Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The UNofficial WIP Screenshot Thread

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: The UNofficial WIP Screenshot Thread

Paladin never has had a very good sense of direction.

He was supposed to have set out for Mithlond from the Shire but somehow ended up in the Westfold...
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Bercor View Post
    That light comes from the East, so it has to be the rising sun.
    Well, I remember reading somwhere that in RTW sun rises in the west and falls down in the east for some reason. IIRC, using RS2 enviroments fix this issue. Not sure how it is with FATW enviroments as I never really thougt much about this kind of details.

The Sun rising in the West was way back in the First Age, IIRC. I think it was the first Men who awoke with the Sun rising in the West; that's why some of them turned in that direction and traveled to Beleriand.

Edit - lol, Tolkien nerdiness blinded me to the actual details of your post I had no idea RTW suns rise in the west - but that would be an interesting bit of verisimilitude for a First Age mod!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

You're right nevertheless.
    Anor and Ithil both initially started their voyage in Valinor, thus in the West, AND travelled back across the sky from the east, once they reached the eastern end.
    However, the everlasting light made everyone go utterly nuts (as should've been expected. Silly Valar), and henceforth, after setting in the West, they crossed the Gates of Night and were ushered below into the bowels of Ambar (that is the Earth, in the geological sense) by Ulmo's servant and moved to the East, where they entered the Sky again through the Gates of Morning.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Delayed the victory a bit to do some more testing, but honestly also didn't really want it to finish. I'd got OiE well developed, and just started getting some really good elven/elvellyn armies in position to really start putting the hurt on Adunabar.

Do you think the Elven campaign needs a bit more longevity?

Very cool - I see the Dwarves are acting as nice neighbors for you Did you manage to get peace with Dale?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Hmm, not sure, I think I tend to prefer a longer campaign than most people, and people can always set their own victory conditions and play on if they want (Wambat ). I think it's pretty well balanced in terms of difficulty and duration at the moment.

I probably could have got peace with Dale at this point had I wanted, but they were at war with Rhovanion and I wanted to keep them alive as a buffer state, so the peace wouldn't have lasted very long.

Did you gift those territories to the Dwarves? By the way, I think I got Victory screen around year 400. Since there is great incentive to use Glorfindel like crazy while you have him, it can be difficult to avoid a very early victory. On the other hand, it really isn't very Elven-like to want to conquer so much territory; but, what you gonna do? It's Total War, after all.

My Dwarven campaign is turning out very different to my expectations. My last experience with Dwarves was pre-release battles with Elves. Back then the Dwarven units were a match for the Elves, winning the majority of engagements, as once in melee the Elves could not compete. Now the Dwarves feel more like top tier RK units, only slower, and a lot less of them.

The Dwarves are a very difficult faction now, at least at the beginning. We will see how things go once I have my infrastructure well established. I have a feeling the Dwarves have a greater potential for expansion than the Elves due to their unsurpassed construction industry allowing them to convert provinces quicker and cheaper than any other faction.

Hehe, yes, webba has mastered the art of engineering the buffer state - it's a strategy I certainly had never thought of until some of the diplomacy discussions we've had here.

I'll agree that the Dwarves are more difficult than the Elves overall. That lack of cav has the potential to slow down your campaign, not just your battles, since you can't follow up on a victory to the same degree that other factions can.

My last campaign saw me hitting the Easterlings hard, eliminating or hording North Rhun and taking territory from Rhun. Those factions are your biggest threat initially, although Adunabar can be trouble in the west. Holding land in the East wasn't too bad in terms of public order, but it was difficult to bottle up Rhun to the point where I felt like I could take a breath. I also took over Dorwinion's initial territory.

I'm thinking of playing another Dwarven campaign, and this time I'd focus more on the North at first - take Sarnford and Lune, then move along the top of the map to take the other Dwarven settlement and Gundabad. Try to stop Adunabar from getting too big in Eriador. I'd let North Rhun live for a while in the hopes that they would block or delay Rhun's expansion, and then pick an Easterling faction to attack.

My dream for the Dwarves, though, is to plan a campaign where I take over all the exotic trade resources on the map - Incense in Khand and Far Harad, Ivory in Harad - and really get some use out of the incredible variety of Hirelings the Dwarves have access to.

My response was getting to long, so it is on the Campaign Report thread:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Reports/page6

webba84's Avatar Artifex

The buffer state approach certainly can make a campaign easier, but the main reason I do it is because I'm not actually a huge fan of fighting battles every turn. As fun as a huge battle can be, I find they will get tedious if they come too frequently, so I try to arrange my campaign as much as possible to let me develop my cities in peace .

Completely agree - I remember playing Adunabar back in TNS and fighting off a Harad full stack just about every turn on the Poros crossing. The only alternative was to let them besiege me in Emyn Arnen, or full-on attack them in Harad. If only I'd known I could just gift a Harondor province to someone!

Do you have some news about the next patch and Bree?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Not presently, no - Ive been taking a break from modding in the face of a quite stressful IRL period. When there is some news, you can be sure to see it here first.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234