Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: [New experimental stuff]More challenging, BAI friendly battles - 13.07.2015 update

Zonac's Avatar Miles

Default Re: [Experimental] More challenging, BAI friendly battles - 30.01.2015

ctrl + m It would be awesome if replenishment would be gone and instead of it all unit do auto merge after each battle. (should also affect the AI of course ). But I do not know where you can change something that forces you and the AI to automerge units. Maybe we should ask CA to answer this question?
    I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.
    Alexander the Great

Krixux's Avatar Ordinarius

I have this idea that "threat detection" and "threat response" has to do with BAI more than stats alone

1st
    at one point the AI unit will "detect" your/our units but (perhaps) is limited by his "area" of detection
    hence it doesn't perceive player's (far) flank or reserve as an immediate threat
    thus it easy for us to envelop and kill

there has to be a "stat" that regulate this value= triple it (!)

2nd
    "threat response" and/or "threat priority"

ex now:
    AI cav is attacking my flank ignoring my flank reserve

solution
    AI spear unit (high) priority (priorities) = player Cav 1st, and all other 2nd (much lower priority)
    AI missiles unit priority = missiles 1st, elite 2nd, Cav 3rd , etc (further study of better use for AI missiles units...)
    AI heavy sword priority = player sword inf 1st , and really low all other
    AI Cav priority = player missiles (at max priority) then sword , elite etc,
    AI Cav lowest priority = player spears...

this also has to be found as a "stat" somewhere...(I hope)

I'll be looking for this on my own , but perhaps (if it is something ) more eyes are much much better (lol)

So, what you guys think ?

edit:

found:
    -land_units_tables

spot_dist_tree
    spot_dist_scrub
    visibility_spotting_range_max
    ?
    Last edited by Krixux; February 01, 2015 at 10:30 AM.
    D I V I D E - ET - I M P E R A

& A PROPER EMPIRE: TERRA INCOGNITA .... A P E - T I
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Perhaps, as some wit remarked, the best proof that there is Intelligent Life in Outer Space is the fact it hasn't come here. Well, it can't hide forever - one day we will overhear it."

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Even when you play on closer deployment mod where both armies see eachother from the start AI is not any better.

I have no idea how AI is calculation those threat stuff, but if it would be in the files I am almost sure that Gunny/Magnar/Jam would have found it long time ago.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Even when you play on closer deployment mod where both armies see eachother from the start AI is not any better.

I have no idea how AI is calculation those threat stuff, but if it would be in the files I am almost sure that Gunny/Magnar/Jam would have found it long time ago.
    I just started to triple the values for:

"spot_dist_tree"
    "spot_dist_scrub"
    i'll see how it goes
    (it will take awhile lol 1500 units ??)

edit:

I kind of believe that:
    visibility_spotting _range _minimum

represent the distance of nearest threat

the values in DeI are identical for those in data_rome2
    land_units_tables in DeI has a ton of other changes , but not this

ex
    triarii (both DeI and data_rome2:
    visibility_spotting _range _minimum = 40
    (max = 1500)
    tree =40
    scrub = 100
    where 40 = immediate threat (imo ???)

since those values are the same ( thus untouched) in DeI
    i'll chance them (x3) and see how it goes...
    Last edited by Krixux; February 01, 2015 at 10:49 AM.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Perhaps, as some wit remarked, the best proof that there is Intelligent Life in Outer Space is the fact it hasn't come here. Well, it can't hide forever - one day we will overhear it."

Quote Originally Posted by krunsh View Post
    Wait, you mean that it IS possible to merge units in Rome 2?

How?!
    select both units and "ctrl + m". This feature has been present from release date

It has been present since Rome 1 in all total war games! )

Quote Originally Posted by rjacko10 View Post
    select both units and "ctrl + m". This feature has been present from release date
    Cool, but is there any UI element to do it.. Or do you simply need some forum knowledge of the hotkeys? Also can you do it with Garrison troops? I hate these fights with a bunch of new garrison with no more than 50 soldiers each.

Probably not eh?

Cool, but is there any UI element to do it.. Or do you simply need some forum knowledge of the hotkeys? Also can you do it with Garrison troops? I hate these fights with a bunch of new garrison with no more than 50 soldiers each.

Probably not eh?
    I think it's stated in the controls section in the menu. Can't select garrison units so can't merge unfortunately.. I hate those tiny worthless units taking up so much space on the battle screen!

I think it would be great if instead of dying below 45%. Units with less than 45% manpower would not show up in battle until they have regained enough strength, and would die along with the army if it is defeated. Probably cannot be done though.

Also, do people take the time to pursue and destroy routed units after a fight? It kinda breaks the balance since AI does not... But at the same time, pursuing a weak AI army all over the campaign map is so annoying. I guess the whole dying at below 45% might alleviate this pain a little, and promote the use of AoR units.

Quote Originally Posted by Krixux View Post
    I just started to triple the values for:

"spot_dist_tree"
    "spot_dist_scrub"
    i'll see how it goes
    (it will take awhile lol 1500 units ??)

edit:

I kind of believe that:

represent the distance of nearest threat

the values in DeI are identical for those in data_rome2
    land_units_tables in DeI has a ton of other changes , but not this

ex
    triarii (both DeI and data_rome2:
    visibility_spotting _range _minimum = 40
    (max = 1500)
    tree =40
    scrub = 100
    where 40 = immediate threat (imo ???)

since those values are the same ( thus untouched) in DeI
    i'll chance them (x3) and see how it goes...
    @KAM2150

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    in Rome_land_units

I changed all units:

to 120

and
    tree = 100
    scrub = 150

played custom battle
    rome vs rome
    with both
    2 equites_late_allaied
    3 accensi
    4 hastatii (those not modded thus)

the AI reacted from afar countering my flanking maneuvers (!)
    with one accensi and one socii equites (!)
    the AI hastatii (un changed) engaged my front line = all hastatii engaged (predictable since they were not changed)

My cav couldn't flank (!!!) due to AI Cav countering my every move !

KAM
    change the values

visibility_spotting _range _minimum = 100
    tree = 100
    scrub = 150

and test for your self
    (or give more 200/ 200/ 300) ?

I plan giving greater values myself
    there is really something here !!!!
    Last edited by Krixux; February 02, 2015 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krixux View Post
    there is really something here !!!!
    Nice. Now hoping no one comes up saying ''tried this, it breaks THIS, THIS AND THIS!..''

Either way, thanks a bunch for spending time on this! Does it cause the AI to do less of the ''Three units charging the same hoplite squad and all getting tired while not benefiting from the number due to being all jammed up togheter'' ?

MagicCuboid's Avatar Biarchus

Wow Krixux, am I witnessing a massive shift here? I wish I was available today to try these values myself, but rest assured I will try it out tomorrow and give a report! +rep for new ideas
    "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once." - Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Krixux - nice work. Does these values mean hiding in scrub and forests no longer work?

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

hmmm I tried restarting a game with Arveni but I don't seem to see the 45% disband effect.

(granted it's been a tough as hell campaign as I already lost as many generals as I've taken settlements heh.)
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    hmmm I tried restarting a game with Arveni but I don't seem to see the 45% disband effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritterlichvon86 View Post
    Remember that the 45% disbanding only refers to the event of a lost battle. The victor has a much more timid rate.

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

I kindda fear that this will remove the effect of troops hiding meaning that many units will lose their advantage. Iberian troops with their guerilla deployment and awesome hiding skills will be useless if the AI is able to spot them from far away being able to counter . That being said I ofc hope that this is not the case and that the changes made by Krixux will show an AI being better at countering our flanking manouvers when they should be countered and not counter regular well set and sprung in battle ambushes

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    Iberian troops with their guerilla deployment and awesome hiding skills will be useless if the AI is able to spot them from far away being able to counter
    Their might a special "hiding" variable that can be buffed to negate the increased spotting range..

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Could someone make a video or something about that spotting rage? Because on closer deployment mods where units stat pretty much next to eachother it did not change how AI uses his units eventhough all my units are visible to his.

Anyway, I won't be able to mod or even play Rome 2 until Wednesday
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Nice. Now hoping no one comes up saying ''tried this, it breaks THIS, THIS AND THIS!..''

Either way, thanks a bunch for spending time on this! Does it cause the AI to do less of the ''Three units charging the same hoplite squad and all getting tired while not benefiting from the number due to being all jammed up togheter'' ?
    I will try this tomorrow and I will break this.

Krixux, can you upload a pack with the changes?

Anyway, if this truely brings advantages to how effectively the AI reacts (of what the chance is high in its current state), then this would be awesome. But if it nerfs unit stealth / forests / etc., then I assume it would be something you could put into a submod only. Anyway. Really interested.
    Last edited by Ritterlichvon86; February 01, 2015 at 05:23 PM.

Anyway the hiding is completely under-powered as is, especially against automatic-all-seeing AI (not so in multiplayer).

If we wanted to make hiding really important, we would need to buff hiding by decreasing spotting distance so that hidden units in forests/scrubs can be seen only if you're basically walking on their damned toes. + some League of Legends invisibility system and stealth would be more natural and impactful.

Because its not impactful today, I'm perfectly okay to nerf hiding capacity if it means improved AI combat.