His winged helm mirrored the armour,
    That about him so majestically fit.
    And his horse was a ghost in the darkness
    As onward and eastward they flit.

At last the great Captain of Gondor
    Engaged the foul Easterling horde
    But on so doing he realised
    He had quite forgotten his sword!

Thus ended the life of this great (though somewhat absent-minded) hero. I think we should include it - the Lay of Palantír otherwise known as The Forgotten Sword.

"One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Default Re: Ideas thread?

Hahaha, nice!

Boosh's Avatar Libertus

Palantir's song is basically what I mean. Someone may have done something stupid, something funny, something heroic, etc... and therefore someone put it to song. "Sung about in Songs" means that. Because songs are passed around and known by many throughout Middle Earth, being sung about in songs, bad or good, builds up the influence of the people they are about.

What helps make the mystique of Strider more than the phrase "The crownless again shall be king?"
    -Boosh

Tiberius Brutus's Avatar Foederatus

I get you now...It's a good idea I guess! Pretty original too...(*Winks and points to the "Tale of Barahir"*)

If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind,
    then what is an empty desk?
    Einstein

Libertus

You know ive noticed that Wains seem to move absurdly fast... Wains i was under the assumption were just wagons pulled by horses. These particular wains are probably filled with easterling women and children and all the tribe's material goods, i cant see them keeping pace with a troop of Gondorian cavalry, or turning on a dime as they seem to do.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

That's a good point. I think the chariot animation is global though - if we can get time to make a slower one then it is definitely something to consider.

Libertus

On the map i was wondering why there isnt a town for Erech? I thought there was a hamlet or something a few miles down the road. If this is true i think an Erech town should be placed near the stone and the village of Tarnost should be moved down into Belfalas proper... yeah i know im just getting nit-picky now, but i just got out of class and need somewhere to vent!
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I know of no reference to settlements in or around Erech, though I maybe need educating. I am not sure of Tarnost's location (which is referenced I believe) but have placed it as karen wynn fonstad has at the northern edge of the hills of the same name.

As Erech exists as a wonder it might be too much to have a settlement so name as well anyway.

Libertus

"Lights went out in house and hamlet as they came, and doors were shut, and folk that were afield cried in terror and ran wild like hunted deer. Ever there rose the same cry in the gathering night: 'The King of the Dead! The King of the Dead is upon us!'
    Bells were ringing far below and all men fled before the face of Aragorn;"
    -The Passing of the Grey Company

Most maps of Middle Earth have Erech as a place, but it could either mark where the stone is, but it could also mark where some village is. I personally think there is a village or something near the stone, probably on the northwest side of it near to the base of the mountains.

Now as for Tarnost i cant find it on any map, but there doesn't seem to be any towns in Belfalas. But it was always mentioned as the greatest of Gondor's fiefs so there have to be more towns than just Dol Amroth. I was thinking that Belfalas should be split into two with Dol Amroth on one side and Tarnost somewhere on the eastern shore.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Yes, there are such words in the coming to and the coming from Erech - and no doubt many hamlets (as it says) scattered about - but there is no evidence for a specific settlement or one called called Erech or even one near enough to Erech to be so called. Indeed, the place (the Hill) seems to have been left quite alone for fear of what had happened there.

This may have entirely changed in the Fourth Age of course, but I can see no real need to have a settlement there and I think it would detract from the singularity (and mystery) of the Stone itself.

Libertus

I understand that no one lives anywhere near the hill of Erech. However Blackroot bowmen currently come from the township of Calembel, which is clearly in Lamedon. There is no settlement along the entire River Morthond. The river valley is obviously heavily populated all one needs to do is pick a place far enough away from the Hill you dont even have to call it Erech, in fact it would probably be better if you didnt.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

Could you make the horses more robust? I just think vanilla's are small and weak, they are apropriate to the roman era but not to a medievalish world like middle-earth.

can you bulding a <<realistic>> towns with RTW engine? (example minas tirith)

The Fourth Age has not modded battlemap buildings as this is outside of our time and resources. The public are quite welcome to submit work however or request approval of submods.

woops sorry ignore this i was wrong.
    Last edited by Ugluk; January 18, 2007 at 10:35 AM.

green tea's Avatar Ducenarius

Yes I know you said in the second post not to ask about new factions. But would it be possible to add some orc-rebels? Perhaps near the misty mountains, in the east. Then Rohan would have some worthy enemies to charge into, and with the AI controlling Dunland, I have so far seen no orcs in battle.

hurry up and make teh "unique setlements" unique on the battlemap too!

i cant stand seeing helms deep on the campaign map before battle then in the battle its just a normal settlement like any other of rohan!

That is beyond our resources to do at the moment. Best thing is for you to put in the time learning how to do it, getting the necessary software and experimenting and getting back to us in several months when you are proficient.

It ain't gonna happen unless players support the mod with actual skills rather than moaning about what is not done. We cannot perform what is outside our own skills, resources and time to complete.

Ive seen it in another topic but I cant remember where, so posting it here wouldnt seem to bad either
    Isnt there a way to make Rohan and RK "better friends"? either
    -i just ask for map info exchange somewhere in round 1 or 2 and they break the alliance for that reason or
    -i invade Dunland, the RK fools decide to become ally with Dunland so my sieges get auto-broken off because Dunl. becomes neutral, and when I attack again RK chooses the Dunland side...

I know that there has to be some war gondor/rohan some time but not in round 5 or so, its too stupid and unbelievable that RK will rather be friends with those Dunl. than with me

I know this is not your fault so sorry for all the words like "dumb"

but would it be possible to have them have an alliance like the Roman factions in RTW? that cant be broken unless certain conditions are triggered. But I guess that would be hard to code
    Or that the official alignment plays a role in friendlyness in diplomacy... making Men ot. West stand closer to eachother, and the other ones against them

edit: and of course its a great mod
    Maybe the dwarves can be some kind of very rare mercenary unit, that only can be trained at one place and only appears very seldomly? Same for mumakils... it kinda sucks when autoresolve decides to half your dwarf population
    Last edited by Woestelingh; May 01, 2007 at 11:57 AM.

All these matters have indeed been discussed - at our forums and elsewhere. You can vist them by following the link in my sig.