: Greater than the other, already great lines of this chapter!) I wonder if Lydia and Yannick will ever achieve a consensus in anything - Yannick apperantly doesn't think so.

Can't wait to see who Yannick will meet at the "memorial"!
    I think Yannick's formed an opinion of the drinking habits of the Companions.

I suspect there are one or two things Yannick and Lydia would agree about. The real question is whether Yannick will live long enough for the two of them to discover this is the case!

And - well - I can offer you a theory about who was approaching Yannick as he sheltered...

Default Re: A Long Way From Home - A Skyrim AAR [updated 10th April 2017]

Chapter Thirty-Nine: North-West by West (ish)

This work is written in the illumination of the works of all the gods, may they be honoured forever, and in the shadow of the wisdom of the Clan Mothers, may their truth prosper always.

May all the gods in their glorious natures look favourably upon this humble writing and upon this still humbler writer. Of S'rendarr, this one asks mercy for himself, his companions, and the one they seek; mercy even where such a thing seems impossible. Of Rajhin is requested his cunning, his sharp eyes, and his dexterity. Of Great Alkosh it is begged that time may stretch and fold to allow us to attain our goal. May the wit of Baan Dar inspire all our plans.

At the beginning of any work of writing, it is customary to address oneself to the gods; to abase oneself before their greatness, and to request their assistance that the writing may please them and others. This invocation should be elaborate and elegant. All know that one cannot extol the virtues of the gods properly in less than four or five thousand words, nor expect them to assist if those words are not chosen with the utmost care and delicacy. This one therefore begins by apologising for the few and infelicitous words he has given to the gods, but, regrettably, time presses.

This one wishes to express his distress at the current circumstances and humbly names himself Ma'Jhan, that there may be no doubt whose is the blame for the inadequacies of this writing. If there were but a few more moments available to him, he would not only do better justice to the glory of the gods, but would also set down the precise details of the events which have led him to this point. Alas! there is scant time left before this one's departure will be required of him, and all must sleep before the journey begins. Therefore, the briefest of summaries must suffice, as follows:

This journal was recovered earlier today from the place where it had fallen, within the shelter of a shrine of Talos not far from the noble Skyrim city of Whiterun. Also recovered with it was a finely-crafted axe. Since this one recognised the journal as belonging to the man he sought, these items were taken to the nearby city in the hope that someone there might know the location of their owner. Sadly, this effort was in vain, yet not entirely a loss, for a woman named Lydia, who claims to be the housecarl of the journal-writer, has been discovered, and she has consented to assist in our search for her employer, who is named Yannick Morgan.

Shulgak gra-Murz, who graciously consented to travel with this one from Windhelm, had expressed her belief that the Thalmor had captured Yannick at the shrine. The Thalmor, it seems, incline to the belief that anyone at a shrine of Talos must be a worshipper of Talos, and anyone who worships Talos outside one of Skyrim's cities must be detained and encouraged to provide the names of all his fellow-worshippers. Thus, it would seem that Yannick may not have been handed over to the Imperial troops who wish to execute him; the Thalmor may perhaps only have taken him as a result of his unfortunate location when they came upon him. As a consequence of this misfortune, he may still be alive and in Thalmor custody. On the one claw, this is no matter for rejoicing; on another, there is yet hope, albeit small hope.

This one had expected that Shulgak gra-Murz would return to her own home when it became apparent Yannick was not to be found easily. It seems, however, that she is less than fond of the Thalmor. Her phrase was, if this one recollects accurately, “arrogant pointy-faced scum.” Shulgak did not divulge the reasons for her views, but her dislike of the Thalmor has led her to offer to assist in seeking the prison where Yannick is currently held, and to aid in attempting to secure his release. This one is optimistic that this might be possible, as there can be not a whisper of evidence that Yannick is a worshipper of Talos, since he is not even a native of this world. Shulgak is somewhat less sanguine. Still, Shulgak has offered to accompany this one, and this one is more than grateful for Shulgak's assistance.

Thus far, the summary of events would seem to indicate only one possible outcome, namely: that this one and those who have generously agreed to assist him should set out forthwith and seek to follow the trail left by the captors of Yannick Morgan. However, all has not yet been told. It seemed, and still seems, inappropriate and intrusive to this one that anyone should look inside the journal so carefully kept and meticulously written by Yannick. And yet this one finds himself not only reading the journal, but writing his own words in it. How can this be? This Khajiit confesses with shame that he is less strong of will and principle than he would wish himself to be; he was persuaded by Lydia that to read the last entry Yannick had written might provide clues to help us follow the trail of his kidnappers. This one could not in honesty deny that knowing such things as the number of assailants, the kind of armour or clothing they wore and the style of their footwear, and, of course, whether or not they rode horses, could indeed be valuable in tracking them. In such a way, this one came to believe that reading Yannick's most recent entry, and only that entry, might be permissible. To this one's everlasting shame, that last entry contained little of use for tracking Yannick and his assailants. This one had betrayed the trust of Yannick Morgan for nothing that could benefit him.

The one small mitigation of that shame is that it was clear from the journal entry that Yannick had been on his way to rescue a small kidnapped girl from Shimmermist Cave, which is remarkably close to the shrine of Talos. Naturally, this one could not leave a frightened child in the hands of kidnappers. Since it was necessary to inspect the ground at the shrine in order to track Yannick, it seemed to this one that the correct behaviour would be to rescue the small girl at the same time. This would inevitably occasion some small delay to the beginning of the hunt for Yannick, and this one admits that his plan did not entirely satisfy Lydia and Shulgak, who felt that the rescue of the little girl could be left to others, while the search for Yannick could not. In the end, it was decided that this one should travel with Shulgak to the shrine, and to Shimmermist Cave. If the little one could be rescued, we would make the endeavour, so that we might acquire both information on the direction Yannick and his captors had taken and also the safety of the young one. In the meantime, Lydia would obtain supplies for our hunt, which may be long and through difficult terrain. She also offered to make enquiries of the natives of Whiterun, who know her well, in the hope of learning where the Thalmor were likely to have taken Yannick. This was great magnanimity on her part, as she was reluctant to agree to any plan which would delay our departure from Whiterun.

This one is most happy to relate that the gods of great fortune and success smiled upon this one and Shulgak in their endeavours, and also shone their light of discovery upon the enquiries of Lydia. Rinna, the small kidnapped person, who pressed her name upon this one most determinedly when in his relief at finding her alive he inadvertently called her a kitten, has been returned safely to her family. Lydia has been informed by several people, on whose veracity she is happy to rely, that the Thalmor will certainly have removed Yannick to a place called Northwatch Keep, far to the North-West* of here.

The tracks from the shrine of Talos headed southwards, along the road. This one is assured that for someone wishing to travel on the road, either north or south would be a possible route to Northwatch Keep from the shrine. Lydia believes we may be able to make up a little for lost time if we travel across country for part of the way. She believes that the Thalmor are likely to keep to the road, and that we should be able to take a faster route off the roads, although we will still need to visit the settlements scattered along the road in order to make enquiries. This one and Shulgak, being more experienced at hunting animals than Lydia, would prefer to follow the trail of the Thalmor directly, but Lydia has justly observed that if the Thalmor travel on the road, their tracks will rapidly be obscured by the traces of other travellers. It is therefore agreed that we will travel across country to the first settlements Lydia believes the Thalmor will visit.

Both Lydia and Shulgak will read this account as it is written. This one has asked them to read it carefully and to correct any errors, clarify any ambiguities, and amplify any insufficiently-detailed sections. This one writes in the hope that it might help Yannick fill in any gaps that arise in his memory during the time this journal is out of his possession, if only by indicating how much time has passed. It is therefore more than usually vital that this writing should be accurate and complete.

*This one's navigation in a paragraph above must be corrected. Both Lydia and Shulgak insist that Northwatch Keep is on a heading of approximately North-West by West from Whiterun. So it is concluded that we will depart early tomorrow morning, and by roundabout ways we will eventually head North-West by West.
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; April 24, 2018 at 10:07 AM.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Uh-oh, something hasn't gone to plan... what trouble has Yannick gotten himself into now.

But also;

Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; April 12, 2017 at 04:26 PM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Someone else is writing in Yannick's journal!

Ma'Jhan is back! And Shulgak and Lydia!

I like the way that I can hear their different voices, from Ma'Jhan's elegant address to the gods, to Shulgak's trenchant description of the Thalmor. The details are well done, too, like Rinna's reaction when Ma'Jhan inadvertently calls her a kitten.

I see the Ma'Jhan fans are here. (It's a huge relief to discover Ma'Jhan actually has fans. If he didn't, that last chapter would have been disastrous...) Thank you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Uh-oh, something hasn't gone to plan... what trouble has Yannick gotten himself into now.

But also;

Are you implying that Yannick has a habit of getting into trouble?! I can't think where you got that idea...

Someone else is writing in Yannick's journal!
    Yes, indeed. You can tell by the different handwriting.

Ma'Jhan is back! And Shulgak and Lydia!

I like the way that I can hear their different voices, from Ma'Jhan's elegant address to the gods, to Shulgak's trenchant description of the Thalmor. The details are well done, too, like Rinna's reaction when Ma'Jhan inadvertently calls her a kitten.
    Thank you. (Although Ma'Jhan would tell you - with his ears, his shoulders, and even his whiskers drooping in utter failure - that his address to the gods is perfunctory at best, and that it will be a wonder if at least one of the gods doesn't consider it positively rude...)

Well, with Ma'Jhan in the team (and therefore having the favour of the gods with them), nothing can go wrong - I think. I mean, usually everything turns out just like plannes, right?

Well, with Ma'Jhan in the team (and therefore having the favour of the gods with them), nothing can go wrong - I think. I mean, usually everything turns out just like plannes, right?
    For Yannick? Ahem. I mean: oh, yes, it's bound to.

Let's hope Ma'Jhan really does have the favour of the gods...

(Apologies for the delay in replying.)