Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: "Mare Umbrae" Revisited

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default "Mare Umbrae" Revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    I wouldn't change the setting of Mare Umbrae. It is at a timeframe/scenario that it is designed for.

Personally, I'd just reroute the lore, cut down the history from 10,000 to 1,000 (1,000 years is still plenty of time).

Some more changes that people would appreciate:
    - Lords are not regionalized; as in, merchants are spread out, not lumped together, etc.
    - More aliens. Theoretically infinite. All slaver lords can describe whatever for aliens on their planets.
    There will always be chances new aliens will appear.
    - More expansion. Colonialization, exploration etc.
    I'm mostly interested in reorganizing Mare Umbrae - with the obstacle being actual manpower, as we've all said.
    But if you're interested in at least sitting down and talking about it, HB (and whoever else is interested), then I'd be very pleased even with just that.

Here's some ideas I've had:

- Reorganization of the class designations:
    - We actually had the Empire divide the aristocracy into de facto castes based on very specific grounds. Very strange.
    I think we should loosen this, but still have a fine line. You sign up one type of lord, and that's what you get, bonuses and all.
    However, we should not have them all concentrated in the same regions, and typically not aligned with each other as makeshift political factions.
    I think we may also want to reexamine how the "Elder Lords" worked. Maybe we should focus on them having the most populous planets?

- Aliens, Aliens, Aliens:
    - We essentially had two specified alien species, and disallowed any alternatives. I realize the folly of this now.
    Those who would have control of previously inhabited planets, ie Slaver Lords, should be able to make up the species that lived there, generally.
    Also, more importantly, we should have "frontiers" all around us, and these far edges of the empire are where our Martial marchers should be.
    New aliens can also appear, especially if exploring/colonizing.

- Exploration, Colonization, Expansion:
    - Pretty self explanatory. There should be some ways to expand the reach of humanity's habitat, to find new worlds and resources, etc.

- Technology and Innovation:
    - First, I'd consider establishing some simple lore ideas that make the "science" of this world seem more realistic; this makes the people imagining it and RPing it take it much more seriously, and stop making up random weapons and calling it science at their own convenience. A good example is the Gundam series' Minovsky Particle; they used real Nuclear theory and equations to help add legitimacy to all seemingly fantastical things of the Gundams (beam sabers, giant mechas, etc). All they had to do was make up a fictional catalyst - an "x" factor we have theoretically not yet discovered.
    - Second, we need some clear ways to carry out technological advancement. I'm not really sure how to do this, as coming up with new technology might as well be making up random stuff through RP.
    But I'd like if there was a way to "bring it down to Earth" so to speak, and out of the clouds of fantasy.

I was also thinking we could reexamine resources.
    Things like Gas Giants could be good fuel sources, for example.
    Resources should be much more important than they were, I feel.

- Lore Changes:
    - First, change the timeline to maybe 1,000 years or less since the relevant history of the 21st century or so.
    - Second, maybe create some more concrete reasons why a select elite of people were able to establish themselves as feudal warlords with hereditary/familial inheritance and control for 1,000 years?
    - Less cryptic stuff. I was purposely trying to be cryptic with the history of the empire, but now I feel the opposite way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honors Bastion View Post
    @BF

The changes are decent (that's all I can say until I get something more tangible than just a few short descriptions) but it's going to require a pretty massive overhaul of the old MU rules as you will find them too limiting to be feasible with your changes. Below are a few of my thoughts on what you have said and what I know/learned from running GoT. Do keep in mind that I barely remember anything from the old MU so some of what I say may not make any sense at all.

Class System
    I think it would be best to just scrap the current system and redo everything regarding classes from the ground up but admittedly that is going to be difficult because I think that in order to do it properly you are going to need to create a new map of our little "galaxy" first. I do agree with spreading out the lords further away from each other, possibly with a little more randomization, as it's completely possible that as you colonize space, you will skip some planets first, maybe because of its climate, geography, hostile lifeforms etc, and colonize the easier planets before coming back to the skipped areas later on. From there, you can easily establish a few different older and possibly more populated areas here and there on the map with other planets in between like having a merchant planet in the middle of "elder" planet sections due to that one planet having the only connection between those two areas.

It would be something along the lines of having Terra surrounded by it's nearest populated areas and from there you can start branching out into little planet clusters per say. Each cluster could have one or a small group, say 2-3 planets, that were first colonized and are considered the "elder" planets using the old terminology followed by other planets that sprung up from these first elder planets kind of creating a lord and vassal system per say. You can then have in between these planet clusters another group of planets that server as gateways or nexuses that first sprung out from entrepreneurial men who saw the advantages from settling on those planets for profit.

There you have the basis of the elder lords and the merchants and all you would need to do is then create more clusters that get farther outward that can turn into the border worlds, slaver areas (being the original homeworlds of the aliens).

To give a little more interaction, you in theory want each cluster to have one overlord, similar to an LP that rules over that particular cluster who has a particular alignment, givign each area a lord and vassal situation that give more RP opportunists than just a Emperor to vassal situation which was the biggest bane of the old MU.

Aliens

I don't have much to say here except that there need to be some limitations. Regulating human-human interactions will be difficult enough. Something along the lines of each alien race being approved by a moderator first and discussed by the mod team is more than enough just to prevent confusion.

Exploration

We had a plan for exploration and colonization of new areas. It might be a good idea to take a look at that as I don't remember what it was. It probably needs to be fleshed out by a lot.

Technology

Tech advancements need to come in either of two forms: small changes that provide reasonable bonuses that can be easily be kept tracked of or big (and difficult to acquire/accomplish) that also can be kept track of. It won't work anyway as as we are still restricted to the mechanics that we have under our control.

Resources and Bonuses

This needs to be redesigned completely as they are rather boring bonuses for the most part. Integrating them with how a particular planet is can be interesting but it might be difficult to keep track of.

Along these lines, trading may need to be revamped in the process but how to do that I don't know.

Military Matters

Units on the whole need a revamping as they are somewhat generic and boring and don't really mater as the points are always the same in the end. In addition, you would need to roll some tests battles to see if the rules even make sense.

Lore

There's not much to say here except that we just need a stronger basis than what the old MU offered. We had so little to work on that it wasn't that interesting.
    I was thinking we could simply have the characters choose their "lord type", then have them choose a place on the map for it (with some restrictions of course; the marchers or whatever replaces them should always be near the border. Marchers from earlier eras would be farther in, and would have evolved into different kinds of lords, for example.The traditional elite-type fellows have to be within a certain reach of Earth, and so on, and/or other specifications)

Yeah, middle-ground lords would be good. There was no ducal rank to sit between our counts and emperors.
    However, I wonder if we could do it somewhat differently from GoT, as GoT has the problem of isolating the minor lords into their own regional "kingdoms" under the uber-powerful LPs
    Quote Originally Posted by Honors Bastion View Post
    My idea for a military system will slightly diverge away from the tradition levy system that we use in GoT in favor of a manpower system that somewhat resembles the manpower system in the Europa Universalis series.

Each planet (or planet system depending on how the players choose to portray themselves) starts with an initial manpower allotment and that planet gains a specific amount of manpower per year up to a specific point (say 125% of the initial number as an example).
    -- In addition to this, each planet will have a certain amount of soldiers that serve as a standing army and navy for that system durign peace time.
    -- If that planet wants to levy more men for a military campaign, then those soldiers will come out from the manpower allotment and have a recruitment cost (rped as the cost to train, outfit, and mobilize and equip those men) with a yearly upkeep cost (maintenance) assigned to them.
    -- All losses that are suffered in battle, including losses to the free upkeep troops, can only be replaced if you have the manpower to do so but will have no additional economic cost (in order not to complicate things).
    -- We can then create a list of units that have a specific manpower and economic cost with varying points values (to make easiest to calculate) in battle, with their own pros versus cons of course.

Now this may be easier to understand with a rough example:

Planet: Terra
    Basic Manpower: 1,000,000
    Manpower Recovery Rate: 10,000 (10% of basic)
    Maximum Manpower Resting Level: 1,500,000 (150% of basic
    Standing Military Allotment: 500,000 total manpower with total value in upkeep not exceeding 200,000 in worth. (This is split between both the army and navy and is up the player to decide his allotment)
    -- Army: 125,000 men with cost of 100,000 = 5 legions
    -- Navy: 375,000 men with cost of 100,000 = 50 ships
    Standing Army Point Values:
    -- Army:
    ---- Offense: 1,000 points
    ---- Defense: 5,000 points
    -- Navy:
    ---- Offense: 5,000 points
    ---- Defense: 3,000 points

Note: Numbers are being pulled out randomly.

From there, you can then integrate tech bonuses into increasing offensive/defensive points or something similar without making it overly complicated with all numbers easily workable into an excel calculator to make all the math really simple.

Default Re: "Mare Umbrae" Revisited

Reserved for Rules 1

Reserved for Rules 2

General Retreat's Avatar Policeman Pleb

I have got so much crap rattling around in my head about this, but I'll settle for one small suggestion for character creation for now.

In the last game, people tended to gravitate into voting blocks based on lord type. All of the Old Lords immediately clicked, the (few) slavers got along just peachy, the Marchers although unrepresented were functioning cohesively. In addition to lord type (which is now looking to be less rigidly geographic, which is excellent), selecting a political party on creation would be fantastic.

Have a few major parties that dominate, with conflicting objectives - actual attainable objectives - and ideologies. That way there might be some tension between what a character ideologically wants, and the risk of being branded a 'class traitor' if he alienated too many of his fellows.

Oh okay. One other thing. I'd also like to see Lords paying a set tax each week to whoever the Emperor is. 15 - 30% of their total income? Enough to cause a bit of IC resentment anyway, and offer an incentive for with-holding taxes as a form of protest. Or even eloping, and swearing allegiance to one of the rebel kingdoms on the periphery. I'm hoping they'll be getting some substance too, and not the M2TW treatment.
    Swords of the Sea: 1066 has come and gone, the Danelaw torn down and a new kingdom built in the image of its Norman rulers. But with time, wounds heal and what is broken can be reforged. The Danes have returned with steel, and seek to reclaim what is theirs.
    The Great Expedition: Pax Anglia, one of Earth's great empires, sprawling across the stars. On their newly colonised planet of Nova Sydney, adventure awaits on the savage frontier - Henry Boyce steps forward to lead an expedition to pierce the Bushlands' wild heart.
    Winter War: Finland, 1939. The Soviet war machine has begun its indomitable advance from the east. Of all its neighbours, only Finland stands alone in defiance. Conscript Anton Bezrukov prepares for a quick victory, but the reality is far bloodier...

So for history of the empire, I thought we could take a lot more cues from real history leading up to the 21st century, especially with pre-modern Empires and such.

Here's some plans I've thought up for rerouting/rewriting the history and lore of the Empire:
    It essentially follows a chronological plan like this.
    - Militaristic
    - Meritocratic
    - Militaristic II
    - Warlordism
    - Meritocratic II
    - Warlordism II
    - Divided Empire/Tetrarchy
    - Warlordism IV
    - Feudalism

All in all, Warlordism I and Warlordism II, for example, are not necessarily the same; In fact, please assume every single period is unique.
    Now let me explain them:

- Militaristic denotes a period where the Empire has become governed by military strong-men.
    This could mean anything from Fascist Military Junta to a coalition of Military Governors. What can be said is that the Empire in such a period will contain large, efficient armies, intent on crushing any perceived threat, within or without. This type of period is caused by such perceived threats, such as in the beginning when humanity was in danger of being wiped out.
    People in these periods, common and uncommon, found that it seemed the best course of action, to give the most societal focus to the men with guns.
    - Meritocratic denotes a period where the Empire has become focused on administration and bureaucracy, likely using men skilled in letters and numbers instead of those skilled with a pistol. In these periods, the government amassed as many skilled, literate individuals to it as it could, to best govern the empire, through court/administrative ranks, education, and examinations. The military aspect of the Empire often suffers under this system, as this system is often a rejection of Militarism or Warlordism.
    - Warlordism denotes a time where military strong men have failed to unite under a single flag, and have instead divided and essentially brought the Empire down to a period of warring states, official or not. Sometimes this occurs because of a demilitarized central government (ie, the Emperor commands only teachers and scholars, as in Meritocracy), and others times occurs because of civil wars in Militaristic periods. Warlords are defined as individuals with military power who usurp control of swathes of land, regardless of the actual national status of the land.
    - Divided Empire/Tetrarchy denotes a period probably coming after a period of Warlordism, where a few warlords have united most of the empire under them, but have decided to adopt a "divided/cooperative rule" instead of face each other down, likely using the rationale that the Empire is just to big for one government to handle, despite the obviously corrupt nature of dividing a state up like pieces of pie.
    - Feudalism, finally, derives from a period of Warlordism that went too far/too long, and this system of clans/houses ruling lands like mini-nations has become ingrained in culture and mindset. The Empire has managed to "unite" in a way, creating a "federal" system of warlords, known as feudalism.

Quote Originally Posted by General Retreat View Post
    I have got so much crap rattling around in my head about this, but I'll settle for one small suggestion for character creation for now.

In the last game, people tended to gravitate into voting blocks based on lord type. All of the Old Lords immediately clicked, the (few) slavers got along just peachy, the Marchers although unrepresented were functioning cohesively. In addition to lord type (which is now looking to be less rigidly geographic, which is excellent) is political party.

Have a few major parties that dominate, with conflicting objectives - actual attainable objectives - and ideologies. That way there might be some tension between what a character ideologically wants, and the risk of being branded a 'class traitor' if he alienated too many of his fellows.

I'd also like to see Lords paying a set tax each week to whoever the Emperor is. 15 - 30% of their total income? Enough to cause a bit of IC resentment anyway, and offer an incentive for with-holding taxes as a form of protest. Or even eloping, and swearing allegiance to one of the rebel kingdoms on the periphery. I'm hoping they'll be getting some substance too, and not the M2TW treatment.
    We're dumping the current set of "lord types". They won't be segregated on the map like that, and they generally shouldn't be forming factions based on these non-political backgrounds.

My suggestion for our new version of "lord types" is more like a type of "bonus" you choose for your 'house'.
    Essentially, players are given a list of bonuses to adopt to best fit how they envision their ruling dynasty and its history.
    What kind of world do they rule, how long have they been around, what kind of methods and attitudes are they characterized by, etc.

There will be restrictions of course; for example, the "militant" types will be disallowed from placing themselves on any "heartland" planets and must be close or at the frontiers of human space.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; January 14, 2015 at 07:25 PM.

Oh okay. One other thing. I'd also like to see Lords paying a set tax each week to whoever the Emperor is. 15 - 30% of their total income? Enough to cause a bit of IC resentment anyway, and offer an incentive for with-holding taxes as a form of protest. Or even eloping, and swearing allegiance to one of the rebel kingdoms on the periphery. I'm hoping they'll be getting some substance too, and not the M2TW treatment.
    If taxation was to be added, it probably would be tied to the class structure, with single-planet/system lords paying taxes to local overlords who pay in turn to the Dukes/'Lord Paramounts'/vassal kings, and then they pay a tax to the Emperor. This way, any protest/plotting will not just be targeted at the Emperor, but could affect multiple players if a Duke decides to heavily tax those under him to make up losses from the Imperial tax, so his vassals may revolt/swear fealty to his enemy/etc.. I also feel the Emperor receiving 15-30% of the player(and NPC?) lords' income per turn would make him incredibly overpowered in comparison to his vassals/rivals...something GoT games have proven to not be a good thing when the king/emperor has too much power as it stifles activity due to his/her position being too secure to be deposed. Example is what happened at the end of the original Blackfyre game.

Edit : Using the original Mare Umbrae rules, I calculated what a potential tax could make for the Emperor using the high and low ends of the suggested rate. It came out to roughly 733,650 to 1,467,300 credits a turn. This is presuming all lords pay the tax and not including trade or planetary income the Emperor/his house may have. So if a tax was to be implemented, perhaps a 1/5-20% system would be better.

The states on the periphery, are those not alien nations that likely would kill a defector over allowing them join, in theory?
    Last edited by Xion; January 14, 2015 at 07:47 PM.

He's referring to "defiant states" which may or may not exist in rejection of any current Emperor/Empress and his/her regime.
    The concept is based on breakaway kingdoms during historical Chinese dynasties.

But it's only been talked about on Skype chats, I think. Nothing serious. Just a possibility.

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Really liking the changes thus far

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

So for history of the empire, I thought we could take a lot more cues from real history leading up to the 21st century, especially with pre-modern Empires and such.

Here's some plans I've thought up for rerouting/rewriting the history and lore of the Empire:
    It essentially follows a chronological plan like this.
    - Militaristic
    - Meritocratic
    - Militaristic II
    - Warlordism
    - Meritocratic II
    - Warlordism II
    - Divided Empire/Tetrarchy
    - Warlordism IV
    - Feudalism

All in all, Warlordism I and Warlordism II, for example, are not necessarily the same; In fact, please assume every single period is unique.
    Now let me explain them:

- Militaristic denotes a period where the Empire has become governed by military strong-men.
    This could mean anything from Fascist Military Junta to a coalition of Military Governors. What can be said is that the Empire in such a period will contain large, efficient armies, intent on crushing any perceived threat, within or without. This type of period is caused by such perceived threats, such as in the beginning when humanity was in danger of being wiped out.
    People in these periods, common and uncommon, found that it seemed the best course of action, to give the most societal focus to the men with guns.
    - Meritocratic denotes a period where the Empire has become focused on administration and bureaucracy, likely using men skilled in letters and numbers instead of those skilled with a pistol. In these periods, the government amassed as many skilled, literate individuals to it as it could, to best govern the empire, through court/administrative ranks, education, and examinations. The military aspect of the Empire often suffers under this system, as this system is often a rejection of Militarism or Warlordism.
    - Warlordism denotes a time where military strong men have failed to unite under a single flag, and have instead divided and essentially brought the Empire down to a period of warring states, official or not. Sometimes this occurs because of a demilitarized central government (ie, the Emperor commands only teachers and scholars, as in Meritocracy), and others times occurs because of civil wars in Militaristic periods. Warlords are defined as individuals with military power who usurp control of swathes of land, regardless of the actual national status of the land.
    - Divided Empire/Tetrarchy denotes a period probably coming after a period of Warlordism, where a few warlords have united most of the empire under them, but have decided to adopt a "divided/cooperative rule" instead of face each other down, likely using the rationale that the Empire is just to big for one government to handle, despite the obviously corrupt nature of dividing a state up like pieces of pie.
    - Feudalism, finally, derives from a period of Warlordism that went too far/too long, and this system of clans/houses ruling lands like mini-nations has become ingrained in culture and mindset. The Empire has managed to "unite" in a way, creating a "federal" system of warlords, known as feudalism.
    I am really really liking this new set up for the lore that will cover 1,000 years of the Empire's history. You know that I will gladly offer to write this up as you know I am good at writing history and timelines for settings, BF.

I am gonna have to agree on Xion with this, GR. The Emperor would become overpowering which wouldn't make it any fun for other players. Plus a tax each week to the Emperor just seems tedious and unnecessary. The Emperor will have a good standard income like we have done for GoT where the King is able to rely upon the income from King's Landing alone without a taxation mechanic that makes every LP give him a portion of the revenue each year. There will be plenty of features and mechanics that will result in IC resentment and cause friction within the Empire as well as between the Emperor and his subordinates.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; January 14, 2015 at 09:31 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Not necessarily.
    The Emperor doesn't necessarily get an economic boost just from being Emperor.
    He also has to pay for the actual governance of the empire and is responsible for its defense.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I'd really like to see less uniform "law & order" across the empire, I'd like certain planets to be dens of crime and villainy like Nar Shadda, Nal Hutta or Tatooine in Star Wars. I'd like to see places where the emperor theoretically holds sway but no one really pays him or his system much mind, or even better places that owe loyalty to the emperor where the locals hate the empire, places where pirates are "beyond the reach of the law" (as long as they haven't raided an actual imperial freighter) and smugglers can find safe harbor - think along the lines of the outer rim or even Hutt space in Star Wars. I'd also like to see more dynamic Alien-Human relations, even in a human centric society there would certainly be free aliens in number (I mean there were plenty of free blacks in the Old South), many planets probably wouldn't even need enslavement just keep the local populace poor and use them as cheap (and more important willing) labor. Sure free aliens would probably live in ghettos (in the old use of the word) like any oppressed minority, and many would join criminal organizations or pirates or even armed resistances or the "defiant states", but that'd make the word more unique and vibrant. I don't want to see the strange caricatures we saw in the last game where there were no free "reptilians" and those same enslaved aliens refused to work with anyone, even people who worked against the system that kept them in bondage.

I must say I really like the idea of the "defiant states", though I'd like to see these states prescribing to different ideology not just "disliking" the emperor. Perhaps they abolished slavery in their systems, formed a republic, rallied under a Hitler figure that militarized their systems, follow different space-faiths or anything really.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    I'd really like to see less uniform "law & order" across the empire, I'd like certain planets to be dens of crime and villainy like Nar Shadda, Nal Hutta or Tatooine in Star Wars. I'd like to see places where the emperor theoretically holds sway but no one really pays him or his system much mind, or even better places that owe loyalty to the emperor where the locals hate the empire, places where pirates are "beyond the reach of the law" (as long as they haven't raided an actual imperial freighter) and smugglers can find safe harbor - think along the lines of the outer rim or even Hutt space in Star Wars.
    If you're asking for a place where rogue characters can run to and be mechanically immune to any reprisals by other players, that's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    I must say I really like the idea of the "defiant states", though I'd like to see these states prescribing to different ideology not just "disliking" the emperor. Perhaps they abolished slavery in their systems, formed a republic, rallied under a Hitler figure that militarized their systems, follow different space-faiths or anything really.
    Any that exist at start would be NPC and unplayable, serving the purpose of "something to kill."
    Ones that may be formed by successful player rebellions would still be monarchical.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; January 15, 2015 at 02:41 AM.

General Retreat's Avatar Policeman Pleb

Well, dead systems - abandoned due to economic hardship/failure, ecological crisis, disaster, long past catastrophic military bombardment, etc could serve a similar purpose. A bit like GoT's ruined holdfasts, they'd be perfect for pirates to build bases in and operate from because they wouldn't be connected to the warp gate network and no-one else would have a reason to visit them.

Alternately, pirates could launch raids from friendly NPC kingdoms on the periphery? That'd be a nice effect because it'd make the frontier more dangerous and the edges of the Empire more risky by default.

Thinking of which, I'd be strongly in favour of most abandoned / rebel planets not being displayed on the map until someone sent a fleet / character out to explore and discover them. Obviously the more notorious rebel kingdoms that are pushing up against Imperial borders will be known, but further in should be more of a mystery.

And I take all your point's about taxes going to the Emperor. If taxes were included, it'd probably be best to simply delete the money without sending it to anyone - it'd be going directly to the Imperial treasury, which the Emperor doesn't have personal access to. Perhaps have the Emperor's base income vary based on how many lords are paying their taxes? That sounds needlessly complex though.
    Last edited by General Retreat; January 15, 2015 at 06:06 AM.
    Swords of the Sea: 1066 has come and gone, the Danelaw torn down and a new kingdom built in the image of its Norman rulers. But with time, wounds heal and what is broken can be reforged. The Danes have returned with steel, and seek to reclaim what is theirs.
    The Great Expedition: Pax Anglia, one of Earth's great empires, sprawling across the stars. On their newly colonised planet of Nova Sydney, adventure awaits on the savage frontier - Henry Boyce steps forward to lead an expedition to pierce the Bushlands' wild heart.
    Winter War: Finland, 1939. The Soviet war machine has begun its indomitable advance from the east. Of all its neighbours, only Finland stands alone in defiance. Conscript Anton Bezrukov prepares for a quick victory, but the reality is far bloodier...

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Out of curiosity, at what age would a character's death rolls begin? In the far future, pharmaceuticals will be incredibly advanced, thereby making people live longer. Should the death rolls begin at say 90 or 100 years?

Here's the old rule's thread for MU if you are curious. The death rolls are mentioned somewhere in there. We will be making a lot of changes to it.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...e-Rules-Thread

Citizen

And I take all your point's about taxes going to the Emperor. If taxes were included, it'd probably be best to simply delete the money without sending it to anyone - it'd be going directly to the Imperial treasury, which the Emperor doesn't have personal access to. Perhaps have the Emperor's base income vary based on how many lords are paying their taxes? That sounds needlessly complex though.
    When it comes to a public treasury for a state, we don't have anything specific for it. Sometimes we rp mentioning it like "Oh we have a surplus wealth that we could spend on some random project" or "Oh revenues have been down this year due to whatever reason." The Emperor's income is just a balanced number really. He has the highest income above everyone else. Nothing really to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylord_Conor21 View Post
    Out of curiosity, at what age would a character's death rolls begin? In the far future, pharmaceuticals will be incredibly advanced, thereby making people live longer. Should the death rolls begin at say 90 or 100 years?
    Death rolls begin at 80, according to the old MU rules. Thats under the Character's tab. Something that should be mentioned, Prometheanism is against mechanical enhancements unless they are necessary (such as helping someone hear, talk and see). So if you have a major disability and desire to the means to help yourself, then it is acceptable. But to say oh I am gonna get enhanced limbs when you already have legs is a sin in their views.

To quote the thread where Prometheanism is described:
    That the Human physical form may not be altered; and that Humans may not be replaced by alternate intelligence or machines. To further explain, evolution was declared only acceptable if natural, and to use highly intelligent machines or to replace bodily organs with false ones was to be put to death.
    However, this definition may change with the setting, we shall have to see.

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

This is interesting

I find the Marcher lords most interesting and would like to make a rather pious almost zealot like human supremacist faction
    Low speed, High Drag

Citizen

Ace you skipped this:
    We're dumping the current set of "lord types". They won't be segregated on the map like that, and they generally shouldn't be forming factions based on these non-political backgrounds.

My suggestion for our new version of "lord types" is more like a type of "bonus" you choose for your 'house'.
    Essentially, players are given a list of bonuses to adopt to best fit how they envision their ruling dynasty and its history.
    What kind of world do they rule, how long have they been around, what kind of methods and attitudes are they characterized by, etc.

There will be restrictions of course; for example, the "militant" types will be disallowed from placing themselves on any "heartland" planets and must be close or at the frontiers of human space.
    I am saying you skipped this because this also means that Marcher Lords and any 'Lord' for that matter from the old MU rules will no longer be around in the new setting.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; January 15, 2015 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Ace you skipped this:

I am saying you skipped this because this also means that Marcher Lords and any 'Lord' for that matter from the old MU rules will no longer be around in the new setting.
    Well, technically that's not completely true since any "Lord" whose planet is on the border with an alien "realm" will still be considered a marcher in the context of their location but yeah, Marcher Lords by the old definition are gone.

Also, I have no idea what the new class system may be and we have only gotten a glimpse so far from what BF has in mind.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    When it comes to a public treasury for a state, we don't have anything specific for it. Sometimes we rp mentioning it like "Oh we have a surplus wealth that we could spend on some random project" or "Oh revenues have been down this year due to whatever reason." The Emperor's income is just a balanced number really. He has the highest income above everyone else. Nothing really to it.

Death rolls begin at 80, according to the old MU rules. Thats under the Character's tab. Something that should be mentioned, Prometheanism is against mechanical enhancements unless they are necessary (such as helping someone hear, talk and see). So if you have a major disability and desire to the means to help yourself, then it is acceptable. But to say oh I am gonna get enhanced limbs when you already have legs is a sin in their views.

To quote the thread where Prometheanism is described:

However, this definition may change with the setting, we shall have to see.
    Except mechanics are unrequired when it comes to extending human life. For a lord, who has money and a comfortable lifestyle, his life is already extended. However, when you add advanced forms of medicine into the mix, it gets higher still. For example I think the average life span in the UK is 74? Don't quote me on that, but it is somewhere near that figure. 1000 years on, it is safe to assume that medicine is so advanced that it should probably be nearer 100 than 80.

Also, do we have any time scales? I just read the old rules and it has gotten me really excited for this game.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast