Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Yemen Civil War

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Yemen on the verge of collapse

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Lets see the Houthis take on LA-Qaeda and the former government of Yemen.
    According to this article the Saleh Loyalists+Houthis have 100,000-120,000 fighters. I guess driving out The Hadi's isn't too diffuclt at this point. (perhaps the Hadi Loyalists can flee to Suqutra to be still there as a symbolic force). After the remaining parts of South Yemen have been taken i expect them to go on the defensive and establish a defensive line somewhere, there's no need for the Houthi's to seize East Yemen.

The only thing that can change this is a Gulfstate invasion.

http://www.middleeasterner.net/blog/...-twister-yemen

---------------------------------------------------

Changed the title in accordance with recent events. I'll update the OP aswell
    Last edited by Mary The Quene; March 24, 2015 at 03:57 PM.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Yemen Civil War

If that continues then Yemen is going to be divided again

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    If that continues then Yemen is going to be divided again
    I was thinking the same till: http://www.energy-pedia.com/news/yem...and-gas-blocks
    It has oil reserves that makes the Saudis jealous. I suspect the the southern sepetrists have a deal with the Houthis but maybe a formal division needs an agreement on the oil revenue (most in the south).

Yemen has the potential to become a regional strongman.
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

An interesting point:West forced sunni presidents of Yemen to conduct "counter-terrorist" operations in the south. Because of US, Sunnis are in a state of civil war. Shias on the other hand, are once again united. This is the reason why Iran is gaining the upper hand.

An interesting point:West forced sunni presidents of Yemen to conduct "counter-terrorist" operations in the south. Because of US, Sunnis are in a state of civil war. Shias on the other hand, are once again united. This is the reason why Iran is gaining the upper hand.
    Iran doesn't need to do much over there the Houthis can handle themselfs. (that is what my university professor told us when we shortly debated Yemen).
    The Saudis builded a 10 billion wall across the border for a reason. Wahabis in and devestate the country that is/was the plan.
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Houthis are only 50 kilometer far from Aden .

According to a report the resigned president fled to UAE and the defensive line of forces loyal to the south was crushed .

Houthis took 2 more cities alongside Yemeni Army forces allied with them .

If thats true i believe that the best outcome would be dividing Yemen in two. I am sickened with all that shia versus sunni rivalry. Not another endless war please

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Good to see Wahhabi's being crushed.
    Miss me yet?

Houthis took Lahj a couple of hours ago .

Persian Gulf states' ambassadors are leaving Aden to home .

Aden will fall soon .

Cyrene's Avatar Vicarius

as of 24, March, 2015:

and a detailed map ( probably today )

Lahj taken, it's only a matter of time till they reach Aden
    Last edited by Cyrene; March 25, 2015 at 05:02 AM.

The Egyptians need a secure sea route to the Suez Canal.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Gentlemen, this is not a news feed thread. Please keep this in mind when posting.

Battle of Aden started .

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Treize View Post
    Good to see Wahhabi's being crushed.
    The last government of Yemen weren't Wahhabis. All the Houthis have manged to do is throw a country into civil war. But i guess because they are pro-Iranian Shiite militias its alright.
    Last edited by Vanoi; March 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

These are bad news for Assad. The west will not accept Iran controling Yemen and Syria

Yemen's International Aden airport seized by troops of ex-president Saleh-officials

(Reuters) - Troops loyal to Yemen's ex-president Ali Abdullah Saleh, an ally of the powerful Houthi militia, captured Aden airport on Wednesday from forces loyal to President Abdu-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, local officials said.

The officials added without elaborating that clashes were taking place in the vicinity of the airport.
    Gunfire at Aden army base as Yemen's Houthis approach: residents

(Reuters) - Sounds of gunfire and explosions were heard at a Yemen army base in the center of Aden on Wednesday, residents told Reuters, and Houthi militia forces were within about 20 km (12 miles) of the city's northern entrance.

Soldiers at the city's Jabal al-Hadeed barracks fired into the air to prevent residents from infiltrating and arming themselves, the local witnesses said, suggesting that President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi's control over Aden was fraying.

Houthi fighters and allied military units had advanced to Dar Saad, a village a half-hour's drive from the southern city's center, residents there said.
    Yemen's Al-Anad's Air Base Formerly Used by U.S. Forces Is Seized by Houthi Rebels

CAIRO — A Yemeni air base used by American forces for counterterrorism operations fell under the control of army units and fighters allied with the Houthi movement on Wednesday as they closed in on President Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi in his refuge in the southern city of Aden.

A television network under Houthi control said they had found the base, Al Anad, empty and looted, and had captured two senior officers loyal to Mr. Hadi, including his defense minister. Yemeni Air Force planes under Houthi control struck targets near the president’s Aden home and his supporters returned fire with antiaircraft guns.
    It's only a matter of days before Aden is seized at this point, after Aden it is basicly mopping up campaigns in the western part of Yemen. Saleh will be president again. I'm looking forward what they're going to do against Al-Qaeda. Also The wahhabis of KSA have deployed troops along the border with Yemen for ''defensive'' purposes.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Aden fell .

This is not right , Something is wrong in Yemen that let Houthis take Aden easily while fighting in cities take too much time and casualties .

Here is the map :

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...y_detailed_map

These are bad news for Assad. The west will not accept Iran controling Yemen and Syria
    Iran has never controlled Syria and is not going to control Yemen .

Syria has been Iran's loyal ally for decades and the alliance is based on mutual interests . I'm sure Iran will do the same thing in Yemen if things go well . Maybe an unwritten military alliance with houthis in region .
    Last edited by Mithridates II the Great; March 25, 2015 at 01:32 PM.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Most of the army is with the Houthi's now. Only armed "popular commitees" defended Aden.
    Is Hadi in Djibouti now? He supposedly fled Aden by boat.
    Miss me yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Treize View Post
    Most of the army is with the Houthi's now. Only armed "popular commitees" defended Aden.
    Is Hadi in Djibouti now? He supposedly fled Aden by boat.
    The situation is very unclear at the moment. In any case if there are still some remnants of the Yemen military fighting for Hadi then i expect them to defect. Can't see why they would fight anymore for a lost cause and for a president who runs away. It's not like the Houthi's are massacring Sunnis or anything like that
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Quote Originally Posted by Lucilla View Post
    The situation is very unclear at the moment. In any case if there are still some remnants of the Yemen military fighting for Hadi then i expect them to defect. Can't see why they would fight anymore for a lost cause and for a president who runs away. It's not like the Houthi's are massacring Sunnis or anything like that
    No they dont massacre them. But wherever sunnis took the streets to demonstrate they got shot by them