Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night lighting in Attila

Default Night lighting in Attila

One of the iconic things (to me at least) about Barbarian Invasion was its night lighting. Units held torches that gave off their own realistic light and fire projectiles gave off their own realistic light. It was really impressive and scary to see a barbarian horde lit up by hundreds of torches and it really added to the spectacle of night battles. I would like to see this type of lighting make its return in Attila.

Default Re: Night lighting in Attila

*Looks at second pic*

OMG look at all those TORCHES! THE CITY IS DOOMED!

I would love to finally see proper light effects with torches and not a white light.

Would be super epic with the new graphics and effects

But probably they didn't changed it and its still the same as RTW II. "Simpel change that adds so mutch more immersion to Night Battles" So CA what is stopping you!.
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Blackberry, you are creating a great number of threads on various extremely interesting improvements idea/suggestion

From where I stand, I can guess you have been playing old games and found a lot of inspiration and old ideas that should be restored! The past is full of glory and there is many things in the TW brand that should make a come back and night battles lightning quality is indeed one.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I really liked Shogun 2's night battles. They still had the spotlight problem, but it was way less noticeable. On top of that, the effects for night were magnificent.

It really had wonderful art direction. I wonder what happened.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    I really liked Shogun 2's night battles. They still had the spotlight problem, but it was way less noticeable. On top of that, the effects for night were magnificent.

Word. Shogun II was by far the most polished TW game ever released in terms of aesthetics.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Yes yes yes. These are the "small" things that are missing that give the game soul. Those screens look way more epic and atmospheric than any screenshot you could take of Rome II. A great example of aesthetics winning over graphics.
    Last edited by agent 47; January 14, 2015 at 08:23 PM.

In Rome 2, I try to make all soldiers carrying torches, and it looks like this.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Normally, without spotlight it looks like this.

Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; January 15, 2015 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by ysl View Post
    In Rome 2, I try to make all soldiers carrying torches, and it looks like this.

Normally, without spotlight it looks like this.

The lighting isn't great but that's still better than the spotlights, even if just he officers are carrying them. Are you going to release it or is it not in working order.? If the lighting is moddable it could be made to look better, maybe even some tweaking of the GEMFX shaders would make it look ok, as the vanilla lighting isn't great.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; January 15, 2015 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added spoilers

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by blackberryalpha View Post

guys im not too familiar with BI, never played it but i have it in my steam library.

Was the lighting really like this or was this just from a cut scene ?
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

One torch need have a x100 lightning zone though. The particle effects in R2 are so performance heavy, if you put more than a handful of torches in each unit, the game would freeze as hell for the great majority of the players.

I still think a lightning mod is possible even in R2, I even wonder if its not already the case somewhere in the workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by agent 47 View Post
    The lighting isn't great but that's still better than the spotlights, even if just he officers are carrying them. Are you going to release it or is it not in working order.? If the lighting is moddable it could be made to look better, maybe even some tweaking of the GEMFX shaders would make it look ok, as the vanilla lighting isn't great.
    To make all soldiers carrying torches, the only way I know is tweaking memory mechine code.
    To remove spotlight is a lot easier. All you need is changing the byte value at memory address "rome2.dll+1CC6788" to 0. Not sure if this can be achieved by a mod, though.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post

I`m playing S2 at the moment. I don`t see anything wrong with the night lighting at all. In fact, it`s hard to believe that the same people who made S2, made R2.

There were so many things wrong with Rome 2 and it was so unfinished that they simply haven`t been able to catch up to fixing the ludicrous beam spotlights in the game. Even now, that most of us have mentioned it and they MUST know about it by now, they still can`t get round to fixing it. They may even now just have given up on it. Incompetence I call it.

Be interesting if it`s still in Atilla.

To make all soldiers carrying torches, the only way I know is tweaking memory mechine code.
    To remove spotlight is a lot easier. All you need is changing the byte value at memory address "rome2.dll+1CC6788" to 0. Not sure if this can be achieved by a mod, though.
    I and lots of others would definitely be interested in this. How does this work in battles though? They can't hold torches and fight at the same time can they? I think only giving them to officers or bearers would probably be the best compromise anyway.

You should definitely release it, your other tweaks are great too.

Quote Originally Posted by agent 47 View Post
    I and lots of others would definitely be interested in this. How does this work in battles though? They can't hold torches and fight at the same time can they? I think only giving them to officers or bearers would probably be the best compromise anyway.

You should definitely release it, your other tweaks are great too.
    Before loading into a battle, changing memory machine code at address "rome2.dll+6143E1" from 74 64 to EB 11 can force all soldiers to carry a torch. You can try to witness it yourself.
    (I have to remind you that many in-game actions are accompanied by memory code check of pre-determined memory sections. If a specific action detects it, the game will crash.)

They do everything as normal except that a torch is attached to their right hand, which can look hilarious sometimes. Their ordinary weapons are either replaced or invisible.
    For example, when a unit is in pike phalanx, their pikes are invisible, only a torch at right hand, but enemies still get stabbed 5 meter in front of them, just like they normally would.
    The main problem is that game can be laggy with large number of soldiers, light sources, and smoke. The illumination from multiple torches also makes soldiers a little too brightened for my taste.

To see the effect with large army, I bring 6400 oathsworns and prevent them from turning into 2D sprites so that they always carry torches. I also force all torch light to appear regardless of their distance from camera. This is how it looks like:

Last edited by ysl; January 16, 2015 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee786 View Post
    Was the lighting really like this or was this just from a cut scene ?
    Yes, the lighting is portrayed rather accurately and perhaps it's even better, as the image resolution is very low. However, keep in mind that you'll need to play really huge battles, to have such an impressive effect. With normal scale units it'll look much worse.

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

Before loading into a battle, changing memory machine code at address "rome2.dll+6143E1" from 74 64 to EB 11 can force all soldiers to carry a torch. You can try to witness it yourself.
    (I have to remind you that many in-game actions are accompanied by memory code check of pre-determined memory sections. If a specific action detects it, the game will crash.)

They do everything as normal except that a torch is attached to their right hand, which can look hilarious sometimes. Their ordinary weapons are either replaced or invisible.
    For example, when a unit is in pike phalanx, their pikes are invisible, only a torch at right hand, but enemies still get stabbed 5 meter in front of them, just like they normally would.
    The main problem is that game can be laggy with large number of soldiers, light sources, and smoke. The illumination from multiple torches also makes soldiers a little too brightened for my taste.

To see the effect with large army, I bring 6400 oathsworns and prevent them from turning into 2D sprites so that they always carry torches. I also force all torch light to appear regardless of their distance from camera. This is how it looks like:

Amazing
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

I would like to see a screen where only a handful of men per unit have torches. I presume the frame rate would be better too

Quote Originally Posted by Butan View Post
    I would like to see a screen where only a handful of men per unit have torches. I presume the frame rate would be better too
    I bring 4800 royal spartans, make 1/5 of them to carry torches and take some screenshots.

1. I set 3D infantry range as 250 and those beyond it will turn into 2D sprites with no torches.

2. Use N zoom to the closest and it looks like this.

Some other pics

The torch spread is too regular between units, if you could have it more randomly it would be perfect. Except that, we can all see that it looks both marvelous and the frame rate isnt too low.

I think a lot of people would like to have that in their mods. Great work!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast