Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Submod] Battle Dynamics Reworked for DEI (Mar 07 Update)

Default Re: [Submod] Battle Dynamics Reworked for DEI (Feb 07 Update)

With the last tweaks BDR became a little slower, but as challenging as before. Worth a try.

Hey mate, I have that file that is a compatible bridge between BDR nd my siege mod, however I am waiting for you to produce a final version, or at least one where you feel happy with the balance to publish it. Right now I will proceed to check if the latest changes affect that file

I started Sparta campaign with this mod on hard campaign/normal battle and I'm enjoying it, the battles seem more challenging and I like the battle speed.
    The things that I would prefer to be changed in this mod:
    -units movement speed (I dont like seeing heavy infantry like super heavy hoplites walking so hastily like office clerks hurrying somewhere - it breaks the immersion for me)
    -did you nerf pikemen? They seem to be very weak (I just played a siege battle and had 1 group of levy pikemen block passage, they were destroyed by 1 group of militia hoplites in a face-to-face battle, I dont think levy pikemen should lose to militia hoplites like this.)

Afaik Alex has not touched any balance outside of armour bonus to shields, hp, and melee defence, all balance is more or less as the DeI team have left it. I could be wrong.

As for the speed you get used to it, before units were chewing through each other at light speed, the fights are slower now but the tempo of battle is maintained via unit speed.

You are right, Grigal: a typo while tweaking the phalanx formation (shield defense x2 instead of x3) was the cause of the probelm. Fixed and updated now. Let's take the opportunity to talk a little more about pikmen. They should be damn good as a defensive unit, but not kill more then falxmen. In DeI, pikemen have way too much offensive power.To compensate that, DeI made them superweak on the rear/flanks. Thing is: pikemen switch to swords at close range and have average melee defense and good armor, so no need to make them that retard when not attacked from the front: they just draw swords and fight at close quarters. Besides, in BDR flank/rear attack are unusual, except if you outnumber the enemy by far: you need your units to hold your lines, and AI react better to flank attempts. So, I have reduced the offensive power of the pikemen by a lot, but increased their staying power and reduced their weakness from rear/flanks. An average pikmen unit with phalanx enabled can hold an elite swordmen for like 20 minutes (that's a lot, most battles at BDR last around 15 minutes), but will not kill that much. Elite pikemen will hold even better, and in long run will eventually beat the elite swordmen. Try the standard and elite greek pikemen vs Preatorians (1v1) at custom battles to see yourself.
    Last edited by Alexandre Lange; February 10, 2015 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdrakelive View Post
    Hey mate, I have that file that is a compatible bridge between BDR nd my siege mod, however I am waiting for you to produce a final version, or at least one where you feel happy with the balance to publish it. Right now I will proceed to check if the latest changes affect that file
    This version is final... until it is not anymore, like any other mod. Anyway, structural changes are done, we will work only with fixes and eventual tweaks now. I must say, however, that I am considering reduce a little unit speeds. Among other things (like people saying units are too fast), it's difficult to set a proper distance for precursor javelins/pila throw when units charging each other aproach that fast. Or we set them to throw from too far away or they will release the javelins/pila at 5 feet from the target's nose; neither is a good option.
    Last edited by Alexandre Lange; February 10, 2015 at 06:49 PM.

Default Re: [Submod] Battle Dynamics Reworked for DEI (Feb 10 Update)

More challenge. right ? But Fort defence is easier than DEI. Maybe By reducing HP units are more vulnerable to ranged weapon?

Yes and no, ranged is going to be slightly toned down from what I understand, but melee is in a pretty good spot. Sieging even forts can be a nightmare; in this mod you are going to take casualties and those towers can take a serious toll, I've found myself really only fighting the fights I know I have an edge so keep it in mind.

This is an incredible work you have done. Thanks a lot. I was looking for such a wonder!

I just tweaked it a little bit and now that's perfect for me (increasing hit_chance and reducing unit speed). Battles are more fun and are no more boring! (Lonking at soldiers unable to kill each other was not fun) Now this is what I call Total war, a true massacre ah ah ah

Keep it up to date please.

This mod is great I like it more than KAM experimental mod tbh

To my taste ranged units need to be toned down (just a little) I'm in a campaing with suebi and hell these ranged unit hurt a lot One time I even managed to win a lost battle just runing and shooting with my ranged units.

Towers are too deadly I like them to be deadly but in the time one of my unit (full of men) tried to capture it the tower just killed all of my 200 mens!

I'm liking this mod a lot battles are massacres and I don't have the 300 loses and 4000 kills anymore now is more in line with 2000 losses and 2500 kills And that it's great!

Btw now that in this mod we don't have armour anymore... What about armour blacksmiths? Are them useless now?

As I said, I am pretty much certain that Alexandre is in the process of toning down ranged figures and possibly unit speed too. The aim is to keep up the challenge, increasing battle time ever so slightly and maintaining similar casualty rates, no easy task, but his work has proven genius so far, hang in there guys, total war is on the up and up now.

@PiscisFerro: Armors still there, and all bonuses applies, but UI shows the total damage mitigation (armor added to it) of a given unit instead of just armor. You can read about damage mitigation at the oppening post.

About towers - I don't see why a tower should have magic superdamaging fire arrows (even when it's raining): it's just archers in a tower! So, the new BDR towers will shoot regular arrows.

Final tests with the new version. Soon your dreams will come true, guys. Hold on just a little more.

Default Re: [Submod] Battle Dynamics Reworked for DEI (Feb 14 Update)

BDR Major Update. All people wishes came true. Many tweaks, some fixes and... a bônus. Run to the opening post!

I want to thank you guys for all the support and feedback. As you can notice, I hear you. We bulid BDR together. It's for you. Enjoy it!

As somebody who has tested it, and often spoken about the ever elusive 'sweet spot' I think its been found.

Battles vs. levies are slaughters, as they should be, though I have held out towns with my inferior lot vs a superior foe using tactics and defenses.
    Battles vs. similar armies are a challenge, my last, lasted 19 minutes, I slew 4000 of them and lost 2500 of my own, do note, i run 31 unit Stacks. I have made mistakes against similar level armies and been smashed far quicker as I could not hold my lines and paid for it.

I am sure that if anything glaring comes up Alex will be onto it, but this is the best this mod has been, get ready!

Tested with the most recent update and so far works great.

Archers and towers have been fixed, battles work perfect, can't really offer any negative feedback as I cannot find any negatives so far.

Currently started a fresh campaign as Sparta and everything is extremely enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by PiscisFerro View Post
    This mod is great I like it more than KAM experimental mod tbh

To my taste ranged units need to be toned down (just a little) I'm in a campaing with suebi and hell these ranged unit hurt a lot One time I even managed to win a lost battle just runing and shooting with my ranged units.

Towers are too deadly I like them to be deadly but in the time one of my unit (full of men) tried to capture it the tower just killed all of my 200 mens!

I'm liking this mod a lot battles are massacres and I don't have the 300 loses and 4000 kills anymore now is more in line with 2000 losses and 2500 kills And that it's great!

Btw now that in this mod we don't have armour anymore... What about armour blacksmiths? Are them useless now?
    What do you like more? Both look very similar in their concepts. Can't test them myself, I'm waiting for my new video card. Total carnage sub-submod sounds great tho.

kruma's Avatar Civis

so what are the actual changes to the last release?

Alexandre tweaked ranged damage(toned it down), unit speed and the towers from sieges and forts from what we can see. War dogs may have also been reduced to mitigate spam exploitation.

Ranged as now should be viewed like this:

Slingers, good vs. anything but 'damage over time'.
    Javelins, use these vs armored targets for the best results.
    Arrows, good vs. low armor/shielded targets.

Alexandre Lange, do you still have the Feb 10 pack? I liked it more (personal opinion). Thanks

Sorry, benlesagedu, I don't.

If you wanna faster paced battles, just increase melee_hit_chance_base at kv_rules table (it is 15 now, used to be 23 in previous BDR versions; anything above 20 will increase the killrate by a good amount). The majority of changes in the last update are related to balance and fixes: very important but not game experience changer.

kruma: I will rewrite the mod description as soon as I gather the strenght to do that. Last three days was only of work and modding (hours and hours), almost no sleep. I have an extended hollyday next few days, so I will relax and have some fun. For now, try BDR to exaustion and bring me your feedback, please.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast