Thread: List of WWII European Rifles

agunter999's Avatar Senator

Default List of WWII European Rifles

http://europe-in-history.com/world-a...ifles-of-wwii/
    This is a list of WWII Rifles used by European Nations, you will find this information also in my website just above. If you see any errors or have any additions please let me know
    Last edited by agunter999; January 18, 2015 at 02:40 PM.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: List of WWII European Rifles

Seems A bid Biased:

"he leading manufacturers of modern rifles were the Germans but they were never truly alone."

They had nothing to beat the Garand that they could produce in quality or quantity - If had to pick I take the Mix of M1 Carbine/M1 Garand/Thompson and Colt 1911 for my army small arms pick (I would the BAR but we are shading into MGs and I'll admit the Germans had the best there at least at the light end)
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

The Garand in my opinion apart from it's mass availability was not really a very good weapon, I am more of a bolt action kind of guy. The MP40 is better that the Thompson due to the stability but the best smg ever is the Hungarian Danuvia 43M or possibly the 39M as I don't love pistol grip. The M1 Carbine was a very innovative weapon and I really do appreciate it however the K31 is technically a carbine so has to take pole position. One thing that the US weapons do have for them is the mass production which is vital to win a war.

You've just inspired me to make a SMG list now
    Last edited by agunter999; January 19, 2015 at 10:18 AM.

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

The Thompson represented what was probably the best SMG money could buy at the time, but it was a complicated, expensive and hard to produce weapon so guns such as the Sten or MP40 are more practical as far as an army was concerned - apart from the United States, which did not have to worry about the expense and production of such weapons.

That said, I would argue that the Owen SMG was the best of the era and its then modern and unusual design balanced a form of finesse with practicality at all levels. It was perfect for the Australians and British in the Far East (I've seen documents pertaining to the British acquisition of the Owen as late as 1950 for the Malayan Emergency) and took into account the failings of the Sten and Austen.

This thread is about rifles, so I should probably mention them!

You can't really fault the Garand, it was relativity simple and easy to use although personally I dislike the en bloc clip system of loading. The Johnson rifle was another innovative system but obviously the Garand was superior in most respects. People often overlook the G43, probably because of the absolute failure that was the G41. However, the G43 was pretty reliable. durable, simple, easy to produce and a clear improvement on the rugged and effective Soviet SVT it was based on and the ability to Lee Enfield style load the magazine, in conjunction with the classic magazine detach and replace, was also welcomed and added flexibility.

Soldiers could carry a few magazines for high-pressure, high-tempo situations and still top up half a magazine or reload with stripper clips when the circumstances demanded a more sustained, conservative, and static engagement. I.e, the magazines were perfect, for example, if bumped on patrol, as a soldier could blast through a mag or two suppressing the enemy and allowing himself or his companions to find cover - a time where he needs to reload quickly and keep his rate of fire up. Once the soldier was had gone prone and is behind cover, and the initiative and weight of firepower on his side, he can reload with the stripper clips as there is no need to rush, his personal rate of fire is less important (as the units machine gun would by now be emplaced and could have switched from a drum to belts) and he can focus on a more accurate placement of shots.

Whilst far from a useless or niche weapon, and like I said you can't really fault it, not without being picky anyway, but the Garand had design limitations which did limit some of its flexibility (pretty much all to do with how it loaded). Other self-loaders like the G43 and bolt actions with a large magazine capacity like the Lee Enfield did not suffer from the same problems.

All that said, the G43 did not have bayonet lugs, quite the flaw...

Outside of prototype assault rifle, probably the Garand represents the best features that you'd want for a combat rifle.

As for SMGs, a later model Sten.

Pistols/revolvers should provide more fodder for dispute.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Personally I believe that a mix of rifles and LMGs is the best mix as the MG can denied areas and supress while rifles make accurate and calculated kills, I know it is an old view however this tends to lead me to exclude the semi autos from my favourites list. I do like the concept of the FG42 though. Anyway the Enfield rifle's high rate of fire and efficient magazine draws me very much towards it as a rifle however Mausers and the K31 are certainly not to be forgotten. I personally love mannlichers but they are not really the best :/