Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ideas thread?

Tiberius Brutus's Avatar Foederatus

Default Ideas thread?

I was just playing a bit FA:CI, and I though of some "improvements" and "suggestions" I had in mind for this mod.

What about making this tread a "brain-storming" tread for all the people playing this mod and wishing to give the mod team suggestions and ideas?

It would be best if the mod team deems this appropriate or not, as I am but a newcomer to this forum. So I leave it up to you gentlemen (and possibly ladies) if you want to hear, not only mine, but hopefully also the other players suggestion's regarding this excellent mod!

Tiberius/Terje
    Last edited by Amroth; November 10, 2006 at 09:20 AM.

If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind,
    then what is an empty desk?
    Einstein

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: Ideas tread?

Tiberius,

That would be a great idea and it certainly has our blessing. Please note that this would be for suggestions and improvements not major expansions of content or form (No "can we have Orcs in it?" please! ) which would better suit a new release rather than a (relatively small) patch to the existing release.

Unit and campaign-balance issues would be a good example of areas attention could be focused on, for example.

Again, thanks for your interest and willingness to help improve the Corsair Invasion.

MasterOfNone,
    Coding Manager/Build Co-ordinator.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Default Re: Ideas thread?

I've just noticed one thing, but I don't know if it's possible to do or not...The buttons in the battle interface, they're always the gondorian theme it seems (White three for guard mode, etc...).

Is it possible to make unique buttons for every faction? Like a Umbar Guard helmet for the guard mode pershaps when you play with Haradrim?

And also, the units with the "Royal Banner Inspires Nearby Units" ability, all have the legionairy eagle on top of their banners on the battlefield. Maybe this could be changed to a more fitting LotR-themed object? Like a white three for RK, A horse for Rohan, etc...
    Last edited by Tiberius Brutus; November 10, 2006 at 12:02 PM.

Einstein

Rome Total War had the same event tiles for each culture - it is possible to have a distinction but its takes a lot of time to individualize everything. As for the Reunited Kingdom theme - the tiles are culture-specific and all of our Mannish factions share cultures with the exception of Harad. So the RK images will need changing eventually anyway.

The 'Royal Banner' is global I believe. One model/texture must fit all! We have thought about it but it has not been implemented yet. Suggestions and submissions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone
    Rome Total War had the same event tiles for each culture - it is possible to have a distinction but its takes a lot of time to individualize everything. As for the Reunited Kingdom theme - the tiles are culture-specific and all of our Mannish factions share cultures with the exception of Harad. So the RK images will need changing eventually anyway.

The 'Royal Banner' is global I believe. One model/texture must fit all! We have thought about it but it has not been implemented yet. Suggestions and submissions welcome.

Is not the banner defined in cultures inthe FE image?, i forget which one, which means that each culture can have a different banner, and just requires making them and pasting them in.

Thoughts then.

Structered faction mil devolpment along divergent lines. Quality v quantity.

RK, small sized settlements produce small unit sizes, when a settlement reaches larger size, the size of unity increases by 50%. RK mil grows at stage 4 of 5 settlement size, Harad at 2 to give numbers to Harad over the RK, this gives a mass over quality approach to wageing war, but would require a bit of refiddle with RK unit stats, but would be worth while i believe, ive done part of it already, and like the visual look of being outnumbered but able to out fight them non the less.

Hanny,

it is not the banner (which is of course changeable) but the pole/eagle cas and texture which I believe is global. I'm willing to be proved wrong, but I need proof

I like the idea you suggest - and have read it somewhere else recently but had forgotten about it - but I fear that it would take some time to change add in the units, edit the tech trees/zor etc. However, if it does indeed make things much better (as I suspect it does), I will look into testing if I can get the time. It will consider some time to exactly how it would work.

Thx. Good one!

CaptainCernick's Avatar Trouvère
    In between Holland, Germany, France aaand... Luxemburg!

Make the White Company a primarily ranged unit with good melee capability instead of a melee unit with ranged capabilities (think: Roman legionaries)
    Now, if you assign them a target to shoot at, they'll fire one salvo and then charge, I'd prefer the normal click for ranged combat and alt-click for melee.
    Just a thought...

Siggy pic courtesy of the uncomparably artistic Atterdag.
    Tacticalwithdrawal
    is my patron.

I agree...They're archers after all

Einstein

Default split faction reunited kingdom

In my opinion split faction reunited kingdom to Gondor and Dol Amroth ( they have locked allies) it is good idea. Reunited Kingdom is so easy to play

Creating new factions is not an option...it would delay us too much. We opted for "subcultures" some time ago when we realised we were just not going to ever get it finished if we tried such an idealistic approach.

RK is much harder to win with in patch 1.2 btw

Libertus

I would like to see more mercenaries in general, a couple suggestions could be Woses (a small company of bowmen), and Riders of the Mark recruitable in Anorien.

Another thing id like to see is for individual towns to have their own troop styles removing options for Gondorian Hillmen and Militia. Like Anfalas produces Coastal Warriors, Lamdon towns produce Lamdon hillmen and Blackroot bowmen, Lossarch produces Axemen, Mordor pumps out Blackland swordsmen that sort of thing. I think it would add a little diversity to RK armies.

I also think that CI should go over to the four turns a year system. It just seems like this war starts in 227 FA (or something) and im currently in 256 FA and not done yet. That just seems like too long of a time to beat off a Corsair invasion, especially when most of their serious attacks seem to only last a year or two then fade back into raids, or relative peace.

I would like to see more storms at sea, with all the naval activity in CI it seems like more ships would be lost that way.

I don't really like the idea of the Ruins of Osgiliath Wonder conveying so many benefits to the RK. Its a ruin, wonderful and sad sure, but geez.

There should be some ancillaries for Merchant of Dale, Merchant of Erebor, Craftsmen of the Glittering Caves ect. ect. ive posted about this before.

Well that's all i can think of
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Mercs will certainly be added to, but the need is to make them realistic. The Woses, for example, would not fight for certain factions/races and as mercs are universally recruitable we cannot, in the spirit of Tolkien, have them as such. There will also, for the same reason, be no Elven or Dwarven mercs. Mercs will be ostensibly neutral Mannish units, although they will generally be bribeable by the faction to which they are most closely akin or from which they originate.

There are other ways to deal with these things - which you will see featured in the game.

Gondorian Hillmen have been deglobalised (it was silly having them in Mordor for example) in 1.1. These "revolt units" (also used as levies for RK) aim to attach to the Regional Lore of the area to make each distinct although we can only go so far due to other areas of the game which must receive some priority. HRUs (Hidden-Resource Units) are used, especially for RK, and I feel they are quite preponderant enough for now.

As for Storms et. al. I must admit we have not attended to this area of the Mod yet and if you keep an eye out you might occasionally see a Flood in the Sea!

As for the ancs you mention - we must leave some for the rest of the Mod But all good ideas and no doubt in our Anc coder's lists already

Fourth Age is script free and I personally prefer to keep it that way. We may require one of necessity and we may look at the 4ypt script but it is not a priority. In reality, the whole CI war may have been over in less than a year - so it makes little difference.

I will review the Osgiliath Wonder's effects; you may well be right!

Libertus

Ok maybe not Wose mercenary units, but they were often used as scouts and trackers in the first age and i think a Wose anc. could work nicely. I understand why Elves wouldn't be mercs, but I think Dwarves certainly could. There are more Dwarves in the world other than Durin's folk, who would probably be willing to sell their axes to the highest bidder.

Also while on the subject of Dwarves I think you could have a Erebor caravan building option for the RK. Something similar to trade caravans that the Haradrim get.

I remember when i first played Rome: Total Realism i used to lose half my fleets to storms. It was great.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by HBI View Post
    I remember when i first played Rome: Total Realism i used to lose half my fleets to storms. It was great.
    Wow, you're the first guy I've seen who calls losing many men while getting no kills on the way "great"!

Quote Originally Posted by HBI View Post
    i think a Wose anc. could work nicely.
    Way ahead of you

Placed some bandits armies (with dunland units) on the west edge of map. Optional placed there Harad diplomat to atempt bribe this units.

I like the merc idea...

And also the regional troops. It would be great to have very diverse armies...Almost like in the books when Gondor gathers it's host before the battle of Pelennor...

Einstein

Boosh's Avatar Libertus

An idea that popped into my head:

-Trait/ancillary/etc... - Sung about in songs (+1 influence) For example, Bilbo's verses about "Strider," or the poems about the great victories. Having your own songs would indeed have people hold reverence for you.
    -Boosh

Well, if I have understood you right...You are referring to what happened in the books?

If you are, it wouldn't make much sense to impart this in a campaign that is dated to 300 years after the action in the books would it as these characters won't be alive...(Except for some elves like Thranduil and such... )
    Last edited by Tiberius Brutus; November 25, 2006 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Added argument

Einstein

I like it (in fact I am adding it). One wouldn't have to be one of the heroes of old to have a song.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast