View Poll Results: Would you like to see ATW II on M2TW engine and would you be ready to help?

Voters
295. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would like to see it and I would help.

78 26.44%
  • Yes, I would like to play it.

187 63.39%
  • No.

16 5.42%
  • I don't know.

14 4.75%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ATW and M2TW - would you like to see ATW II?

Default Re: ATW and M2TW - would you like to see ATW II?

Antagonist told me about this mod about a week ago, and i just want to thank you guys sooo much for makeing the best mod thats ever been done in my opinion. its personally my dream mod, and the prospect of havin this baby on mtw2 is makin me itch. I would gladly offer any help in researching, though i doubt youll be lacking in the area of historical developement. and skinning is something ive been wanting to learn for a long time. maybe if i start practicing i could help you guys out a bit, but if not ill still be a die hard supporter.
    Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste ná Béarla cliste

Hereward's Avatar Civis

Yes. ATW is my dream game come to life. ATW2 is definately a must do. I'd be another die hard supporter, but unfortunately another lacking skills for this type of project.
    You guys are absolutely awesome. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by WMS View Post
    Antagonist told me about this mod about a week ago, and i just want to thank you guys sooo much for makeing the best mod thats ever been done in my opinion. its personally my dream mod, and the prospect of havin this baby on mtw2 is makin me itch. I would gladly offer any help in researching, though i doubt youll be lacking in the area of historical developement. and skinning is something ive been wanting to learn for a long time. maybe if i start practicing i could help you guys out a bit, but if not ill still be a die hard supporter.
    I had a feeling you might like it.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Default ATW and M2TW - would you like to see ATW II?

That would be wicked!, hehe, I don´t know much about it, I mean modding, but I´m crazy about that period of history so I´d like to help as much as I can, I would like to learn how to change Skins so, do u know a software that I could work with?....well OK. I´m really willing to help, with the engine of MTWII, ATWII would be incredible!!! .

Best wishes!, cheers!.

PS: Or perhaps just a little of history!.

It would make absolutely all of my wishes for a mod come true if this era and setting were to enter the M2TW engine.
    I'd probably get fired from playing it constantly

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Not for me. I guess it would loose a lot of its origin athmosphere that ATW has now. I voted: No.
    I would like to see rather a forwarding development of ATW on BI engine.

However, surely an ATW on MTW2 would be appealing, and the unit graphics would be very nice, but in the whole, i'm afraid it will loose a lot of the current flavor, if you for example don't workover the whole 2d and 3d graphics of MTW2 and thelike. Well, this said, an ATW2 as a whole new mod is a good idea, but a huge project that needs probable 3d building/settlement developers etc., if this can be done, then yes, i support the idea.
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 10, 2008 at 07:31 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

It's unlikely to happen now in any case (short of a large influx of new personnel) but we were always aware of a trade-off in terms of M2TW versus BI. I personally think M2TW has a lot of potential but unfortunately it is very difficult to unlock it, and requires much more work than to mod RTW.

There are a few features which are particularly appealing from ATW's perspective. More factions, which would allow us to accomodate a few more factions which narrowly lossed out in internal discussion, and also possibly emerging factions (Anglo-Saxon kingdoms which didn't exist in 480, for example) Some graphical features such as model variation would be excellent as well (equipment was hardly uniform for any of our cultures as you might expect) There were also some interesting ideas regarding some Kingdoms features.

On the other hand, there are a fair few features dropped from RTW which would make things that bit more awkward (the Barbarian buildings for example, while in no way representative of settlements in the British Isles at the time, were still closer to them on the whole than anything in M2TW)

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Patrician Artifex

Yes, i'm very much aware of the possibilities of M2 and Kingdoms, as i modded with both games/campaigns in the meantime.

It is just a matter of energy in the wider sense, if it is senseful to convert ATW to M2/Kingdoms (or any other non-medieval or non-renaissance mod).

I for example think, that typical mods until late dark age/early middleage aren't very suitable to convert to M2's engine (not to mention classic timeframes), unless people (the developers) wanna really have a very long time to create that what it needs to be a real worthy mod, and not a half-assed mod with a lot of not actually fitting M2/Kingdoms stuff left-in ... so i think it is more senseful to put the efforts into the RTW/BI engine (especially if a mod is that far developed like ATW), and finishing actually a mod in all directions. Chivalry for example wouldn't ever be realised on RTW, if M2 would have been published far earlier, that's sure, but Chivalry is just a medieval game (edit: and it is still not finished in a few regards, project started at the end of 2004 right after RTW's release ). Any real medieval timeframe mods need of course less work on the M2 engine, and not more, as you mentioned above (but assuming you meant non-medieval mods).

Believe me, a proper conversion for ATW to M2's engine needs more than a year, or there will be enough developers who are doing nothing else than only modding for one year

This said, besides my concerns about the special flavour of an ATW on RTW/BI engine, which will be lost due to M2's complete other flavour/appearence ... what is of course a matter of taste (I just still like to play any good RTW/BI mods, although i modded/played now M2/Kdms for a lot of time).
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 11, 2008 at 08:48 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

This said, besides my concerns about the special flavour of an ATW on RTW/BI engine, which will be lost due to M2's complete other flavour/appearence ... what is of course a matter of taste (I just still like to play any good RTW/BI mods, although i modded/played now M2/Kdms for a lot of time).
    Indeed. Personally I would say that for sheer atmosphere and "flavour" no subsequent TW game has ever topped the original Shogun, though I couldn't exactly say why.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Patrician Artifex

For me, something like that is indeed MTW:VI (maybe because i'm a north-german, my family name is actually Wulf )

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

MTW:VI is rather special for me as well, perhaps because it brought extra detail to the British Isles.

It felt like a mod, stretching the MTW engine to do new things. I especially liked the new raiding game you could play as Vikings.

I distinctly remember how astonished I was when a single unit of 12 berzerkers ripped through my 100+ spears and defeated them.

I played all the factions, even finding a way to conquer Denmark and Norway as Mercia (I think you have to use spies and assassins because your ships can't go there).

Arthurian feels like the spiritual successor to MTW:VI, it would be really nice to finish more features of it, like Celtic Christianity.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Patrician Artifex

Indeed, when will we see an update of ATW/BI, friends?

Perhaps in the moderate future, perhaps never. We have only 1-2 active team members ATM, so it's unclear how much we can do. At the least, however, we would like to release a tidied-up version of the current 0.7 release, incorporating bug fixes, an installer and mod-foldering (finally) Beyond that, hopefully we can get at least some basic traits and ancillaries in, which should provide some more historical flavour, and possibly a more robust Celtic Christianity.

Obviously we had more extensive plans than this originally, but anything beyond that is highly speculative at this point, and even that cannot be promised or a release date provided. It's a great motivator to know that people are still interested however.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

I expect more will be interested once it is mod-foldered I know I will be the first to download. Keep it up

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
    Perhaps in the moderate future, perhaps never. We have only 1-2 active team members ATM, so it's unclear how much we can do. At the least, however, we would like to release a tidied-up version of the current 0.7 release, incorporating bug fixes, an installer and mod-foldering (finally) Beyond that, hopefully we can get at least some basic traits and ancillaries in, which should provide some more historical flavour, and possibly a more robust Celtic Christianity.

Obviously we had more extensive plans than this originally, but anything beyond that is highly speculative at this point, and even that cannot be promised or a release date provided. It's a great motivator to know that people are still interested however.

Antagonist
    Okay. Well, if i would have more time available, i would be glad to help out, but unfortunately atm. i can't give enough into the projects where i directly participate.
    A bugfixed update version alone as well would be nice, imo.

Dean Martin's Avatar Tiro

As always i missed the voting! But i would be very glad to hear there will be a part two of this mod.

I dont know if anyone else has ever suggested it, but if anyone has read, "A Dream of Eagles," its a book series set on the Arthurian legend in the era that you guys are working with. I think it would be a perfect thing to look at for ATW2. Its also a damn good read.

Default ATW and M2TW - would you like to see ATW II?

Well, difficult will be certanly , but there is a lot of people interested. Real life is the main problem, at least for me,studing and working eats a lot of time!!! but anyway, I would like to add that I'm in!, I'm learning some things about skins and so, for that reason you can count on me when the time comes to start working.

See ya around!, cheers

Shame it looks like ATW2 on MTW2 isnt going to happen. Would of ben really good to show how (if?) britons worked together under Arthur to fight the saxons, using Arthurs faction like the papacy. Renaming the crusades as call to arms or something. Ah well, back to my day dreams
    Para Todos Todo, Para Nosotros Nada. - Subcommandante Marcos
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

There is a project started about a VII-VIIIth century mod set in the British isles, Vacuus Lux Lucis. We may bring some help to it. Check it:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=154102

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast