Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's Play Viking Forefathers

Default Let's Play Viking Forefathers

Hi all,

In our brand new Lets play Video Lionheart joins James ”Dogbert” Given in an attempt to battle and loot his way through the Total War: ATTILA Viking Forefathers Culture Pack.

Playing as the Jutes, in this extended Let’s Play, Lionheart starts in the distant north and drives his forces south to wage war against the Angles. Over 12 turns of the campaign we see the Jutes grow their riches through looting and for the first time players will get a glimpse of a night battle in Total War: ATTILA.

Grab bevvy and sit back, this is a long one.

Joey
    The formal disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

For solutions thread - http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...support-forums
    To post a technical issue - http://forums.totalwar.com/forumdisp...-Support-Forum

Feel free to PM me at any time if you wish to discuss any issues or pass on feedback- If you are rude I will not respond.

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Let's Play Viking Forefathers

Last edited by GussieFinkNottle; January 29, 2015 at 08:34 AM.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Nordic factions looks very good aesthetically and the Angle village looked absolutely stunning. Sadly there was not a lot of the unique Nordic units in this, just basic levy units. I'd like to see some Huscarls and some more elite axemen and berserks in action. Spear levy I've seen before

Also the first thing I'll do upon buying this game is to mod the Jute king to start with a Royal Huscarl unit rather than a generic Warchief unit.
    Last edited by Påsan; January 29, 2015 at 08:38 AM. Reason: merged

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Nordic factions looks very good aesthetically and the Angle village looked absolutely stunning. Sadly there was not a lot of the unique Nordic units in this, just basic levy units. I'd like to see some Huscarls and some more elite axemen and berserks in action. Spear levy I've seen before
    I agree, the village was absolutely stunning. I would have liked to have seen the elite units as well. I guess we'll have to buy the game to find out how those work won't we? Marketing 101
    Last edited by Finlander; January 29, 2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Off-Topic moved to Complaint thread
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Vikings are one of my favourite factions to play with... I think i'll pre-order the game...
    And about the complaints: Hope CA have learned from past mistakes at the launch of a game....

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Several posts moved to Official Complaint Thread. Please keep the discussion on topic.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

yep it is tempting just to get attilla for the viking forefathers and the saxons being part of my blood! at least the character screens and ui seem better. still not convinced re the perf/the raze feature/siege a.i.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    yep it is tempting just to get attilla for the viking forefathers and the saxons being part of my blood! at least the character screens and ui seem better. still not convinced re the perf/the raze feature/siege a.i.
    I totally plan on playing with the Jutes)
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Nice to see that the night-time spotlights are gone, now the only unit illumination is from the standard bearer carrying a torch. (49:10)
    Would be cool to have a few other men carrying torches though they'd have to work out how to not have that interfere with animations.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

• Still no Guard Mode.
    • "Minor" cities still don't have walls?
    • Pointless auto resolve "options" that make the player guess.
    • The terrible Authority, Cunning, Zeal trio are still in the game and still apply to cities. How are you supposed to defend each city against three types of attacks?
    • Night battles still don't look great. Units needs to carry a lot more torches and the light they give off needs to be more defined.
    • Ransom and Release shouldn't be combined.
    • Ransom and Release and Kill Captives look like pointless options compared to Take on Warriors.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by GussieFinkNottle View Post
    Nice to see that the night-time spotlights are gone, now the only unit illumination is from the standard bearer carrying a torch. (49:10)
    Would be cool to have a few other men carrying torches though they'd have to work out how to not have that interfere with animations.
    Oh they got rid of the spotlights? Maybe they go back and get rid of it in Rome 2 since its one of the main reasons I quit playing R2 3 months ago. I had managed to get mods to fix insta-ship armies and even remove torches (although it was not perfect), but then having a night battle and seeing those searchlights was just one extra-mod-to-fix-game-to-find too much.

To be honest it should never have been in at all, especially the vaunted EE version. It`s a total immersion killer.

Oh, and if Ca think I`m going to buy Attilla because of this change, no it ain`t happening just for that. So we are clear.

Quote Originally Posted by blackberryalpha View Post
    On the contrary it was pointless on Rome II when you are asked to take a decision when you already know the exact outcome.
    Totally agree with other points .

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Aside from the ridiculousness of the "proto-Viking" factions and the fact that they exist solely as a pre-order bribe, I might be tempted to purchase Attila if the combat looked better. But since the combat doesn't look better in any way and is dominated now by fire™effects and running about (as Modestus puts it) I think I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by blackberryalpha View Post
    On the contrary it was pointless on Rome II when you are asked to take a decision when you already know the exact outcome.
    Totally agree with other points .

on 34':another disturbing blobbing stupid battle and background music (and horns) from Shogun 2

Default Re: The new Viking Forefathers Lets Play.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugotorix View Post
    Nonsense. They weren't at war and they were campaigning against the Burgundians. As anyone I can see the advantage of taking someone off guard seeing as I've been keeled like ten times in Rome II. The way EE plays this will be almost impossible with a 3/4 stack as the game progresses due to garrisons. This is the best video I've seen for Attila yet. I almost feel spoiled. Of course I'll be damned if I play as any three of these factions to begin with.
    Didn't realize that... But the battle A.I. in at least one of the battles could not hold formation. They marched forward, then bunched up into a big orgy. I just find it ridiculous that after this many iterations they still haven't fixed the fundamental problems in this series.

Default Re: The new Viking Forefathers Lets Play.

And why need hold formations? They are barbarians, fighting mostly mass horde attack .

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Interesting Improvements. My only problem is the proper mass implementation for individual soldiers, and probably the "still broken siege battle AI". I just installed RTW EE and still having pathfinding problems with the AI and myself when using siege towers.

On the minor side. Remove those damn torches for the gates and give them to the units for night battles. Seriously? One torch holder per unit? You guys got to do better than that if you're trying to show off your night battles on the video above.
    Last edited by Garensterz; January 29, 2015 at 12:33 PM.

I hope u guys planned more part from this Jutes campaign!

I liked it... thought the cities/villages looked absolute worth the buy.

shogon's Avatar Civis

Looks like we won't have spotlights for night battles, but the fighting still looks the same as Rome 2 which is what I'd expect. Units still blob in situations (I guess that's a barbarian thing), collision between opposing units is still meh, but the fire from arrows and torches looks much better over Rome 2.
    40%
    40%
    40%
    40%
    "
    It's a real upgrade, and we're not even halfway to alpha."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast