Thread: The Conquest of Gaul

Kirock7

I went to Borders today and looked for I, Claudius.. but was unable to find it... so while there I bought the Penquin Classics version of The Conquest of Gaul by Caesar (translated by S.A. Handford with revisions by Jane Gardner).
    I'm on page 42.
    This book is so descriptive... and so well suited for setting an atmosphere for playing the anxiously awaited R:TW. As a newb to the game series and as a recovering hater (of the study of) history (really more of just a boredom with).... I highly recommend it.

More later...

EDIT: I've now reached page 74, having finished the first two books (I feel like I'm writing in the same style as in the book :-)
    The battle with the Nervii on the Sambre is so exciting as to make my newb-like heart flutter with adrenalin.
    I'm learning quite a bit reading through this book. Equipment, strategies, formations... even down to how these large armies where supplied and bivouacked.
    Caesar has shown himself to be a great commander. Strong, decisive, intelligent and compassionate. It is no wonder to me now why the man has lived for so long in the annals of history.

I now began Book III "The First Rebellion".

More later...

Kedyn

Sounds like a good read. It's going on my list. :

Civitate

Probably his best work. I'm not a fan of his Civil Wars account due to the fact that he made my research intolerably miserable in deciphering which bits where true or not. Not that his Gallic commentaries aren't biased either, but extremely less so than his other work (which was believed to be completed by Hirtius after his death).

Highly recommended.
    Under the patronage of the Great GodEmperor Nicholas. Fallen Triumvir - Departed since 28-05-2005.

'Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.' - Herman Goering

In Vino Veritas - 'In wine there is truth'
    Patron of: Aves, Arcaliea