Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Warhammer TW Wishlist.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Warhammer TW Wishlist.

Let's put this here while we wait for a proper Warhammer TW subforum.

So, what do you guys hope is in the upcoming Warhammer TW game? What are your hopes and fears? What features do you absolutelly want to be in?

My personal few (in no particular order):

• Proper implementation of flying units.
    • Proper implementation of magic (spells, gods, summons, etc...) (also, epic visuals/particle effects)
    • Not just a "re-skin". Don't want a normal TW with a Warhammer models, we have Call of Warhammer for that. A Warhammer game deserves to be built from scratch with its own unique mechanics.
    • Unique units that are more than just a big/flashy unit with inflated stats (that meaning unique mechanics, animations, etc. Units should "feel" different and not just the standard soldier with a different 3d model and slightly modified stats). Example of what I mean. A giant with a club should not sit there autoattacking a normal infantryman with 10 attack power instead of 1, he should be sweeping with this club sending several enemy soldiers in the air (think of Sauron in the opening Battle of TLotR: The Fellowship of the Ring). Just check, for instance, how in "Battle for Middle Earth" a Troll feels like a Troll and not an oversized infantryman, and an oliphaunt feels like an oliphaunt and not a big knight... or how heroes like Gandalf would fight launching spells and stuff, besides their activated abilities. How a Nazgul would drop from the sky, grab a couple of horsemen and throw them back to the ground. How the Balrog was so freaking big that he could attack infantry atop walls with his sword. They should definitely take a look at that game. If a mediocre game from 2004 did it, I don't see why CA couldn't.
    • Possible RPG elements (some sort of progression and equipment for champions).
    • Possible 3d person control of champions (probably will be a discussed feature, but given the Warhammer setting, it would make perfect sense, although definitely not a priority.
    • NEW ENGINE (no excuses, just ditch the current one. It won't work and you know it).
    • Achieving the feeling of a tabletop pitched battle.
    • Some degree of creative freedom when it comes to unit design. Some Warhammer units are REALLY outdated. Don't want to feel like I'm playing a game based on an 80's movie starring David Bowie. Also, making a 3d model with total shape freedom is not the same as designing a 28mm tall miniature with clear size and material limitations (for instance, in Warhammer they tend to oversize weapons and limbs so they don't break, but a exact copy of that design might look bad in-game).
    • Gore/brutality adapted to Warhammer standards.
    • accentuated imbalance between units (like a giant being able to destroy loads of, say goblins, for himself, or even some units being completely unable to attack others, for instance if you have flying units and the enemy has nothing to counter them, or even some units being invulnerable to certain attacks, like steam tanks to, say, archers). That would make for more interesting counterplay strategies. And if you have no option but to run and hide, then run and hide.
    • Avoid the ridiculous location names present in fan-made content (which they got from random places in the world map without caring what those names would inspire in those who actually know them). I'd be completely out of immersion if a band of orcs attacked... say Sitges, which for those who don't know, it's an actual place, and kind of iconic because of hosting a reasonably well known international film festival. Hell... I just noticed they even have Essen there ¬¬. I can get that some of the names more related to medieval history (say Carcasonne, or some of the Aztec names used for the Lizardmen) might make sense... but others are just way too iconic nowdays to allow immersion.
    • Asymmetry between factions. Warhammer factions are very different from each other. They don't have to just look different... they have to feel and play different. Anything under Starcraft or Warcraft 3 (without so much care for unit balancing) would be a disappointment.
    • Backfiring mechanics.
    • Armies of the same faction playing completely different depending on the army setup and the champions.
    • Don't neglect small, weak units. Things like goblins are cool as hell and should stay that way. They should have a role other than what peasants fulfil in current total wars.
    • Try to avoid photorrealistic graphics. The game should not just be based on a fantasy setting, should feel like a fantasy setting, like an illustration. I think games like Sacrifice, Warcraft 3, American McGee's Alice, or, specially, Trine did a good job on this. Of course Warhammer is grimmer, but you get the idea.
    • Army setup/customization should be an important feature in the game.
    • If minor factions with no available official references (like Tilea, Estalia or Araby) are to be included, make them fully fledged, with interesting, researched and creative rosters, rather than just giving each a couple of uninspired historical units (like an exact copy of an actual conquistador for Estalia).
    • Flying units that can land at will and fight as ground units. Maybe similar to the current mount/dismount feature. (also, they should be able to crash when they die, crushing some troops)
    • Changing terrain conditions: be it from spells or from destroyed units. It would be interesting if some mage could create a zone in the terrain that could suck/pull/repel/deny access to/etc other units (or if some shaman could invoke some kind of sand-worm a la Star Wars which would start grabbing and swallowing nearby troops, you could even use your troops higher mass/push capacity to push a enemy unit into this kind of thing).

A good inspiration for this would be the game Sacrifice, in which you have access to powerful spells that range from creating several kinds of walls (impassable, slowing, damaging, etc), invoking an eruption that will knock away all the units on it, or even making a huge hole in the ground making all the units standing on that area to fall into the void below (not to mention the ability to launch an explosive supercow into your enemies, called "Bovine Intervention"). I've pasted some videos down below.

Also, imagine that a really big, say dragon, is killed in the middle of the battle line, it would be interesting if that created an area o impassable (yet maybe destroyable) terrain, providing new cover and/or forcing further flanking manoeuvres). Think of a destroyed tank remaining on the battlefield in Company of Heroes, blocking streets and providing new cover for infantry).
    • The quality bar of some technical features really needs to be raised and/or adapted. Animations, textures, mass/unit collision... all will be key to achieve the fantasy, the brutality the variety to make battles in Warhammer "feel right". Copy-pasting animations and/or too a small ammount of them would probably be a disaster, textures should (in my opinion) try to emulate to some degree how miniatures look rather than going hyperrealistic, mass and collision will be key to achieve that feeling of variety and asymetry between units, a band of armored orks clashing against some petty goblins should be but also feel devastating and one sided.

_
    Now that I think of it, there is yet another game that I would LOVE them to copy for TW in general and Warhammer in particular, and that is XCOM. There are so many features in that game that I'd love to see applied to TW... the meaningful pre-battle setup (composition, equipment), the constant sense of fear, actions actually having real consequences, going into battles not knowing what you are going to find and having to adapt to whatever happens as they develop...

Some inspiration:

Recount (last updated 11/May) - (It's synthesized, sorry about any mistakes):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

* A few extra more general TW suggested features and fixes (post #136): http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14500306
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 23, 2016 at 11:27 PM.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Warhammer TW Wishlist.

My list:
    *upgrade warscape to 64bit
    *include Dark Elves
    *a 3rd person control of a character in a battle.
    *A multiple count system for Empire
    *a god system so a Empire player can go renegade
    *magic to summon in deamons or undead
    *monsters! dragons, hydras and so on
    *if its a high elves vs dark elves, then please add sea monsters.
    Last edited by Karnil Vark Khaitan; January 15, 2015 at 11:27 AM.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Make all armies feel different. Make them viable. For example - make it possible to field entire night goblin army (I used that to some degree of success as army, and it felt glorious ) with all kind of crazy stuff. Imagine all that crazy fanatics, skydivers, squigs, shamans overdosing mushrooms.

For the love of Tzeentch, do not make different chaos factions as Undivided Chaos, Tzeentch, Khorne, Slaneesh, Nurgle but rather have few chaos factions (name them somehow) and then let them choose which path do they want to follow. If all of them decide to unite and work as followers of one god or undivided let it be. But I do not want to have artificially divided Chaos Factions. And also get rid of the Chaos Daemons as separate thing. Integrate them back into chaos hordes.

Also split Skavens into few warlord clans. Make that as Skaven clan you should earn and buy favours from major clans and Council of Thirteen.

Some proper necromancy and stuff as VC - maybe reintroduce 6ed bloodlines? Maybe return some of the standard undead factions not connected to the VC and Khemri? (Like Lichmaster Heinrich von Kemmler). Give proper respect to Tomb Kings faction. (And please do not make them have utterly suckfest light "fast" cavalry as they used to have in 6ed.)

Wood Elves should be great at fighting in/from forest, and it could be probably the first faction in any TW that would at last receive major benefits from the type of terrain they are fighting in?

Dark Elves/High Elves - besides some fancy magic I think there is not to much that could require attention or could be royally screwed. Executioners however must be included in game.

Next things I'll probably update later
    How many times someone guessed wrong about my nationality: 3
    Where do I not come from: Czech Republic, US, South America, Former Colony, Germany, Austria, Switzerland

There are 2 things I really want:

1. include all current factions. There is nothing more annoying than your favourite faction missing.

2. Use the "current" world. I personally don't like End Times and the upcoming 9th edition does not look that promising either. Rather start with the 8th and make the 9th as a seperate game or sort of "campaign" (like Atilla to Rome2 or HatG to Rome2).

Other than that I'm fine with everything they give to us. But it would be really nice if all factions really differ from one another. If Dark Elves play the same way as Vampire Counts but with different models... that would also be a huge let down.

No warscape! Then we can talk.

We don't even know the setting, though it's really probably the End Times (seeing how GW is trying to push this on and on). Buuut I hope for a Sigmar or Ulric expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yayattasa View Post
    We don't even know the setting, though it's really probably the End Times (seeing how GW is trying to push this on and on). Buuut I hope for a Sigmar or Ulric expansion.
    I haven't followed GW and anything warhammer related for about 2 years. But in most cases I see people disgusted somehow by this End Times thing, what's exactly the problem with it?
    Where do I not come from: Czech Republic, US, South America, Former Colony, Germany, Austria, Switzerland

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Zwirbaum View Post
    I haven't followed GW and anything warhammer related for about 2 years. But in most cases I see people disgusted somehow by this End Times thing, what's exactly the problem with it?
    1d4chan has a great summery of it all, but I am not a huge fan of the whole end times thingie, I like my own fan fic!!!
    thats why I think a total war game would work well in a pre "end times" setting, the other is a mess.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Don't really know much about Warhammer, but I certainly agree with this list, especially since you seem extremely knowledgeable on the subject. Here's to CA doing Warhammer justice!
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    Don't really know much about Warhammer, but I certainly agree with this list, especially since you seem extremely knowledgeable on the subject. Here's to CA doing Warhammer justice!

Oh, if you are talking about my list, not particularly, I liked the Warhammer setting as a kid (more like toys than anything else) and I definatelly see it like a perfect chance to make a legendary pc game, but I never really got into it (besides painting a few miniatures). I know close to nothing about lore, units or factions.

If I was knowledgeable about what different units of different factions can do, this my list would probably be 2 pages long ^^. I hear there are a lot of interesting unique mechanics in Warhammer.

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

All I hope a fantasy setting such as Warhammer will allow CA to become a bit more inventive feature-wise and get rid of the shackles of previous installments of the TW series. Some of the things in the OP will go a long way towards that.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasete View Post
    Oh, if you are talking about my list, not particularly, I liked the Warhammer setting as a kid (more like toys than anything else) and I definatelly see it like a perfect chance to make a legendary pc game, but I never really got into it (besides painting a few miniatures). I know close to nothing about lore, units or factions.

If I was knowledgeable about what different units of different factions can do, this my list would probably be 2 pages long ^^. I hear there are a lot of interesting unique mechanics in Warhammer.
    Well, it's a good list either way. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on the project, CA could do some really interesting and new things.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

I think games like Sacrifice, Warcraft 3, American McGee's Alice, or, specially, Trine did a good job on this.
    Those were fantasy games while Warhammer is Dark Fantasy.

Think more like Warhammer: Mark of Chaos.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

Wishlist for Warhammer: Total War?

- Nothing like Spartan: Total Warrior

As long as CA don't water down the Total War-ness to fulfil this license I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    *include Dark Elves
    This man knows whats up.

I'd love to see a Total War game generating a Warhammer World rather than a Warhammer game on my computer. The last Warhammer licence, whose name escapes me, was around about the same time as Shogun: Total War ...and far, far, far inferior.

I'd like:

- sense of internal logic and realism despite the magic and monsters content
    - believable physics, representing vast power differentials i.e. snotlings and Dragons
    - characters and magic items represented adding salt to the gameplay, but not dominating over tactics and strategy
    - balanced and effective magic
    - high level turn based play allowing us to choose our favourite factions and... CONQUER THE HIGH ELVES
    - highly customisable so gamers can develop their own warbands and armies from whatever faction they please

Basically, to take the best of Total War; realism, and add the best of Warhammer; compelling and complex magical world.

Go, Go, Creative Assembly!

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Costin_Razvan View Post
    Those were fantasy games while Warhammer is Dark Fantasy.

Think more like Warhammer: Mark of Chaos.
    I'm not talking about the setting, but about how they managed to make it feel like fantasy. The particles, the different lighting, etc. Haven't played Mark of Chaos, but for the videos I've seen, I'd say Trine does a much better job at creating a fantasy atmosphere. You know, that kind of visuals in which the air is so thick that it feels like you can almost chew it.

That said, Warhammer is meant to be grim and it should stay that way. But it's still grim fantasy. If you prefer, you can use Warhammer illustrations as a reference (although some are a bit over the top and not top quality). For instance:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by HigoChumbo; January 14, 2015 at 02:26 PM.

SteamPunk's Avatar Civis

Here's a few ideas I have.

Faction dependant diplomacy
    Dwarfs should not be able to enter into any sort of diplomacy with greenskins for example. High elves should never be able to trade with the dark elves.

Conquered settlement specific building's
    For example, elves Conquer a dwarf settlement in the mountains. The elves shouldn't be able to build 'singing tree barracks' or whatever. There should be a different building chain for factions that Conquer regions outside their home territory.

Skaven to be able to infiltrate city's from the sewers during a seige

First and second illustration is from the Warhammer Mark of Chaos game

@T.D. The Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat were great games. Mark of Chaos was okay, but unfortunately not as good as Dark Omen.

Let's start with some theme

- a lot more Hordes than Attila ( Skavens, Orcs and Goblins, Chaos Warbands, Norsca (?))
    - playable Undeads ( von Carstein, Blood Dragon, Khemri Tomb Kings)
    - Imperial States and Civil Wars
    - grim and dark atmosphere of the game
    - balanced siege weapons (catapults, trebuchet vs cannons)
    - limited magic

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    As long as CA don't water down the Total War-ness to fulfil this license I'll be happy.
    Well, I guess we would have to define what Total War-ness is.

If it's about big ass, real time battles, then I'm all in, as for the rest, I'd rather rethink the whole thing. As I said, my biggest fear for this game has always been that it felt like a TW mod or expansion rather than a proper fantasy game.

Inclusion of Warhammer Forge models - this includes things like Chaos Dwarfs, War Mammoths, Toad Dragons, , K'Daai.
    Seperation between different factions - for example, the High Elves are not all of a uniform appearance - those from Cothique are different from those in Caledor, for example. Even if it's just different colours.
    Having settlements with support values for particular factions - perhaps tying into said Uniform appearance. For example, State Troops from a major Ostland settlement would have a different appearance to those from a major Averland settlement.
    Reinclude Dogs of War Regiments of Renown
    Magic should prove to be nearly as dangerous to the caster as it is powerful. If ever there was a time for random magical abilities occuring, this is it. Controllable magic, like Arcane Fulcrums, or Purple Suns etc are brilliant.
    Orcs and Greenskins shouldn't be like regular factions. While the Horde faction idea from Attila is a decent starting point, it needs more, perhaps an economy based on War?

Campaigns focused on major events in history; i.e The Sundering, Age of the Three Emperors, The Crowning of the Everchosen, Gilles the Uniter's campaigns, Tamurkhan, The War of Vengeance, etc.

Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast