Thread: Can 'Strategic' Cavalry Patrols be saved?

Miles

Default Can 'Strategic' Cavalry Patrols be saved?

1. I detach a light cav unit from the army and place it aways forward as advance warning
    2. Enemy unit shows up and moves to attack
    3. I withdraw and enemy unit follows, forcing a move to the Battle Map

Problem - I am unable to exit the Battle Map, I can trot over to the boundary, but can't cross it.

Just had a hussar unit unable to leave behind three infantry battalions - ridiculous.

Tried the Auto Battle Resolution and it showed I lost 13 men, but when game reverted to the Strategic Map, the entire hussar unit was gone. Ridiculous.

Surely there is some way to put out a patrol and not have it be a kamikaze mission? I'm betting I'm missing something really simple

Update
    Currently reading Christopher Duffy's Austerlitz, in which he mentions clouds of cavalry performing deep screening operations well in front of the main bodies of le Grande Armee. With my current understanding of NTW mechanics such a strategy would kill off most of the light cavalry performing that mission. There must be a way for this mission to not be a kamikaze.
    Last edited by Akmatov; January 19, 2015 at 02:50 PM.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Can 'Strategic' Cavalry Patrols be saved?

There is indeed a way around this. You can mod the campaign movement number for light cavalry in the units table. Look under campaign action points and then raise the number to 40. The enemy army will not be able to catch your unit. Also place your light cav unit in a woodland area on the campaign map so it can hide-it has campaign stealth
    Or just make sent out spies ahead of your army then you will not have to worry about your Cav.
    Last edited by Bran Mac Born; January 21, 2015 at 08:01 PM.

Miles

Thx for the info, no one else seemed to have a clue to share. Spies ofc are useful, but not always available. Using the woods looks very viable for this unit table tweaking ignoramus - though I'll look. However, just being unchatchable really doesn't help too much as you would still be stuck in the same region. Hmmm, unless the battle timer was set to like 20 minutes, maybe?

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

This is a little old, but just for anyone else wondering, Im pretty sure that when a unit runs out of movement points, it cannot retreat from the battle. So if you lose the battle, the entire unit is destroyed.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

10 years later... but if ppl are still wondering how to get around this:

Just don't retreat on the campaign map with your cav scouts. Take the fight, the first one. Then you can just kite the AI infantry around until the timer runs out and it counts as a win for you, the AI will have auto-retreat. This is pretty cheap and exploity. You can really bait and confuse the AI and lead the on a goose chase trying to kill your cav on the campaign map.

Of course if they have more cavalry on the stack than you have on your scout detachment, the AI will catch and kill you on the battlemap so...