Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom of the Scots Introduction

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Kingdom of the Scots Introduction

The Kingdom of the Scots Redux - January 2015

Introduction

After 7 years and many false starts I have finally managed to update and re-release Kingdom of the Scots. While there will be many similarities to the original that people recognise, the mod itself is far more complex than the previous version. Although the team, goals and overall design has changed over the years, the desire has not. As such, I would like to thank all previous contributors, and for those whose mods I have included and forgotten to mention, please feel free to point it out and I will add you to the list of contributors. A mod of this antiquity has seen much coding and mod changes over the years, and as such the ownership and creators of some of them have been forgotten.

Compatibility

Updated 27th July 2019 - The game is now fully compatible with Steam and Kingdoms, simply click through the installer and then use the desktop shortcut to start the mod, regardless which M2TW version you have.

What is Kingdom of the Scots

As the mod description on the moddb website says:

The Kingdom of the Scots is a complete modification of the Medieval Total War 2 - British Isles Campaign created by The Creative Assembly, and published by SEGA.

This mod is focused on the British Isles and Ireland during the 13th and 14th century. It seeks to reproduce the Anglo-Scottish, Anglo-Irish and Anglo-French conflicts of the period by adding Welsh rebellions, French invasions of England, Scottish Invasions of Ireland and England, and, but more importantly the struggle for domination of land within Scotland itself.

Kingdoms of the Scots will offer a good blend of historical accuracy and gameplay through the use of a complex recruitment system and and AI enhancement from some of the best modders in the TWC community. Featuring 27 new regions and 57 newly named historical castles, there is plenty to do. Complete with all new playable factions such as Clan Donald, Dougall, Ruriai, MacLeod, Mackay, MacKenzie, Chattan, Scott and Comyn, you will now be able to unite the clans and invade England should you play as the Kingdom of Scotland. However, if your intention is to defend and expand your lands as a Clan and defy the Canmore dynasty, then the choice is yours.

The mod also has new strat and battle models and textures as well as a new UI. It also features a Heraldry mod that assigns characters as Earls, Barons and the Great offices of State for Scotland and England. It also features floods along waterways, storms, earthquakes along fault lines and plagues. Plus the Great Famine & Pestilence events will feature as the campaign progresses. Finally, this game is no place for peasants. Your generals will not have peasant names, this is a game for Knights and Earls. As such all (only England and Barons Alliance currently) will have historical knights and nobility names like de Vere, Cressingham, Bek, Hesselrig, de Clavelland, Tottershall et al.

The Kingdom of the Scots stills commences in 1258 and as such still contains the Barons Alliance uprising. However, there are now there are 8 new factions that fill out the campaign map, leaving no rebel held territory (more on this soon).

Campaign and Battle Features

- 2 Turns per year
    - 8 New Factions (MacDonald, MacDougall, MacRuari, Mackay, MacKenzie, MacLeod, Chattan (Contains the Mackintoshes, Camerons and Davidsons), Scott)
    - 27 New Regions (12 of which are islands that didn't have settlements previously)
    - 50 Named forts on campaign map renamed to castles (such as Roxborough, Norham, Dunbar, Scarborough castle)
    - 5 New Resources (Cattle and Sheep, Monasteries, Cloth, Wine and Pottery)
    - Crusade Feature from MTW2 added for Scotland faction named as Clan Muster.
    - Complex clan recruitment for factions and Scotland
    - No more rebel settlements
    - Only named generals, no captains in settlements.
    - Historical English characters derived from Muster rolls. There are no common names in the game now, every character
    (only England so far) is from nobility such as John de Clavering, Hugh de Vere, Robert de Tattershall etc.
    - Every region in Scotland has different mercenaries and rebels based on realistic clan territories
    - All new campaign interface
    - All new battle interface
    - River and marsh areas will flood.
    - Storms will batter coastal areas
    - Realistic Tectonic active areas will receive earthquakes (minor, as per Moment Magnitude Scale)
    - New Models for Highland Factions to supplement existing rosters.
    - New Strat Map models
    - All Factions Horde except England
    - All Factions are re-emergent except England, France, Norway and the Comyns.
    - New Scripting (Really Bad AI, Settlement Tweaks, Princess Notifications, Garrison, Re-emergent Factions)

Changes and Additions

Campaign Map in Detail

The 27 new regions are:

Assynt (Mackay), Harris (Macleod), Nth & Sth Uist, Rum and Barra (Macruari), Tiree and Coll (Macdougall), Colonsay, Kintyre and Jura (Macdonald), Gairloch and Ardnamurchan (Mackenzie), Badenoch (Chattan), Strathspey, Turnberry Castle, Berwick, Bute, Selkirk (Scotland), Richmond Castle, Isle of Wight, Exeter (England), Anglesey and Cardigan (Wales), Clare, Castlebar, Wexford and Enniskillen (Ireland).

- Anglesey has been separated from wales by a causeway
    - Bute has been separted from the mainland also
    - Nth and Sth Uist have been separated by a causeway
    - Tiree and Coll have been separated by a causeway
    - Added Loch Lomond
    - Added more forests to Scotland
    - Fixed the geography and topography of the Firth of Clyde
    - Carlisle, and Lincoln are now large cities and not villages.
    - Added darker sea colour
    - Moved placement of Edinburgh, Stirling, Stornoway, Dunvegan, Carlisle, Newcastle, Caernavon

The 57 new named forts:

- In Scotland (17) are Dunrobin, Urquart, Dunbarton, Bothwell, Edzell, Sween, Dunscaith, Mingary, Eilean Donan, Aros, ayr, Caeverlock, Lochmabben, Roxborough, Dunbar and Kildrummy.
    - In Wales (12); Flint, Brecon, Builith, Denbigh, Dinis Bran, Haverfordwest, Laugharne, Crickhowell, Skenrith, Raglan, Castell y Berre, Criccieth.
    - In England (15); Wark, Bewcastle, Norham, Alnwick, Penrith, Bolton, Scarborough, Ponterfract, Clun, Clifford
    - In Ireland (13); King John's, Bunratty, Cahir, Ashford, Rinden, Clogh Ougher, Donegal, Green Carrickfergus, Kilkea, Kilkenny, Castle Martyr and Dunboy.

Resources have been completely redone and streamlined. All natural resources have been added historically, such as gold, tin, coal, iron. Likewise, the south of England & Scottish Borders has more grain, where in turn the Highlands
    and Islands of Scotland have more fish, cattle, and plant dyes. Major trade hubs have cloth and textiles. Finally, monasteries have been added to historical regions in all 4 Kingdoms.

Crusade Feature

The Crusade Feature has been enabled and as such Religion replaces management. It also takes the place of cultural conversion. Religion re-entering the game is a by product of the Crusade feature and cannot be disabled, however I am fine with the return as religion in Medieval Britain was central to life. Now you can recruit priest to help with conversion, and these priests will become part of the Council of Nobles (Cardinals). Essentially the King, becomes head of the Church of Scotland as well as being King, and all Crusades (renamed to Clan Muster or Royal Muster) are requested through him.

These work in the same way as before and can be called against any other non Scottish Faction from the start, or later on a Scottish Faction that has been denounced as traitors and enemies of the realm. This feature at the moment is experimental and needs testing.

Recruiting

This is where the major change of the campaign occurs. Essentially, the recruiting is divided into 2 categories; 1. Feudal, 2. Highland. Feudal is available everywhere except in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. Every single region has region specific recruiting based on which faction has ownership at the start. Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England are therefore predominantly feudal, but can recruit some highland units if they have converted over 65-95% (depending on the walltype) of the population to their cause.

Therefore, if an English Army marches north from Carlisle and captures the village of Aviemore in Badenoch. It must covert at least 65% of the population to recruit new Highland units only, if it doesn't, it can only recruit mercenaries to fill its army. Likewise, if a highland army captures Carlisle, it cannot recruit any feudal troops unless it converts at least 65% of the population to Scottish, and once again must rely on mercenaries to resupply the army.

For the Scotland Faction, they can no longer recruit generic highland units, and they certainly can't recruit highlanders in Dumfries anymore as this is a feudal region in the Scottish Borders. What occurs now is this. When the Scottish faction conquers a highland region like Badenoch, it can immediately recruit Clan Davidson highland units, then if it went onto capture Inverness, it could recruit Mackintosh troops; then if it went onto capture Inverlochly, it would recruit Clan Cameron troops.

However, recruiting is slightly different for Highland Factions. Highland Factions can only recruit their own faction highland units. Also highland Factions will only be able to recruit catapults, ballistas and trebuchets and no other forms of siege engine, whereas England will have the greatest access to as many siege engines as possible including mortars and bombards (after gunpowder event).

Rebel Recruiting

Each highland region has faction specific recruiting, but when the region rebels or when rebels appear it will not be the same faction. For instance when Caithness and Sutherland which is held by Clan Mackay, rebels or has rebels appear within its borders, the rebels will be from Clans Gunn, Sutherland and Sinclair. If you start the game as MacLeod, the rebels that appear will be Morrisons and MacAuleys in Lewis, Mackinnons and MacNicols in Skye, and MacIver and MacAuley in Harris.

It is very important not to have rebel clans like clan Macdonald operating in clan Macdonald territory. Therefore, I had to associate rebel clans that would appear as if raiding in non traditional territory. For instance, when the Clan MacNeil becomes playable in a future version, I will need to associate a different rebel faction to Barra and the Uists.

Hidden Resources Control the Mod

- Each faction is controlled by a hidden resource that enables it to be recruited there specifically (the name of the faction, Scott, Comyn, Macdonald, Cameron Macneil etc)
    - Such as England has Southern (English Southern Army),
    - Northern (English Northern Army)
    - Midlands (English Midlands Army)
    - Marches (English Welsh Marches Army)
    - Lowland (Allows all other English units to be built)
    - Warwolf - controls gunpowder units (not available in all regions)
    - aroads - historically accessible roadways used for troops and merchants
    - broads - these are the royal roads, such as the Roman Roads (Dere St and the A1 et al)
    - arableland - allows only top two tiers of farming in arable areas
    - townwall - only allows the building of stone walls in those towns where they were specifically and historically built
    - Feudal - allows Scotland, Comyn and Scott to build feudal units (not highlanders)
    - galloway -only galloway specific units can be built
    - borders - only Scottish Borders units can be built here
    - galloglaich - only professional galloglaich can be built in these regions.
    - never - this building will ever be built (printing press, music, art gallery etc)

The Heraldry Mod

This mod also contains a Heraldry mod that assigns characters as Earls, Barons and the Great offices of State for England and Scotland, such as Chancellor, Chamberlain, Constable, Marshall, Lord High Steward and Keeper of the Privy Seal. This will be expanded with the large map as more room for offices is created. I will need to review this description, but you can read a bit more about what it is here.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    In short at the end of a turn a General including the Prince and King are awarded titles based on the town/castle in which they have spent the night. Every settlement and each faction are awarded these titles so nobody will miss out. All titles are transferable between Generals except King.

The titles that are awarded include Province titles such as below. Provincial Titles do not award the General with any effects, except the title.

Earl of Lennox
    Earl of Mar
    Earl of Dunbar
    Duke of York
    Earl of Ulster
    Earl of Gloucester

Furthermore Kingdom Titles are awarded to the King and other Officials. Kingdom Titles will award the different offices with bonuses in the field for the holder and also bonuses in the campaign:

England..........................................Scotland

King of England................................King of Scotland (King)
    The Lord High Constable....................Lord High Constable of Scotland (Army)
    Lord Chancellor................................High Steward of Scotland (2nd Man of Kingdom)
    Chancellor of the Exchequer...............Lord Chamberlain of Scotland (Treasurer)
    Earl Marshal of England......................Great Marischal of Scotland (Security)
    Lord High Steward of England..............Lord Chancellor of Scotland (Public)

King Effects - Command +2 TroopMorale +2 Law +2
    Army Effects - Command +2 TroopMorale +2 TrainingUnits +1
    2nd Man to King - Command +2 TroopMorale +2
    Treasurer - TaxCollection +15 Trading +15 Mining +10
    Security - PublicSecurity +2 Law +1 TrainingAgents +3
    Public - Construction +10 Squalor -3 Unrest -2

Historical Accuracy vs Gameplay

Where possible I have included historically accurate pictures, however the internet is notoriously innacurate and unreliable depending on the person who has uploaded the information. In some cases such as with Irish and Welsh Provinces images do not exist online that can be used (that I can locate).

Another Historical vs Gameplay point in the name of some titles. Some titles have been given even though they did not exist in 1258, but came later in the 14th and 15th centuries. So when criticising the historical accuracy of a title or picture, bear in mind that I did not set out with the intent to mimic real history exactly, but instead wanted to add (as Rawghi did) a new level of depth to the campaign game!

A mod in Transition

Phase 1

- New Battle Models and Textures for England, Barons Alliance, France, Scott, Comyn and Scotland
    - Includes completion of garrison script, french invasion events
    - Byg Grim's Scripts Supply and Command Scripts

Phase 2

- Port existing mod over to the large map
    - Possible addition of a couple of new factions
    - New timeline starting 1306
    - Removal of Norway

Phase 3

- Add 10 new factions into the game (2 Irish) & (8 Scottish)
    - Complete Battle Banners

Known Issues

1. At the moment (version 0.2) there will be missing unit pictures

Included Mods and Contributors

Western armies overhaul - Gemini Sandy
    Highlander and Norse Models & Strat Models - Danova
    Really Bad AI & Settlemnt Tweaks - Germanicu5
    Dearmad and Puntmaster - King and Princess scripts
    Irish Reskins, Battle Models - Lord Condolarmis
    Bare Kingdoms Mod, Stone forts, Named Castle, Clickteam tutorial - Gigantus
    Better Water - Davide.cool
    Darker Nights Updated - Author unknown
    Better Skies Mod - Swagger
    Strat Model - KnightErrant
    Faction descriptions - Maca
    1066 Models - Disgruntled Goat
    Real horses - Argent Usher
    Resource model -
    Strat Map retexture - charge
    Blockade model by riczu74
    Cattle resource model from the High Road
    Scottish Targes by Tyre

Installation

This is a 'click through' installation.

• As long as your registry is fine the installer will find the correct installation path. If not, simply follow the instruction displayed in the installer.
    • At the end of the installation a file verification will take place, allow it to finish, check for error messages, close it and finalise your installation.
    • Steam users: no need to do anything - simply start the mod with it's desktop shortcut

Download

Here

Spoiler for link to old, original 0.1 version
    Download from the Primary Site: Moddb - HERE

Last edited by Gigantus; July 27, 2019 at 10:27 PM. Reason: updated to version 0.2

Default Re: Kingdom of the Scots Preview and Download - Finally it has arrived

Download started...thx...ole...ole

Patrician

No worries Heedi, can you please let me know if the game starts windowed? I tried to update the mod tonight, but I don't think the latest version took.

Also everyone, no matter how small the mistake/error, missing card, typo etc, please let me know. I haven't had time to test all factions, and haven't played longer than ten turns in those I have.

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver View Post
    No worries Heedi, can you please let me know if the game starts windowed? I tried to update the mod tonight, but I don't think the latest version took.

Also everyone, no matter how small the mistake/error, missing card, typo etc, please let me know. I haven't had time to test all factions, and haven't played longer than ten turns in those I have.
    no problem, i will check. Nice preview my friend.

Good to see a new version of the mod will install and test as soon as possible!

Hello, installation was successful. The game, steam version, started in window mode. Now I will try to change that, the way you wrote it.

Something i notice very early in the game ist that the enemys often leave their castles and towns alone, so there is no battle. also the flash in the battle to show the own, enemy or ally units is turnes off. Maybe you wanted it so. I would like to have it.

The different units look preety nice.

Downloading...immediately...Thanks for this mod...

Downloading NOW.. I have played the earlier versions before and I liked it a lot. Played as Norway and MacDonalds and it was great. I had some problems with crashes but it didnt bother me a lot. Thanks for putting this out!

Hurrah!

Pro Libertate

Patrician

Heedi, thanks for letting me know about the window being still in "windowed mode". I'll wait a few days before I patch the game then, but there are a few additional things missing from the uploaded version, which i'll outline below, and opena new thread regarding patch news.

Thanks for letting me know about the units leaving their castles, I have a few things to add so will look at that tonight in about 10 hours, such as the AI code assigned to the factions. If I can, can I ask you and everyone to do me a favour to check this for all factions, could you please open up the TW shell by do the following:

1. Press tilde key (~)
    2. Type toggle_fow (this shows complete visibility of the map)
    3. Scan around the map and see what factions (if any) have stacks within castles, towns and forts.
    4. To remove the complete visibility, simply type or up arrow toggle_fow again

Also, what do you mean about "the flash in the battle to show the own, enemy or ally units is turnes off". I'm not familiar with this, I have all the UI showing in my battles?

No problmes Anakonda, Bodvar and Samogitian. I look forward to hearing more.

Patrician

Also I need some feedback on the script that is running. Can anyone confirm the arrival of the Barons Alliance or Clan Comyn?

Added new description to Introduction, and also added the Heraldry Mod section of the Preview..
    Last edited by The Border Reiver; January 27, 2015 at 07:58 PM.

Also, what do you mean about "the flash in the battle to show the own, enemy or ally units is turnes off". I'm not familiar with this, I have all the UI showing in my battles?
    In real battle of the campaign, you normally can push the round button on the lower right, so you can see what units are yours (green), who is the enemy (red) and who is your ally (blue). The colour flashes around the units.
    Do you now what i meen?

Patrician

Oh yes I do, sorry about that.

You'll have to go into that config file KingdomoftheScots.cfg again and change the below from:

disable_arrow_markers = 1

to

disable_arrow_markers = 0

Patrician

Hi guys, I have found a ctd in the campaign script, I stuffed up one entry that on when a Macleod cheiftan becomes leader. I have included a new campaign script in the Patch Thread.

Hay guys. Quick question. I play m2tw and some mods on it like retrofit and tatw. But how heavy is this mod? I don't have a really good computer:/ medieval and tatw are running well, but submods on tatw would slow my computer down. Could play this mod, or is it too heavy? Thanks

play on dual core 2ghz 3g ram on windows xp, no problem quick turn speed on par with lands to conquer retrofit etc

Patrician

Thanks pictish01. I agree so far this mod runs smoothly. Although ofmanycolors, you may have trouble with the large map when it comes out and the load time. I'm trying to keep map textures to vanilla size as to not slow down the map, although saying that, I think the map is smoothly on faster machines.

On my modest machine GTX 650 Ti Boost, 16GB Ram, I5 3570K (not overclocked), when I pan on the small map, it zips from one side to the other, however on the big map it is smooth and certain...really nice so far. I am preparing an initial BIG Map Preview at the moment, hopefully the first shots are up on Monday. I rebuilt it from scratch the other day, and so far I am absolutely stoked with it!

any plans for a strategic choke point, Stirling Bridge? in the future big map?
    played two campaigns as the Scots and quickly relised i was on the back foot and a Stirling bridge crossing being the only way north would be a good place to make a stand.
    Both my campaigns ended around the time i built Herkledi Spear and Norman Crossbowmen in Banff - Missing unit image error?

Patrician

Pictish01, yes this is easily managed with trees and the river. I was going to start on the Stirling and Perth areas tomorrow. Unfortunately, I haven't got permission to use the Bruce's old Stirling Bridge custom tiles. It was brilliant and he spent a lot of time doing topography and landscaping, but I can certainly rectify this on the campaign map.

I'm starting a map preview thread tonight, so please put some ideas in there also.

Also I need some feedback on the script that is running. Can anyone confirm the arrival of the Barons Alliance or Clan Comyn?

Added new description to Introduction, and also added the Heraldry Mod section of the Preview..
    yes to both, Barons Alliance appear and Clan Comyn power growing message.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast