Thread: An appeal for town/city models

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default An appeal for town/city models

Greetings Invasio Barbarorum team!

I just want to start by saying how much I appreciate all the hard work you've done on these mods. The Vandals and Brittaniae campaigns look fantastic. However, I can't help but notice that during sieges, the settlements are basically the vanilla models from Medieval II, with some re-skinning of the walls. This is fine, but I'm quite picky, and the thing I loved about Medieval II was how good the settlements looked with the main cathedral (really completed the picture). Would you guys be able to add Greco-Roman temples on a genuine acropolis? That would look so awesome and authentic! Either that or late Roman Christian churches.

For ideas about temples, take a look at this mod that is in the works, Natus ob Imperium:

The settlement just simply looks stunning, the temples look amazing, and it's the first mod I've ever seen where soldiers can actually walk up the stairs to the center of the acropolis itself! Now that's realistic and immersive. Plus, this settlement looks SO MUCH better than the cursory ones made for De Bello Mundi and Europa Barbarorum II. Those cities (generous to say that considering how barren they look) are really undeveloped and it's clear that the modders put a lot of effort into making the units look great, but not so much the settlements.

Please, if some of you here have the time and skills to tackle this, consider re-skinning settlements for IB II to make them look both immersive and authentic, plus awesome. Maybe someone from your team could even try to contact the Natus ob Imperium guys to ask for permission to use their settlements.

As for late Roman churches instead of the classic pagan temple structures, perhaps the Basilica of San Vitale (6th century), Italy, is a good example?

Or, even older than that, the Aula Palatina of Trier, Germany, built in the early 4th century during the reign of Constantine:

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: An appeal for town/city models

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Greetings Invasio Barbarorum team!

I just want to start by saying how much I appreciate all the hard work you've done on these mods. The Vandals and Brittaniae campaigns look fantastic. However, I can't help but notice that during sieges, the settlements are basically the vanilla models from Medieval II, with some re-skinning of the walls. This is fine, but I'm quite picky, and the thing I loved about Medieval II was how good the settlements looked with the main cathedral (really completed the picture). Would you guys be able to add Greco-Roman temples on a genuine acropolis? That would look so awesome and authentic! Either that or late Roman Christian churches.

For ideas about temples, take a look at this mod that is in the works, Natus ob Imperium:

The settlement just simply looks stunning, the temples look amazing, and it's the first mod I've ever seen where soldiers can actually walk up the stairs to the center of the acropolis itself! Now that's realistic and immersive. Plus, this settlement looks SO MUCH better than the cursory ones made for De Bello Mundi and Europa Barbarorum II. Those cities (generous to say that considering how barren they look) are really undeveloped and it's clear that the modders put a lot of effort into making the units look great, but not so much the settlements.

Please, if some of you here have the time and skills to tackle this, consider re-skinning settlements for IB II to make them look both immersive and authentic, plus awesome. Maybe someone from your team could even try to contact the Natus ob Imperium guys to ask for permission to use their settlements.

As for late Roman churches instead of the classic pagan temple structures, perhaps the Basilica of San Vitale (6th century), Italy, is a good example?

Or, even older than that, the Aula Palatina of Trier, Germany, built in the early 4th century during the reign of Constantine:

Hi Roma_Victrix

Currently we are using the building models from De Bello Mundo. I cannot speak for everyone, but we are concentrating on making the mod fun and re-playable first. Many of the refinements will probably be worked on in future versions of the mod.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ages of Darkness II has a lot of custom buildings and cities, but it won't be out for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    Hi Roma_Victrix

Currently we are using the building models from De Bello Mundo. I cannot speak for everyone, but we are concentrating on making the mod fun and re-playable first. Many of the refinements will probably be worked on in future versions of the mod.
    That's too bad, but I understand completely. These things are time-consuming. In the meantime, our member xHolyCrusaderx has convinced me to dabble with modding in settlement development. I will do my best to contribute.

Get a load of the new Roman city models in Europa Barbarorum II, v. 2.1b! The Invasio Barbarorum II team seriously needs to consider importing these and collaborating with the EB II team on getting these settlements into IB II.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

I am actually adding in the De Bello Mundo models in my copy of IB2FD. I am curious as to how they will work.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Actually, EBII city models are (beside barbarian city models which are EB2 own creation) modified and improved version of de Bello Mundi models. They are definatelly worthy a try if you can get the permition,

Getting permission shouldn't be some special task. Just talk to Rafkos over at EB II.

I just posted this over at the EB II forum. Hopefully these pictures will help persuade the IB II team to adopt them and incorporate them into their mod.

WESTERN GREEK HUGE CITY

MORE PICTURES:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

WESTERN GREEK MINOR/LARGE CITY

MORE PICTURES:

WESTERN GREEK LARGE TOWN

ROMAN HUGE CITY

MORE PICTURES:

ROMAN MINOR/LARGE CITY

MORE PICTURES:

ROMAN LARGE TOWN

EASTERN/SEMITIC HUGE CITY

MORE PICTURES:

EASTERN/SEMITIC MINOR/LARGE CITY

MORE PICTURES

EASTERN/SEMITIC LARGE TOWN

PTOLEMAIC EGYPTIAN HUGE CITY (towns, large towns, cities, and large cities use standard Eastern Greek models)

EASTERN GREEK HUGE CITY

MORE PICTURES:

EASTERN GREEK MINOR/LARGE CITY

MORE PICTURES:

EASTERN GREEK LARGE TOWN

BARBARIAN CELTIC MINOR/LARGE CITY

MORE PICTURES:

BARBARIAN CELTIC LARGE TOWN

I think the problem here is that EB II is using buildings 500 years before our mod and DMB has aged the Roman buildings accordingly to the 5th century. The EB II Roman models might be suitable for the Eastern Roman Empire only.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

The infrastructure of buildings changed dramatically from the 4th century BC to the 5th century AD. I have a book about roman fortifications in the 3rd and 4th century AD and they look quite different from those of EB II and DBM. For a change towers where round and temples looked like today christian churches, many of them with a round coppola. Maybe the barbarian settlements will be good as a Pictish or Gaelic hill fort.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Melitensis View Post
    The infrastructure of buildings changed dramatically from the 4th century BC to the 5th century AD. I have a book about roman fortifications in the 3rd and 4th century AD and they look quite different from those of EB II and DBM. For a change towers where round and temples looked like today christian churches, many of them with a round coppola. Maybe the barbarian settlements will be good as a Pictish or Gaelic hill fort.

Cheers
    Correct Reno. And these factions will not be able to build beyond a large town. The building upgrade system is based on IB Brittaniae so there is will be no way the Picts or Gaels can build beyond a large town. They will be able to build pretty much everything needed to meet historically their faction's military and economy. The buildings will therefore depict a Celtic-Barbarian looking settlement. I do like the EB II Barbarian settlements a lot. They do have a Gododdin Britain hill fort look
    Last edited by Riothamus; February 17, 2016 at 08:58 AM.

Yes, those hill fort are fantastic. But aren't they also taken from the DBM mod, or are they new ones?.

Cheers

Yes, those hill fort are fantastic. But aren't they also taken from the DBM mod, or are they new ones?.

Cheers
    I believe they were made by xHolyCrusader for EB II; DBM, if I remember correctly, simply had flat settlements for the Celts, with no oppida to be found.

At the very least, if you can't draft graphic artists in time, I think you guys should use the EB II Roman settlements for the Eastern Roman Empire. As for the Western Roman Empire, you could try to take a stab at creating new settlements from the ground up, from scratch. I'm afraid there's no other mod out there with unique late Western Roman style settlements. You could, of course, say to hell with historical reality and rely on the custom settlements of other mods like this:

Just imagine it: every WRE huge city will have the towering defenses of Minas Tirith. Who but the true King of Gondor and the White Wizard Gandalf can save the day against the Hun and the Visigoth?

As you i am a great LOTR fan, but using Minas Tirith as a WRE settlement will be hugely unrealistic. But non the less they are fantastic textures. A long time ago I was going to give settlement texturing a go, but real life demands prohibited me from taking such a step.

Cheers.

As you i am a great LOTR fan, but using Minas Tirith as a WRE settlement will be hugely unrealistic. But non the less they are fantastic textures. A long time ago I was going to give settlement texturing a go, but real life demands prohibited me from taking such a step.

Cheers.
    Thank the heavens for modders like Rafkos, then, who was one of the chief graphic artists who improved the DBM settlements for EB II. If the EB II team had just two or three others like him they could surely create masterpieces like TATW. It's such a shame that a fantasy game gets so much more attention than hardcore historical games like IB II and EB II, or Medieval II mods set after antiquity like Stainless Steel. At the very least, TATW, and its submods DAC and MOS, are badass looking.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

As far as I know EB2 barbarian settlements (or at least part of them) were made from scratch by Red Devil in 2013 or 2014, later he left the team and the settlemetns were tweaked together with DBM settlements used for other culture by xHolyCrusader and Allin (wall textures).

Regarding DBM barbarian settlements, I do not think they are entirely flat either (IIRC, at least the lover tiers have keep on a hill) but I can not confirm for sure as I gave DBM only a briefl try about a year ago.

Here is the preview of original settlements made by Red Devil. The picutes are not working any more but you can see at least hte desriptions. There were a version of the preview somwhere in TWC and org. but I can not find it at the moment.
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/europa-barbarorum-2/news/settlement-mini-preview

Last edited by demagogos nicator; February 18, 2016 at 05:15 AM.

Creating hill forts isn't difficult to do. We have done that in IB 2 Britanniae. An example would be Alt Clut or Din
    Eidyn settlements. Its modifying the heights and regions maps to a certain point

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see some authentic late-antique Roman cities, c. 300-450 AD. This mod still seems like the perfect opportunity to achieve that.