Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Questions regarding the RC unit statistics scheme/system

Default Re: Questions regarding the RC unit statistics scheme/system

Here's a revised version of that: http://www.mediafire.com/view/v0b2yw...ing_System.txt

Go down to where it says "SUPS 2", below the ###########.

hmmm interesting

I might give it a try at this pricing system for Titanium

Apani's Avatar Senator

Thanks. Just one thing - shouldn't locals cost less than mercenaries? Aren't they fighting with no payment?

Well...Locals should be inhabitants with a warlike disposition that can be hired. I guess some of them should cost more, to show that they're being paid to fight, but others could cost less if they fought more for plunder than a salary. It would depend. However, since you wouldn't lose any money from giving those guys a share of the money gained from the looting script, it's better to leave the costs all the same, otherwise you would be able to recruit some really cheap troops. If there was a way to decrease the money gained from the looting script when having such units in your army, yeah, I'd lower their upkeep (at least that of some of them).

Apani's Avatar Senator

The RR guide says they are forced to fight with little to no pay as subjects of the realm. If that's the case, they'd cost about the same as rural levies.

That might apply to some of them, but not all.

Also, some of the levies and militia don't cost as much as they should. Even if they didn't have to be paid, taking them away from their jobs would cost the ruler money due to economic disruptions. I boost the cost of levies and militia to show that. It's ok if you keep them in settlements, or use them for short campaigns, but for long campaigns it's better to use professionals.

Apani's Avatar Senator

I see some animations are missing (like slow_spear). Is it because they're never meant to be used, or just because no unit in the mod needs them?

You can check the animation pack to see if there is a slow_spear.

Apani's Avatar Senator

There isn't.

Apani's Avatar Senator

Which stats should I give to a glaive? I thought: attack 5, charge 5, defense 5, delay 90, heat 3, x-r 0.45, AP, mount_effect +4, slashing. Basically -1 attack, +1 defense and +2 against cav compared to poleaxes.

Also, how do I calculate the number of rows in a unit's formation?

By the way, your pricing system makes mounted units always cheaper than foot ones due to lower numbers. Isn't that strange?
    Last edited by Apani; August 05, 2015 at 05:44 AM.

You got me thinking about how mounted longbowmen in the English army during the HWY got paid more than walking ones. Then again, that was probably to cover the cost of maintaining the horse. I already have a cost of the horse in the system, but I suppose the pay for cavalry soldiers could be increased by 1 or even 2 bucks, which would right away increase the cost of the unit by 50-100, 60-120, 70-140, or 80-160, depending on the size of the unit.

The glaive seems more like a swordstaff. I'd copy the stats for that.

The number of rows...uh...there are no rules for that. I try to make nice formations, not too blocky, not too strung out. The player can always change the formations before the battle starts, but the AI is too stupid to do it, so I try to make sure its units won't get pierced too easily or get surrounded too easily.

Apani's Avatar Senator

Does the melee weapon affect the radius of archers? It seems not, by looking at the EDU.

I don't know that for sure. It would make sense for it to do, since they're people like the regular infantry. But they need room to shoot their bows. I would take the larger value in each case.

it would be nice if we had like a XLS spreadsheet were you input all these variables from these tables and get the stat value you have to put in the EDU
    alas im not really good with excel :/

Both Moneybags and Mana were working on such things.

I seem to recall this being asked before but I can't find it. What are the criteria for a mail being "light" or "heavy"? Same for Scale, Lamellar, etc.

I think for mail it's a matter of wire thickness and ring diameter. The pattern would be the same, so can't be that.

For lamellar, maybe the thickness of the plates? Maybe the coverage as well (shoulders, thighs, arms, etc.).

Holidays turned out to be busier than expected. I'm working on my own program at the moment, but I can't really say it'll be completed anytime soon, since university work will start kicking in soon. Also, transforming the RC guide into something easily readable by human and computer is quite hard, especially with all the exceptions PointBlank put into the guide.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345