View Poll Results: Are you excited about a Warhammer Total war hybrid?

Voters
407. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

222 54.55%
  • No

140 34.40%
  • I don't care

45 11.06%
Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: WARHAMMER officially confirmed!

Default Re: Total War: WARHAMMER officially confirmed!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    In the reign of Sigmar they began the process of shifting from a bronze age to an iron age society. That was 2500 years before the present where they have some prototype steam driven land ironclads, revolvers, and clockwork horses. Dwarfs currently use breech loading rifled artillery and breech loading rifles in their steam driven ironclads where in more traditional times they use torsion engines like scorpions and onagers. Skaven possess Gatling guns, flamethrowers, and lightning guns.

Basically Dwarf and Skaven Engineers are roughly 19th century technologically. Imperials are probably more like 17th century because the Dwarfs don't share their secrets. Everyone else is more medieval. Ogres have artillery but their weapons are acquired from the Orient or Dwarfs rather than made for the most part.

Technology advancement could definitely be a factor. Although I think he was referring to the differences between say Tomb Kings and Imperials. The former being a traditional ancient army albeit with legions of skeletons led by mummified pharaohs and their immortal priests while the latter are aforementioned as 16th to 17th century with a touch of steam and clockwork fantasy.

I look forward in particular to seeing how they address naval warfare. There's enough official information to give inspiration without having to conform too heavily to existing material.

Monsters that can fight on land or in the sea or in the air or on the ground would be excellent. Dark Elf Hydras and Charybdis and High Elf Merwyrms fighting in the sea would be awesome as Dragons battle for the skies.

We know they can make infantry, cavalry, and artillery. The question is can they make monsters and magic that feels like more than a re-skinned elephant or artillery piece. If not I for one will be disappointed.
    I'd love to see this happening, and those massive Varghulfs rampaging battlefield
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As for Navy it would be interesting, Norsca/Chaos would use Longships, Dark Elves with their fleet is already presented, and Empire (pictures below)

please use spoilers for large pictures
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 15, 2015 at 09:43 PM. Reason: added spoiler

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

I see no reason why CA cannot make Warhammer an interesting experience not sure if they will make it as dark as it appears to be from what I am reading in this thread.

Well, good luck and hope this decision is profitable for CA. I'm not in to Warhammer, so count me out.

Good luck to the Warhammer's funbase,and have fun.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Wimpy! Wimpy! Wimpy!

How quaint.

Hefty! Hefty! Hefty!

Heldenhammer: Imperial Flag Ship

Swordfish: Sartosan Pirate Flagship

Thunder of Grimnir: Dwarf Ironclad

Seadrake: High Elf Capital Ship

The Flaming Scimitar: Arabyan Yacht... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcuAw77J8_Y

Last edited by Col. Tartleton; January 15, 2015 at 08:05 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Leving View Post
    I never insulted or degraded anyone who does not share my view.
    lol, so still a game for children then? Does it have dragons and orcs also? ha ha!
    Warhammer is a poorly constructed and contrived fantasy universe designed to be sold to hormonal teenage boys
    If people want to play with paints, dolls and plastic army men then that is absolutely their prerogative.
    Just because the theme of Warhammer might be "dark" doesn't make it any less puerile.

Just because many people in modern society are impressed by that sort of tacky rubbish
    What I'm saying is that Warhammer fantasy specifically is banal and uninspired which is why its for children (teenagers).
    Warhammer is not exceptionally creative, it is simply banal.

Its just a deeply childish narrative,
    Last edited by von stoker; January 15, 2015 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by von stoker View Post
    lol, so still a game for children then? Does it have dragons and orcs also? ha ha!
    Warhammer is a poorly constructed and contrived fantasy universe designed to be sold to hormonal teenage boys
    If people want to play with paints, dolls and plastic army men then that is absolutely their prerogative.
    Just because the theme of Warhammer might be "dark" doesn't make it any less puerile.

Just because many people in modern society are impressed by that sort of tacky rubbish
    What I'm saying is that Warhammer fantasy specifically is banal and uninspired which is why its for children (teenagers).

I know nothing about it, but what you say does not ensure that it does not end being a good game, you know, we live surrounded by fantasy, more than what we realise. Not in dragoons and orcs forms but in the form of the truths that we believe that are not. And it does not grant a bad or good result. I want to say let's see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    I know nothing about it, but what you say does not ensure that it does not end being a good game, you know, we live surrounded by fantasy, more than what we realise. Not in dragoons and orcs forms but in the form of the truths that we believe that are not. And it does not grant a bad or good result. I want to say let's see how it goes.
    That wasn't his comment...he was quoting Leving. The guy that with an axe to grind against warhammer, who backtracks and revises his argument constantly. lol He started out bashing warhammer fans as children. When he got rebuffed on that (being a 35 year old Warhammer fan myself, with good cause), he changed his tactics to bashing the creativity/originality of the lore, then again jumping on another users cogent argument about mechanics creep. He simply has an axe to grind and von stoker was pointing out his more ignorant comments...

That being said I am really looking forward to this, I just hope they don't screw it up. To be honest after the RTW2 release I'm a little concerned they may oversimplify it.
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 15, 2015 at 09:45 PM. Reason: name calling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTWt...GyNRas0jk6NygQ Here's what seems to be a good overview from a Warhammer fan.
    Last edited by DavidtheDuke; January 15, 2015 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by von stoker View Post

Thank you for pointing out that I clearly did not insult or degrade anyone personally.
    Last edited by Cope; September 15, 2015 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshart79 View Post
    The guy that with an axe to grind against warhammer
    Really just within the remit of TW, that's all.
    Last edited by Cope; September 15, 2015 at 03:15 PM.

I didn't change my original opinion just because later on in the discussion I pointed out that I think Warhammer is a banal fantasy which lacks creativity. Simply thinking Warhammer sucks and is unsuitable for a TW game does not make me a "troll".
    We know this. We're just wondering if you have something else to say? It's going to happen.

Video games are for children. Table Top games are for adults.

You're such a noob. Uninstall please.

"I'm all for playing with models in a digital strategy game but don't get me started about playing with models in a physical strategy game."

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Anibal at portas View Post
    i speak of the authentic veteran players who love history and grand strategy, we have fought for years for a full war games that were the most historical potential with deep and immersion.i certainly do not speak of mediocre players who have for years praising the poor job of CA.
    I agree there are a great many of us who for years have been fighting for a more authentic historical war game. As such, Warhammer can only be seen as a setback. Also, its naïve to argue that this has no impact on historical games - it does and it will, and Warhammer and Attila are part if the sane franchise now, don't let any excuse making about 'separate teams' cloud your thinking on this.

One complaint I read earlier was that the small scope of the Warhammer Fantasy Battles wargame could influence TW moving for a smaller scope as well. I highly doubt this.

One of my good friends was designer for the Warhammer: Discwars licensed game put out by FFG. In talking to him, he let slip that GW is very careful to make sure that none of their licensed games are too similar to their own products, because they are extremely afraid of having them cut into their own sales. This is why the WH40k: Relic board game has busts instead of figurines, why the WH40k: Horus Heresy board game has miniatures using a different scale than GW's own Epic wargame, etc.

Basically, the one thing you can be sure of is that GW would never sign off on a video game that is of a similar scale to their own Warhammer Fantasy Battles. They're too afraid that peopel would rather play such a video game than buy GW brand Plastic Crack. So you shouldn't be worried about CA changing the scale to match the license.

p.s. If you like Warhammer Fantasy, myself and several other dedicated individuals are making a Warhammer mod for Paradox's "Crusader Kings 2." You can check it out here (if you've got a registered copy of CK2).

Vampire Counts better be in. It would be bloody amazing if you could have Aborash the Blood Dragon carving through hundreds of chaos daemons and spawns,

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    I agree there are a great many of us who for years have been fighting for a more authentic historical war game. As such, Warhammer can only be seen as a setback. Also, its naïve to argue that this has no impact on historical games - it does and it will, and Warhammer and Attila are part if the sane franchise now, don't let any excuse making about 'separate teams' cloud your thinking on this.
    Warhammer is fairly historically authentic for a fantasy setting. Blocks of spears, pikes, and halberds arrayed against lancers and heavy horse while horse archers and pistoliers loose arrows and pepper them with shot. Landsknechts with great swords and rodeleros cutting into archers, crossbowmen, and arquebusiers. Humans are only as effective as their arsenal, training, and courage. They dress in period costume albeit modified with the religious and cultural symbols of their fictional states and deities. The heroes are people who do something cool for about three minutes and then die horribly, the protagonists and narrators are more likely to be the survivors than super humans. They're hungry, lousy, dirty, and barefoot because their shoes wore out forty miles ago.

Yes, that is true. I don't like Warhammer.

Not sure that this is accurate...but whatever.

I said that Warhammer was for children. I made it perfectly clear that it is non of my business what interests other people pursue in their private lives. I couldn't care less if people want to play with toy soldiers, barbies or whatever else they want. Again, you are taking my assessment of Warhammer personally. Me disliking Warhammer has nothing to do with what I think about you on a personal level.

I didn't change my original opinion just because later on in the discussion I pointed out that I think Warhammer is a banal fantasy which lacks creativity. Simply thinking Warhammer sucks and is unsuitable for a TW game does not make me a "troll".
    Your posts are inflammatory even if they are not directed at any one person and you know it. Rather than bringing up a cogent logical argument, you commit argumentative fallacies based solely on your personal opinion. Your ignorance is obvious to us all. I envision a child stamping their foot on the ground, crossing their arms, and saying, "I don't like it". You have not added anything to the conversation other than a continuous steam of your personal opinion ad nauseam. That is trolling in my book. I embrace dissenting opinions, they will ensure CA addresses major concerns the community may have for future titles as well as the one in question. Total War is the best platform currently available for a warhammer game. Anything less than a total war type engine would do a disservice to the epic battles that the franchise demands. We now know this is a reality and any amount of stamping of feet and gnashing of teeth will not change that. Railing on with baseless opinion adds nothing to the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshart79 View Post
    That wasn't his comment...he was quoting Leving. The guy that with an axe to grind against warhammer, who backtracks and revises his argument constantly. lol He started out bashing warhammer fans as children. When he got rebuffed on that (being a 35 year old Warhammer fan myself, with good cause), he changed his tactics to bashing the creativity/originality of the lore, then again jumping on another users cogent argument about mechanics creep. He simply has an axe to grind and von stoker was pointing out his more ignorant comments...

That being said I am really looking forward to this, I just hope they don't screw it up. To be honest after the RTW2 release I'm a little concerned they may oversimplify it.
    So I said I know nothing about this, but now I think my knowledge of this matter is not nothing, I am in negative red numbers!

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Leving, seriously, you should back out of this before you embarrass yourself further. Your argument is meaningless and all over the place. You literally said, "Warhammer is for stupid children who don't know any better. No offense to anyone who likes Warhammer." That is an insult. If you cannot see how that is an insult, then I do not understand how you can function as an adult in society. You come here with baseless opinions about something that you are not very well educated in, and then you insult the people who obviously know far more about it than you do.

Pfft. Tolkien had a more mature world, really? Middle Earth is the bare bones, basic fantasy world. The Lord of the Rings is the most cliche thing I have ever read. Oh, the ironically small person with a big heart takes the magical item to destroy the evil sorcerer in a world full of orcs, elves, dwarves, and weirdly specialized human kingdoms? How deep and thought provoking. Tolkien's world is great, and there is plenty of lore, and the languages were a nice touch, but it is cliche and black-and-white and very clean. The good guys are good, and the bad guys are bad. Elves are majestic and wonderful and they never die and they're great and holy and pure. Sauron is terrible and evil and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Even the background lore is a pretty blatant ripoff of Christianity, with Morgoth literally exactly the same character as Lucifer. Im a fan of Middle Earth, but to claim it is fantastic, mature fantasy, while Warhammer is for babies?

You guys are thinking of Warcraft, methinks... :awesome:

Why do people keep making the assumption that Fantasy= Poor game mechanics? That makes no sense whatsoever. It is like they see the inclusion of fiction as suddenly childish somehow, or that adding some people with pointy ears to the mix suddenly completely destroys military tactics. Why do you guys think pike and shot tactics are going to be completely fine against Native Americans, but obviously stupid and childish and won't make any sense when put up against Orks?

Try this. Imagine regular, average Total War Combat. That's the baseline. It's going to be no more unrealistic than that. Now worry about having to be flanked by units that can fly straight over your troops. You have to manage air defenses while making sure your pike wall holds. On top of that, you have to make sure the terrain favors you, lest the enemy spellcasters are able to annihilate your expose infantry lines. Not to mention the horrible enemy artillery.

On top of that, you will have to deal with enemies that are much larger and stronger than your troops, not unlike trolls in the TATW mod. Or elephants, in base game Total Wars.

Fantasy isn't real, that doesn't mean it has to be unrealistic. Game of Thrones is one of the most authentic Medieval shows on television right now, and it's not even based in the real world. Warhammer is dark. Like, dark to the point where it's comically dark.

Go play the Warhammer mod for Medieval 2. See how their combat isn't ridiculous and lacking in tactics. Why would it be? You have not removed anything. Armies still have pikes and cavalry, swords, spears, shields, guns, artillery. Except now some of the units are giant, fire breathing reptiles that can fly, and some of them wear robes and shoot giant lightening bolts out of their fingers. You have only added additional tactical units to the battlefield. Never have you had to worry about air superiority in a Total War game before.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Default Re: Total War: WARHAMMER officially revealed!

Quote Originally Posted by StormOfRazors View Post
    I sure as hell hope not. I'm guessing that it will be a PC entry into the series. Its really the only option - Warhammer fans likely wont be too happy about a mobile game when they could have a full epic Total War game.
    This like my biggest fear right now. That WH:TW might not actually be a fully fleshed TW game but a F2P or multiplayer focused title without a real campaign aspect.
    Basically like Avatar Conquest from Shogun II I guess? Supper worried.