Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeworld Remastered

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Homeworld Remastered

Holy... carp...

It's available for pre-order on Steam. The beta opens on February 25th.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244160/
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; January 26, 2015 at 07:50 PM.

Default Re: Homeworld Remastered

Wow.
    OK now i'm excited.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Gonna play X3 Albion Prelude+Litcube mod while waiting for this gem.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I need to get the original and 2 and find that Star Wars mod. I think there's a Halo one as well.

They used modders to help remaster the game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I'll probably pick this up. The guys behind the Battlestar Galactica Fleet Commander mod are updating the mod for this. Soooo ayup.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    I'll probably pick this up. The guys behind the Battlestar Galactica Fleet Commander mod are updating the mod for this. Soooo ayup.

Get it!
    Its great, but i think its best for people like me who played Homeworld, but never overplayed it. There's alot of whinging on Steam forums from experienced Homeworld players because some of the mechanics have changed, but to me its the same game i remember because I only played it through once or twice.
    I think, amusingly, that this could be my GOTY.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

It's remastered so it can't be Game of the Year.

Besides, that title belongs to Star Wars: Battlefront.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    It's remastered so it can't be Game of the Year.

Besides, that title belongs to Star Wars: Battlefront.
    It can be my game of the year.
    I don't have to comply with your petty, corrupt human rules.

This game is a proof of how little RTS genre has evolved or improved over the past decade.

This 15 year old game still seems more "evolved" than most of the new copy-paste multi-player pandering RTS games out there.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

I find the camera and spacial awareness just horrific in this game. Other than that it's great.

I wonder, does this ship with manual? Original Homeworld had excellent manual, that included a lot of background info, you just had to read it to fully understand the story and enjoy it. I'm asking because I am curious, HW2 introduced a few minor retcons. IIRC in original HW manual it was stated that hyperspace engine of "Banana" mothership was an upscaled copy of Khar Toba's engine, while HW2 said that it was simply pulled from Khar Toba and installed into mothership. This is important for HW2's storyline. There are more, I think (like what Karan did after HW). Also, when HW2 remastered is out, I wonder if the Cataclysm will be considered canon. I think not...HW2 bluntly ignored all tech developed in it (like energy cannons, force fields, advanced ion cannons...ahh, who else remembers Dervish class multi-beam frigate?).

Quote Originally Posted by prithupaul View Post
    This game is a proof of how little RTS genre has evolved or improved over the past decade.

This 15 year old game still seems more "evolved" than most of the new copy-paste multi-player pandering RTS games out there.
    Genres never evolve. They've all been around enough to get a pretty rock solid definition. Their games just get some features and the companies move on to the next one. Homeworld was a 3d one.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The thing is that there is room for innovation and stuff, but publishers rush the games now.

Evidently becoming more like COD was "innovation" for Halo 4...

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    The thing is that there is room for innovation and stuff, but publishers rush the games now.

Evidently becoming more like COD was "innovation" for Halo 4...
    Well what you miss about Homeworld and what makes jockmcplop's reaction so legitimate is that in spite of the time passage nobody has even tried something similar to Homeworld. There has been absolutely no innovation along these lines. Nobody has even thought of taking Homeworld, cloning it, and adding their own innovations. Sins of a Solar Empire is the closest, and it's still 2D, just with system to system travel. There is no legitimately 3D RTS out there, except the Homeworld series. Twelve years, and nothing. So when they throw a remastered version out there, everyone who has played it is likely to do exactly what he did. I know I am. And everyone giving it a shot is going to have a very interesting experience. And the idea of a Homeworld 3? Who knows what this splash in the waters will do.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I still need to get Sins, they just released an Old Republic Era for the Sins of a Galactic Empire mod.

I see what you're saying Gaidin, and I get that. As I saw in several other places, most RTS's are "2.5D."

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by prithupaul View Post

It's no wonder there has been no evolution, because the RTS genre has all but died over the past decade.

Besides the Total War series (which isn't really a traditional RTS) the only important RTS I can think about in the last few years is Starcraft 2.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Better story-telling than modern games; cinematic, without feeling like the gameplay is just tacked on.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    It's no wonder there has been no evolution, because the RTS genre has all but died over the past decade.

Besides the Total War series (which isn't really a traditional RTS) the only important RTS I can think about in the last few years is Starcraft 2.
    Europa Universalis.

But yeah it has. Still, I cannot WAIT to buy this.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post

Well you'd be wrong since Company of Heroes has released all of its games in the last decade. Not to mention the Wargame series.

You guys all complain about refinement or development of the genere, you have that in the Wargame series but for the most part it has not been exceedingly popular precisely because it's evolved from the same tired old garbage that killed RTS's. Base building and resource gathering is not present in the game. And what do you hear about their next game Act of Aggression? It's going back to that formula in the hopes that it will draw a bunch of RTS fans to it. And already it has a lot more buzz around it than it's predecessors because people are 'hoping' it will make RTS's relevant again by bringing back a dumb old formula. Get real. Most RTS fans are mired in the features of the past and can't bring themselves to play new games cause they don't remind them of Warcraft, Starcraft, or Command and Conquer. The most common complaint I've heard from new players in Wargame is that the learning curve is too harsh for them, it doesn't play like a traditional point and click RTS, and it doesn't have a rock, paper, scissors formula. All of which is what it makes it great to me. But thanks to the lazy traditional RTS player we're going to get stuck with a tired old system in the next release. Yay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast