Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ideas thread?

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: Ideas thread?

Not too bad a guess at all, cherry

But discussing this is irrelevant as it has long been decided what the new shadow should be and we cannot change it now without sticking at least 6 months onto the release date
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Oh, I'm just throwing ideas around. You guys can't have ALL the fun

LOL. You think it's fun? Design finished over a year ago and tedium and tough coding are my daily lot

Wait, coding isn't fun?

If I can offer a useful suggestion, I think your map would be improved by making the mountains more dramatic (i.e. taller, snow-capped, etc.) -- you wouldn't have to change anything except 1 or 2 of the tgas, and I think it would really add to the 'epic' feel of the mod...

They are already snow-capped (except in Mordor where they were not so as they were lower), but making them higher also creates problems in viewing what is behind them if they run horizontally across the map. As the TGAs are governed in their application by the climate, and the number of climates is limited, we cannot do all we would like. However, you might find some changes in 2.0 of this kind

WImPyTjeH's Avatar Wimpy of the Sore Ass

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    They are already snow-capped (except in Mordor where they were not so as they were lower), but making them higher also creates problems in viewing what is behind them if they run horizontally across the map. As the TGAs are governed in their application by the climate, and the number of climates is limited, we cannot do all we would like. However, you might find some changes in 2.0 of this kind
    + Have you ever looked into the TGA files. The ground_types, for instance, is probably the most advanced and complicated ground_types file I've ever seen. I've seen some handy tricks in it too. The map_heights is beautiful too.

Much respect to Tittils and whoever else made it work too

W

Thx Wimpy

what about recruitable dwarves, as a merc unit perhaps some where in the mountains,

and maybe elves in one of the northern forests ?
    I was a Roma Surrectum 2.0 Beta Tester

Total War Veteran

Is it really necessary to ask the same thing in about 5 threads?

If this forum were owned by me I would say that was abuse. Please be more responsbile. People have to read threads and want them clean, useful and easy to search.

Thank you.

sorry

Total War Veteran

ljuboja's Avatar Civis

dispite what i thought before, the unit size for RK probably shouldn't be changed since it wont be very balanced, the infantry can hold their own against numerically stronger opponents

the point i wanna make is maybe take out the ports round the sea of rhun, nurnen, and maybe even put a settlement on tolfalas, cair andros, maybe make the harad naval untis significantly stronger than Rk ones
    Bad luck Jerry, third time lucky, eh?

ljuboja's Avatar Civis

not sure if its a bit much...

Worry not, every single unit in the game has been 100% completely redone and balanced from scratch for 2.0. Stats, abilities, size, cost, everything. We hope (and are fairly sure about it) to deliver the most balanced game any mod has ever achieved.

Just so you know, RK unit sizes will remain small compared to other mannish factions.

everything redone for all units, wow. that sounds like a lot of work.

Total War Veteran

It was, and still is. But we think it's worth it and hope that FATW players will get some memorable experiences and will have a great time fighting each other on MP and the battle-field AI . Which btw is now MUCH better thx to our new formations...

will it stop the Ai being so predictable in battle, as it seems to just repeat itself, when i play as RK if i put a Fort in a strategic place, the ai just keeps attacking over and over again. if i load the fort with kings archers and kings spearmen, i can beat them off everytime, with little or no casualties.

it would be nice if the AI was to find another way round.

Also will there be any extra settlements in the new version?

Total War Veteran

No new settlements, but there are some VERY interesting changes in the strat-map, believe me.

If you're referring to campaign AI, well that's extremely hardcoded and difficult to manipulate; but rest assured we're trying hard.

The battlefield AI has definitely improved. You'll see what I mean from the first battle against against a nice big stack. The difference is there also with small stacks but it just becomes plain to see when the numbers get big. I think you will find it more than satisfactory.

Ehm, you're loading your fort with two of the best units in game, what exactly did you expect, to lose? But I think you may find it harder to produce *that* many troops as RK in 2.0, unless you manage your economy properly. Campaign balance is being tested as we speak (well not exactly since I'm typing atm) and we intend that it is on par with the level of unit balance.

I hope you guys make the map bigger... a large WarMap scale would be a huge improvement methinks. Middle Earth feels a bit cramped in a vanilla-scale map...

2.0 will not be a map-expansion package. Sorry to dissapoint you, but the team has always prefered quality over quantity and a 100% finshed and balanced map of smaller size over a 50% finished map of a bigger size.

ljuboja's Avatar Civis

in the book, there was an elven settlement started by legolas in ithilien, it'll be neat to put it in, under the RK, and u could recruit elven units, from that place only, the same could apply to aglarond