Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rise of Persia Beta 2 Released!

Default Rise of Persia Beta 2 Released!

We have put together a new version of Rise of Persia, which is a total rework of what we released half a year ago. It features twice as many playable factions, with a total of 155 units, a more indepth AOR system for the entire campaign (no placeholders armies anymore!), a reworked campaign map, and much much more.

Introduction
    The Rise of Persia Mod is set in the 6th century BC, a most fascinating era of mankind’s history. It was the time of four grand empires having divided the known world from the Mediterranean Sea to the River Oxus in the east among themselves after the seemingly invincible Assyrian might had been broken. All of them had ventured through great struggles in their past for becoming the dominant superpower deciding the fate of all mankind.

In the east lay the vast dominion of the Median lords, the undisputed masters of the Iranian Plateau, ruling territory from Asia Minor to the most distant places of east Iran. These dreaded Iranian warriors had overcome the mighty Assyrians, the Kimmerians and the Skythians, they had forged an empire by the means of war that nobody could match in size or power. Yet their wise kings had now been avoiding open conflict on all fronts, making alliances with the Babylonian heir of the Assyrian realm.

Babylon, located deep in the cradle of civilization, had finally revolted successfully against the Assyrian murderers and flattened their seat of power, utterly destroying their capital Niniveh in retaliation. Babylon’s Great Kings took most of their territory including that of the rebellious Judah kingdom in the Levant. Brute force had made them submit, but clemency – and captivity – ensured their loyalty. Babylon and Media had been friends since the Assyrian Downfall, but there was enough space left to conquer.

The shadow of the Assyrians was long and their final end had also freed the time-honoured Kingdom of Egypt. The 26th Dynasty had successfully reclaimed its inherent place among the super powers again. Although their great Pharaohs had to face severe problems due to growing mercenary influence and also from the threats posed by Libyans, Greeks and Babylon, they were able to prevail over all these.

An ally of Egypt was Lydia, the most powerful Nation of Asia Minor. Their war-mongering kings of the Mermnads’ Dynasty hold sway with an iron fist over the lands between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean Sea. Nobody had ever defeated them and their lance-wielding cavalry is as feared as Iranian archers or Greek hoplites. Even the gargantuan Medes could not defeat them and the Greeks of Ionia suffered the same fate as the rest of Asia Minor.

These four super powers came to terms of trade and co-existed more or less peacefully, despite some grim tensions between them regarding their bellicose past. Now was also the time when the Greek city states grew to a potentially serious contender for these powers. If an ambitious city state managed to master all of Hellas then a new and dangerous power would threaten to unbalance the tense equilibrium of the four empires. But while the colony of Kyrene in north Africa could hold their own even against the Pharaoh, the Ionian Greeks were in submission. However, the true reason of their rise was not war, but trade making them rich.
    On the other end of the known worlds were the Indians, not yet involved in any of the others’ business. The heavy incursions of the northern nomads, which had devastated Asia and Europe in the past were over, nevertheless everyone needed to watch them carefully. In the south, Nubians and Arabians were in danger of being conquered by the expanding powers, who had decided not to engage each other.

Nothing seemed to stop their tetrarchy, but the world changed forever, when one man stood up against the Medes. His name was Kuruš and he was the leader of the ignominious Persian tribe. He vanquished the Medes, crushed the Lydians and conquered Babylon. He created the Persian Empire, one of the most splendid the world has ever seen. However, at the beginning of our mod he is just a tribal leader, alone against the super powers.

The year is 559 BC and the Rise of Persia is about to begin.

Screenshots:

Faction Icons, Campaign Loading Screen, Win Conditions, Agent Mod:

Bāb-Īlu, Kemet, Lydia, and Parsa on Campaign map:

Battle Screenshots:

Features List
    -Two new factions: Kyrene and Illyria
    -Redone Campaign Map, including four unconquerable regions
    -New Campaign Map textures
    -Faction-specific Win Conditions
    -AOR Recruitment System
    -155 units, divided over 18 factions
    -'Agents Mod' by Spurius - unlocks higher-level diplomats, spies, and assassins
    -Traits and Ancillaries system 'GAFH' - by Malrubius of the TTO
    -New User Interface
    -New Loading Screens
    -New Faction symbols, using a Hexagon shape
    -New Strat/Battle map banners
    -And more

Installation Instructions and Download Links
    -Make a clean copy of RTW version 1.5
    -Install 'Rise of Persia Beta 2' in its root directory with our installer (example: 'C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War')
    -Check for updates in our Updates thread!
    -Play!

Download Links:
    Riseofpersia.com (Beta 2 is outdated - link redirects to ROP v2.1)

Thanks to:

The Team:

Nero666 - Lead Developer
    Rez - Lead Historian, Texts
    Goscinio - Lead 3D artist
    FliegerAD - All round Historian
    Zenith Darksea - Greek historian
    Spurius - Jack of all trades
    Celtic Man - Musician
    Kallikratis - 3D Artist
    Kasetuh - Map Refinements
    Vikrant1986 - 3D artist

Special thanks:
    CA - for making the wonder that is RTW
    Faeghi - Creator of Rise of Persia
    Rome Total Realism - for allowing the use of several models
    Europa Barbarorum - For their animations pack
    Malrubius and the TTO - for creating the GAFH (Genetics, Aging, Family and Health) mod
    Dark Fenrir - For several models and skins
    Lupus_Gr - For several faction Icons
    Swampthing - For his stats balancing system
    Uranos - For Mapping
    King Louise Assurbanipal - For skins/Models
    Alxcruel - For Skins/Models
    TheLordskinner - For original Forums
    Julius caesar - For coding
    Irish Lord - For Skins
    Bananafish - For research
    Swordfish - For early Website development and Music
    Darkragnar - For Indian Music
    Mr Jones - For research
    VandalCarthage - Historian
    wipeout140 - For coding
    Antiochus Epiphanes - For skinning
    Lentonius - For skin/model
    Pinarius - for his horse models

Conditions of use:

This mod is for personal use only, anyone who wishes to use parts of our mod in a modification of their own must obtain the express permission of the full Rise of Persia team first.
    Enjoy!

Contact Information

IRC Channel: #riseofpersia on irc.quakenet.org
    Official Forums: http://www.riseofpersia.com/forums
    Subforums: TWC.net, SCC.com, TR.net, MedievalTW.com
    Last edited by Nero666; November 04, 2007 at 03:04 PM.
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

Default Re: Rise of Persia Beta 2 Released!

Awesome! can you give us more screenshots?
    "Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live." - Mark Twain

"I am against nature. I don't dig nature at all. I think nature is very unnatural. I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can't touch with decay." - Bob Dylan

"Faith in God means believing, absolutely, in something with no proof whatsoever. Faith in humanity means believing, absolutely, in something with a huge amount of proof to the contrary. WE are the true believers." - Joss Whedon

what if we dled the first beta? Will we have to make a new back up , delete the old back up RTW 1.5 and redownload ? Not to say , I have no problem with that , you make the mod installation as simple as pointing where it needs to be installed and your done .

Cha0sMarin3's Avatar Semisalis

Oh no! Another mod that was on my wish list has come out! The third within a mont of time! I've got to find the time to play them all... And tomorrow, i've also got to play MTW2... Diffucult times lie ahead :wink: .

P.S. ROP doesnt use the - mod switch does it? :hmmm:
    Last edited by Cha0sMarin3; November 09, 2006 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scannerfish
    what if we dled the first beta? Will we have to make a new back up , delete the old back up RTW 1.5 and redownload ? Not to say , I have no problem with that , you make the mod installation as simple as pointing where it needs to be installed and your done .
    Nope you should be able to install it over the old one. Just point the installer to that dir, and le_voila. Any future patches won't need such pointing, this installer makes a registry setting so any updates will be absolute no-brainers.

[edit for the other updated post ] No we don't use the mod switch, see the readme for a more detailed explanation as to why we decided not to, but has to do with our packing.

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

Congrats team!
    Downloading now!
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

Titus's Avatar Ordinarius

NICE!! Great job rise of Persia team! Now to fine the time to play all these mods that came out today!

Grecian's Avatar Foederatus

Downloading now thanks for your hard work

great work!! download later after i return home.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

YES! YES YES! WAHOO! YEAH! HOORAY! CANT WAIT IM SO EXCITED i need to change my pants(PEED MY PANTS!)

so... uhhh wheres the link?
    EDIT: nvm jk thanks lookin forward to playing it. ohh i cant wait and the dl is sooooooooooooo slow.......
    Last edited by Paul d; November 10, 2006 at 12:25 AM.

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

at rise of persia website

Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

Dear rise of persia team,
    your mod was the first RTW mod i ever experienced without funny lil glitches and poorly made icons ect. I want to thank you for the positive experience you have given me and I fully support your cause. o yeah and I got a question what do you guys do for a living, and who funds this(if anybody does just asking...)

Found a biiig problem. I am on 1024 by 768 resolution and when i ran rop beta 2 i found it to be terribly off centered and oversized i cant even start a game. please tell me what I should do or if i cannot do anything fix it immediately
    EDIT: the game works fine on 800X600, well not really because the strategy map cant so im screwed unless you guys resize rise of perisa for 1024X768
    Last edited by Paul d; November 10, 2006 at 01:02 AM.

sweet!! something to keep me busy til mtw2 comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul d
    Found a biiig problem. I am on 1024 by 768 resolution and when i ran rop beta 2 i found it to be terribly off centered and oversized i cant even start a game. please tell me what I should do or if i cannot do anything fix it immediately
    EDIT: the game works fine on 800X600, well not really because the strategy map cant so im screwed unless you guys resize rise of perisa for 1024X768
    Hi Paul, sorry to hear that - didn't hear anything like it before, though.

Few things to try: the shortcut on your desktop uses a few switches, -ne and -nm, for running the game in a window, and to turn off the movies, which are vanilla, so we don't want them.

What you could do is go to the folder where you installed the beta and run the game straight, without any shortcut. See what happens then.

If the problems continue, please post a bugreport with screeny etc in our own forums at:

http://www.riseofpersia.com/forums/index.php

great work lads, really appriciating your efforts to deliver us this magnificent work.

Gentlemen and Ladies (if any!),

Excellent work!

Continue.

Hellas1- Don't forget to include the music I gave!!!!!

Tooz's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Rise of Persia Beta 2 Released! "Download incomplete or corrupted..."

Can you guys give me an alternate link--I keep receivng the "incomplete/corrupted..." error message. This is almost cruel considering how long I have waited for this mod! I loved Bete 1 and look forward to the new factions. HELP!!!

Default Re: Rise of Persia Beta 2 Released! "Download incomplete or corrupted..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tooz
    Can you guys give me an alternate link
    http://www.riseofpersia.com/mirror1/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast