Thread: The 2016 presidential race (former: The race to the 2016 presidential race)

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: The race to the 2016 presidential race (former: Republican candidates)

I'm happy that Bernie's campaign and movement succeeded in at least nullifying 2/3 of the Democratic superdelegates, forcing 2/3 of them to vote in the same manner as their own states voted in the primaries. I consider that a small win for democracy.

In other news, holy crap is Gary Johnson's Libertarian party campaign picking up speed in the polls! Jill Stein of the Green Party, the other 3rd party alternative, doesn't really stand a chance, but at this rate we will most likely see Gary Johnson on the same debate stage as Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. That would be interesting, to say the least. It'll be like a game of cutthroat in billiards, with three players all vying to destroy each other. As we all know, in the Game of Thrones ™ you either win, or you die become a corporate lobbyist based in D.C. or Manhattan.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: The race to the 2016 presidential race (former: Republican candidates)

I don't think Trump has solutions, but at least he's able to list the problems affecting the US. Hillary can't even do that.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Trump has listed the problems you want to hear and Hillary listed the problems you didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    In fact, I'm disappointed.
    He is telling us that being cheated on can actually be a good thing.
    I honestly don't understand his reasons either. Maybe one day we'll know. Or maybe sooner because the leak isn't finished yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    I
    You are way too optimistic, aren't you? There is no dr. Jekill, I only recognize Trump's Mr. Hyde.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Honestly, I am more scared of a chunk of Trump supporters, than Trump himself. Then again, a chunk of Sanders supporters are equally insane so yeah, let's focus on the candidates.
    Getting out of the Middle East, end the pointless militarism and end the bullying of Russia to justify it are all good things. Ending the Neocon/Salafist axis is more than good. I don't agree with his stance on Iran, while on Israel he's basically the same as every other American candidate.
    Opposition to TPP/TTIP is great. Reinstating the Glass-Steagall act is superb and finally would lift the stranglehold of Wall Street on the real economy.

People get way too uppity on his stance on immigration and besides, if we ask to Muslims all over the world what they prefer between:
    -Hillary: -drones, use of terrorists to destabilize disliked regimes, possible invasions -being allowed to the US
    -Trump: -none of the above, including not being allowed to the US

I'm fairly sure most would say ''I don't give a crap about going to the US as long as my country is stable''.

Then of course Trump comes out with absurd stuff like non-better specified censorship on the internet or similar nonsense, but after PRISM I don't have big expectations.
    Last edited by Iskar; July 26, 2016 at 05:42 PM. Reason: continuity

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    Trump has listed the problems you want to hear and Hillary listed the problems you didn't
    Actually true in some ways. The Democrats have been giving some attention to drug addiction issues during this convention, which is a big problem in many parts of the northeast, something I don't recall hearing in the Republican convention.
    На Запад масивно сиви облаци
    Од Исток сонце и вистина излези
    Macedonia

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Caduet View Post
    This right here is legitimate insanity to me.

You are offered two drinks, one of which you know for a fact is poison and one that you cannot predict. For some reason you want us to drink the poison instead of taking a chance. I can't even fathom this. Esepcially if the main thing you don't like about the other one is that he hurt peoples' precious feelings with his meaniepie words.
    More like one drink we have had before that we know might not taste good but we know won't kill us.

And another drink we have never had but clearly advertises "Made with fresh battery acid!" right on the packaging.

True, we don't know for sure the second will kill us because we've never had it, but if we take it at face value we know it will be extremely bad for us.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    People get way too uppity on his stance on immigration and besides, if we ask to Muslims all over the world what they prefer between:
    -Hillary: -drones, use of terrorists to destabilize disliked regimes, possible invasions -being allowed to the US
    -Trump: -none of the above, including not being allowed to the US

I'm fairly sure most would say ''I don't give a crap about going to the US as long as my country is stable''.
    so... even though Trump is talking about how our current leaders are stupid and our military is weak and we're taking it easy on daesh, you're suggesting LESS involvement than there currently is? what do you Trump supporters think?

by the way, multiple countries ask the US to stay, they ask the US to run operations, they ask for US arms, they lease territory to the US for operations and they share intelligence, work together

US didnt destabilize Syria, Assad did that himself by leading an Alawite state in a Sunni majority country

Gaddafi lost control as well and depended on foreigners, ultimately the Arab Spring that swept through the region tested most countries

the US only really messed up in unilaterally entering Iraq, which is why it would be pretty stupid to vote for the same party that botched up the Iraq Resolution, even if its current candidate compliments Saddam

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Acco View Post
    Actually true in some ways. The Democrats have been giving some attention to drug addiction issues during this convention, which is a big problem in many parts of the northeast, something I don't recall hearing in the Republican convention.
    I don't know if they talked about it during the convention, because conventions are boring as
    But during the primarys, they definitely were talking about the drug addiction issue

Hillary helped take out Gaddafi
    Which counts as a plus...why exactly? Do you know what is the current state that Libya finds itself in?

Barrack took out Osama
    and fostered the formation of ISIS

Trump apparently offers to take out NATO and let Putin in
    Good for him. The USA is getting weaker as it becomes less stable and more polarized socially on the domestic front. Where once upon a time you could engage in nation-building, diffuse prosperity and provide security, in the past 30 years the only thing you have been capable of is instigating instability and chaos (Iraq, Kosovo, Libya, Syria, Ukraine, Georgia, support of Wahhabism). None in Europe except for some Baltic non-entities care about your efforts to strategically encircle Russia, which have all backfired since the '90s. Most are concerned about the destabilisation of the Middle East, which has created waves of migration and has sent ripples of radicalization that threaten to tear the EU apart. Trump offers to reverse the approach that makes the world less safe by the day.
    "Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to hurt his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of the immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured."
    Euripides

"This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which avails us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
    Augustine

I'm happy to see that animal welfare reform is on her list of major problems facing the country. Let's just give citizenship out to all the illegal migrants. Let's get rid of civil rights and due process. Let's create massive social programs when we're already running trillion dollar deficits and our debts are exceeding GDP. Let's raise taxes on everyone!
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; July 26, 2016 at 06:09 PM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

So why didn't Hillary list the problems I wanted to hear?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

The problem with Hillary's campaign is it's reactive rather than active. Trump's popularity isn't based on his platform or intelligence. It's based on charisma. He's won over millions of people because he says the things they want and things they can relate to. All Hillary does is get mired in scandals...

Quite literally the worst election in the last 40 years. And people were saying the last two were terrible. Ha.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Honestly I don't think there is even a comparison to a past election. This is like... I was going to say the election of Lyndon Johnson but that doesn't feel right. I guess we can compare it to the 2012 Obama vs Romney?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    So why didn't Hillary list the problems I wanted to hear?
    she's grounded in reality, not the biker bar reality which is what Trump excels at, but a "we came, we saw, he died" reality which few of these Berniebros understand because they are the type of people that read The Intercept and applaud Justin Trudeau withdrawing aircraft from targeting daesh

the path on the left is full withdrawal which is negligent and dangerous, the path on the right leads to holy and racial war which is negligent and dangerous

Hillary is taking the middle path of the road along with the majority of US citizens who aren't radicals, which is selective striking of actual terror groups instead of what the right is peddling which is generally: "Christians dindu nothing, we wuz plantation owners, Islam is a death cult, deus vult, ban travel from all Muslim countries, sic police state on Muslims, but it's not the right time yet for far-right militias to revolt"
    Last edited by snuggans; July 26, 2016 at 07:07 PM.

“Only weeks ago, in Orlando, Fla., 49 wonderful Americans were savagely murdered by an Islamic terrorist,” Trump said. “This time, the terrorist targeted the LGBTQ community. No good, and we’re going to stop it. As your president, I will do everything in my power to protect our LGBTQ citizens from the violence and oppression of a hateful foreign ideology. Believe me.”

“And I have to say, as a Republican, it is so nice to hear you cheering for what I just said. Thank you.”

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    More like one drink we have had before that we know might not taste good but we know won't kill us.
    but it is killing us. the disastrous bush years were followed by 8 years of black bush (but he was nicer to gays so hooray) and hillary has promised us 8 years of bush with a vagina.

im sick and goddamn tired of bushes. That's what we know we are getting with Clinton.

The only thing we know about Trump is that he has already proven that he has the ability to do the impossible. That's what we need right now. edit: and a wall.
    Last edited by Caduet; July 26, 2016 at 07:30 PM.

Sadly, I think that many of the last few posts are right. Trump is arguably less of a threat to world security than Hillary Clinton is. Drive ISIS out of their conquests, then just leave and stop trying to manipulate the situation. Bush Sr. had the sense to contain Hussein and leave with a preservation of some semblance of stability though that itself was a precursor to the neoconservative mess we have now. No matter who we support or who we oppose, we lose face. This kind of unending Byzantine labyrinth is exactly the kind of crap that Washington and Jefferson did not want the US to get caught up in because having come from a time of the Great Game between the powers that be, the US itself as a victim of Anglo-French proxy conflicts until 1815. The left wants to portray Trump as the maniac that would push the red button, but nothing he has said would ever indicate he has any intention of following the neoconservative nor the new left's power games. The lesson that sometimes the most rational move when faced with certain issues is to stand aside. Know when to step in and when not to. Sometimes people just need to fight it out and learn on their own, step in only if one of the guys is still beating on the other after they've went down. We needn't feed into the paranoia narrative the Russians and Salafists are using to justify their idiocy.

That being said, I still don't know if I have the stomach to compromise all the rest of my principles and give him my vote. I don't know if he deserves it, or if I'll just continue to do protest votes on third parties which I know doesn't count towards different outcomes, but certainly voting for the lesser of two evils hasn't turned out well for America either. For all we know, Trump could start a trade war with China. I don't really care if he pissed off the Latin countries because that's of little consequence, NAFTA is garbage anyway that is better off being dismantled.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    "As your president, I will do everything in my power to protect our LGBTQ citizens from the violence and oppression of a hateful foreign ideology. Believe me.”
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Default The race to the 2016 presidential race (former: Republican candidates)

Democrats are telling us about the real problems... Like air conditioners being more dangerous than ISIS. Speaking of, 61 speeches during the first DNC day and not one mention of ISIS. Yeah they're really highlighting the major problems facing the country

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...oned-isis-con/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tgoodenow; July 26, 2016 at 09:23 PM.

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

TIL talking about domestic issues is surrendering to ISIS
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior