Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 106 regions in 11 turns! -- NEW MEDIEVAL II BLITZ RECORD

Default Re: 106 regions in 11 turns! -- NEW MEDIEVAL II BLITZ RECORD

Quote Originally Posted by UndrState View Post
    Take their territory (original or their expansions too?) or kill their bloodline (faction destroyed) ?
    Bonus points are awarded if you can take half their cities and make the remainder of France a vassal. As for Poland, you can team up with Russia to utterly destory them. Oh, and lots of points if you can hold the cities for around a 1000 turns.

Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!

Would just like to say that, while I don't intend to make wholesale changes to my playing style, thanks to reading this thread and swotting up on the boat movement exploit I just completed the easiest crusade ever (and as a bonus managed to march a relieving army across France to foil an unprovoked attack by the villainous Milanese. But then, when are they anything else?).

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Gandel View Post
    Would just like to say that, while I don't intend to make wholesale changes to my playing style, thanks to reading this thread and swotting up on the boat movement exploit I just completed the easiest crusade ever (and as a bonus managed to march a relieving army across France to foil an unprovoked attack by the villainous Milanese. But then, when are they anything else?).

Yeah the Milanese are always good for nothing aren't they?
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Well, Milanese do have good militia kind of troops. Too bad their army doesn't stand a chance against a full-fledged Roman/Byzantine army until gunpowder is discovered.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

"Medieval II has stood the test of time."

Because of the mods available, not because of the game itself. Diablo 2 is still around because of the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post

Because of the mods available, not because of the game itself. Diablo 2 is still around because of the game itself.
    While that may be true for some, I have always returned to the vanilla game from mods.
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

While I love to play mods, many of them are still unfinished in some respects. And I never played SS a lot because it lags extremely badly in battle for some reason, most other mods work fine.

I stick with Retrofit mod usually. Completely vanilla experience with a few additions from Kingdoms expansion (controllable reinforcements, stone forts etc.).
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

puddingkip's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post

No, plenty of people including me still play and love vanilla.

I had over 800 m2tw hours before I played my first mod

Senator

Regarding the rtw blitzes, I believe some guy did a blitz with the greek cities, not sure what his blitz constituted however, I believe it was just finishing the game. Something like 22 turns, seems very beatable.

Congrats to the 2 players, the best blitz I can manage is completing the game in 8 turns, never mind taking the whole map. However the siege exploit I saw Legend use and the unlimited movement for ships were things that were not really widely known when I was trying to blitz.
    Last edited by In3x; February 20, 2015 at 08:35 PM.
    [M2TW AAR] The Spirit of the Blitz (16 turn long campaign victory with Sicily)
    [RETROFIT AAR] World War 0 (All factions hotseat)

Quote Originally Posted by In3x View Post
    Regarding the rtw blitzes, I believe some guy did a blitz with the greek cities, not sure what his blitz constituted however, I believe it was just finishing the game. Something like 22 turns, seems very beatable.

Congrats to the 2 players, the best blitz I can manage is completing the game in 8 turns, never mind taking the whole map. However the siege exploit I saw Legend use and the unlimited movement for ships were things that were not really widely known when I was trying to blitz.
    Hey In3x! It's great to hear from you! You and Legend are my primary inspirations for beginning to blitz the game. Your Sicily blitz absolutely fascinated me when I first read it.

Hey man, great video, i am only halfway trough the second one ATM but intend to watch the whole thing, anyway could you(or someone else) post a similar thing with England, vanilla or stainless steel, i mean general campaign tips, battle footage and stuff. I am only playing as england and i am never able to achive anything if my forces are below 2/3 of the enemy, sometimes i can win 2/1 but only on rare ocasions and always with heavy losses(like 85% of my own army).

Quote Originally Posted by samoja View Post
    Hey man, great video, i am only halfway trough the second one ATM but intend to watch the whole thing, anyway could you(or someone else) post a similar thing with England, vanilla or stainless steel, i mean general campaign tips, battle footage and stuff. I am only playing as england and i am never able to achive anything if my forces are below 2/3 of the enemy, sometimes i can win 2/1 but only on rare ocasions and always with heavy losses(like 85% of my own army).
    Not sure if you are addressing me or Legend but I do plan on a general campaign tips video coming out soon. Stay tuned for that.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Congrats to both of you infidels.

The gameplay videos clearly show how overpowered cavalry and especially the horse archers are in vanilla M2TW.

It's a tricky thing to get realistic cavalry without making them either useless or just not worth the cost, just reducing the charge value a bit apparently does not do the trick.
    That is a task many current M2TW mods still have serious problems with.

In my game build horse archers mainly have a reduced range and missile attack though, however they are still useful on the battlefield, just in a more realistic manner being the harass skirmishers the were, and not the long ranged machine gunners they are by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius Marich View Post
    Congrats to both of you infidels.

The gameplay videos clearly show how overpowered cavalry and especially the horse archers are in vanilla M2TW.

It's a tricky thing to get realistic cavalry without making them either useless or just not worth the cost, just reducing the charge value a bit apparently does not do the trick.
    That is a task many current M2TW mods still have serious problems with.

In my game build horse archers mainly have a reduced range and missile attack though, however they are still useful on the battlefield, just in a more realistic manner being the harass skirmishers the were, and not the long ranged machine gunners they are by default.
    I agree that cavalry are overpowered but many mods take it to the other extreme and underpower them drastically.

For me, fun is more important than balance so I stick with vanilla.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Congrats William, (and Legend ofc). Nice campaigns from both you! Liked and subbed! Please try another one, just to get to 7 turns!

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Congrats William, (and Legend ofc). Nice campaigns from both you! Liked and subbed! Please try another one, just to get to 7 turns!
    Thanks very much for the support!

It is very likely that I will be blitzing again to at least match the 8 turn blitz. I'm not entirely sure if 7 turns is possible but I'll give it a shot!

Arto's Avatar Praefectus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Legend exactly focused on which general should get which trait and even had let some die to gain new ones. I don't think it's possible to break that record.
    Knowledge is a deadly friend, if no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see, is in the hands of fools - King Crimson's Epitaph.
    תחי מדינת ישראל

Quote Originally Posted by Arto View Post
    Legend exactly focused on which general should get which trait and even had let some die to gain new ones. I don't think it's possible to break that record.

There were still quite a few imperfections (there always will be). There will always be places you can reload to get better results. It's just a matter of if it will actually gain another turn.

I am currently working on an AAR based on LOTW's 8 turn blitz and I thought I could share a GIF I made for my AAR showing how LOTW conquered the world:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1080 refers to the start of turn 1, 1082 is the end of turn 1, 1084 is the end of turn 2 and so on and so forth.

The background map was created by DeviantArt's RC-Kola and is actually based off of the Medieval 1 map. Fortunately, Medieval 1's map is almost identical to Medieval 2's map.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123