Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
The game looks AWESOME and possibly I'll get it, my only concern (or complaint, as you prefer) it's that the ships are moving on a flat surface, as if they were on a oceanic water surface, instead, if you are moving in the space, the movement directions should be tridimensional ..

.. I mean that ships in the space are tridimensional vectors. I know that, in the tabletop game, you move the pieces in the same way shown by the Armada's engine, as I know that the ships in game are simply wonderful, but, .. but, .. but we should consider that a PC game should offer more (and better) alternatives to depict space battles in 3D.

In my opinion the Homeworld's engine is still far superior, in Homeworld 2 the PERFECT AI by Relic is a real killer, the enemy in fact may come from above and from below your ships, the AI may come from any direction of the 3D sapce (once I was forced to flee vertically with my ships, with two or three vertical hyperspace jumps, almost impossible even to think, because the AI was attacking my fleet with tons of light ships and destroyers coming from below my position, and I wasn't expecting an attack from that direction, the map was almost like a gigantic sphere and the hyperspace jumps were a nightmare, I had no time to fix the right coordinates of the single jumps because I was under constant pressure from the enemy, all in all, it has been a real nightmare and also the best space battle I've ever fought in any RTS game I've played!), so, the gameplay in Homeworld is freaking awesome!!
Today, with the Remastered Edition, the Homeworld's engine is still simply PERFECT!!! Now look at the gigas of Homeworld 2: the engine is so small that it has the weight of a small fraction of any modern game on your machine, but the effect on the screen is still almost incredible and let me say once again: far superior in terms of gaming experience!

Conclusions?

Relic (before SEGA takeover) has been one of the greatest game developers of any time.

Well for starters.

1. It's based off on the Battlefleet Gothic table top game which in itself IS 2D.

2. Compared to homeworld this is close-range combat so I don't think it's necessary to have the 3D. In Homeworld I rarely bothered with it unless I wanted to do something cool.

3. It's heavy on the microing compared to Homeworld what with all the special abilities the ships can do and you can control from 3 - 15 I think depending on the map.

3D would be nice of course but it's not necessary and so far no one has ever taken Homeworld and expanded on it.