Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Attila Computer & Hardware Recommendations

Default Re: Build a PC for Attila TW / Hardware Recommendations (Currently Updating)

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    I am 100% certain 970(3.5gb fast ram + 500mb slow ram) will not last till 2017 or 2018 for general gaming, but 980(costs about 550$ us dollars) will. So does a 290x though. 3 AAA games already released with 4gb vram requirements for high graphical settings. people would falsely tell you that if you game in 1080p that you don't need alot of vram, but the texture settings is what eats it up not just resolution. If you can, I highly recommend waiting till start of summer, end of Q2 2015 for the release of amd 3XX cards. even if you must get 980, it would push down the price to 300$(usd) or less.

witcher 3 min requirement is i5 2500k + 660 gtx 6gb ram. is your cpu a k version where you can oc it to 4.4 ghz or higher? cuz if you can oc it to 4.4 ghz, should be easy with sandy b cpus. it would last you till skylake cpu is out. for gpu, how is the price difference between 280x vs 290 in your country? in the usa 280x is 220 vs 240 for 290. 20$ for 30% performance difference. I would 1000% go for the 290.

about the lag in big battles. do you still have it in rome 2 emperor edition? patch 16? cuz blobbing is largely gone with formation attack and how units all stop dead in their tracks once they make contact with enemy units(which I hate very much) rome 2 already uses 4 cpu threads but still mainly uses 1 core, so single core ipc is very important. even if you have battles where you have 40 vs 40, a 4.4 ghz i5 sb cpu should handle it with no problems. I have no idea if unoced i7 2600 is the problem or your 550 ti.

wait 4 months to get the current top end cards at 40% discounts or splurge and buy the 390x in june! for 50% or more performance over 290x, about 40% over 980. I would wait. I have a 290 when I bought it during the holidays(at the time I had no idea 3xx were increasing performance by such a large amount) for cheap, but I would still 100% upgrade again in june if the performance is really 50% or more. 50% is my upgrade threshold.
    Well i dunno if have it in rome 2 emperor edition, last time i played was between patch 10 and 14 and i didn't need 40 vs 40 to lag,20 vs 20 was enough, my cpu isn't k version so i can't overclock it.
    I guess i will wait to see the price for 390x,top of the line gpu is normally double or triple the price when its recently released though i better find a job to pay for it

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Build a PC for Attila TW / Hardware Recommendations (Currently Updating)

if you can't afford the 390x, get the 980 when it releases, the 980 price would drop to around 300 usd.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier, but I just found some GTX 670 benchmark results for Attila. It's satisfactory at high settings (~30+ fps), struggles with max (aka ultra?) settings, and falls on its face (as expected) at extreme. For reference, the GTX 760 and R9 270X should be around the same area in performance.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

I haven't been here for a while, I hope everyone has been helping out the new comers

Just updated the Very Good tier list. GTX 960 is the best card in that price range for USA customers, but it's likely that everywhere else in the world that this card still costs too much (eg. like here in AUS), so I've made the R9 280 the recommended, but put a note in the top about the 960. I've also opted for the Crucial MX100 instead of a Sandisk; the value of this drive is ridiculous.

Next tier will upgrade to an i5 I'll get working on that now.

Also, Attila is about to release!
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

I went ahead and built out the Entry tier for the OP:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston Savage 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($32.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($28.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $530.93
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

At this price point, you really need to compromise on a fancy case and full featured motherboard in exchange for maximizing gaming performance. The system above will outrun the systems up to the "good tier" on the OP, it just wont win any beauty contests. It wont max out Attila either, but it will get you playing at "quality" settings at the very least. Source: http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/2...ila/3#pagehead
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; February 17, 2015 at 01:15 AM.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Im looking to upgrade my rig at the moment, rather than build a whole new one. I only have three gigs of RAM, so obviously I need to get a bit more (Looking at 6-8 just to be good.)

Right now my two main concerns are my CPU and my GPU.

My CPU is an Intel Core i7 960. It's always run very well for me, but it is quite old and Im worried it's not good enough anymore. I haven't had any noticeable problems yet, and I haven't seen any games that use more than 50% of it in Task Manager, so maybe it's fine?

My GPU is an nVidia GTX MSI 650 2GB. I pretty much hate it. From what I understand, it's an okay middle of the line graphics card, but I've had nothing but trouble with it. I've had to underclock it be about -150 MHz, otherwise I'll get black screens and kernel errors. I thinking about getting the 960 here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487091

But I would prefer to get more opinions before dropping two hundred bucks on... Well, anything.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hey guys, it happens quite often that splenyi states investing in an i7 CPU is pretty useless for playing Rome 2, perhaps even Attila.

I am trying to figure out how true this still is and ran my Rome 2 hyperthreading test again - with stunning results.
    Have a look: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14366419

Today I will focus on testing Attila's multicore and hyperthreading capabilities and report them, in comparison to Rome 2 in the Attila benchmark thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    Im looking to upgrade my rig at the moment, rather than build a whole new one. I only have three gigs of RAM, so obviously I need to get a bit more (Looking at 6-8 just to be good.)

Right now my two main concerns are my CPU and my GPU.

My CPU is an Intel Core i7 960. It's always run very well for me, but it is quite old and Im worried it's not good enough anymore. I haven't had any noticeable problems yet, and I haven't seen any games that use more than 50% of it in Task Manager, so maybe it's fine?

My GPU is an nVidia GTX MSI 650 2GB. I pretty much hate it. From what I understand, it's an okay middle of the line graphics card, but I've had nothing but trouble with it. I've had to underclock it be about -150 MHz, otherwise I'll get black screens and kernel errors. I thinking about getting the 960 here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487091

But I would prefer to get more opinions before dropping two hundred bucks on... Well, anything.
    Hi Zebra, nice to meet you again.

I suggest you to keep the CPU as it is still a good one, especially with overclocking and a good aircooler. For the RAM I can recommend A-Data, Corsair, Kingston.

DDR 1600 MHz CL9 should be fitting as your CPU is not designed to support more than 1066 MHz interally anyway. Upgrading to 8 GB (2x4) makes sense though to enable the advantages of Dual-Channel.

However it is a 2 sided coin to invest into this RAM, you may use it for a new CPU as well like current i5 / i7 Devils Canyon, I think upgrading to a Devils Canyon in a year or two for a used one would be a good choice. So your investment on the RAM is not wasted in the future. If you plan to upgrade the CPU to a next gen it will only support DDR4, so your money is wasted then. So it is depending your future plans
    http://www.computerbase.de/2011-01/t...formancerating

The CPU is not the best anymore as you can see here in the comparison, this is why I suggest to Upgrade for a Devils Canyon in about 2 years.

For the GPU you should definitely wait for the GTX 960TI instead. The approximately price is about 250 € but it is only a bit slower than a "full" 970 and should have 4 GB VRAM bundled with a 256 bit memory bus, too.

Hope it helps you out.
    Last edited by alQamar; February 17, 2015 at 05:31 AM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    I went ahead and built out the Entry tier for the OP:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $530.93

At this price point, you really need to compromise on a fancy case and full featured motherboard in exchange for maximizing gaming performance. The system above will outrun the systems up to the "good tier" on the OP, it just wont win any beauty contests. It wont max out Attila either, but it will get you playing at "quality" settings at the very least. Source: http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/2...ila/3#pagehead
    - After seeing alQ's tests on core and HT performance, I'm almost convinced that an i3 is minimum. I might take you up on this one
    - Having 4GB of RAM in one stick is much cheaper, I'll copy that over too, good idea, along with a better priced HDD and lower tier MoBo. Money saved here can be poured into the CPU
    - Unfortunately I'm a strong believer in getting a good case. You'll have it for a long time, it'll last multiple upgrades and probably multiple builds too; plus it's partly responsible for thermals, noise, dust filtering (therefore the life expectancy of most components), and keeping your components protected from every other nasty thing out there I know it doesn't contribute to performance, but honestly, the Corsair 200R is probably the cheapest case I can recommend.
    - Final thing. That EVGA PSU is just 80+ certified. I think a PSU is incredibly important and I would never recommend something like that. Bronze is the lowest.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; February 17, 2015 at 06:11 AM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Lulz, 4xMSAA performance is completely borked for 7970 (probably for most ATI cards).

I can run almost everything @ max (and shadows on max performance because of CPU bottleneck) and get pretty good performance even on 2560x1440. But as soon as I activate 4xMSAA with everything else at very low I get single digit numbers in the benchmark, lol (CPU is a 4770K@4.3Ghz, RAM is 32GB @ 1866Mhz and OS is Win7-64 bit). It's also astonishing that CA overlooked to add a 2xMSAA mode (especially with SSAA that would be very useful).

Btw, Shogun 2 I can run with 4xSSAA (4xMSAA + SSAA mode in CCC) @ 2560x1440 with > 20fps.

CF also doesn't really work. If enabled I just get 2x50% utiliziation. Only when I use the generic AFR (alternate frame rating) profile I get a big performance boost from 2nd GPU but then there is heavy flickering.

AMD needs to update their drivers ASAP (their last driver release is from almost 3 months ago, lol). AMDs lack in driver skills will be the main reason for me to switch back to NVIDIA for my next GPU upgrade (I pretty much alternate between AMD and NVIDIA since 10 years). AMDs GPU hardware is better value from the specs but their drivers and software pretty much suck.
    Last edited by A Barbarian; February 17, 2015 at 06:26 AM.

Next month I'm going to buy a new PC. This is what I have in mind:
    Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ Quad Core
    NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT 840M
    RAM 16 GB
    HDD: DDR3L-1600 2x 8GB

What do you think? Is this a decent PC to play TW games in the next five years? If not, what do you recommend me?

My budget is +/- 1000€.

@Boicote
    If u can wait a little longer, it might be worth to wait for the update of the NVIDIA notebook GPUs line which should come out in the next weeks:
    http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-g...-architecture/

Hello everyone, i'm looking into playing Attila in ultra setting and i was wondering what sort of upgrade would i require to make in order to achieve such goal; currently, this is what i'm working with: Processor->AMD FX(tm)-6350 six core Processor 3.90 ghz, Ram-> 10.0 gb, graphic card-> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660. I thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    - After seeing alQ's tests on core and HT performance, I'm almost convinced that an i3 is minimum. I might take you up on this one
    - Having 4GB of RAM in one stick is much cheaper, I'll copy that over too, good idea, along with a better priced HDD and lower tier MoBo. Money saved here can be poured into the CPU
    - Unfortunately I'm a strong believer in getting a good case. You'll have it for a long time, it'll last multiple upgrades and probably multiple builds too; plus it's partly responsible for thermals, noise, dust filtering (therefore the life expectancy of most components), and keeping your components protected from every other nasty thing out there I know it doesn't contribute to performance, but honestly, the Corsair 200R is probably the cheapest case I can recommend.
    - Final thing. That EVGA PSU is just 80+ certified. I think a PSU is incredibly important and I would never recommend something like that. Bronze is the lowest.
    IDK, I was actually on the fence about G3258 vs the i3 4150. I went with the i3 4150 because out of the box it's a stronger performer and most people don't plan to overclock. The G3258 has a good amount of OC headroom and performs decently in R2TW when OC'd. I don't know how a OC'd G3258 would compare to the i3 4150.

Yeah, a solid case can do wonders for airflow, sound, and simply keeping your sanity when building/upgrading. But with such a tight budget, I had to go purpose-built for PC gaming only, and convenience/airflow/aesthetics came second. That said, the Fractal Design Core1100 offers a good value at that price point; it lacks a lot of the convenience features (e.g. thumb screws, tool-less brackets, cable management, sound dampening, etc.), but it does have USB 3.0 ports, rounded edges (wont cut up your fingers when working under the hood) and no frills aesthetic.

Regarding 80+ certification, the only difference between bronze and base 80+ is 2-5% efficiency @ 115V, don't know about 230V. I don't know if it's worth the jump, but here's the same machine witha 600W 80+ bronze PSU. The build below is only cheaper because of mail-in rebates (which I honestly don't like to consider as part of the price).

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($104.75 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($216.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $513.58
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; February 17, 2015 at 09:30 AM.

Here's my take on the "fair tier" at just over $650 USD.
    I threw some of the budget toward a Corsair 350D, doubled the amount of RAM, upgraded to a i5 4570 and a R9 280.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.89 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 280 3GB IceQ OC Video Card ($182.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $658.78

This will buy you a nice little multi-tasker with considerable gaming horsepower. If you want to maximize gaming performance, I'd drop the 350D for a case at about $40, then move that $40-50 savings toward the GPU budget, which opens us up for a R9 280X or GTX 960. The GTX 960 will yield higher Attila TW performance, but the 2GB of VRAM would likely hold you back in othe games.

My "good tier" recommendation:
    Same as above, just upped to a R9 290.

Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 290 4GB IceQ X² Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $725.79

My "very good tier" recommendation:

Same as above, just upped again to a GTX 970 since it runs Attila considerably better than its AMD counterparts.

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($328.99 @ Directron)
    Total: $804.79
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; February 17, 2015 at 11:29 AM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

- After seeing alQ's tests on core and HT performance, I'm almost convinced that an i3 is minimum
    I am not that sure I hope I will be able to test Attila in this regard. For Rome 2 even a single core CPU seem sufficient now, while to have an i3 was big advantage at release.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    For Rome 2 even a single core CPU seem sufficient now
    That's pretty amusing. Since CA wasn't able to code proper multi-threading they probably decided to reduce the number of threads and thus at least removed some thread synchronization overhead which can be quite significant.

dear friends (especially alQamar). is there a way of knowing what is the maximum amount of GHz that Attila uses in the extreme quallity settings per core? i noticed that , if we put overclocking out of the equation , many ivy bridge and haswell chips can turbo boost up to 3.8-4.0 GHz except i7 4970k which has a speed of 4.4 GHz in turbo mode. so is the i7 devils canyon the best CPU for the game out there?

Feedback from someone with a weak laptop. Lenovo g500 (i5-3230M 2.6 GHz, 4 GB RAM, GeForce GT 720M). In Rome 2 I had average 25 FPS with constang lags on both global and battle maps. It was unplayable.

I run Attila with lowest graphical settings, everything turned off, 1366*768, large unit size. I am getting stable 30 FPS at campaign map, stable 25 FPS in battles! If I look closely at intense combat the framerate drops to 15, but in general the game is very much playable, which I did not expect. In-game benchmark gave me 20 FPS average, but actual performance is better.

What a pleasant surprise

Default Reaching for assistant

Hello everyone, i'm looking into playing Attila in ultra setting and i was wondering what sort of upgrade would i require to make in order to achieve such goal; currently, this is what i'm working with: Processor->AMD FX(tm)-6350 six core Processor 3.90 ghz, Ram-> 10.0 gb, graphic card-> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, windows 8.1. I thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Default Re: Reaching for assistant

Quote Originally Posted by m-m-n View Post
    Hello everyone, i'm looking into playing Attila in ultra setting and i was wondering what sort of upgrade would i require to make in order to achieve such goal; currently, this is what i'm working with: Processor->AMD FX(tm)-6350 six core Processor 3.90 ghz, Ram-> 10.0 gb, graphic card-> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, windows 8.1. I thank you all for your help and suggestions.
    Upgrading your GPU will yield the greatest improvement for the least amount of cash. The FX 6350 isn't ideal for Warscape, but it will have to suffice if you don't have the budget to upgrade everything.