Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Colonies & Empires: The Original WIP Thread

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [WIP] Colonies & Empires: an Americas mod for M2TW:K (full map preview released, and I'm recruiting!)

If you're after some great European stuff, you should contact teams the 1648, Italian Wars and Call of Warhammer Teams. While not all their stuff might not necessarily be period appropriate, there is some great stuff there and I imagine it would shave quite alot of time off setting up all of the rosters. I mean I guess as you said, you want to make your mod unique (atleast I think you did? haha) so I can understand if you were hesitant on utilizing the work of others, but for efficiency's sake it might be an idea to explore, it'd also allow you to focus on your native american factions allot more as well, limiting the work load and the number of team members you need.
    Just a thought is all, best of luck and love the map! Its gorgeous!

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: [WIP] Colonies & Empires: an Americas mod for M2TW:K (full map preview released, and I'm recruiting!)

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    Thank you mate!

Do you mean the full dimensions of the map? If so, certainly! Here are the regions, heights and ground types images. Let me know if you'd like to see anything else, and I'll add these to the OP preview.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    map_regions.tga
    map_heights.tga
    map_ground_types.tga
    That I meant yea, looks great.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by isa0005 View Post
    If you're after some great European stuff, you should contact teams the 1648, Italian Wars and Call of Warhammer Teams. While not all their stuff might not necessarily be period appropriate, there is some great stuff there and I imagine it would shave quite alot of time off setting up all of the rosters. I mean I guess as you said, you want to make your mod unique (atleast I think you did? haha) so I can understand if you were hesitant on utilizing the work of others, but for efficiency's sake it might be an idea to explore, it'd also allow you to focus on your native american factions allot more as well, limiting the work load and the number of team members you need.
    Just a thought is all, best of luck and love the map! Its gorgeous!
    Thank you isa!

Neadal has been kind enough to offer me usage of his units from The Italian Wars. 1648 would be a great source as well. I'm not that familiar with Call of Warhammer - do you have any particular in mind when suggesting them? A very interesting idea.

You are right that I would like it to be unique, and I have a few ideas about how I could do it, without making it too ridiculous, but I'm only just starting to put them onto paper, so to speak. But I have no problem using other people's work. Quite the opposite actually, because it's probably a lot better than what I could ever hope to create myself.

~~~

This weekend I've been playing a little bit with strat models, and have replaced the vanilla watchtowers with villages, as per +Marius+'s Construct Your Own Villages Submod for Stainless Steel. Some pretty simple editing, but I think villages are a lot more realistic than standalone towers for extending the line of sight. The villagers see an enemy army and spread the word. +Marius+ puts it pretty well himself:

Quote Originally Posted by +Marius+ View Post
    Watchtowers were never used in the way the game uses them, they were lookouts made around towns and forts to warn citizens of impending danger, not a regionwide network of scouts that have nothing else to do but sit in a tower waiting for someone to spot.

This way, there is a realistic portrayal of news and information spreading from and amongst villages and small populated towns instead of giant towers of Orthanc towering over cities.

The villages do not create income or have any other special ability apart from increasing visibility (they are basically re-skinned watchtowers).
    Being a Stainless Steel submod, it did not include the American cultures, so I've done them myself pretty easily. I'm not sure if Aztec forts were ever used in the Grand Campaign, but since all forts were disabled by default in the Americas campaign, I was a little surprised when I saw them and they're actually pretty cool.

I've also found that for some reason, in terms of models, fort walls are separate from fort buildings. I found this out trying to replace the Moot and Bailey model with the fort model. This was the result:

A shame. It looks like I'll have to create my own strat model of a fort to replace them, or at least find a way to combine them, because I want to keep the Moot and Bailey as a separate settlement type (as opposed to cities) that can't be upgraded, but only can be converted (to cities). I'll explain that further once I've eventually got that working, but in the meantime, I stumbled upon a solution to a different strat map problem - Native Indian villages, which just look stupid with the Mesoamerican model. I replaced them with the "Aztec fort" model. Viola!

Much better, if you ask me, and I've used the same model for "watchtowers". I may still make a new strat model down the track with tipis (because that's what appears on the battle map), but for now it's much better. I may even do the same for the Mesoamerican factions, changing the current village model for bigger Mesoamerican towns and thereby keeping the pyramid model for the big cities. It will all depend on how easy it is for me to create new strat models. I have no idea how to and haven't found a tutorial yet. It's not a huge priority amongst everything else.

Only small changes, but I thought I'd share them anyway.

N.b.: The screenshots are different resolutions because some are from the in-game screenshot and some are just desktop screenshots. I think I need to change my settings in the config file...

I vaguely remember seeing some Aztec units for Call of Warhammer somewhere, not entirely sure if it was for the original mod or if it was a sub mod... on the hand I could be loosing my mind lol. Have a look around maybe? Also, perhaps you could use models from other games/mods for other games. AoE III has some pretty great looking native american units that I'm sure would fit right in... not sure if it'd be okay to use them or not, but its a thought none the less!

Out of curiosity could a series of sub-campaigns developed after release maybe (?) for a more historical appearance of factions? For example a late, mid and early periods? I feel like it'd be kinda cool, being able to play as various factions throughout their development in the colonial era. I like the idea of the original mod of course but yeah, maybe some provincial campaigns could be developed post release maybe?

EDIT:
    Also I thought, if you haven't already, there might be some interesting things worth using for your mod in this
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...Total-Conquest
    Last edited by isa0005; June 18, 2016 at 04:57 AM.

Aneirin's Avatar of flowing verse

Hey Frunk,

regarding these settlements, I am currently working myself into 3dmax.
    So I might be able to lend you a hand a couple of months
    Right now, I can only resize the vanilla ones D
    Proud son of Aikanár and brother of Iskar

Moderator Emeritus

Out of curiosity could a series of sub-campaigns developed after release maybe (?) for a more historical appearance of factions? For example a late, mid and early periods? I feel like it'd be kinda cool, being able to play as various factions throughout their development in the colonial era. I like the idea of the original mod of course but yeah, maybe some provincial campaigns could be developed post release maybe?

EDIT:
    Also I thought, if you haven't already, there might be some interesting things worth using for your mod in this
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...Total-Conquest
    Absolutely. Provincial campaigns would be able to do a lot more justice to history than Colonies & Empires intends to.

I'm unsure how much time, patience and motivation I'll have after finishing Colonies & Empires, though. I guess it would depend on the campaign and how complicated it would be, and in fact I've been reading a lot about the history of the New England region and I've been fascinated, and I think it would almost perfect for such a campaign. Like I've said before I'm hoping people will be interested in using Colonies & Empires as a base for more Americas mods down the track.

I don't know anything about Falcom so I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
    Hey Frunk,

regarding these settlements, I am currently working myself into 3dmax.
    So I might be able to lend you a hand a couple of months
    Right now, I can only resize the vanilla ones D
    Hey Aneirin (like the new name mate ), my friend, that would be fantastic. I wouldn't even know where to begin with it myself. Are you following any tutorials or just winging it?

Aneirin's Avatar of flowing verse

Thank's!
    I thought, it was time for a change

Well, among all the benefits of being a student, you have also a free access to video2brain and a license of 3Dmax. (And many other cool stuff, I'd like to give a shot )
    To be brief, I follow up their vid tutorials.
    Proud son of Aikanár and brother of Iskar

UchihaMadara21's Avatar Tiro

As i promised, i have returned, and i must say that i'm absolutely amazed with the beauty and accuracy of this campaign map. You're like the first person to get the regions, settlement names and dimensions RIGHT. Looks like i'll only need to provide the settlement flags/emblems for ancillaries, while giving assistance on units and similar affairs when the mod's development reach this point. Meanwhile, i'll be leaving some interesting info here when i find the appropriate moment; also, i will try to contact with some of my old partners from past projects, so the interest in the mod will increase (if it's not already a topic here).

I just want to help in every possible manner.

Morning(ish) any news for us Frunk? Been itching to play this!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by UchihaMadara21 View Post
    As i promised, i have returned, and i must say that i'm absolutely amazed with the beauty and accuracy of this campaign map. You're like the first person to get the regions, settlement names and dimensions RIGHT. Looks like i'll only need to provide the settlement flags/emblems for ancillaries, while giving assistance on units and similar affairs when the mod's development reach this point. Meanwhile, i'll be leaving some interesting info here when i find the appropriate moment; also, i will try to contact with some of my old partners from past projects, so the interest in the mod will increase (if it's not already a topic here).

I just want to help in every possible manner.
    Welcome back mate! Thanks for the compliment. Settlement names were a huge challenge, particularly in western North America where there just weren't many villages or settlements, let alone ones which had names that managed to survive to this day, to speak of. I've had to make use of whatever small snippets of information ("this city was formerly a Native American village, called this") I can find, and luckily I did find quite a few. Some regions, such as "Oolikhanna" in modern Maryland, were never really settlements, but are at least of genuine Native American etymology (in this case the word means beautiful stream in Lenape). I have a spreadsheet with all the details of all my regions (and everything else I've done with the mod so far) and am happy to go back and change them as research now moves into factions and what type of units they used, because I'm sure I'll learn more about every faction this way. So in a sense, many of the settlements are placeholders, and we'll see how things do when the beta period eventually arrives as to what stays, what goes, and what more is needed.

I would greatly appreciate you contacting your old partners. Anything to keep the ball rolling here will be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always.

Morning(ish) any news for us Frunk? Been itching to play this!
    Hey isa, no real news. I've just been doing some research lately. I moved house last week and will move again in a few weeks once this housesitting arrangement is over, so I've been pretty busy trying to find somewhere new to live. I am chipping away whenever I can though mate.

Good to hear from you! Good luck finding a place, I know what its like these days here in Melbourne, believe me! I just moved back with my folks.

Just had a thought, I'm currently doing a Carribean history subject for my Uni degree and we're looking at the Maroons of Jamaica. If you're in need of scripted events and such and even another faction, Slave uprisings and the various Maroon nations could be an interesting option. While most of the uprisings occurred during the 18th century, there is evidence that the Spanish were struggling increasingly with such rouge slave bands, in fact the Spanish in general were struggling to keep their colonies affloat. I also wanted to note that if you require any research to be done I'd be happy to help out or any historical material let us know as well. I have access to a number of primary and secondary historical documents and scholarly sources through my uni.

Moderator Emeritus

Hi all, just thought I'd give a general update on progress, which unfortunately has been non-existent over the past month. I'm still living in the same place and will for a while, which is fine, but the search will resume soon. I've just started a second job and I have had the flu twice now in the past 6 weeks, so I've been flat, and need to sort my life out!

As I've said previously in this thread though, the (southern hemisphere) winter months are always a less-productive time for me. Modding work will resume towards the Australian summer. I have plans to try and make some Incan units, for starters, and maybe some settlement strat models.

@isa: Sorry for not replying. That info would be great when the time comes for scripting. I'll be in touch with you when I'm back working on this. Slaves were a massive part of history so I want to include them in as many relevant ways as possible. Every now and then I have a sinking feeling that this mod will rely on scripting to make it work, mostly due to the sheer scale of the map and the distances between the 2 or 3 major theatres of war (New England, Central Mexico and possibly Colombia). It's hard to know how the AI will cope with this, but I guess we won't know until that distant goal of beta testing is met.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

frunk I read in you OP about inca roads AFAIk you can disable roads for all factions save the incas
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

UchihaMadara21's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    Hi all, just thought I'd give a general update on progress, which unfortunately has been non-existent over the past month. I'm still living in the same place and will for a while, which is fine, but the search will resume soon. I've just started a second job and I have had the flu twice now in the past 6 weeks, so I've been flat, and need to sort my life out!

As I've said previously in this thread though, the (southern hemisphere) winter months are always a less-productive time for me. Modding work will resume towards the Australian summer. I have plans to try and make some Incan units, for starters, and maybe some settlement strat models.

@isa: Sorry for not replying. That info would be great when the time comes for scripting. I'll be in touch with you when I'm back working on this. Slaves were a massive part of history so I want to include them in as many relevant ways as possible. Every now and then I have a sinking feeling that this mod will rely on scripting to make it work, mostly due to the sheer scale of the map and the distances between the 2 or 3 major theatres of war (New England, Central Mexico and possibly Colombia). It's hard to know how the AI will cope with this, but I guess we won't know until that distant goal of beta testing is met.

If you need any help with the Inca units, contact me and i will provide all necessary info.

Will the Chinook or the Inuit people be playable? The Inuit obviously don't have a permanent settlement but it could be done like the Mongols or Timurids are.

just a sugestion of map and what about apache be a horde ... try to get one "settlement" in their area and fear they fury.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Khorps View Post
    Will the Chinook or the Inuit people be playable? The Inuit obviously don't have a permanent settlement but it could be done like the Mongols or Timurids are.
    An epic Inuit horde featuring armoured polar bear riders, moose gunners, reindeer chariots and seal clubbers? Sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    An epic Inuit horde featuring armoured polar bear riders, moose gunners, reindeer chariots and seal clubbers? Sounds awesome.
    It'd sweep up North America harvesting all the maple syrup as they go.

any updates?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast