Thread: Unit Recruitment lost with Upgrade?

Default Unit Recruitment lost with Upgrade?

I'm not sure if the system is working exactly as it is supposed to, but every time I upgrade a military building (such as the barracks) I lose the ability to recruit the units from the former building. In standard M2 you still would have access to the lower tier units (if not gaining a greater recruitment pool for them). Is this standard to the game or have I done something to screw up the Mod?

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Default Re: Unit Recruitment lost with Upgrade?

What factions did this happen to you as? And does it happen ever time you play those factions?

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

@ JanissaryCaide

While I know some factions go for the specialization route, forcing the player to build one structure or another, the only main faction I know that loses the ability to recruit lower tier units are the Darknuts. This seems to be an intentional change as before it was possible to spam Darknut units (and Initiates, the first Darknut unit, are likely overpowered for what they are), however they have gained the ability to recruit randomized mercenaries as well as recruit Dishonored units after some battle defeats.

After a quick glance through the .txt file, I see Hyrule loses Swordsmen Recruits after upgrading, but retains everything afterwards. In addition, Lanayru, Labrynna, and Fairies have some of their specialization structures disguised as upgrades, so upgrading will grant you new units but you will lose out on the previous.
    Hibernation State: Playing Nintendo games and working on personal projects.

@Eldren
    I had it occur with Labrynna, Ordona and the Darknuts; and yes after I reinstalled to try and see if there was an issue there I still was having the issue.
    @SirMark9 has pointed out for me this is standard for the Darknuts so I'm not worried about them now. But what all qualifies as a specialization structure for Labrynna? I'm losing access to even my basic Borderguards and Pathfinders when I upgrade my barracks once.

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by JanissaryCaide View Post
    @Eldren
    I had it occur with Labrynna, Ordona and the Darknuts; and yes after I reinstalled to try and see if there was an issue there I still was having the issue.
    @SirMark9 has pointed out for me this is standard for the Darknuts so I'm not worried about them now. But what all qualifies as a specialization structure for Labrynna? I'm losing access to even my basic Borderguards and Pathfinders when I upgrade my barracks once.
    The Explorer Outpost -> Homeland Security is one hidden specialization. You will lose your Borderguards, Pioneers, and Pathfinders to gain Homeguards, Knights of Ambi, and the Palace Watch instead. Hidden specialization structures may have been implemented in this manner in an attempt to bypass engine limitations.

Then, the Tech Depot can only upgrade into one structure, the two choices being the Gunnery Range (Gunners & Cannons) or Garage (Mechs & Steam Tanks). Once you choose one, you will lose out on the other choice for that settlement. So, if you want access to both sets of units, you will need two settlements with the different recruitment structures.

I know the Tech Trees in HTW are not that well explained and not even fully implemented. You can see the plans for the finished product on Hyrule: Total War Wiki, and can look up Labrynna's Tech Tree on there as well. Please note that some structures may be missing or lacking faction-specific flavor, and research is instead simulated by increasing build time and rupee cost of a building instead of requiring the research itself.
    Hibernation State: Playing Nintendo games and working on personal projects.

Thank you for the quick responses and all the help! Really appreciate the explanation for my misunderstanding.