Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are battles still grindy?

Domesticus

Default Re: Are battles still grindy?

Slingers > Archers in kills from the rear. Slingers absolutely devastate heavy infantry with proper placement

Slingers are concentrated awesome.

In a medium-ranged armor-piercing ranged package (that you sorta have to treat carefully OR just accept their deaths)

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post

I think the AI is actually a bit better at tactics than actual Successor states were.
    Hah! So true! I've always thought that the real problem with this game is not that the AI is bad, but that the player has a level of command control that would make the SAS blush.

Mr Monk, thank you for your thoughtful reply! What I meant is that I have attacked the enemy phalanxes from the rear and while they are tired with the highest-quality, freshest units of chosen swordsmen and naked fanatics, and still I cause very few casualties. I think for the current leg of my campaign all I will need to build is a glut of low and medium-quality spearmen and lots of cheap slingers, and I suppose just enough cavalry to control the field. It's a bit disappointing that I'm going to be forced to rely on such an uninteresting and simplistic tactic, but this is the worst case of "grindyness" that I've encountered so far in RS 2.6, and even then it's not game-ruining.

?? (below)
    Last edited by Alavaria; May 01, 2015 at 01:18 AM.

Melee in RS2 is pretty slow. Not only due to the stats you see, but also due to "lethality" which is significantly lower than say vanilla or most mods. (Ours is like 0.5, so half of the "hits" kill)

In comparison, ranged attacks cannot have their lethality modded, it's always at 1 (ie: a hit always kills, I think). Also, everyone in a unit can shoot, unlike with melee as you know.

Domesticus

You were expecting different? Flanking maneuvers are what win a battle, not having 2 lines of infantry going at it.
    Last edited by Grimbold; May 01, 2015 at 07:35 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12