Thread: Diplomacy/Tributes Mysterious Expenditure! Please help!

Default Diplomacy/Tributes Mysterious Expenditure! Please help!

Hello! I have an interesting issue. I consistently get an unchanging diplomacy expenditure of 1579 every turn as Venice. I was the Byzantine's vassal for a few turns, but then we went to war, and I'm still losing money! I've never gotten a straight answer as to whether you actually lose money as a vassal, but I haven't been anybody's vassal for many turns, and I've checked all of my relations with everyone! Please help! It's just annoying when I'm owning everyone else, and the fact that it doesn't change based on how much money I have makes me think it's a glitch...

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Diplomacy/Tributes Mysterious Expenditure! Please help!

Have you made any florins-per-turn gifts or deals with other factions?

No! I just checked and re-checked - no current deals. I do have a pirated version, but it's tip-top. No issues. It's mad annoying - I checked earlier saves and no expenditure, even when I was a vassal. Now, it's there consistently and does not vary at all. It's kind of ruining the immersion for me, you know? I also set the time to be half a year, so it's a looooong campaign, I won't restart.

Quote Originally Posted by Adstatoris Seianis View Post
    No! I just checked and re-checked - no current deals. I do have a pirated version, but it's tip-top. No issues. It's mad annoying - I checked earlier saves and no expenditure, even when I was a vassal. Now, it's there consistently and does not vary at all. It's kind of ruining the immersion for me, you know? I also set the time to be half a year, so it's a looooong campaign, I won't restart.
    You should get a legitimate copy. No sympathy.
    Medieval 2 Total War Blitz Record with the Turks - 14 turns!
    Medieval 2 Total War Peasant Campaign Challenge with Egypt - 112 regions - 27 turns to spare!
    Next challenge : Total War: Shogun 2 - Ikko Ikki Legendary Campaign - No agents, temples, loan swords.
    Like me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Legend-of-Total-War/345399385581266
    Check me out on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/LegendofTotalWar

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

You can pickup the game plus expansion for ~$12 , and you can keep your save from your naughty copy. Go legit, remind CA they once made great games, and people were willing to pay for them.

I didn't even know you could be someone's vassal...lol. No faction has ever offered it to me and I usually don't offer it to them unless they're bordering someone else I want to maintain relationships with.

But if you were a vassal wouldn't you be paying a tribute to your lord state, hence the cost?

Yeah, but like I said, war broke the vassalage and the amount does not fluctuate. I just kept playing and decided to treat it as a challenge. And word on purchasing, guys - I'm all about supporting good developers, I know it's unreasonable to expect support when you cut corners, I was just temporarily vexed by such an obscure and random issue. As it is, I'm still interested in what you think it might be, not with the expectation of a workable resolution, but out of sheer curiosity.

Thanks for the replies btw, tw center is awesome.

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

Don't pirate the game. It costs almost nothing now anyways. $9.50 on Amazon with Kingdoms included. http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-II-Total-Gold-Download/dp/B00AEV8PLG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423347239&sr=8-3&keywords=Medieval+II
    Last edited by King William the Conqueror; February 07, 2015 at 04:14 PM.
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

The kingdoms part of that doesn't actually work. That is the version I bought and I had numerous posts in a tech thread with Ishron trying to help me. Finally we gave up.

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

Sorry that's the wrong link. And yes it does work. Just because it didn't work on your computer doesn't mean the product is defective.
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

I can offer no explanation, as I too have paid out "diplomacy" sums without discovering the reason despite research.

Being a vassal in M2TW has no effect on the player. The factions most likely to offer vassalage are Milan, and the Byzantines (vs the Turks, for example.) I have played as a vassal several times out of curiosity, once helping the Byzantines (who had 5 territories) to take Venice with my 30 territory vassal Turkish empire. Once Milan renounced it's vassalage of my faction, declaring "We will not find glory with you!".

If the player has vassals they get 50% of any profits the vassal makes. This happens each turn. If your vassal is bankrupt obviously this doesn't occur. In a long ago thread here a player posted images showing where he had made the Mongols vassals before they had taken a city. He was collecting 150,000 GP per turn from them. I've tried, but not managed to make vassals of the Mongols (yet!)

The player also gets a reputation boost from from having vassals.

Usually you need to be a chivalrous kingdom/empire with a reputation of Trustworthy, and outnumber the target on their own territory for them to willingly become vassals with several territories. Most factions would rather fight to the death than become vassal to a Despicable faction. Continuous siege and release of a final territory is said to alter this, although I have not tested it. (In M1TW you only had to siege the final territory once, and if you lifted the siege the faction would become neutral to you).

The best time to ask is if another faction comes to you with a peace offer.
    "War is an extension of diplomacy, but by other means." Karl von Clausewitz

Quote Originally Posted by FootSoldier View Post
    The best time to ask is if another faction comes to you with a peace offer.
    True. As the HRE, Hungary attacked me and send a mostly mounted army against one of my cities. I defeated them but I lost my general. Then the war went cold unter they finally offered peace. I demanded they becoma a vassal and they accepted, even though they still had a decent amount of territories and no enemies. I forgot how long the vassalage lasted, but as long as you don't make them any offer and no "ally attacks ally" occurs, you should be able to make it last.

Also, the campaign was on VH.