Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Yemen Civil War

Default Re: Yemen on the verge of collapse

An intervention seems inevitable, since it concerns the security of the Suez Canal route. Though what form it takes ishould be interesting.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

I can think of only one group capable of pulling it off... the UN peacekeepers!

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    An intervention seems inevitable, since it concerns the security of the Suez Canal route. Though what form it takes ishould be interesting.
    That depends, the long waiting intervention of Somalia is still not happening today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Blaze86420's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by mrmouth View Post
    If it were not for the sectarian divisions within Islam you could see a situation where you essentially evacuated parts of the world that are wastelands and incorporated those people into, in this case Saudi Arabia, while the rich countries helped subsidize the movements and settlement of millions of people.

Yemen is a dead piece of land. But we have the Sunni/Shia miserable reality on this planet so they will drag all of us down with them.

A policy of containment is a game of chance with odds stacked heavily against you to the point you can count on failure, at some point. The status quo is not working and the sooner the Muslim world starts their much needed Reformation, the chances of world system we have created surviving get immeasurably better. Or maybe it shouldn't survive but I'm sick of watching this . It's a bad rerun already played out over millennia and it only gets more dangerous.
    Getting major white man burden vibes from your posts. If you're sick of watching this then stop watching. The day American eyes turn away from the region is the day things turn around. The reformation you're hoping for is actually the disaster you're complaining about right now. Get your country to end it with its Wahhabi buddies if Jihadi Salafism bothers you so much.
    Last edited by Blaze86420; February 09, 2015 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze86420 View Post
    Getting major white man burden vibes from your posts. If you're sick of watching this then stop watching. The day American eyes turn away from the region is the day things turn around. The reformation you're hoping for is actually the disaster you're complaining about right now. Get your country to end it with its Wahhabi buddies if Jihadi Salafism bothers you so much.
    The huge demand for petroleum, NO ONE is looking away from the region. With the geographic position of Yemen, NO ONE is going to ignore this either. There are certain economic realities that will NOT go away though matter how much you would like them to. It is naive to think otherwise.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    That depends, the long waiting intervention of Somalia is still not happening today.
    Well it sort of has between Kenya, Ethiopia, The African Union troops (who are mostly supported or trained by the US), Direct but small US actions, tacit recognition of the stable spaces in the north. Not splashy or anything but the place is reasonably stable compared to it was.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    The huge demand for petroleum, NO ONE is looking away from the region. With the geographic position of Yemen, NO ONE is going to ignore this either. There are certain economic realities that will NOT go away though matter how much you would like them to. It is naive to think otherwise.
    Then do not complain and pretend these issues came to be in a vacuum, American policy is a reason why the middle east is the way it is today.

"Reformation", spare me.

Then do not complain and pretend these issues came to be in a vacuum, American policy is a reason why the middle east is the way it is today.

"Reformation", spare me.
    what you're saying is, if the US didn't exist, then Saudi Arabia and Iran would be best of pals and Islamic and Arabic infighting would cease for eternities

Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    what you're saying is, if the US didn't exist, then Saudi Arabia and Iran would be best of pals and Islamic and Arabic infighting would cease for eternities
    You want me to be frank? That's fine. The United States supported the coup that overthrew Mossadeg in Iran and led to the Islamic revolution there later. The United States then funded both Iran and Iraq in their destructive war, fostering Arab-Iranian enmity further. The United States is allied with Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states, the prime exporters of jihadi salafism and Iran's most bitter enemies. The United States destroyed Iraq, which allowed Al Qaeda to fill the the power vacuum there. And most importantly, the United States is Israel's staunchest ally. This particular grievance is a major factor in why jihadi groups get so much sympathy in the Arab world. I will not claim that sectarianism would not exist if these factors were not at play, but do not for a second deny that the United States does not have a hand in this mess.

Vacuum, I do not think anyone is claiming that.

You want me to be frank? That's fine. The United States supported the coup that overthrew Mossadeg in Iran and led to the Islamic revolution there later.
    European involvement preceded US involvement in Iran. It is my understanding that the revolution didn't start out as an Islamic Revolution, but was 'hijacked' by Islamic extremist. It is probably a little unfair to blame the US for this happening.

The United States then funded both Iran and Iraq in their destructive war, fostering Arab-Iranian enmity further.
    Again this is unfair. Iran and Iraq chose to go to war. The US didn't foster anything that was not already present.

The United States is allied with Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states, the prime exporters of jihadi salafism and Iran's most bitter enemies.
    In World politics you don't always have the luxury of choosing your dance partners. Moral politics is great for the individual, but it is a luxury nations can ill afford.

The United States destroyed Iraq, which allowed Al Qaeda to fill the the power vacuum there.
    Al Qaeda existed long before the invasion of Iraq. The ideals of Al Qaeda will always resonate with people who are anti- Western; anything that challenges traditional Arabic values will always be a rallying cry for individuals. Modernization is often synonymous with the western values. There is also a history that predates the US involvement in the region. It is unlikely if the US would suddenly reverse its course that groups like Al Qaeda would disappear as long as there remains a western influence in the region (when I mean influence I mean western cultural ideas).

And most importantly, the United States is Israel's staunchest ally.
    The US is also allies with Bahrain, UAE and Saudi Arabia. However, the US lose relationship with Israel is a source of discontentment.

This particular grievance is a major factor in why jihadi groups get so much sympathy in the Arab world. I will not claim that sectarianism would not exist if these factors were not at play, but do not for a second deny that the United States does not have a hand in this mess.
    You need to stop these strawman arguments. No one has ever said anything like this. Because of economic interest, the US is involved in every region. Blaming the US for discontentment within Arabic nations and non Arabic nations in the Middle East is as unfair as blaming the US for the rivalry that exist between Japan, Taiwan and PRC.

bwahaha! the US's natural alliance with Israel pissing off people is to be held against the US as a factor that stokes the fires of war in the middle east, but nothing is to be mentioned about the Ottoman Empire entering WW1 on the side of the Central powers, then some of its territory being taken over by the British, which then leads to the legal creation of Israel.

Don't forget the Romans
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

People are surprised that a muslim country has problems ?1

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/e...llion-29214707

Former president and US ally Saleh amassed 60 billion dollars. Saleh, just like other US allies(the Pakistani army, the Egyptian army, the Jordan monarch etc)is bribed by US to do what US wants. No wonder why America is rather loathed in these areas

http://news.yahoo.com/planes-flying-...131614622.html

The complex conflict in yemen becomes even more complex. Planes allied to ex president bomb the city of Aden where the current president lives since he was overthrown with a coup by Houthis.

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/planes-flying-...131614622.html

The complex conflict in yemen becomes even more complex. Planes allied to ex president bomb the city of Aden where the current president lives since he was overthrown with a coup by Houthis.
    So
    the South Yemen Movement (yellow) wanted to kill Abd Rabbuh Manṣūr Hādī red)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templat...y_detailed_map

It has nothing to do with the Houthi's but it shows the total collaps of Yemen. It seems the Shia's are doing quite ok.
    Best thing is to split it back in north and south and and then throw Al-Qaida out
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I will truly never understand what goes on in a terrorist's mind when he thinks it's somehow justified or sanctioned by God to blow up a mosque with a bunch of random men, women, and children who've come there to pray peacefully.

Suicide bombers hit two mosques in Yemen, killing 50

Even if you're a Sunni Muslim and you hate the Shiite Houthis for their rebellion, this is no way to get back at them, this is just cowardice.

That's where ideology comes in to justify it.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Dear Allah as god of death. Why am I not surprised ?!