Thread: Bloody Evil AI Stacks

Miles

Default Bloody Evil AI Stacks

Why do Beastmen and Orcs repeatedly spawn all over the map? Why is it always two full stacks? Why do they always appear just one round away from the city they're supposed to attack? I understand it's supposed to be a hard time for the Imperials, but this is silly. Also city defense spawn scripts need to die. Guess I'll just use auto_win.
    Last edited by Campylobacter jejuni; January 28, 2015 at 10:10 AM.

Hilldric's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Bloody Evil AI Stacks

Because else it's way too easy. The AI is really terrible, and if the scripts weren't there, you'd be able to win the game way too easily.
    I guess you can always remove the scripts though.

Artifex

Only the mods developers can really answer that question. But spawn scripts are not the only way to achieve a challenging game. Call of Warhammer is heavily scripted, quite possibly the most of Medieval 2 mods, which goes together with the very story-like gameplay. My guess is that beastmen and orcs are supposed to be depicted as a worldwide pest that appears everywhere springing from multiple sources, rather than a nation in one place, which is more or less their role in Warhammer lore.

Ridiculous money bonuses does make the ai bring forth challenging amounts of stacks eventually too but it does take time for it to build up.

My best results have been achieved by ditching almost all scripts, having Grimgor and chaos undivided (at Ziochenk) appear around round 15, raising pillaging bonuses and multiplying corruption times ten. Especially chaos has a tough time and you have to choose which cities to hold as bases for pillaging expeditions, basically. I definitely vote for corruption as the easiest way to make the game progressively harder as your territory grows.
    Last edited by Maltacus; January 28, 2015 at 04:42 PM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Senator

Because else it's way too easy. The AI is really terrible, and if the scripts weren't there, you'd be able to win the game way too easily.
    There is a difference between spaming stacks and making the game hard,it just get's tedious.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Check the sand-box submod, or you could make the scripts less heavy to your liking.

flota's Avatar Tiro

how do I modify or eliminate the scripts?

I tried the sandbox mod, but it broke my game, I couldnt start a campaing after placing the files, Im supposed to drop them in the mod folder right?
    Imposible is Nothing.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

There is actually an updated version if you look at the back of the thread that supposedly fixes the looping start issue.

I don't know how it is in the 1.6 beta, but i think you play 1.5 so same version as me.

The stacks MUST stay - if u are a idiot who thinks that after loosing ONE OR TWO FREAKING cities game sucks and mod is too hard...then go play other mods or RTW II.
    Warhammer is grim, warhammer is dark - in the Warhammer the dwarfs/elves or the Imperials must stand their ground, like mine battle last night - 400 dwarves did protect their hold in gray mountains agains freaking 6000 night goblins - they did menage to slay more than 4000 but were slughted at final stand, did i cried ? no i did gather armies from other holds and recounquer it.

Scripts are unique for Cow or Rage of dark gods (old users still name it cow ) they make the game uniqiue, becuse if AI woud be left alone chaos woud stay in north and their armies woud be worthless.
    All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan uvvas.

Vette's Avatar Civis

Totaly agree with Klierowski.You realy need to keep playing.After some time you will know exactly when,which army and stack composition of all the scripted stacks.I did not like scripted stacks in the begining my self but now when I know them all hehe,they realy add up to whole fealing of being on brink.You will also become very proficient in scripted stack battles.Loosing less and less men,while killing more and more.
    As I said you just need to keep playing and scripted stacks will "kilck" for you sooner or later...

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Yup: scripts are essential. Besides AI (by definition) is a series of complex scripts anyway: duh. This is just a few cut corners, in a way. With every update, however, there is a great improvement in how subtle and sophisticated these scripts are.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Hilldric View Post
    Easy for whom?

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post
    Totaly agree with Klierowski.You realy need to keep playing.After some time you will know exactly when,which army and stack composition of all the scripted stacks.I did not like scripted stacks in the begining my self but now when I know them all hehe,they realy add up to whole fealing of being on brink.You will also become very proficient in scripted stack battles.Loosing less and less men,while killing more and more.
    As I said you just need to keep playing and scripted stacks will "kilck" for you sooner or later...
    It's not a matter of it being hard but it being annoying....I mean seriously being outnumbered by dwarfs when playing as orcs`?
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Image that most of you'r tribes are somewhere else, really belive me that if not the scripts the game woud be not so awsome.

But i think that SOMETIMES when Script army attacks with full stacks sometimes the player/ defending AI shoud get smaller army too - like orc's defending vs dwarfs trying to get rid of greenskins .
    All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan uvvas.

Quote Originally Posted by Klierowski View Post
    The stacks MUST stay - if u are a idiot who thinks that after loosing ONE OR TWO FREAKING cities game sucks and mod is too hard...then go play other mods or RTW II.
    Warhammer is grim, warhammer is dark - in the Warhammer the dwarfs/elves or the Imperials must stand their ground, like mine battle last night - 400 dwarves did protect their hold in gray mountains agains freaking 6000 night goblins - they did menage to slay more than 4000 but were slughted at final stand, did i cried ? no i did gather armies from other holds and recounquer it.
    As you seem to be used to the mod, can you tell us some interesting information to deal with it? What is the frequency of the stack spams, do they target the same cities, are some factions more involved than others (beastmen/orcs/night goblins) ?

Yet IMO the game should stay challeging if the spam would consist in 1 full stack or 2 half stacks. If i change the script to do so, will it be savegame-compatible?
    "They make a desert, and call it peace" - Caledonian chieftain Calgacos' personal opinion about Pax Romana

Whery interesting thread. Oh, just a little info here: there will be even more scripts, more stacks, more events and more armies that will tear you apart with no chance to survive. I was playing this mod last week. First time in four years of development, after i give myself a promise not to play it, till i can manage to done as much mod work as i can in my part. I was playing Ostland, they cant even hire mercenaries. And this is what i tell you: i havent expirienced so much orgasm and pleasure from a game in a 10 years, after i crashed stack of silvanian scripted army in bloody tears, left with nothing but 46 units alive. I was complaining to Mesn too. But then i understand, what makes this mod so interesting : challenge. You may not agree, but as guys above said, there will always be submods for all tastes =) Try them. But there can be only one warhammer : where you not play, but where you survive. Thanks for the attention

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Necromancer View Post
    But then i understand, what makes this mod so interesting : challenge.
    I'm totally agreeing with this. But some of us were not "complaining" about difficulty, but about repetitive battles. So which ideas could we propose to get rid of that?

- Less "minor" invasions (orks , beastmen, goblin and vampire count spams) but more powerful "major" ones (waagh, storm of chaos, and maybe a dark elves great offensive...)

- Chaos storm and Waagh could consist in fewer but more powerful stacks, made up of the most elite-type units with max experience, armour and weapon upgrade that would be very hard to handle even with a large number advantage...?

- Other ideas?
    "They make a desert, and call it peace" - Caledonian chieftain Calgacos' personal opinion about Pax Romana

Are you playing on Very Hard / Very Hard?
    Last edited by GreatSword; February 25, 2015 at 03:45 PM.

No, i play M/M, or H/M. Since in every mod, battles are really equal in Medium (no bonuses, so every unit is worth its stats). I don't really know what campaign difficulty changes, but i'm pretty sure it has an effect on money...

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Quote Originally Posted by Archesel View Post
    I'm totally agreeing with this. But some of us were not "complaining" about difficulty, but about repetitive battles. So which ideas could we propose to get rid of that?

- Less "minor" invasions (orks , beastmen, goblin and vampire count spams) but more powerful "major" ones (waagh, storm of chaos, and maybe a dark elves great offensive...)

- Chaos storm and Waagh could consist in fewer but more powerful stacks, made up of the most elite-type units with max experience, armour and weapon upgrade that would be very hard to handle even with a large number advantage...?

- Other ideas?
    I think 1.6 already has way more difference on the scripted battles. More variation on them I mean.

Vette's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Archesel View Post
    No, i play M/M, or H/M. Since in every mod, battles are really equal in Medium (no bonuses, so every unit is worth its stats). I don't really know what campaign difficulty changes, but i'm pretty sure it has an effect on money...
    Only difrence is in moral bonus.Higher aggressiveness toward a player on campaign map diminishes almost entirely due to forced alliances.