Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Submod] Alternate (Bigger) Unit Sizes

Default [Submod] Alternate (Bigger) Unit Sizes

NEW! Important note: I've updated the startpos for the 1.3 release. This may affect compatibility with other submods, but starting unit sizes will now be correct. Also, for this update I've had to redo a lot of the work for this submod, so errors may have crept in. Please let me know if any units have incorrect sizes or an incorrect number of horses/men.

Am I the only one who misses the ability (from pre 1.0 DeI versions) to make Roman armies with semi-historically accurate numbers? Well, I've (sort-of) brought that back. I've adjusted most unit sizes to be slightly bigger (Details below). Roman triarii are still 240, because they historically used half-size maniples which is hard to do unless I actually cut unit sizes in half. So your armies will have slightly more triarii than real Roman armies. Of course, cohorts are still actually just maniples. To do accurate cohorts, I'd have to double the unit sizes, so I've compromised for playability. The battle maps are too small for really accurate numbers anyway.

This submod also increases the sizes of some of the weaker levy and garrison units. This is to make them a bit more attractive as a recruitment choice, and more dangerous in AI hands. The only real issue is again - maps are too small to really do much with it. City and fortification maps are the worst of course.

This should go without saying, but also avoid coastal landing battles with transports (actually, this may be fixed in the latest version of the game, since transport ships can leave after disembarking troops now, but I haven't had a chance to test it). I've adjusted the number of transports for most units, but that comes with its own issues. It seems that the maximum number of men per transport is 164. Anything above that requires an additional ship or else you'll end up with some part of the unit stuck under the middle of the map.

The population system will think the units are the normal size when you recruit them, but replenishment should work with the new numbers.

I should also mention that these changes are not balanced. I've spent relatively little time balancing this, so let me know if anything is just stupidly OP.

List of unit size changes (on ultra settings):

War dogs, artillery, and naval unit sizes have not been changed.

Melee Infantry
    • Professional - 240
    • Hoplites - 300
    • Roman double strength units - 400 (unchanged)
    • Barbarian/Some levy units - 360
    • Weakest Levy units - 480
    • Pikemen - 256 (unchanged)
    • Levy Pikemen - 512

Missile Infantry
    • Regular - 200
    • Bigger (some factions have more men per unit) - 240
    • Roman double strength units - 320 (unchanged)

Cavalry
    • Heavy/Western - 120
    • Light/Eastern - 150
    • Nomadic Heavy/Parthian Light - 175
    • Nomadic Light - 200

Elephants
    • African (no platform) - 22
    • African War Elephants, Indian, Syrian - 44
    • Unique Taksashila Indian Elephants - 60

Chariots

• Scythed - 44
    • African, Noble British and Celtic - 60
    • British, Celtic, Sabaean, Indian - 72

And the download itself:
    Mediafire Link
    Steam Workshop Link

Changelog:
    10/26/2015 - Remade the submod from scratch for DeI 1.1. Now works with the GC, not just custom battles! Also uploaded to Steam.
    10/29/2015 - Updated with some changes for DeI 1.1a, as well as several startpos fixes. All minor factions should have the correct starting unit sizes now.
    11/5/2015 - Updated for DeI 1.1b, and made some other small fixes here and there.
    12/16/2015 - Updated for DeI 1.1d. Changes to other campaign startpos files are delayed for the time being.
    10/24/2017 - Unit sizes updated for DeI 1.2. Startpos not yet updated for 1.2.
    8/12/2018 - Updated for DeI 1.23. Still no startpos.
    9/11/2020 - Updated for DeI 1.2.6a. Increased nomadic cavalry unit sizes. Probably no startpos changes from here on out, as it's too time-consuming to update that.
    9/12/2020 - Fixed Rhodioi Epilektoi unit size and Pontic Lancers horse entry (fixed in main mod but you'll need this fix if you're using this submod).
    9/16/2020 - Fixed Dacian Axemen and Thessalian Levy Hoplite unit sizes. Moved Scordisci Elite Infantry recruitment to Pannonia (this change coming to the main mod soon)
    9/22/2020 - Various fixes to unit sizes here and there, increased Parthian light cavalry unit size, and incorporated fixes from the 1.2.6b hotfix.
    1/27/2021 - Fixed Macedonian Hiera Ile bodyguard units having the wrong number of horses assigned.
    2/27/2021 - Updated for DeI 1.2.7.
    3/1/2021 - Updated for DeI hotfix 1.2.7a.
    3/15/2021 - Added a few minor fixes from fix pack 1.27b. You don't need that fix pack to use the mod, but it is encouraged.
    3/16/2021 - Another minor update to fix a Germanic AOR unit (full fix is in the fix pack).
    3/18/2021 - And one more to fix the unit size of Alan Noble cavalry.
    3/25/2021 - Updated for DeI 1.2.7b.
    8/27/2021 - Updated for DeI 1.2.8. Also made some changes to ship numbers to try and fix issues with landings.
    9/3/2021 - Updated for DeI 1.2.8a.
    2/24/2022 - Updated for DeI 1.3. Startpos now included again.
    5/30/2022 - Fixed a few errors/wrong sizes and fixed the mediafire link.
    Last edited by Augustusng; May 30, 2022 at 10:42 PM.

Default Re: [WIP Submod] Alternate (Bigger) Unit Sizes

If only I could use this on my computer I would be an extremely happy man. However due to fps issues I have had to drop unit sizes to large on top of using the old .96 skins. [emoji17]

Quote Originally Posted by Grizwald714 View Post
    If only I could use this on my computer I would be an extremely happy man. However due to fps issues I have had to drop unit sizes to large on top of using the old .96 skins. [emoji17]
    Yeah, I also have FPS issues with 1.0, but the unit size doesn't seem to matter much for me. The only thing that helped was the reduced variation pack or reducing texture detail to high. It's different for everyone's specific setup, it seems.

Update: I've added a new, experimental version with even more changes to unit sizes (details in the OP). I've only tested this a little, and there are already some crazy things going on (Suebi pikemen now beat Greek pikemen 1 on 1 because of bigger unit size - things like this make me want to scrap that levy pikemen change). Use it at your own risk, but please test it in some custom battles if you think it's an interesting idea. Let me know if you have any ideas to improve this.

I also wanted to change most hoplites to 288 or 300 per unit for historical reasons, but that makes them entirely too good. I'd have to make actual stat changes for that... like those pikemen, and for now that's beyond the scope of this submod.

Remade this submod for DeI 1.1. My stupidly large unit size submod is back!

It now works with the grand campaign (I don't recommend trying other campaigns with it yet though), and I've uploaded it to Steam as well. It also includes a few startpos fixes that will be in the main mod soon.

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: [Submod] Alternate (Bigger) Unit Sizes

This is madness!!!

I suppose it's expected that I reply with this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

But indeed, I finally have a machine that might be able to run battles this big, so I figured I'd make this submod again. Might be fun.

Updated with some changes for DeI 1.1a, as well as several startpos fixes. All minor factions should have the correct starting unit sizes now.

Tuhaj bej's Avatar Libertus

Hello! Thanks to the amendment; very good. Not then adapts the legionary sub mods?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...mp-Units-Cards
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2015-UPDATE***

Those haven't been updated for 1.1, have they? There's no point in doing versions for them until they're updated.
    Last edited by Augustusng; October 29, 2015 at 08:12 AM.

Tuhaj bej's Avatar Libertus

I understand it. Thanks.

Updated for 1.1b, including some startpos fixes. Nothing major, but you'll need a new campaign to see those (some starting unit fixes for some factions). Otherwise, the update is save-compatible.

Updated for DeI 1.1d. Changes to other campaign startpos files are delayed for the time being, so this mod still works best on the grand campaign. You can try the other campaigns if you want, but the starting units will all have the wrong sizes.

Got a new computer with a GTX980ti--should be able to handle this submod!
    Will give it a try...

Cool! Keep in mind that your CPU is just as important as your GPU for this sort of thing.

Oh, and I might as well post this to keep everyone informed: most likely, I won't be updating this submod until the next major DeI update (1.15 probably). Depending on how things go with that, I may not make the startpos changes for the mini-campaigns until the 1.2 release. This submod should still work fine with the current version of DeI though.

(Finally) updated for 1.2. Startpos not yet updated for 1.2. You can still use this submod, but starting units will have their old unit sizes. New units you recruit will have the new sizes. I've done this to have a release people can play until the DeI 1.2.2b update arrives, as that update will include some startpos changes and I don't want to redo the startpos changes (since they're the most tedious part of this submod to update ).
    Last edited by Augustusng; October 25, 2017 at 01:46 PM.

Updated for 1.23. Still no startpos changes. Let me know if any of the sizes seem off.

Quick announcement for the probably three of you interested: this submod is getting an update when the new fix pack is released.

Also I've gone mad and I've further increased unit sizes for nomadic cavalry units, to 175 for heavy and 200 for light cavalry. Will be extra scary going up against them now. May revert this if it's too ridiculous, but my double-strength levy unit change went well, so this should be fine.

Any chance of a version that works with Kam's Alternative Economy? This and that are my two favorite mods, and I hate being forced to choose between them.

Hmmm... I guess the only thing making them incompatible are recruitment/upkeep costs, since those are in the same table. Maybe I'll make a version that works, but no promises (would have to keep the extra version updated every time Kam released an update to his mod). If you wanted to do it yourself, the easiest way to do it is taking the numbers from the num_men, num_mounts, and (optionally) num_ships columns from my mod tables and copy-pasting them into the appropriate columns in his mod tables. But probably wait until I update this for 1.26 anyway, since there are a few changes/additions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast