Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Attila Computer & Hardware Recommendations

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Build a PC for Attila TW / Hardware Recommendations (Currently Updating)

Quote Originally Posted by dominus810321 View Post
    I have Core i7 4790K, 16 GB of RAM and Geforce 980 GTX. I play Rome 2 Total War on Extreme/Ultra and I don't expect any problems with Attila. I hope Attila Total War would be 64-bit game.
    Well of course you should be able to play Attila and Rome 2 on high settings, while I still want to point out that Ultra or Extreme presets are not the highest settings possible, so it is rather ashaming that you don't max out Rome 2 for sake of more performance with your powerful build.

TW Attila is not a 64bit engine, this can be firmly excluded regarding the system requirements still allow a 32 bit OS. I hope that TW Warhammer will support only 64bit and still I think it needs a new engine, too because of the unit and battle engine that has higher unit diversity. My hope rely on the information that the Warhammer team is a complete different Team to TW Rome 2 / Attila, so the chance they are also crafting a new engine is very likely.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Build a PC for Attila TW / Hardware Recommendations (Currently Updating)

Apparently I totally missed the news about the warhammer game :O sounds cool.

I think I will update the first 2 builds to include an i3, but just remember that I'd have to add about another $280 on top of that for the OS, peripherals and monitor... already sounds like too much money for an entry level PC.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; January 27, 2015 at 09:02 PM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

I've updated the 3rd tier. I was conflicted with which GPU to pick, because the 760 isn't produced any more; the new 960 was just introduced but the cost of the card is very high in some countries (including mine); the 270 and 270X are so similarly priced and perform so similarly... Nvidia's only card being produced at around the same price (in most countries) is the 750Ti...

Give feedback, I need it on this one Also, I feel like there isn't a large enough increment between this and last tier (not even $100), maybe we should improve more?

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Just ordered this (for other games, not just Attila - my rig is ageing anyway):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£244.94 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 U3 Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£75.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£62.68 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (£255.59 @ Aria PC)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case (£44.96 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £684.07

Plan now is to add my Corsair CX600 to this to complete the set. How do you think this will perform?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

We should wait and see what's the outcoming of the GTX 970 affair, I doubt that Nvidia will be able to shut down the people and good portion do already consider a partly cashback or complete refund.
    At the moment, I would not be surprised if the GTX 970 prices will fall a good portion now that this "fraud" has been revealed.

Amazon Germany offers 50 € cashback or complete refund at the moment, because Nvidia tricked around with the tech specs of the card, the coil noise problems come on top of that.
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

why are there no soundcards in the recommended builds?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Sound cards are pointless to have unless you actually need a quality sound chip eg. professionally. Vast majority of people don't need a dedicated sound card, and majority of people wouldn't notice the difference, so I thought the money could be better spent elsewhere.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Splenyi View Post
    Sound cards are pointless to have unless you actually need a quality sound chip eg. professionally. Vast majority of people don't need a dedicated sound card, and majority of people wouldn't notice the difference, so I thought the money could be better spent elsewhere.
    very much this. A good soundcard would add up the prices starting from 60-120 €. Then most of the soundcards available have a lack of qualified driver support for OS like Windows 8 and 10.
    True said, the driver model since Windows Vista has not change much, so basically Vista drivers would still work on Windows 10, but often enough old soundcard drivers cause problems like crackling, being able to hear your equipment inside your computer working, esp. harddisks, or even instabilities and bluescreens as a last resort.

So named Asus and Creative still offer only BETA drivers and software for their products, if one is using a Windows beyond Windows 7. This is really ridicilous in terms of how much these cards cost.
    Especially my experience with Creative Labs is an ambigous one and broke up all my trust for this company. You have to know, that I bought my first Soundblaster 2 at the age of 11 and since then ever used their cards till 2012.

The technical support for many Creative soundcards have been dumped since Vista while technically they could still work with Windows 7, 8 and 10, Creative Labs saved themself the costs to release working compatible drivers.

If the drivers are appropriate you'll hear a lot of difference with a good headset or even dolby digital certified speakers etc. If anyone feels a need a to have this, he can choose between a few cards only. In terms of driver support you have the choice between plague and cholera literally spoken. Well, they do work, hence selling high end products based on beta drivers, for the long term, and never going to release finished drivers is ashaming and does also reflect a bit how unimportant the market for PC / Laptops etc have become.

Technically the onboard soundcard are tied to PCI-Express, same as the dedicated soundcards, so the major difference are the codecs, amplifier and quality of analog / digital (AD) switch.

Realtek HD chipsets, implemented on quite every mainboard see regularly and finalized driver updates in opposite of that. From my very own experience I can say there is a quality difference, even using a headset, yet most the games do not support better cards at all. The time when developers deliberately put effort into sound design and using features like 3DSound or the later EAX technology have passed. Today most of the game developers, including CA do use free or cheap codecs like Miles, OGG, MP4 etc.

tldr: dedicated soundcards are worth a buy for audiophile people but they should consider that the driver and software support lacks, compared to onboard soundcards.
    tldr2: Even with the many post-processing effects available on dedicated soundcards - the original Rome 2 soundtrack still not sounds awesome.
    Last edited by alQamar; January 29, 2015 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    tldr2: Even with the many post-processing effects available on dedicated soundcards - the original Rome 2 soundtrack still not sounds awesome.
    This

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi guys, if anyone is running on Nvidia you should take some time to read about my latest findings in the peformance comparison thread (link in my signature)

Birk's Avatar Centenarius

Currently running.

GTX 770 AMP Edition
    i5-2500k 4.7Ghz
    8Gb RAM 1666mhz or whatever. Will upgrade to DDR4 when changing CPU.

Just bought GTX 980 I noticed that the legendary i5-2500k is still the best CPU. Maybe I upgrade when 5th gen Broadwell or 6th gen Skylake is coming. Anyway I hope the game will go more smoothly in the larger battles with GTX 980.
    Last edited by Birk; January 29, 2015 at 11:22 AM.
    Birk Von Norway

shogon's Avatar Civis

They are only pointless if one has really low quality speakers or headphones, if one has something that can actually benefit from a sound card / DAC the sound quality will improve. At the end of the day though you'd only need a soundcard if you have tons of flac files and enjoy listening to music, for Rome 2 I wouldn't even consider it.
    40%
    40%
    40%
    40%
    "
    It's a real upgrade, and we're not even halfway to alpha."

Quote Originally Posted by Birk View Post
    Currently running.

GTX 770 AMP Edition
    i5-2500k 4.7Ghz
    8Gb RAM 1666mhz or whatever. Will upgrade to DDR4 when changing CPU.

Just bought GTX 980 I noticed that the legendary i5-2500k is still the best CPU. Maybe I upgrade when 5th gen Broadwell or 6th gen Skylake is coming. Anyway I hope the game will go more smoothly in the larger battles with GTX 980.
    The 2500K is fairly dated now and definitely not the best still. The GTX 770 is still a great card, and that's not the reason why your system was slowing down on large battles, it's because of your CPU (which is responsible for managing the thousands of entities on the battlefield). You should consider refunding/changing your order, you'll get a MUCH better improvement from upgrading your CPU (if you want to wait for Broadwell or not). I have the 4670K and never experience performance dips.

Quote Originally Posted by shogon View Post
    They are only pointless if one has really low quality speakers or headphones, if one has something that can actually benefit from a sound card / DAC the sound quality will improve. At the end of the day though you'd only need a soundcard if you have tons of flac files and enjoy listening to music, for Rome 2 I wouldn't even consider it.
    Exactly. These are gaming PC

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

The 2500K is fairly dated now and definitely not the best still.
    I had the opportunity to benchmark my "old" Sandy Bridge against Noif de Boldemoze fresh i5 Devils Canyon (both K-versions).
    First of all OC capabilities are still on the positive balance of the Sandy Bridge, and the performance leap of the Devils Canyon does not by far justify any exchange because you need not only to replace the CPU but also your mainboard.
    In some benchmarks I even beat his CPU because the higher OC.

Splenyi is right the Sandy is outdated but it is an evergreen and probably one of the best CPUs Intel crafted in the last years. So just to say avoid falling to much into "specs". It is basically the same as replacing a 670 against a 770 which does not make that much sense, while replacing a 670 against a 970 does make a bit more sense, mostly because the bigger memory.

So all in all you got a solid roadmap @Birk. Stick to it at the moment.
    Last edited by alQamar; January 29, 2015 at 06:45 PM.

I had the opportunity to benchmark my "old" Sandy Bridge against Noif de Boldemoze fresh i5 Devils Canyon (both K-versions).
    First of all OC capabilities are still on the positive balance of the Sandy Bridge, and the performance leap of the Devils Canyon does not by far justify any exchange because you need not only to replace the CPU but also your mainboard.

Splenyi is right the Sandy is outdated but it is an evergreen and probably one of the best CPUs Intel crafted in the last years. So just to say avoid falling to much into "specs". It is basically the same as replacing a 670 against a 770 which does not make that much sense, while replacing a 670 against a 970 does make a bit more sense, mostly because the bigger memory.

Oh wow, I didn't realise this. What was his CPU clocked to, and yours? I know that sandybridge can OC higher, but I thought that Haswell's higher IPC would lead it in front.

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

I agree with alQamar. From our own benchmark thread, we can extrapolate that you'll likely see better performance gains going from a GTX 770 to GTX 980 than you would if you upgraded an i5 2500K to an i7 4770K:

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4,2 GHz 1x NVIDIA GTX 780 : 51 FPS
    Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3,8 GHz 1x NVIDIA GTX 760 : 37 FPS
    Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4,2 GHz 1x NVIDIA GTX 780: 49 FPS

So I would stick with a 2500K and grab that GTX 980, instead of upgrading the 2500K and sticking with the GTX 770.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    I agree with alQamar. From our own benchmark thread, we can extrapolate that you'll likely see better performance gains going from a GTX 770 to GTX 980 than you would if you upgraded an i5 2500K to an i7 4770K:

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4,2 GHz 1x NVIDIA GTX 780 : 51 FPS
    Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3,8 GHz 1x NVIDIA GTX 760 : 37 FPS
    Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4,2 GHz 1x NVIDIA GTX 780: 49 FPS

So I would stick with a 2500K and grab that GTX 980, instead of upgrading the 2500K and sticking with the GTX 770.
    Well that is unfortunate. Doesn't look like Broadwell will be innovating in power very much either

I just bought a new rig. Cant wait!!!

8GB ddr 1600
    GTX 760
    Z97 Asrock Fatality
    Intel 4690k GTX 760 8GB Asrock Fatality Z97

Nice build. Post about the motherboard when you get it up and running, I've always been cautious towards the Fatality lineup

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Oh wow, I didn't realise this. What was his CPU clocked to, and yours? I know that sandybridge can OC higher, but I thought that Haswell's higher IPC would lead it in front.
    He has a very good cooler, don't know the brand at the moment. His Devils Canyon finally run stable at 4.4 GHz, all settings above the stress tests failed resulting in a bluescreen.
    Aircooled my Sandy Bridge ran fine at 4.6 GHz, since I have a watercooling I can push it up to 5.1 GHz which I only do for extreme benchmarking (because the temps).

In this test Sandy vs Devils I downclocked my one to 4.4 GHz to see a direct comparison, in those where I was ahead I ran at 4.6 GHz, so I was impressed that the better architecture of the Devils Canyon does not give so much of an advantage like the few MHz more.

On top of that I have 1600 MHz RAM CL9 and he has 2133 MHz CL11 but as we found out in the benchmark thread this does not impact much in benchmarks. We took the 2133 one because it was note more expensive compared the 1600 MHZ RAM
    Last edited by alQamar; January 30, 2015 at 07:45 AM.