Thread: Characters and Cretins - Finally a reason to care about your generals and agents

Semisalis

Default Characters and Cretins - Finally a reason to care about your generals and agents

Genuine reasons to care about your generals
    Characters and Cretins is a unique trait system where characters (generals and agents) are given starting traits that significantly affect their performance and how the player should use them.

IN MEDEO STAT VIRTUS EST
    On character creation characters will be assigned one of 12 personality types or clusters. The personality clusters are generated from assortments of 5 standings on personality virtues. In this system characters are seen as having a combination of charateristics that correspond to 5 of Aristotle's virtues. These are:

Abstemious - Disciplined - Indulgent
    Overly modest - Confident - Vain
    Cowardly - Brave - Rash
    Stingey - Generous - Wasteful
    Retiring (boring) - Witty - Buffoon (corresponds to modern introvert vs extrovert personality type)

The Personality clusters are the four classical personality types supplemented with modern personality disorders. I have created 6 normal personality types, and 6 disordered personalities:
    1. Phlegmatic (dour) - Disciplined, confident, brave, stingey, retiring
    2. Melancholic (anxious) - abstemious, overly modest, cowardly, stingey, retiring
    3. Choleric (hot-headed) - Indulgent, confident, rash, wasteful, witty
    4. Sanguine (cheerful) - indulgent, confident, brave, generous, witty
    5. Philosophic - Disciplined, vain, cowardly, generous, witty (marked bonus to research)
    6. Virtuous (filotomic) - Disciplined, confident, brave, generous, witty
    7. Borderline - Indulgent, vain, cowardly, wasteful, witty
    8. Dependent - Indulgent, vain, cowardly, wasteful, retiring
    9. Histrionic - indulgent, vain, rash, wasteful, witty
    10. Narcissistic - indulgent, vain, rash, generous, witty
    11. Obsessive - Abstemious, overly modest, cowardly, stingey, retiring
    12. Sociopath - Abstemious, vain, brave, stingey, witty

Each cluster contains a range of benefits or penalties across 11 effects. Each character has 7 effects. The levels of effect approximate level 2 of current in game traits eg 5-10% affects on unit morale and upkeep costs. the effects are large enough to have a bearing across a campaign so that player choice is affected by the personality of the generals and characters. than a disordered one.

Note - historical generals will not be affected

CANITIES SAPIENTA SEMPER NON SUNT
    From the age of 55 charcacters will progress in their traits slightly, becoming a little less zealous and aggressive and a little better at region management

Intended to be used with 4 TPY mod

For modders:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Notes for combining with TTT mod (experienced modders only)

Disclaimer: I havent tried this to confirm it works, do this at your own risk. I dont know what will happen to icons.

These mods only share one file which is the export_triggers.lua file. I have places my scripting clearly marked at the top of the file. To combine this mod with TTT copy my scripting into the top of the TTT export_triggers file then delete the export_triggers file from my mod pack. Now load both mod packs and hopefully they wont conflict

Progress:
    update version 1p1 uploaded 1st nov 2015 - I have made negative qualities a bit stronger as experience was cancelling out any disadvantages
    Version 1.0 uploaded 28th Feb 2015

Steamlink: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=399908812

Permissions
    Open permission is granted to use in your mods and compilations with acknowledgement.

To install non-steam version: Unzip the zip file then drop the pack file and png file into your rome 2/data folder. Activate with a mod manager

sorry, I am having trouble attaching the file for some reason. Please use steam version
    Last edited by Col.KanKrusha; October 31, 2015 at 07:03 PM. Reason: update
    ~ Too soon old, too late smart ~

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Default Re: [WIP] Characters and Cretins - unique traits system

Sounds like a new must have mod

Semisalis

Default Re: [WIP- early alpha] Characters and Cretins - unique traits system

A little update and a very early alpha. I need to think about whether to go through every single faction in every campaign and delete the current starting traits or whether to over ride them somehow

edit - found the precedence system. My traits have a precedence have 4 and standard traits have a precedence of 1 so my traits can be loaded even if the character already has traits and I wont stuff up Corsus honorim. Leadership traits have a precedence of 5.

so... If anyone is following should I let historic generals have these traits. Would it be immersion breaking if Caesar was melancholic or octavius dependent?

EDIT: updated beta 18th Feb.
    I haven't fully tested all the code but now my new traits should not apply to historic characters
    Also, characters will change with age, after 55 years they have a 15% chance per year of going to a more mellow state, not quite so zealous in combat but slightly better at region management
    Last edited by Col.KanKrusha; February 18, 2015 at 02:21 AM.

Semisalis

Default Re: [beta] Characters and Cretins - needs testing and balancing

Update version 0.3 - working well for generals. I am not sure it is balanced for agents. Some bugs with text still. At this stage really needs play testing to see if other people think it is worth while

Semisalis

Default Re: Characters and Cretins - Finally a reason to care about your generals and agents

Version 1.0 release with details in OP

Default Re: Characters and Cretins - Finally a reason to care about your generals and agents

Would this work on ATW? If not would you consider making a ATW version?

Semisalis

Hi, this should be easy to adapt to Atilla. Unfortunately, i don't intend to buy Atilla but I would be happy to discuss someone adapting it and could advise if needed

I really like the idea of your mod. Did you get my PM?

Semisalis

Yes, thanks. Bug fix uploaded. Should be save game compatible and +rep to mike for spotting the bug.
    Last edited by Col.KanKrusha; March 11, 2015 at 12:43 AM.

14182's Avatar Miles

Great mod, this can spice up the campaign!
    "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first."

Arrigo Sacchi

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

Is it compatible with DEI?

Semisalis

No but if you follow the instructions in the spoiler in the OP you can make it dei compatible (I think)

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

great idea, why have I not found your mod earlier....

Darius_D's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Col.KanKrusha View Post
    Abstemious - Disciplined - Indulgent
    Overly modest - Confident - Vain
    Cowardly - Brave - Rash
    Stingey - Generous - Wasteful
    Retiring (boring) - Witty - Buffoon (corresponds to modern introvert vs extrovert personality type)

The Personality clusters are the four classical personality types supplemented with modern personality disorders. I have created 6 normal personality types, and 6 disordered personalities:
    1. Phlegmatic (dour) - Disciplined, confident, brave, stingey, retiring
    2. Melancholic (anxious) - abstemious, overly modest, cowardly, stingey, retiring
    3. Choleric (hot-headed) - Indulgent, confident, rash, wasteful, witty
    4. Sanguine (cheerful) - indulgent, confident, brave, generous, witty
    5. Philosophic - Disciplined, vain, cowardly, generous, witty (marked bonus to research)
    6. Virtuous (filotomic) - Disciplined, confident, brave, generous, witty
    7. Borderline - Indulgent, vain, cowardly, wasteful, witty
    8. Dependent - Indulgent, vain, cowardly, wasteful, retiring
    9. Histrionic - indulgent, vain, rash, wasteful, witty
    10. Narcissistic - indulgent, vain, rash, generous, witty
    11. Obsessive - Abstemious, overly modest, cowardly, stingey, retiring
    12. Sociopath - Abstemious, vain, brave, stingey, witty
    Great idea. There is no bufoon in your 12 personalities, though so let me suggest something:

Suggestion to Sociopath - not witty but buffoon. I think sociopaths have no sense of humor. They are obsessed and don't forgive insult, they're deadly serious about it.
    Additionally, suggestion to Philosophic - not cowardly but brave. Philosophers rather defend their ideas, even if don't always openly talk about it. For most their ideas define their life.

If you like, I offer more personality proposals to your collection.

2 negative:
    - Egoist - disciplined, confident, cowardly, wasteful, buffoon (similar to narcissist, but towards person prone to corruption and personal benefits, blaming others for his own actions. Quite popular type, I believe. Huge tax penalties for such person, incites discontent in population)
    - Tyrant (buffoon and savage personally but somewhat successful nonetheless) - disciplined, vain, rash, stingey, buffoon. Contrary to Narcissist, he is obsessed with popular perception not only of his person but even more so of his achievements. Both hated and admired by population that enjoys his investments.

2 positive:
    - Shy Optimist - disciplined, overly modest, brave, genereous, retiring (one of those decent persons often overshadowed by more rampant and egoistic types)
    - Challenger - indulgent, confident, brave, stingey, witty (less hot-headed than choleric, more successful-leadership oriented, it's about integrated leaders like Caesar)

Semisalis

Thanks for the suggestions. This is due for a re-work for patch 17 but I have been distracted by other games.

I will keep your suggested personality types in mind.
    Last edited by Col.KanKrusha; September 28, 2015 at 06:57 PM.

Hi,
    In lua script you forgot to define most of the characters. Please fix it. Thanks pal.