Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Attila Computer & Hardware Recommendations

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Build a PC for Attila TW / Hardware Recommendations (Currently Updating)

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Invictus View Post
    Could somebody be so kind as to assess this setup, please. I wouldn't mind knowing if it will be able to run the game on Max specs....
    get the 290x. 970 n it's 3.5 gb vram. with the current price cut, it is now 30 to 50$ cheaper than 970. just make sure you have a 600 watt or better psu.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Default Re: Build a PC for Attila TW / Hardware Recommendations (Currently Updating)

Ok I have my new set up ready; ran benchmark on Rome II at Extreme settings with an average FPS of over 60 (mostly around 90-100 at the start, dropped to 59 for a brief second but was quickly gone again).

One problem though; my processor is BOILING in there. I actually smelled it after running the benchmark (so I'm avoiding playing games until I get this sorted). I have a CIT Neptune case; do you lads think that a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo will fit in there? I mean my CPU runs on average of 60 idle, and I can only dread it's temperature when it's tested ingame!

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

hmm 1 card gtx 990 or hd 7990, should be enough, cross fire if you want overkill it, for processor any quad 4 ghz should fine, i5 is recommend, i7 hmm if you like up to date, octa core is not recommend unless they started using 8 core in the attila

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Invictus View Post
    Ok I have my new set up ready; ran benchmark on Rome II at Extreme settings with an average FPS of over 60 (mostly around 90-100 at the start, dropped to 59 for a brief second but was quickly gone again).

One problem though; my processor is BOILING in there. I actually smelled it after running the benchmark (so I'm avoiding playing games until I get this sorted). I have a CIT Neptune case; do you lads think that a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo will fit in there? I mean my CPU runs on average of 60 idle, and I can only dread it's temperature when it's tested ingame!
    Well the solution is
    - buy better cooler
    - if you like tarzan style, open cpu case and play in room that have Air Conditioner only (i know its cheap)
    - depend on what processor you have and mother board, you can automatic or manually limit the overclock so its not overheat, mine using i5 4670 k no cooler , just pure AIR Conditioner dependent, run fine on 4.3 ghz, above it need extra cooler or i get blue screen if try running other heavy graphic games.But browsing play light thing should no problem on 5.0 ghz
    Last edited by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze; February 04, 2015 at 02:04 AM.
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

How far is the difference if you compare the GTX560ti to a regular GTX 760?

will it work on mine?
    my system info :
    cor i7 hq 4 gb
    geforce 840
    8 gb ram

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    get the 290x. 970 n it's 3.5 gb vram. with the current price cut, it is now 30 to 50$ cheaper than 970. just make sure you have a 600 watt or better psu.
    still wouldnt get a 290x....but yeah the price cuts has made it a harder choice. The ram thing is overhyped...well hasnt made any effect to me...

p.s you are only talking one game atm in ultra @1440p. (which shows a perf decrease).

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=396620

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    Nice build. Post about the motherboard when you get it up and running, I've always been cautious towards the Fatality lineup
    The board is the Z97 model as I plan on overclocking once my EVO 212 arrives. I played Rome 2 last night everything on ultra with zero issues. Very happy thus far.
    Intel 4690k GTX 760 8GB Asrock Fatality Z97

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Garensterz View Post
    How far is the difference if you compare the GTX560ti to a regular GTX 760?
    Huge. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1038?vs=1337

50-100%performance gain.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post

gtx 760 is a beast. I can vouch for it.
    Intel 4690k GTX 760 8GB Asrock Fatality Z97

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    still wouldnt get a 290x....but yeah the price cuts has made it a harder choice. The ram thing is overhyped...well hasnt made any effect to me...

p.s you are only talking one game atm in ultra @1440p. (which shows a perf decrease).

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=396620
    I 100% stand by my 970 comment. with how lazy game devs are with pc ports, vram requirements will only get higher. the more you have the better.
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by soulson View Post
    gtx 760 is a beast. I can vouch for it.
    if you anyone can wait for the 960Ti, is has a great performance and 256bit memory bus and also the same chip as the 970 and 980 so just some features downgraded. I suspect the price range will be around 260-300 € so a bit below the 970.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by Shapur e Sassani View Post
    will it work on mine?
    my system info :
    cor i7 hq 4 gb
    geforce 840
    8 gb ram
    Plz answer

Quote Originally Posted by Shapur e Sassani View Post
    Plz answer
    you gpu is a low end gpu from 2007. I have no idea what your cpu is. laptop cpu? cause it has the HQ subfix. an 8 years old low end laptop? I think it has trouble playing medieval 2 total war, let alone rome 2 or attila. you are way below minimum pc requirements. do you want to buy the game just to test your laptop? I doubt it.

if you want a laptop no matter what, get the sager np8672 laptop. barebones version costs about 1550$ usd, cheapest 980m gaming laptop. but everyone should get the 30 days no dead pixel guarantee. you get a good cpu + 980m(which is about the same as a desktop 770) plays every single game out now with max or near max settings in 1080p.
    Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    if you anyone can wait for the 960Ti, is has a great performance and 256bit memory bus and also the same chip as the 970 and 980 so just some features downgraded. I suspect the price range will be around 260-300 € so a bit below the 970.
    2gb v ram of 960 = useless, trash of a gpu. the end. there is no need for discussion.
    Last edited by craziii; February 05, 2015 at 09:49 AM.
    fear is helluva drug

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

2gb v ram of 960 = useless, trash of a gpu. the end. there is no need for discussion.
    Sure there is. There's more to GPU performance than VRAM. The GTX 960 is shaping up to be a great budget option for those of us still playing at 1080P and still has some bite in the 1440P arena as well. I can see this card sticking around for at least a couple years.

Supposedly nvidia is launching a 4GB version of the GTX 960 in March, so I'd honestly hold out for that if possible. At the very least it would give CA some time to patch Attila, which is inevitable.
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; February 05, 2015 at 11:13 AM.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    Sure there is. There's more to GPU performance than VRAM. The GTX 960 is shaping up to be a great budget option for those of us still playing at 1080P and still has some bite in the 1440P arena as well. I can see this card sticking around for at least a couple years.

Supposedly nvidia is launching a 4GB version of the GTX 960 in March, so I'd honestly hold out for that if possible. At the very least it would give CA some time to patch Attila, which is inevitable.
    not with the way pc ports are being made. just look at a few examples of recent releases requiring 4gb vram. it will only get worst. 960 is trash even before it's release.

trash is trash, is trash. please don't tell others to buy trash. even if unintentionally.
    fear is helluva drug

not with the way pc ports are being made. just look at a few examples of recent releases requiring 4gb vram. it will only get worst. 960 is trash even before it's release.

trash is trash, is trash. please don't tell others to buy trash. even if unintentionally.
    I'm just providing another perspective and backing it up with real world numbers. Simply stating "trash is trash" doesn't paint a complete picture for someone intending to make an educated purchase; the GTX 960 clearly has its merits and drawbacks, to deny either is plain ignorance. When I look into my crystal ball, I'd agree the future would seem a little rocky for 2GB videocards. That doesn't take away from the fact that we'll have a 4GB version of the GTX 960 soon nor the fact that it can run Rome 2 Total War at ultra/extreme settings, and most likely TW Attila as well.

I'm just providing another perspective and backing it up with real world numbers. Simply stating "trash is trash" doesn't paint a complete picture for someone intending to make an educated purchase; the GTX 960 clearly has its merits and drawbacks, to deny either is plain ignorance. When I look into my crystal ball, I'd agree the future would seem a little rocky for 2GB videocards. That doesn't take away from the fact that we'll have a 4GB version of the GTX 960 soon nor the fact that it can run Rome 2 Total War at ultra/extreme settings, and most likely TW Attila as well.
    gamers don't spend 200+ on a gpu just to play 1 game series bro. about numbers, a simple google would tell you that I am right about the future. there are already 3 AAA games that requires 4gb vram or higher already in the last 3 to 4 months. if a 4gb version is coming, a proper 4gb, not the same as the 3.5gb 970(which is another 350$ trash), then tell them to wait for that if you will. 2gb gpu is trash, and you know it. a future 4gb version doesn't help players who bought the current 2gb version base on info from this thread now does it?

on a side note, why not tell them to get the 290? I got an awesome deal during the holidays for 200$ but with the current price drop they are 220$ 10$ more for a great performance boost over 960. just google for reviews of 960 if you want to know how much. 960 is just a slight upgrade over 760 for 210$ it is ing crazy to recommend this gpu.

trash is trash.
    fear is helluva drug

gamers don't spend 200+ on a gpu just to play 1 game series bro. about numbers, a simple google would tell you that I am right about the future. there are already 3 AAA games that requires 4gb vram or higher already in the last 3 to 4 months.
    To which games are you referring? I see Watch Dogs, Shadows of Mordor, and Evil Within gobble up VRAM, but none of these require 4GB of VRAM to play.

if a 4gb version is coming, a proper 4gb, not the same as the 3.5gb 970(which is another 350$ trash), then tell them to wait for that if you will. 2gb gpu is trash, and you know it. a future 4gb version doesn't help players who bought the current 2gb version base on info from this thread now does it?
    Yeah, the GTX 970 3.5GB fiasco... I'm just going to say that "VRAMGate" isn't the big deal so many people are making it out to be. The 970 is still an amazing value.

on a side note, why not tell them to get the 290?
    I'm not making recommendations, I'm just weighing in on the GTX 960.

To which games are you referring? I see Watch Dogs, Shadows of Mordor, and Evil Within gobble up VRAM, but none of these require 4GB of VRAM to play.

Yeah, the GTX 970 3.5GB fiasco... I'm just going to say that "VRAMGate" isn't the big deal so many people are making it out to be. The 970 is still an amazing value.

I'm not making recommendations, I'm just weighing in on the GTX 960.
    so a 210$ usd gpu just for low or medium settings? really? to just play you can buy sub 100$ gpus and still be able to play. cause the higher the settings in those games, the more vram you need. why not spend 10$ more and get near max settings with a 290? that alone makes it trash when a gpu that is 10$ more has 30% or more performance.

no it isn't. when I compare my 200$ 290(nov 2014) + 4 free games with 330-350$ 970, it screams trash value for 970. the vram lie just cements it as trash.

just so you know, I am always this aggressive :/ please don't be offended by it. I just want to make sure people who reads this thread don't spend 210$ base on this thread and regret it later.
    fear is helluva drug

Not offended at all, I leave emotion at the door. We're only talking about hardware anyway.

so a 210$ usd gpu just for low or medium settings? really?
    I see 2GB cards (e.g. GTX 770, 760, 660) playing Watchdogs on High/Ultra settings, and Shadow of Mordor at High/Ultra as well. Granted new games in the coming years aren't going to get any easier on aging hardware, we clearly see here that 2GB offerings are still relevant.

why not spend 10$ more and get near max settings with a 290? that alone makes it trash when a gpu that is 10$ more has 30% or more performance.

no it isn't. when I compare my 200$ 290(nov 2014) + 4 free games with 330-350$ 970, it screams trash value for 970. the vram lie just cements it as trash.
    I see your point if that's what R9 290s were going for right now. I wouldn't consider anything other than a 290 or 290x if it could be had for $200 USD. Alas, I'm seeing $250+ USD from major vendors for R9 290s, and just under $300 for 290x. It seems the price cuts have drove demand up, and thus the prices have gone back up. Currently, the only AMD cards I see competing with the GTX 960s in its price range are the R9 280 and 285.
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; February 06, 2015 at 11:20 AM.