Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Development] First Faction Map concepts

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Default [Development] First Faction Map concepts

Hello,

here is one of the first faction list concept shown on the map.

Faction Map
    We're looking forward to see what the community can bring us about factions that we can add.

Some points:

• Rome 2 has a lot of factions and even some small tribes have own faction there
    • we can split one faction into two or more but only if they (splitted factions) have another action than the parent faction
    • don't forget about balance, lore and gameplay
    • the map and faction territories aren't accurate at the moment

Note: I think we can split orcs of the misty mountains into Moria and Goblins (maybe split them as well into Goblins of the Grey mountains and Goblins of the Misty Mountains). I think we have to remove the Dwarves of the Grey Mountains since there aren't anymore Dwarves of the Grey Mountains in the timeline we chose. Also we can try to add orocarni dwarves; I think we can merge Dol Amroth back to Gondor as it was a bad idea to cut the most powerful fiefdom out of it. Also we need to cut some territories of northmen (Kingdom of Dale) and leave only Esgaroth and Dale for kingdom of dale and give more territory to unnamed northrhun sub-faction (we also need a name for this faction, fictional...). Also we are thinking to split Shire and Breeland into 2 factions. Another good idea is to add the Druedain... SO shot!

Note: We have no idea if we ever can create the ME campaign map in Rome 2. This will be seen in near future, I suppose.
    Last edited by Vikus van de Merwe; January 13, 2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: minor layout corrections

Default Re: [Development] First Faction Map concepts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.J View Post
    Hello,

here is one of the first faction list concept shown on the map.

Faction Map
    We're looking forward to see what the community can bring us about factions that we can add.

Some points:

• Rome 2 has a lot of factions and even some small tribes have own faction there
    • we can split one faction into two or more but only if they (splitted factions) have another action than the parent faction
    • don't forget about balance, lore and gameplay
    • the map and faction territories aren't accurate at the moment

Note: I think we can split orcs of the misty mountains into Moria and Goblins (maybe split them as well into Goblins of the Grey mountains and Goblins of the Misty Mountains). I think we have to remove the Dwarves of the Grey Mountains since there aren't anymore Dwarves of the Grey Mountains in the timeline we chose. Also we can try to add orocarni dwarves; I think we can merge Dol Amroth back to Gondor as it was a bad idea to cut the most powerful fiefdom out of it. Also we need to cut some territories of northmen (Kingdom of Dale) and leave only Esgaroth and Dale for kingdom of dale and give more territory to unnamed northrhun sub-faction (we also need a name for this faction, fictional...). Also we are thinking to split Shire and Breeland into 2 factions. Another good idea is to add the Druedain... SO shot!

Note: We have no idea if we ever can create the ME campaign map in Rome 2. This will be seen in near future, I suppose.
    Mr. J

I would be fine with it either way. (either 50-million tribe-like sub factions) or around 20 real solid factions. But as it seems you guys are going for option 1 i will be happy to support that.

1, Start with DaC submod for TA they have a ton of factions though it looks like you guys already had most of them from the map.
    2, If you are going to split orcs into many factions be sure to keep their factions at least somewhat unique.
    3, I would say split Dol Amroth from Gondor. In the books it's clear to see they are a separate factions that is subject to Gondor. They have their own government, and own armies.So i would say to split them.
    4. This could also be done with: Lossarnach, Peligir, Lebbenen, Ithilian, Black Root Vale, and so on.
    5, You could seperate Harad into "Haradrim and Southrons"
    6, You could have the northmen of Dale with Esgaroth, and then call the southern lands "Men of Rhovanian".
    7, Separate the ruins of Arnor into the remnants of their old kingdoms (Ie Cardolan, Anuminias etc) but have them be rebel like and not on good terms with the Dunedain.
    8,You could make the Avari elves a wandering or horde faction after attila comes out. or if its possible to do with R2.

I dont think you need a million factions, just make sure the ones you do make are fun to play!

The plan is we not going to make all factions playable About DA. I read that Princes of DA swore to serve to kings/stewards of gondor. We cant split gondor on such many factions coz it wont be gondor in that way And DA has no logical and tactical position(except maybe umbar). Southrons and Haradrim the same on different languages?

The plan is we not going to make all factions playable About DA. I read that Princes of DA swore to serve to kings/stewards of gondor. We cant split gondor on such many factions coz it wont be gondor in that way And DA has no logical and tactical position(except maybe umbar). Southrons and Haradrim the same on different languages?
    Good point I think your right about DA.

I thought you just wanted to make every possible faction. Go for what your telling me!

Foederatus

What about Orocarni/Red Mountains?

they are shown on the map in far far east

dont split factions in too manny seperate ones if they are not unique,and what if you wanted to play as shire and then wouldnt have hobbiton,they are preety much the same,what is going to be a difference betwen them.and i think that dol amorth should be with gondor,and morgul with mordor

Foederatus

they are shown on the map in far far east
    But it doesn't have its own faction? (Like Orocarni Dwarves of Leo's Patch in TATW).

I'm with Bigby. Keep the #'s of factions down (arounds the 20's) and the qualaty and depth very high. It is for this reason people still play rome 1 11 years after its making. And very few people will play r2 after attila is out. FACTION DEPTH, UNIQUE UNITS these make factions and games live longer.

Submods can divide them up, but the base mod should keep them together.

But how would you fit empty regions on map? Rome2 has no rebel faction.

But how would you fit empty regions on map? Rome2 has no rebel faction.
    Would it be impossible to create a faction and call it "rebels" or "Bandits".

If not then do what you gotta do. I trust your judgement.

First off bandit faction is away from lore. We can create either smth like ruins(big faction which fits big empty regions) or we can create small unplayable factions same as in Rome2 (if we don't count artilery and generals they have only 7-9 units per unplayable faction).
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; January 19, 2015 at 10:36 AM.

Looks great at first glance. Question are the ents owned by rohan? do they start under rohans control? thanks.

“I am in fact, a hobbit in all but size”― J.R.R. Tolkien

i actually dont like bandits being in tatw,they were too weak and boring(mod was great i ejoyed it),I would preffer unplayable factions like tribal orcs,wild goblins...

It was smth like alpha or even pre-alpha map. I think we can separate ents as a single unplayable faction.

It was smth like alpha or even pre-alpha map. I think we can separate ents as a single unplayable faction.
    Cool, i'm all for small unplayable factions. Keep it up!

But du have a forget add faction is Gundabad from The Hobbit movie.

In fact Angmar has Gundabad as it's capital. We go with lore from books but visual(models, textures, UIs) are taken from movie concepts.
    Also this thread is created to see how community wants to see map. I posted only concept and was expecting the same map concepts from users.

I like the idea of breaking the factions up in some cases. Some should remain whole, but an alliance of factions tends to be more challenging to fight in Rome II then a single large faction. In the case of misty mountain Orcs, moria, blue mountains I really like the idea of several small factions over just lumping them all into Misty Mountain Orcs. They will tend to field a larger number of armies that way, forcing more defensive play which fits in my opinion.

As for gondor, would a client state / satrapy system not work? So long as their AI's weren't expansionist and fulfill a more defensive / provide income to gondor role. Umbar would need to be setup to apply enough pressure on them that they were unlikely to expand. And if setup properly the imperium system that limits the number of armies you may field would keep gondor players from just taking over their client states.

The ent's being their own faction is a good idea, as long as they weren't expansionist but were responsive to war coordination targeting once allied. It'd suck to not be able to directly control them but at the same time, I'm not sure I'd like them lumped into one of the other factions.

I think there are a lot of tools available within the rome II engine to make breaking down factions something worth considering.

The shire as a non playable client state to eriador would be fine.

I like that you've not lumped all the Clans into Isenguard as well, when i played them in TATW i generally just built Orcs and wasn't a fan of dunland and the other clans just being rebels, I kind of like the idea of isenguard having them as allies. Fits the lore better.

as far as i am concerned the main problem that they didn't release modding tools for maps. that's why all mods till now stick to european map of rome ii. that is the main obstacle on the great way to lotr. do you have any ideas or workaround on this?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast