Thread: Corsair Invasion as Provincial Campaign?

Default Corsair Invasion as Provincial Campaign?

Greetings to everybody on this forum, and their wonderful mod!

I've just recently been able to re-install the Rome 1 Triad, and I've sent weeks since discovering the Fourth Age that was(n't). It's definitely been a trip I can enjoy. But I had a question.

With the release of The New Shadow and now especially with the Domain of Man, the mod has obviously widened its' scope vastly and wonderfully so. But for those who love quick, smaller campaigns do you think it would be possible/desirable to adapt the Corsair Invasion campaign as a Provincial (/secondary) one? It is no longer the main attraction by any means, but it struck me as possibly being interesting.

Regards, and my apologies for the bother.

Default Re: Corsair Invasion as Provincial Campaign?

Thanks for the kind words.

An adaptation of CI would require a good deal of work if we were to implement all (or even some) of the features present in DoM. I know such a thing is not being planned - not anytime soon, at least.

I guess the possibility is there down the road, though I certainly can't speak for the team on that. I'd personally love to see such a thing myself, for what it's worth (I love small-scale campaigns too) - but then I wouldn't be the one doing the hard work.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Arent provincial campaigns a Med 2 thing? I dont think RTW can even do that.

Quote Originally Posted by webba84 View Post
    Arent provincial campaigns a Med 2 thing? I dont think RTW can even do that.
    Believe me, they can. I have a whole bunch of provincial campaigns for vanilla BI (Romano-British, ERE with the sassnids at the gates, and Roman Rebels come to mind). I also remember playing a big but unfortunately invasive Rome 1 mod about Antiochus III. So I know it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Thanks for the kind words.
    It is only the truth.

An adaptation of CI would require a good deal of work if we were to implement all (or even some) of the features present in DoM. I know such a thing is not being planned - not anytime soon, at least.
    I can understand on some level, but I'd be interested in the specifics. Taking the pre-existing map and slapping the DoM/TNS factions on the appropriate provinces would be a major step itself towards a raw version mostly using pre-existing material.

Granted, I don't mean to say it would be easy or quick to do that just because of it, or that it would be all that would be needed (far from it), but it seems like something.

I guess the possibility is there down the road, though I certainly can't speak for the team on that.
    Of course, I understand. After all, first thing's first. And this would be way down the road.

I'd personally love to see such a thing myself, for what it's worth (I love small-scale campaigns too) - but then I wouldn't be the one doing the hard work.
    Glad to hear on the former, and I understand. It'd be a long road. Still, I think features like that would add even more meat onto an already amazing mod. And beyond CI I think there are others that would fit.

Like maybe one centering on the outbreak of the Civil War in the RK, between the Loyalists/RK and Rohan vs. Adunabar?

Anyway, just thoughts.
    Last edited by Turtler; January 30, 2015 at 01:41 PM.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Yes, they are possible - they have their own campaign files, but still draw on the rest of the data folder and so it would be far from the case of just inserting the old iterations of the mod into a separate folder. They would, alas, be too much work. But you can still have it as a separate mod...
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Ah yes, I get confused between Med 2 and RTW too easily these days.

If someone else were to make such a campaign for DoM, its the sort of thing we would love to include, but its a bit much work for (the four of) us to handle right now. Gotta finish the actual mod first!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Yes, they are possible - they have their own campaign files, but still draw on the rest of the data folder and so it would be far from the case of just inserting the old iterations of the mod into a separate folder.
    I'm not surprised. I figured it would be a bear to tackle and I doubted that you could just jam the old information (especially the faction stuff) into the new versions and hoped it would work. That being said, since CI had its' own (smaller) map my (admittedly uneducated gut feeling) is that either reusing that map or cropping the new one to focus on the area in question and slapping the DoM or TNS factions there would be a workable "rough draft" without having the work of remaking everything from scratch.

I'm not naive enough to think doing even that would be a walk in the park (I know this team would've done it ages ago if it was), or that would be all that'd be needed to get a CI campaign for the new versions. But (again, my uneducated guess...) it seems like it'd be significantly easier than building from scratch, and even if it is crude it might serve as a draft.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    They would, alas, be too much work. But you can still have it as a separate mod...
    I understand. I know it's well down the list of priorities and understandably so (I'm salivating as much for DoM as anybody). But I figure you should know- if by chance the opportunity ever does open up on the task list- at least one fan is also interested.

Quote Originally Posted by webba84 View Post
    If someone else were to make such a campaign for DoM, its the sort of thing we would love to include, but its a bit much work for (the four of) us to handle right now. Gotta finish the actual mod first!
    Of course.

I'm not sure about the finer details of how one would make a campaign like that for DoM or TNS (in case the noob's guessing didn't make it obvious enough...), but I'm sure it can be.

You guys take care of what you need to take care of. Don't worry about this now, we're more than grateful enough for the mod as it is. I just figured that it would be worth tossing out here to see what popped up, and if anybody else (especially anybody with more free time than you and more knowledge than I) might be interested.
    Last edited by Turtler; January 30, 2015 at 02:07 PM.